#1 Georgia vs #4 Ohio State (Atlanta, GA)

Ohio State has been on the wrong end of two controversial targeting calls in the playoffs that likely cost them the game. 2020 with Clemson and 2022 with Georgia.

Last edited:
Wasn't a deadball foul, he was attempting to break up the pass. They got rid of the 15-yard penalty regardless if targeting was upheld or not at least one season, if not two seasons ago.

Why wasn't illegal touching called on Harrison? He went out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball after coming back in. Referee's hat was off indicating the player had gone out of bounds.
Sorta. He was attempting to hammer the receiver as hard as he could. He wasn’t looking for the ball at all. But, intent is not part of the rule. I still think it was targeting, clearly hit him in the helmet with the side of his helmet. But it’s over, not worth arguing about.

As far as the illegal touching. My guess is they forgot about it after the targeting was reversed. The only diffference it would have made at that point was a field goal attempt from five yards farther back.

Are we biased? How many call reversals have favored the BIG TEN over their opponent? It SEEMS like every reversal goes against the BIG TEN, but is that real? Do I just not remember saying ‘well they caught a break with that reversal’, or has that really not happened?

Wrong,.

Players are also prohibited from targeting and marking forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. The rulebook says: “When in question, a player is defenseless.” And in this case, there needs to be at least one indicator of targeting.
Well, it was determined not to be targeting and there's nothing anyone can do about it now.

Wasn't a deadball foul, he was attempting to break up the pass. They got rid of the 15-yard penalty regardless if targeting was upheld or not at least one season, if not two seasons ago.

Why wasn't illegal touching called on Harrison? He went out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball after coming back in. Referee's hat was off indicating the player had gone out of bounds.
Doesn't have to be deadball to be unnecessary roughness. In fact late hit and UR are 2 different fouls.

He doesn't have to crouch or launch. He only has to forcibly strike the head and neck area. Without it being slowed way down, and the clip doesn't, it's hard to tell exactly where he was stuck. In the era of targeting, we have seen a shot like this called, and not called. It is almost silly to even argue about it, since it can go either way on every call. I mean, that one by the TCU player on the UM player, how was that not called? lol
I know, but others are claiming the defender did both.

He did not.

Lol all you want.
When you’re fourth and goal from the two, at that time in the game, you take the points.
Calling a double reverse in that situation is probably the dumbest play call imaginable.
It eliminated points and fired up TCU.
Double Reverse Pass - it was the Philly Special. Harbaugh got too cute. That was the 1st drive of the game though, there were still 55 minutes of football to be played. Again, you're completely dismissing TCU's play. The

Doesn't have to be deadball to be unnecessary roughness. In fact late hit and UR are 2 different fouls.
Fair, but I was assuming the poster in question wanted the penalty, even though targeting wasn't called, which was the rule a few years back.

Not sure how you can call unnecessary roughness penalty on that play though. What is the defensive back supposed to do, let him catch the ball for a TD?

Sorta. He was attempting to hammer the receiver as hard as he could.
In an attempt to break up the pass. .
He wasn’t looking for the ball at all.
What does that have to do with anything?
I still think it was targeting, clearly hit him in the helmet with the side of his helmet. But it’s over, not worth arguing about.
That's fair, I disagree. Didn't think it was live. Didn't think it was after 3 flags flew. And didn't think it was after replay.
As far as the illegal touching. My guess is they forgot about it after the targeting was reversed. The only diffference it would have made at that point was a field goal attempt from five yards farther back.
Had targeting been confirmed, that would have obviously wiped out the illegal touching. So I agree that is likely what happened. Was more a response to the poster who asked about unnecessary roughness penalty after they determined it wasn't targeting.
Are we biased? How many call reversals have favored the BIG TEN over their opponent? It SEEMS like every reversal goes against the BIG TEN, but is that real? Do I just not remember saying ‘well they caught a break with that reversal’, or has that really not happened?
The B1G or Ohio State? Ever since that flag in the Fiesta Bowl against Miami, it seems the Buckeyes have been on the wrong side of most 50-50 plays/calls.

Dawgs are unbeatable this year
Dawgs 45
Bucks 21
I’ll just be happy if they show some fight
I heard a group of pundits say recently, about the two semifinal games. That it's ALL about the matchups. GA-OSU is just a better matchup for both teams. And TCU-MEEchigan, for whatever reason, benefits those two meeting each other as well.

Last edited:
Have at it.....
Georgia won, because the Ohio State wasn't tough enough when it counted.
Is there a clear 3-4 that should be in the playoffs? Head to head I would take OSU over TCU. I envy Michigan drawing TCU. Georgia top ranking probably drew the tougher draw. Georgia had some average wins this year. If Georgia doesn't bring their A game, OSU might have a punchers chance.
WELL, OSU got Georgia's 'C' game until the fourth quarter. Does ANYBODY actually believe that a top ten draft pick was REALLY neutralized by an Ohio State stump OL, who got Jalen's 'C' game? And UGA's top pass rusher (ALSO a top ten draft pick) Nolan Smith, hadn't played since midseason.

Last edited:
Is there a clear 3-4 that should be in the playoffs? Head to head I would take OSU over TCU. I envy Michigan drawing TCU. Georgia top ranking probably drew the tougher draw. Georgia had some average wins this year. If Georgia doesn't bring their A game, OSU might have a punchers chance.
AVERAGE wins? How many of those AVERAGE wins do you suppose that the Big Ten CHAMPIONS would have won? TCU couldn't have beaten VANDY last season. OR would have MEEchigan in 2021!

Georgia won, because they Ohio State wasn't tough enough when it counted.

WELL, OSU got Georgia's 'C' game until the fourth quarter. Does ANYBODY actually believe that a top ten draft pick was REALLY neutralized by an Ohio State stump OL, who got Jalen's 'C' game? And UGA's top pass rusher (ALSO a top ten draft pick) Nolan Smith, hadn't played since midseason.
OSU missing players were far more impactful than what Georgia was missing. Georgia hasn't faced anything like OSU Offense and that wasn't the best they had. The matchup favored OSU. A couple of key injuries did OSU in.

AVERAGE wins? How many of those AVERAGE wins do you suppose that the Big Ten CHAMPIONS would have won? TCU couldn't have beaten VANDY last season. OR would have MEEchigan in 2021!
Overall it was a down year for College football. Georgia and OSU were the two most complete teams when the season started. OSU injuries were off the charts last year.

Overall it was a down year for College football. Georgia and OSU were the two most complete teams when the season started. OSU injuries were off the charts last year.
The Bucks had - what? - eight running backs injured during the year. Not appreciably better at year-end.

Georgia won, because they Ohio State wasn't tough enough when it counted.

Ohio State did not get Georgias C game. The two teams were pretty even, Georgia just had a much better coaching staff. Also Georgia did play a home game which helped alot.

Yes. Lost arguably the best wide receiver in the nation early in the season, lost their best tight end against Georgia and then the second best wide receiver in the nation in the Georgia game.
Just now recalling the final score 43-42. Ugh! iirc, GA had a successful two-point attempt in the second half.

A game for the ages! Switching thoughts to baseball.....

OSU missing players were far more impactful than what Georgia was missing. Georgia hasn't faced anything like OSU Offense and that wasn't the best they had. The matchup favored OSU. A couple of key injuries did OSU in.
SOOOOO, you don't think that a 100% healthy Jalen Carter and an healthy Nolan Smith, (out since mid-season) wouldn't have neutralized your QB1 from extending plays? It's hard to complete plays to your receivers, when your QB is on his butt.

SOOOOO, you don't think that a 100% healthy Jalen Carter and an healthy Nolan Smith, (out since mid-season) wouldn't have neutralized your QB1 from extending plays? It's hard to complete plays to your receivers, when your QB is on his butt.
You don't think a healthy Henderson and Williams wouldn't negate a healthy Carter and Smith pass rush? You think losing Harrison Jr. and Stover during the game didn't limit OSU's game plan? I think Georgia lucked out and didn't have to face the best OSU had to give. For OSU to do what they did despite all the injuries on both offense and defense all season long was amazing. No one got to see the best they could have been.

No, Georgia’s secondary was awful. You can’t really argue with a straight face that Ohio State was not much more short handed than Georgia, if Harrison Jr. didn’t get knocked out of the game Ohio State most likely wins.

Last edited:
No, Georgia’s secondary was awful. You can’t really argue with a straight face that Ohio State was not much more short handed than Georgia, if Harrison Jr. didn’t get knocked out of the game Ohio State most likely wins.
SWGA seems to have a hard time being happy about winning. Really weird. Hey SWGA, please tell me you graduated from UGA.

SWGA seems to have a hard time being happy about winning. Really weird. Hey SWGA, please tell me you graduated from UGA.

Yep, Georgia won and won the national title, that’s all that really matters. Ohio State was the walking wounded last season, that’s part of the game.