“Full steam ahead” for winter sports

The first day of wrestling practices have not been officially outlined by the OHSAA, which announced last week it is indefinitely suspending the state duals team tournament but maintaining the individual tourney.

After reading the article I ask myself- Shouldn't amending transfer bylaws with an exception accomodating athletes at schools not fielding teams due to pandemic be discussed and addressed now? Plan ahead perhaps?

Reactions: SCC
Ever since cancelling Winter Tournaments/Spring Seasons...it's been the OHSAA's stance that things are full speed ahead unless the Governor changes things. I like the attitude but I still believe the wrestling season will be very different than we've ever seen. That being said, hopefully they start discussing what precautions are going to be in place. There will need to be some sort of guidelines soon so coaches can adapt their schedules if needed.

Ever since cancelling Winter Tournaments/Spring Seasons...it's been the OHSAA's stance that things are full speed ahead unless the Governor changes things. I like the attitude but I still believe the wrestling season will be very different than we've ever seen. That being said, hopefully they start discussing what precautions are going to be in place. There will need to be some sort of guidelines soon so coaches can adapt their schedules if needed.

Well, with Iron Man cancelling that is the first BIG regular season domino. I would assume that we will start to see more of the big tournaments cancelling. Some smaller ones may still be held, but I would guess that coaches should start to get ready to try to structure a lot of duals, tris, and quads.

Agree. Here's a start. Will happily send this to Mr. Ute if it would be beneficial. Would be better if it came from established coaches in Ohio.

1. Practice start date remains original Nov 9 unless conditions in Ohio change dramatically.

*If changes do occur, then , move start Dec 1, first contest Dec 26. (I'd be glad to see the original Nov 9 start date, but again, this is a compromise to earn a good response).

2. Contests are weekly duals competitions only until post season. 4-6 teams max. (Dependent on size of gym/venue)
Gym/venue size will determine max team participation in any event, up to 6 teams. Gym must allow for proper distancing between wrestlers, fans and matside workers.

3. The regular sesaon schedule includes Dec 5. 12, 19; Jan 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Feb 6, 13, 20.

* If Dec 1 start date is required, contests begin Dec 26. Contest dates then include Dec 26, Jan 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 , Feb 6, 13, 20 - that gives nine events.

These simplified contest events allow the following safety measures to be implemented readily and routinely.

3. Training safety measures
- Temp checks before all practices and training sessions
- Wash face, arms and hands before practice
- Mats will be cleaned immediately before and after practice. Recommend bleach based cleaner. *Caution, care must be taken not to mix bleach containing materials with other cleaners, especially those containing ammonia.
- Any team member who travels out of region (county+ immediate surrounding counties) for other than competition must isolate from team for 10 days. Any team member hosting a visitor from outside of region in own home must isolate for 10 days.
- While Ohio's clime generally precludes this, training should be conducted outside in sunshine whenever practicable.
- Encourage all team members obtain adequate doses of Vitamin D and zinc. Recommend wintertime Vitamin D supplements be 200% of mRDA.
- Team members shower as soon as possible after each practice/training session.

4. Competition Safety Measures
- Temp checks before travel, repeated temp checks at weigh in
- Masks at all times until actually wrestling.
- Teams segregate in competition gym/venue.
- No shaking hands w/ other team. Including pre-meet lineups, post match, post meet.
- Gargle with hygienic mouthwash required before and after match.
- Competitor wash required immediately after each match
- Mat will have a quick damp bleach mopping between each match
- NO outside shoes on mats.
- Any team member who travels out of region (county+ immediate surrounding counties) for other than competition must isolate from team for 10 days. Any team member hosting a visitor from outside of region in own home must isolate for 10 days.
- Gym/venue size will determine max team participation in any event, up to 6 teams. Gym must allow for proper distancing between wrestlers, fans and matside workers.

5. Any team experiencing an outbreak will be required to report to OHSAA, and recent competitors. That team shall be restricted from competition until 1 full week after most recent identified new case.

Here is what it says in the Ohio Health Department Director's Order on Page 5 of 12 under Section C. Practices/Games/Tournaments subsection viii:

"To limit exposure of players, no teams shall play against more than a single opponent team in any twenty four hour period; provided that two teams can play multiple games or matches against each other within that twenty-four hour period, if desired".

If this stays the way it is written it is pretty clear that we will be wrestling dual meets this season. I wish we had some indication as to the start and finish of the upcoming season, I would like to try to begin to put together some type of alternate dual meet schedule for my team just in case this really happens. I do not want to be left scrambling at the last minute trying to schedule matches.

At this point it is anybody's guess as to what will happen. It is up to Governor Dewine and then the OHSAA. I suppose I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I guess I am just getting a little anxious about this season as it will be here soon and we have no idea of what anyone is thinking.

Good Luck Everyone

I encourage you all to reach out to your schools' district representatives. The state coaches board is currently working with the OHSAA to formulate protocols that could allow for a safe season should the Governor's office decide to make more restrictions. At this time we are hopeful and working together to ensure that there is some sort of a season.

Again, please reach out, I like some of the thoughts here and will be bringing to the table on behalf of the NE district.

Here is what it says in the Ohio Health Department Director's Order on Page 5 of 12 under Section C. Practices/Games/Tournaments subsection viii:

"To limit exposure of players, no teams shall play against more than a single opponent team in any twenty four hour period; provided that two teams can play multiple games or matches against each other within that twenty-four hour period, if desired".

If this stays the way it is written it is pretty clear that we will be wrestling dual meets this season. I wish we had some indication as to the start and finish of the upcoming season, I would like to try to begin to put together some type of alternate dual meet schedule for my team just in case this really happens. I do not want to be left scrambling at the last minute trying to schedule matches.

At this point it is anybody's guess as to what will happen. It is up to Governor Dewine and then the OHSAA. I suppose I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I guess I am just getting a little anxious about this season as it will be here soon and we have no idea of what anyone is thinking.

Good Luck Everyone

Does that mean you can play against only one particular single opponent team? So you're stuck with a single dual? No quads?
That may work for football, basketball and hockey, but it's lousy for many other sports. Hope the State is willing to revise.

“Duals only” will be bad for small teams (7 or less wrestlers).
• no good teams want to dual them.
• it’ll be tough to get good competition.
• big tournaments may be out, but mini-tournaments (6 teams) would be allowed (round robins or pools to brackets to get at least 3 or 4 matches).
• I don’t see good teams (Graham, Coffman, St Ed, Delta, etc.) wasting a dual meet and setting up the gym to give Johnny Studly from Smallville HS a dual meet match.

Good Luck Everyone
I think that is intended for "team" sports. Cross country and Golf are still having multi team invites.

I think cross country is carved out in the current health order to limit the competition to a certain number of athletes.

The health order's stance on golf is confusing. I don't know if multi-team events have been discontinued due to the edict or not. Especially with golf having been allowed to happen even in March, April, and May (i.e. courses were open for play if the weather didn't suck).

With them saying..."The first day of wrestling practices have not been officially outlined by the OHSAA, " Thats kinda scary IMO Which means they have no idea what they are going to do!!
BTW why limit it to 1 dual a week you can do 2 a week which would give you 22 duals for the season plus post season including league

• I don’t see good teams (Graham, Coffman, St Ed, Delta, etc.) wasting a dual meet and setting up the gym to give Johnny Studly from Smallville HS a dual meet match.
[/QUOTE]

Delta?! Really?! In the same sentence / category with Graham & Ed's?! Come on man. Coffman is a stretch too.

Haha.
Made your first post pinya.
Let me guess... Legacy, Troy Christian, Moeller, Springboro, Brecksville, Elyria, Louisville, Beaver, Bellevue, Waynedale,
Getting warmer??

Haha...No, not my first post. Just don't post much anymore. I have no dog in the fight. My kids are graduated, but still follow the sport. I just call it like I see it. While Delta had some good teams, the key word there is HAD. I like to live in the present, and presently, Delta has no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Graham and Ed's.

Guess I would've preferred for the OHSAA Director to say "We are planning ahead" rather than "Full Steam Ahead" for winter sports.