Search results

1. F

Coverage of High School Sports

Wayne County is an area that still loves its high school sports, especially the Wayne County Athletic League. The local newspaper was bought out by Gannett, leading to a cut in local sports coverage. Being away from metro areas, radio station WQKT remains key, with football & basketball...
  2. F

HS wheelchair basketball state final - Saturday 3/9 at U. of Akron

tl;dr The league is not run by the OHSAA, so it can make its own eligibility rules, in line with the league's mission of fostering the health (physical/PE, social/emotional, relational) of students with physical-disabilities. Compared to either OHSAA sports or community-based adaptive sports...
  3. F

#2 Tallmadge upset undefeated #1 Austintown 24-16 in the state championship game. The Blue Devils played outstanding team defense, preventing Austintown from getting good looks and holding the Falcons scoreless in the 4th quarter. Following a slow start, missing his first six shots, Tallmadge...
  4. F

I forgot to mention that the teams include a mix of kids with & without physical disabilities. Each team can have two non-disabled athletes in the game at any time, and three total in uniform, but each is limited to six points per game. A lot of schools like to use senior football players...
  5. F

Perhaps a bit below radar, interscholastic wheelchair basketball has been going on in Ohio since 2016. Currently, 13 school districts field teams, mostly in the Akron-Canton area, but some as far away as Dayton. The state championship game is at 5:00 on Saturday at the Akron Zips basketball...
  6. F

The OHSAA should be worried

NC is going to eight classes for all sports (as compared to the prior version with 8 for football only) as of 2025-26. https://myfox8.com/sports/football/friday-night-football/north-carolina-high-school-athletic-association-expanding-from-4-to-8-classifications/
  7. F

D3 Region 9 Playoff thread

Also a good question. I see two options: - Include the out-of-state games by using external evaluations (CalPreps, etc.) of the quality of the non-OHSAA opponents. - Simply leave the team at their pre-season ranking, based on what they did over the two prior years. Neither of these is a great...
  8. F

D3 Region 9 Playoff thread

The challenge with including games against out-of-state opponents is that you need to know how good those non-OHSAA teams are. This typically requires including all of their opponents, and those teams' opponents, etc. until you are ranking the entirety of every state that plays at least one...
  9. F

FINAL AP state poll

In defense of the sportswriters, it's really tough to keep track of the 700+ teams playing football across the state, especially with local newspapers running on fewer staff these days, meaning that the workload per person has increased. My biggest complaint with the AP poll is that...
  10. F

R15 Hartley/Philo cancelled

The first-round Region 15 game between #3 Bishop Hartley and #14 Philo has been cancelled, due to widespread illness within the Philo team. The Hawks (who were a 5-TD favorite) advance to meet the winner of the St Clairsville/Marion-Franklin game.
  11. F

D7 R25 2023

Yes, a two-point home field advantage is added to the host team's rating. This is a bit smaller margin than in major college football or the NFL.
  12. F

Joe Eitel: Please explain teams on the edge

Region 13 projected seeds (a possible outcome, without week 10 upsets) http://www.fantastic50.net/r13proj.html Region 13 seeding probabilities (with ranges of seeds for each team) http://www.fantastic50.net/r13seed.html From the Holy Name team page, if the Green Wave wins, they have a 79%...
  13. F

The Most Overrated Team In Ohio is… (Based on AP Rankings)

I am going with D4 Wyoming. The 75-game regular-season win streak is truly impressive, but they don't play anybody. Last year's state-final Cowboys team dominated that schedule, allowing just 28 points total in the entire regular season. This year's Wyoming team has had several close calls...
  14. F

Most losses in Ohio football

I don't know about all-time, but over the seasons 2008-2022, here are the most losses: 1) Vanlue (12-137) 2) Newark (18-132) 3) Hebron Lakewood (19-129) 4t) Akron North (16-128) 4t) Cuyahoga Falls (22-128) This incredible database could help with the "all-time" question: ohhsfbdb.net
  15. F

Farthest travel this year.

Week 10: Oxford Talawanda at Wooster (218 miles one-way). Both teams have a tough time finding non-conference opponents in week 10.
  16. F

Drew Pasteur's Updated "Fantastic 50" is up if you're so inclined

Thanks for this! I couldn't have said it better myself. Have a great season, everyone!
  17. F

D7 R25 2022

With 700+ teams, I couldn't keep up with injuries, etc. even if this was my full-time job. Regarding the Danville/Lucas game, both beat Hillsdale in close games at some point during the season. Last week, Lucas had 10-point win over a Lowellville team that I view as comparable to Hillsdale...
  18. F

Battle of the Football Rankings

After week 10, I had Tippecanoe (D3), Ansonia (D7), and Lowellville (D7) ranked, in place of Tiffin Columbian, DSJ, and Pandora-Gilboa.
  19. F

Longest 2nd round Bus Rides- 2022 playoff edition

North Carolina splits its playoffs into only two regions (east/west), and the small (1A) schools don't split evenly across the east & west, so there are some very long first-round drives. Here's a first-round game this week. Murphy (far western NC tip) at Albemarle (east of Charlotte) - 267 mi...
  20. F

Drew Pasteur's Fantastic 50 2022

If things slow down a little at my day job over the summer, I hope to implement the process & website entirely. The admittedly ambitious project would include historical rankings going back 10-15 years. However, these would be based on the new ranking methodology, not necessarily matching what...