Search results

1. M

Successful miling by former ohio champs!

I think it's worth remembering that Dustin Horter's career is not over yet. As State The Obvious points out, running sub 4:00 is really hard to do. I honestly thought Lucas would do it, but not this soon. I suspect Arjun will. I would love to see him race Lucas again. He, his teammate Andy Payne...
  2. M

COFFMAN ALUM, LUCAS BONS, DROPS A 3:55.45 Mile at HUSKY INVITE!!!

One correction. Lucas is in his first year at BYU. He went on his mission before going to BYU, and started there this fall.
  3. M

Ohio schoolboys who have gone on to break 4 minutes for one mile

One correction. Lucas is in his first year at BYU. He went on his mission before starting school, and started at BYU this fall. Redshirt for XC season and started competing in track this winter.
  4. M

A little bragging

I have been really impressed with the coaches at UK.
  5. M

A little bragging

That is indeed Lucas Bons from Dublin Coffman. It was an exciting race. And almost totally out of the blue. He hasn't even been back from his mission for a year yet.
  6. M

A little bragging

She ran an SEC record 22.41 yesterday. Her classmate Lucas Bons ran a sub 4:00 (3:55.45) mile.
  7. M

A little bragging

Picking up where she left off last year as #1 in the world in the 200 indoors.
  8. M

2008 Olympian Mary Wineberg - Pride of the Bearcats - Update

i can only remember one dropped baton in all of May. Chatted with Karl a bunch on relay strategy and technique when I was coaching Abby Steiner.
  9. M

2008 Olympian Mary Wineberg - Pride of the Bearcats - Update

I was coaching at Walnut while she was there. Mary was really good, but not the star of the team. She had a good attitude, insight, a good work ethic and talent. And she had a remarkable ability to bounce back from disappointing performances. A fun athlete to watch compete for your team.
  10. M

We did it.

It makes the uncertainty larger. (Just as it does for the study cited about about immunity from contracting the disease.) So that right now they can probably only see with strong certainty out to a year or two. The longer we go the further into the future the certainty extends. There are decades...
  11. M

We did it.

They do it in exactly the same way the cited study predicted the immunity response from Covid-19. You measure the antibody response over time. It's not perfect either. There are sometimes confounding factors. It's really cool math though.
  12. M

We did it.

Well, we do have flu vaccines, for the record. We have been getting inundated with calls to get vaccinated agains the flu for the past two months. The reason we were told that Covid-19 is more dangerous than the flu is because it is more dangerous than the flu. We have already lost several...
  13. M

We did it.

This is very hopeful. Extremely hopeful. But it has the problem that this is specifically studying those with enough symptoms to seek treatment. (This was pointed out by one of the authors in an interview on the radio.) If we did nothing, let everyone get it, we could still be looking at 5-6...
  14. M

We did it.

As of now, wrestling is still on. Big multi-team meets are a no-go, however. Swimming is also taking a beating because of closed or highly restricted venues for training and competing. I think having winter sports is likely going to depend on people altering their behavior so that we don't stay...
  15. M

We did it.

As psychodad pointed out, with infections and hospitalizations headed in the direction they are headed, I am more worried about losing another outdoor season than in trying to get in an indoor season. If you look at the actual square footage of indoor track facilities, even the largest ones will...
  16. M

Good Luck

Here is the link from OHSAA to the video feed: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/associations/ohsaa/cross%20country
  17. M

State Course Map Is Out

As Altor says, there is nothing like the 180 at the National Trails 1000 meters into the race. At least it doesn't look like the 180 on this course is that sharp. That sharp right turn is a lot worse in my view, than the much softer left turn at NT, which is also well over 500 meters into the...
  18. M

VOA or Cedarville?

Thank you psychodad!
  19. M

Covid Cancellations

U One of us laid out actual experience with the kind of data we are talking about and then said even that doesn't make him an expert. One of us said "I thankfully have strong knowledge on this subject." And decried "virtue signaling" while doing it.
  20. M

Covid Cancellations

I honestly cannot fathom what political agenda people think is driving "progressives" (which seems to mean the political spectrum from Bernie Sanders to Mike DeWine) to invent a crisis. I don't know any who wants this. To psychodad's point, read this at lunch today.