Search results

1. cardzfan1234

NEO DI Districts (East)

Let's use this thread to discuss the three DI NEO districts on the "East" pod. These 37 teams will be divided up into three district brackets, with a maximum of 16 teams per bracket. Here is the list of the teams...
  2. cardzfan1234

NEO Sectional/District Overhaul

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolsports/2021/01/northeast-ohio-high-school-basketball-district-tournaments-revamped-to-blended-seeding.html Surprised nobody started a thread yet, but did anyone notice the big news that came out yesterday? NEO District Athletic Board agreed to a major change...
  3. cardzfan1234

Cleveland.com Top Players of Decade

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolsports/2020/12/terry-rozier-sincere-carry-and-esa-ahmad-lead-clevelandcom-all-decade-boys-basketball-team.html Matt Goul did a really great job considering he didn’t cover the area hoops scene all decade and the sheer amount of good players in the area over...
  4. cardzfan1234

Greater Cleveland Conference 2020-21

In lieu of a thread on an individual team (probably the first time I didn't start a Mentor one in quite some time), I will stick with a league thread. Hopefully by January we will see the GCC in full swing. While not quite as deep last year with the departure of Shaker Heights (a team not as...
  5. cardzfan1234

Region 1 Final: Mentor (8-1) vs Medina (6-3)

In a rematch of Week 1, Mentor and Medina will meet on Friday for the Region 1 championship. Back in Week 1, Mentor won the game 37-19. The game was just 22-19 at the half before Medina QB Drew Allar went down with an injury, killing Medina's chances to knock off the defending Region 1...
  6. cardzfan1234

NEO Top 25

Northeast Ohio HS Sports Twitter account has finished its top 25 pre-season list for the area. A solid list. Any thoughts? If you remove Massillon, McKinley, and Orville (outside of the Cleveland.com coverage area) - I would guess 20 of the remaining 22 will also be in Cleveland.com's initial...
  7. cardzfan1234

Fallout of the Northeast Ohio Conference

My opinion is that the creation and the fallout of the much hyped Northeast Ohio Conference has been the major domino in this constant league shuffle in the Cleveland/Akron area. I see no end in sight. The NOC formed nearly 15 years ago on the combination of the Western Reserve Conference and...
  8. cardzfan1234

Greater Cleveland Conference Expansion

http://gccohio.net/2020/04/08/greater-cleveland-conference-looking-to-expand/ About a month ago, the GCC announced that they would be accpetion applications for expansion of the league. During the 2020-21 season, they are down to 7 teams. Beginning in the fall of 2021, the league will be down...
  9. cardzfan1234

Euclid District 2020

We enter 2020 and several teams are about halfway done with the regular season. The voting will start next month. There is a clear difference between the top three teams and the rest of the teams. The battle for the top seed is incredibly significant. The top seed has to win one big game. The...
  10. cardzfan1234

Mentor names Matt Gray as head coach

It was long believed to be the case, but today it is official. Matt Gray, the OC for the past few seasons, has been named head coach to replace Triv. It was the wishes of Triv that Gray would replace him, and he groomed him for it the last 12 months. The positives (continuity, similar...
  11. cardzfan1234

Greater Cleveland Conference 2019-20

The GCC has been one of the better leagues in Ohio the past several seasons. What does this season have in store? Here are the 2018-19 final league standings: Mentor 12-2 Euclid 10-4 Shaker 9-5 Solon 9-5 Medina 8-6 Brunswick 6-8 Elyria 2-12 Strongsville 0-14 Conference Outlook: The league...
  12. cardzfan1234

Pre-Season Cleveland.com Rankings

Matt Goul always does a great job (in my eyes) on high school coverage for Cleveland.com. In an era where most media outlets are doing less and less coverage, I think they are doing about as much as ever considering the limited staff. Here is the pre-season top 25: 1. SVSM 2. St Edward 3...
  13. cardzfan1234

Mentor Cardinals 2019-20

While the football team continues their memorable season, basketball is right around the corner. Mentor is coming off a 20-2 regular season, their most regular season wins (and best regular season winning percentage) in program history. Their tournament run saw them run into Solon for a 4th...
  14. cardzfan1234

Region 1 Semifinal: Mentor (11-0) vs McKinley (9-2)

Since the other thread turned into a McKinley vs Massillon thread... This should be Mentor's biggest test since they opened the season with Eds/Ignatius. The GCC provided almost zero push back. Cleveland Heights in Week 11 couldn't get much going either. Mentor is on a roll right now, but they...
  15. cardzfan1234

Region 1 2019

Any pre-season predictions for the 8 teams to make the playoffs? Here are mine: 1. St Edward (10-0) 2. Mentor (9-1) 3. Euclid (8-2) 4. Solon (8-2) 5. St Ignatius (6-4) 6. Cleveland Heights (8-2) 7. Lorain (8-2) 8. Canton McKinley (7-3) The 4th place team in the GCC (Medina or Strongsville) has...
  16. cardzfan1234

Week 1: St Edward vs Mentor

Thursday night at Lakewood Stadium, we get a Region 1 final rematch. Mentor's offense ran wild last August as they won at home in Week 1 against the Eagles, 42-39. Later when the two met in Week 13, St Eds flipped the script and knocked off the Cards 24-14 on their way to a 4th state title. Some...
  17. cardzfan1234

Canada's Football North (Clarkson)

They are on the schedule for several Ohio teams (St Ignatius, St Edward, Mentor, Lorain, St X, Elder) this season once again. They did beat Lorain last year, but lost to the rest of the Ohio teams. They had a win over Erie Cathedral Prep, a state champ in PA. Not sure what to expect from them...
  18. cardzfan1234

Greater Cleveland Conference 2019

I haven't noticed a thread for this, so here we go. The GCC in 2019 probably will have a pretty similar feel as it did in 2018. Mentor, Solon, and Euclid at the top. Medina and Strongsville in the middle. Shaker, Brunswick, and Elyria bringing up the rear. The top three teams all graduated a lot...
  19. cardzfan1234

Mentor's Coach Trivisonno says 2019 is final season

The 2019 season will be the 23rd, and final, season as head coach of the Mentor football program for alum Steve Trivisonno. He is the face of the program and is most responsible for the program becoming what it is today. Triv came to Mentor in 1997 and soon guided Mentor to back-to-back...
  20. cardzfan1234

Brush/Shaker game called for safety issues

In a highly anticipate matchup for both communities, the game was unfortunately deemed unsafe to continue after halftime. Brush was leading at halftime, 39-29. No, I wasn't there. In following the videos on Twitter, you could tell the place was getting pretty electric and rowdy. This kind of...