Search results

1. S

Official 2020 Region 1 thread

Since we know who is in the region and I don't see a thread started, figured I'll get it going. There is still a lot that will play out (specifically the Solon and St. Ignatius getting a late start) to get to a more concrete ranking. But after four weeks, I see two things: 1. This may be a...
  2. S

D1 Copley

It's a foregone conclusion that Medina will be the No. 1 seed and this is their district to lose, but it will be interesting to see how the rest of the seeding shapes out because looking at it, I have no clue how things will fall, but we'll see soon. I think Walsh Jesuit should be the No. 2...
  3. S

D1 Copley

Wrong forum (delete)
  4. S

Official future of the GCC thread

While all the Greater Cleveland Conference talk is being lumped in the SWC and the Suburban League thread, might as well start a thread concerning the schools that remain in the GCC (Medina, Brunswick, Strongsville, Mentor, Euclid, Solon). Common thought is that the league is doomed. While yes...
  5. S

Glenville-Collinwood merger?

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/10/collinwood-high-would-merge-into-glenville-10-other-cleveland-schools-could-close-in-district-downsizing.html Under the downsizing plan by the CEO of Cleveland Municipal School District, Glenville and Collinwood would merge. It sounds like it would be a...
  6. S

Welsh Academy (St. Ignatius)

We'll see how this goes, but I think it is a topic worth discussing, and it is something that I don't necessarily believe is being done only to boost St. Ignatius' athletic programs even further (especially football and basketball), but it is something that appears will definitely have that...
  7. S

Notable injuries/DQs/withdraws

I always root for all the top performers to advance to see how low times can go (or how high distances can go) but unfortunately stuff happens along the road to the state tournaments that sees state placing/championship caliber athletes not advancing for injury/DQs and then have some athletes...
  8. S

Seven Glenville grads currently in the NFL

I know Glenville for years has always been among the top five or so high schools for active NFL players, but I was watching the video from Marshon Lattimore being cheapshotted by Mike Evans in the Saints-Buccaneers game and saw that Justin Hardee blocked a punt that he scooped and scored in that...
  9. S

Division II semifinal pairings

There is a chance of something happening that I would be willing to bet has never happened before. If Wadsworth wins R5, Barberton (or Hoban) wins R6 and Massillon R7, three schools in the state semifinals would be within 20 miles of each other. The Region 8 winner will likely be a Cincinnati...
  10. S

D1 boys Amherst predictions

How do you see the team standings shaking out? To me, looks like Ignatius is a slight favorite as they have a ton of scoring opportunities, with a lot on the top end. But it seems like it could be a very tight race for the title. My take: 1. Cleveland St. Ignatius: I think they finish 2nd in...
  11. S

Hypothetical: Cuyahoga County (west side) consolidation

Since we're about as far away as it gets from football season, figured I would toss out this hypothetical scenario (and I know it is not going to happen; this area is way to Balkanized for it to happen) where the 16 public high schools on the west side of Cuyahoga County (plus Cuyahoga Heights...
  12. S

Greater Cleveland Conference 2016

Sorry, if this has already been created, but did a search and didn't see a similar thread. I haven't been around lately, but thought I'd get a thread about general discussions for next year. This isn't on-the-field news, but I heard this weekend that Strongsville is getting field turf for...
  13. S

John Hay-Glenville (Senate talk)

OK, Glenville probably wins big, but does John Hay have any shot at handing Glenville its first Senate loss in, what, 18 years? I see Hay is 8-1, and for Senate standards, looks to be a semi legit 8-1. Hay is the Cleveland Municipal School District's "marquee" "normal" school. And seems to be...
  14. S

R1 after Week 6

I'm assuming Ed's will finish off a freezing team from Cocoa, Fla., and there may be a couple OOS games out there, but the picture is pretty clear. 14 spots seem to be locked up. The 15th and 16th spots could be up for grabs, but somebody has to come up to take one of those. Here is how I now...
  15. S

R1 after Week 5

Figured I'd get the discussion started. Now that we are halfway through, I ran my numbers, fwiw. These are just my predictions, and I didn't go wild on "upsets", so they are sure to be adjusted. 1. St. Edward, 9-1, 40.19 2. Mentor, 9-1, 31.95 3. Westerville Central, 29.25 4. Berea-Midpark, 9-1...
  16. S

Strongsville at Medina

Who wins this battle for fourth place in the GCC? Seriously, though, this is going to be a good game against two good teams. I think a lot of what I said in the Euclid-Solon thread is the same here. Right down to the home team (Medina) likely needing it a bit more. I don't know much about...
  17. S

Three NEO players taken in the NBA Draft

Congrats to Terry Rozier (Shaker Heights), Larry Nance Jr. (Revere) and Aaron White (Strongsville) for being taken in the NBA Draft. They were the only Ohio players selected. In fact, they were 3 of the top 42 Americans taken. I figured Rozier was a top 20 pick and White would be a second...
  18. S

NEO players in the NCAA tourney

Saw a SWO thread, I'm interested in a NEO list. Unless I'm missing some, it seems like a lot less players in total numbers than most years, but the guys who are on tourney teams are almost all contributors. 1. Aaron White (Strongsville)-Iowa, F. All-Big 10 first team. Averaging 16-8-2...
  19. S

Strongsville vs. Berea-Midpark

Looks like this will be the game in SW Cleveland I expected now that Strongsville is back and Berea-Midpark has a year under their belt post merger. Berea-Midpark is 2-0 with two blowouts over two decent programs (though not strong this year) in North Royalton and Garfield Heights...
  20. S

Strongsville (1-1) at Berea-Midpark (0-2)

I might as well start a thread on this game even though there aren't many fans of either teams on here. After some pretty good games between Strongsville and both Berea and Midpark (late 70s to early 00s), the neighboring schools will meet again for the first time in almost a decade (been over...