Search results

1. cardzfan1234

2020 Greater Cleveland Conference

By 2021, 2/3 of DI teams will make the playoffs. I imagine that the GCC will easily send 4 or 5, and possibly all 6 teams to the playoffs. I don’t know if that will impact a team’s decision to give the league a try, but it doesn’t hurt. On the one hand, expansion should loosen programs’...
  2. cardzfan1234

Mentor Cardinals Football 2020

Eric Frantz, current editor as MaxPreps following a career as major contributor to JJHuddle/Ohio High Magazine, compiled his list of the top ten Mentor football players over the last decade. Privately, during this lockdown I have been working on my own list of the top 20 of the last 20 years. I...
  3. cardzfan1234

Fallout of the Northeast Ohio Conference

I did mean to leave them like that. If Mayfield and Kenston felt my version of the WRC was a better fit, I can't see who would join up with the PAC if they aren't willing to take a private school like University, Lake, or NDCL. But someone could move those around and leave Kenston and/or...
  4. cardzfan1234

Here is a version that removes private schools from the Suburban and PAC Pioneer: Strongsville, Brunswick, North Royalton, Medina, two DI Parma schools, Berea, Elyria, Brecksville Western Reserve Conference: Nordonia, Hudson, Twinsburg, Stow, Mayfield, Kenston, Aurora, Cuyahoga Falls Walsh...
  5. cardzfan1234

Yeah, I get it. I'm not as intimidated by the whole private/public thing personally. Mentor rose to the challenge of Ignatius/Eds and the end result was that Triv had a winning record against both programs. I wouldn't recommend a public league embracing a program that is above them. That is why...
  6. cardzfan1234

Fall High School Sports In Jeopardy After Latest News

True, but many of these youth leagues (dare I say the majority of them) rely on school fields for their leagues. Without school facilities being available, it is incredibly difficult for a youth league to operate. If DeWine and the OHSAA maintain that all school fields be shut down until (at...
  7. cardzfan1234

Fall High School Sports In Jeopardy After Latest News

Yeah, it would. But I don't think that should motivate the decision. It would've been impractical for HS spring sports to start practicing in May, let a lone late May. Just not enough time. But now as more information has come down the pike, let's not cancel little league baseball and softball...
  8. cardzfan1234

I agree. I don't see how including a private school into your league makes your players more likely to be "recruited" and leave. It's not like players in Willoughby don't realize that Lake Catholic exists. Or that the athletes of Stow, Twinsburg, and Hudson would magically realize "Hey, Walsh...
  9. cardzfan1234

Mentor Cardinals Football 2020

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/Ht0HMRQ4NUaSJyaWBoABwA/a-dozen-difference-makers--high-school-quarterbacks.htm MaxPreps unveiled their "Dozen Difference Making QB's" across the Great Lakes Region (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana). Ian Kipp made...
  10. cardzfan1234

My opinion is that the creation and the fallout of the much hyped Northeast Ohio Conference has been the major domino in this constant league shuffle in the Cleveland/Akron area. I see no end in sight. The NOC formed nearly 15 years ago on the combination of the Western Reserve Conference and...
  11. cardzfan1234

Greater Cleveland Conference Expansion

The GCC was always a league built on convenience, not preference. It was comprised of mostly a group of schools that were only together because no other league wanted them. At the time of the GCC being created, only Shaker (and probably Euclid) were schools that could've had other options. The...
  12. cardzfan1234

Brush in the WRC seems to make a lot of sense. And yet, Brush did apply to the Suburban - so clearly they aren't content with the WRC. Just because they applied to the Suburban doesn't mean they would want to go to the GCC or LEL - but it could. Yes, boys basketball (the only sport where Brush...
  13. cardzfan1234

VASJ Part Ways with Babe Kwasniak

Classy Tweet from Babe congratulating his former assistant. While some people who lose their job go the route of posting on HS message boards to express their frustrations and trash their enemies, some others know how to take the high road. I'm sure Babe will get a job again soon if he wants...
  14. cardzfan1234

2020 Greater Cleveland Conference

Two more GCC players (both from Euclid) commit to DI schools this week. WR Armond Scott (6'3, 200) commits to Kentucky DE/OL Alex Reese (6'4, 280) commits to Akron Euclid is pretty loaded with talent this year.
  15. cardzfan1234

As for Shaker students (and others) during the National Anthem - I concur with Auggie's experience. I found their behavior during the anthem to be incredibly disrespectful. While I don't agree with the actions of some professional athletes to kneel during the anthem in year's past - at least I...
  16. cardzfan1234

Depends. But for the most part, teams have left, will leave, or have tried to leave for travel first and foremost. A close second is competition in football. Third would be the suspected racism (according to Shaker) that apparently only exists in OTHER schools they play in the league...or at...
  17. cardzfan1234

It would work to end the league. If Medina, Brunswick, or Solon wanted to schedule St Eds or St Ignatius in football (and to my knowledge, they haven't in quite some time - maybe not ever), they would. I wouldn't blame any of the GCC schools (including Mentor) if they didn't want to accept Eds...
  18. cardzfan1234

Football would be a struggle. But are they THAT far away from competing with Strongsville and Brunswick during some of their dry spells? I don't know. Plus like I have brought up before, the relationship that Walsh Coach Alexander (likely) has with the Mentor coaches has to help out a lot. I...
  19. cardzfan1234

Any school applying has to think there is a pretty good chance that the league could fold after the first two year cycle (2021-22 and 2022-23). By the end of 2023, I would be very surprised if all the current six GCC schools (Mentor, Solon, Euclid, Brunswick, Strongsville, and Medina) are all...
  20. cardzfan1234

Brush is an interesting speculation. On the one hand, their varsity football might have a losing record if they faced the GCC JV teams - let alone their varsity. They went 0-10 in 2019, although to be fair they had 6 DII and DIII playoff teams on the schedule. But on the other hand, does it...