Search results

1. R

NFHS rule changes for 2024-25

Did atopthesummit just make an appearance?
  2. R

When is enough

When I coached HS Softball we called off the dogs at 15 runs ahead after the second inning unless you could just tell the opponent was never going to get back in it then maybe after the first. One base at a time but let the hitters have their ABs. We would leave 3rd early that way we could...
  3. R

I disagree, it's probably the exact opposite. Bigger lead gives more incentive to get the finish by TF. A narrow lead will see more stalling because giving up one big move now could be 7 points instead of 5. Up by 9...get the tech. Up by 4...stall it out.
  4. R

"Finally, the committee approved a new Referee’s Time-Out Signal. The signal, which is used in many other sports, is both hands/fingers pointing inward to the referee’s chest." I'm SO glad they changed this...I was always confused about when an official called timeout. Who called it? Was it a...
  5. R

The Next GOAT

Most of that 58% never saw Smith or Baumgartner wrestle. Both are beyond Burroughs.
  6. R

Brayton Feister's season unfortunately comes to an end

I didn't realize he was up at 285 for the post season. Didn't he wrestle 215 early in the year?
  7. R

Brayton Feister's season unfortunately comes to an end

Wouldn't he have run into Shulaw?
  8. R

Central Ohio State Placers

Isnt Heath a combined C/E/SE district? Many of those kids aren't actually central kids.
  9. R

Central district 4× state placers (DI)?

Most of the people being mentioned were not D1 and the OP was asking for 4x D1 placers.
  10. R

Coaches Lying on records for seeding purposes

Not necessarily. I know of a guy who didn't win a single tournament all season until the state meet (back in the 80s). He was a "big move/junk move" guy and went 3rd at district, 3rd at regional, state champ. Hit head and arms like his life depended on it and hit them all at the right time...
  11. R

Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

I asked this question to the OHSAA years ago (I believe it was to Tyler Brooks) and was told that what I said is correct. You are not required to follow the 1.5% rule from day one or ever if you don't want to cut weight. If a kid weighs 200 and can cut to 182 they can wrestle up as long as...
  12. R

Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

If she had not yet made scratch at 105 she can still drop the weight to 105. If she had wrestled at 105 already THEN went back up to 112 plus she loses 105. I have always been unclear on whether a wrestler can then go back down and make scratch again to "recertify".
  13. R

I'm truly confused as to why the second wrestler was DQ'd. The rule is copied from the OHSAA site and pasted below. If I have been reading correctly it sounds like they are saying she was below her allowed weight for the day but the underlined part of the rule says that is perfectly fine as...
  14. R

For the improper weight descent…what if she had been sick for the last week and lost a bunch of weight from puking and not eating due to being sick. That’s out of her control.
  15. R

I agree with you on not going after the wrestler but the coach is fair game. Coaches should know the rules and know not to put their wrestler in a situation like this. The coach could have gone to the weigh in official and tournament director and explained the situation and gotten permission...
  16. R

I talked to Jamey Kasser about this once and he said when he was in school they were allowed to wrestle a dual and tournament each week of the season. He had a year with something like 13 tournament wins (counting post season). I doubt you will ever see this again.
  17. R

I saw quite a few records at sectionals with over or around 50 already...many kids will hit 60+.
  18. R

Just looked it up, you are correct. Breakdown: 6 two day 10 match tournaments = 60 matches 1 one day 6 match tournament = 6 matches state duals, your team wrestles the maximum = 6 matches sectional = 6 matches (if you get the right draw) and get 3rd or 4th district = 6 matches (same as above)...
  19. R

Is there a match limit per weekend/event? If not...you can now get 12 matches in a two day event and that would change the total. Might get more than 90 now! I'll have to look it up. I retired from coaching HS in 2017 so I may be behind the times.
  20. R

If you maximize your scheduling points, wrestle at least 1 match in state duals, and place in state below 1-2 you can get 89 matches in a season. We figured it all out a few years ago.