2022 HS season

I wouldn't change it. It was VERY early in the season and probably a good thing. Loss to X only fueled them and made them hungrier.

Lol no chance. 23-1 is still one of the best regular seasons in Elder history. It'll be up there, but not exactly, with the 2008 Elder team if they can finish the job. Only loss is a super close 5 set match to St. X and everyone else finished off in 3 or 4? That's one of the best seasons ever for Elder.
Feel like this is one of the best teams we’ve seen in recent memory for Ohio. have essentially 0 weaknesses it’s seemed for the past month

Lol no chance. 23-1 is still one of the best regular seasons in Elder history. It'll be up there, but not exactly, with the 2008 Elder team if they can finish the job. Only loss is a super close 5 set match to St. X and everyone else finished off in 3 or 4? That's one of the best seasons ever for Elder.
You’re probably right, I’m just a perfectionist

Centerville took a game from Elder?
Correction, they did not. Three close ones, 25-23, 25-20, 26-24. My mistake, knew I should have looked it up beforehand. So other than their 5-set blemish against X, have only had 7 other sets taken from them all year (St Ignatius, Beavercreek, Northmont, Moeller, X, Olentangy Liberty and Sycamore) and no other match went further than 4. That's pretty wild.

Last edited:
Where are the likely upsets in each region? Honestly, I dont know the East or North as well as the South or West.

I don't think it would be a true upset, but based on seeding, I think X beats Walnut and then goes on to beat Moeller. If they can use their chip on their shoulder to their advantage and channel their emotion, I think X beats Moeller, too.

Where are the likely upsets in each region? Honestly, I dont know the East or North as well as the South or West.

I don't think it would be a true upset, but based on seeding, I think X beats Walnut and then goes on to beat Moeller. If they can use their chip on their shoulder to their advantage and channel their emotion, I think X beats Moeller, too.
Both east region finals are tossups imo, with the odds only going slightly to the higher seed.

MTV avenged some of their early season losses and hasn’t seen Liberty since. They both played DeSales recently and Liberty fell 0-3 to them while MTV went down 19-17 in the 5th (obviously not exactly reliable to judge teams off of transitive games). MTV taking Liberty’s bracket also tells me they think they have a shot and want to avoid Elder in the quarterfinals.

Thomas dropped a Bo3 to Pick Central, but apparently were dealing with injuries, and they also went 24-22 in a final Bo3 set against Liberty. I imagine Thomas will come in with a chip on their shoulder, but Pick Central will have some confidence. Also Thomas took 4 sets to put away a 9-15 Upper Arlington. Could have just been tournament nerves though.

Of course, this assumes they all win their semifinals.

Both east region finals are tossups imo, with the odds only going slightly to the higher seed.

MTV avenged some of their early season losses and hasn’t seen Liberty since. They both played DeSales recently and Liberty fell 0-3 to them while MTV went down 19-17 in the 5th (obviously not exactly reliable to judge teams off of transitive games). MTV taking Liberty’s bracket also tells me they think they have a shot and want to avoid Elder in the quarterfinals.

Thomas dropped a Bo3 to Pick Central, but apparently were dealing with injuries, and they also went 24-22 in a final Bo3 set against Liberty. I imagine Thomas will come in with a chip on their shoulder, but Pick Central will have some confidence. Also Thomas took 4 sets to put away a 9-15 Upper Arlington. Could have just been tournament nerves though.

Of course, this assumes they all win their semifinals.
I'm gonna tack Pick Central and Liberty to make it through.

Don't discount Jerome. They're a team that traditionally ramps it up for the postseason and plays their best at the end. They've made 4 (I think?) straight regional finals. With their size and blocking, they could pose a problem for PC. The problem is that they're streaky, so it depends upon which version of Jerome shows up.

Darby seems to be playing well too, going 5 with Creek last week, plus a win against PC in the OCC Challenge. They've gone down in 4 to Thomas both times this year, but could pull the upset on Wednesday.

For Division 1:
In the East you could see Mt Vernon take out top seed Olentangy Liberty. Darby against Thomas Worthington is an intriguing matchup as well. I think PC beats DJ.

In the North, I think the winner of Jackson/St Edward will give Hudson all they want in the Regional Final. St Ignatius should sweep to State in their two matches.

In the South, interested to see which of Sycamore and Loveland meet Elder, and how much of a fight they'll put up. In the bottom half Moeller has to have the advantage if only because they would only have to play one of St X or Walnut, whereas the other two have to get through one another before Moeller. I think X is the most talented team of the 3, but the most talented team doesn't always win.

In the West, I think Centerville should coast to State - West, East and Fairmont aren't what they've been in previous seasons. Beavercreek and Northmont seem to be on a collision course, I give the edge to the Beavers in that matchup.

For Division 2:

In the East it seems like it'll be pretty chalky - #1 DeSales vs. #2 St Charles.

In the North, I could see Walsh or Hoban make a run, even though they're lower seeds than Brecksville and SVSM.

in the South, it's Badin's bracket to lose. I think LaSalle could make them uncomfortable in the Regional Final, but I think the Rams prevail.

In the West it's going to be really fun to see if Carroll can reclaim some of their early season magic. Or if Alter has gotten healthy and can make a run. I also wouldn't count out Fenwick sitting there at #4 on Carroll's side.

For Division 2:

In the East it seems like it'll be pretty chalky - #1 DeSales vs. #2 St Charles.

In the North, I could see Walsh or Hoban make a run, even though they're lower seeds than Brecksville and SVSM.

in the South, it's Badin's bracket to lose. I think LaSalle could make them uncomfortable in the Regional Final, but I think the Rams prevail.

In the West it's going to be really fun to see if Carroll can reclaim some of their early season magic. Or if Alter has gotten healthy and can make a run. I also wouldn't count out Fenwick sitting there at #4 on Carroll's side.
St Charles should play with a chip on their shoulder. They beat league opponent Desales both times during the season but still got put at the 2 seed. This is likely due to Desales sweeping Liberty late, but I would expect that St Charles team to come out angry.

For Division 1:
In the East you could see Mt Vernon take out top seed Olentangy Liberty. Darby against Thomas Worthington is an intriguing matchup as well. I think PC beats DJ.
The East bracket for Division 1 is the most intriguing to me.. There are a few teams that could come out of that E2 bracket. Will seeds hold and TW get out? I am not as sure as i would have been in the beginning of the season. I think TW gets past Darby in 4 but after that, they would be looking at a potential rematch of PC who just took them out. Any idea if these matches will be streamed?

The East bracket for Division 1 is the most intriguing to me.. There are a few teams that could come out of that E2 bracket. Will seeds hold and TW get out? I am not as sure as i would have been in the beginning of the season. I think TW gets past Darby in 4 but after that, they would be looking at a potential rematch of PC who just took them out. Any idea if these matches will be streamed?
I believe all Regional Finals are streamed through OHSVBA but I don’t know about the semis

Biggest match of the day today, Walnut Hills v. St. X! Who u got? Definitely helps Walnut with the home gym advantage. Walnut in 4!

OHSBVA only shows the Regional finals. I presume the semis will be up to the folks who are hosting the games.
From what I saw on twitter, it looks like the St X student broadcast team (ESPX) will be streaming from Walnut tonight. Maybe Walnut wasn't going to broadcast it.

I think X will win in 4 but hoping for Walnut in 3.
I think X in 4 as well...when Walnut voted them 4th and X said that was fine and that we'll come after you, Walnut, i think that X is going to get some juice from that. Should be a fun a crazy fun atmosphere...Nut House will be going crazy.

I think X in 4 as well...when Walnut voted them 4th and X said that was fine and that we'll come after you, Walnut, i think that X is going to get some juice from that. Should be a fun a crazy fun atmosphere...Nut House will be going crazy.
Walnut’s new coach should have the confidence in his guys to vote them 3rd after they handled X the way they did. On the other hand, I’ve heard he didn’t send stats for all-state voting so that’s really stupid and, in my opinion, letting his players down. Especially when Wheatley has a real shot at 1st team.

Walnut’s new coach should have the confidence in his guys to vote them 3rd after they handled X the way they did. On the other hand, I’ve heard he didn’t send stats for all-state voting so that’s really stupid and, in my opinion, letting his players down. Especially when Wheatley has a real shot at 1st team.
That is sad to hear if true. Wheatley definitely had a shot at 1st team, and Smith Trondle probably could have made HM

Injury to Noah the setter when Walnut was up 5-9/10ish game number 1. Never really recovered and Noah didn’t play the rest of the match. Just a terrible situation for Walnut.