Youngstown Ursuline in 2022?

At one time Ursuline's feeder programs were schools to the north of the Mahoning River: St. Columba, St. Brendan, Immaculate, Sacred Heart, Sts. Cyril & Methodius, St. Elizabeth, St. Lucy, St. John the Baptist, St. Joseph the Provider, St. Christine, St. Rose, St. Patrick (Hubbard), St. Casmir, Sts. Peter & Paul, St. Edward, Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. Joseph (Austintown).
Cardinal Mooney's feeder programs were schools to the south of the Mahoning River: St. Dominic, St. Stanislaus, St. Mathias, St. Nicholas, St. Charles, Holy Family, Holy Trinity, Byzantine Catholic Central, St. Jude, St. Patrick (Youngstown), Holy Rosary, St. Michael.
I'm probably missing some. Only a few of the above feeder schools remain due to what has happened to the Valley since Black Monday (9/19/77).
Several years ago the Diocese of Youngstown relaxed the river boundary so now students can attend either school as their parent's decide no matter on what side of the river they reside.
On your post #110 you post Hubbard was 3-17 against Ursuline.

You proudly state Ursuline has/had around 14 "feeder schools", but "Hubbard only has one" as do most of the Valley public's.

14 for Ursuline
1 for Hubbard

? How true this statement is.?
On your post #110 you post Hubbard was 3-17 against Ursuline.

You proudly state Ursuline has/had around 14 "feeder schools", but "Hubbard only has one" as do most of the Valley public's.

14 for Ursuline
1 for Hubbard
I didn't proudly state anything. I was just stating the fact that Catholic feeders today are very limited compared to the days before the steel industry collapsed and Youngstown became the buckle of the rust belt. The total enrollments of Ursuline & Hubbard were comparable most years---in the same division or Hubbard being a division larger. Catholic school graduates didn't all attend Ursuline or Mooney. Some nationality parish schools (eg. the Campbell parishes, St. Casimir, Holy Name, etc.) had small enrollments. Larger parochials such as St. Charles & St. Christine saw substantial numbers attending Boardman, Chaney, Fitch. A joke among Mahoning Valley Catholics today: "What is the largest Catholic school in the Mahoning Valley?" Answer: "Austintown Fitch!" In my own family most of my Catholic nephews attend Fitch or Boardman. In a previous era as many 8th graders at Sacred Heart or Immaculate attended East as Ursuline while St. Columba & St. Edward grads split between Rayen & Ursuline.

Last edited:
Hubbard is 3-17 vs. Ursuline. Reardon is not Pelini. Yes, Hubbard has a beautiful stadium. I agree about Mooney. It's like a death wish for Mooney to keep him. I wouldn't want my son playing for him.

Cincy, are you able to post the Years and Scores of those Hubbard-Ursuline games? Thanks.

Cincy, are you able to post the Years and Scores of those Hubbard-Ursuline games? Thanks.
1933-Ursuline 8, Hubbard 6
1959-Hubbard 28, Ursuline 20
1960-Ursuline 42, Hubbard 22
1969-Ursuline 16, Hubbard 0
1970-Ursuline 20, Hubbard 16
1972-Ursuline 20, Hubbard 6
1973-Ursuline 22, Hubbard 7
1974-Ursuline 26, Hubbard 6
1975-Ursuline 6, Hubbard 2
1976-Hubbard 17, Ursuline 12
1977-Hubbard 15, Ursuline 12
1978-Ursuline 6, Hubbard 4
1979-Ursuline 27, Hubbard 20
1984-Ursuline 28, Hubbard 6
1985-Ursuline 21, Hubbard 0
1986-Ursuline 14, Hubbard 0
1987-Ursuline 27, Hubbard 7
1988-Ursuline 36, Hubbard 0

Off topic here but does anyone in ytown know if the Golden Dawn is open? It was supposed to reopen in the fall but I haven't heard. Great memories at the Dawn:)
My memories from 60s & '70s were Ursuline games at Rayen followed by the Golden Dawn. It was to Irish fans what MVR became for Mooney. I'd love to see it back in the Valley. Soooooo much history...
Last time I went by there about a month ago, it didn't look like it was open yet for business. I had heard that the Naples son (Johnny?) that bought the place did invest some $ into some upgrades in the kitchen and other things. Also heard, not surprisingly, he was having trouble hiring kitchen and wait staff help. Let's hope he can find some workers and get the place up and running, as it would likely do well just on the nostalgia factor alone.
These were posted in this thread back on February 1st. Pleased to report that "The Dawn" is finally re-opening Friday! ?

I need to know more about the 1978 game.
It was the kind of classic game the SVC was famous for in those days. Two late 4th quarter safeties were self inflicted by the Irish. 6,000 fans at Hubbard. "It was a contest that included crisp hitting, hard running, six fumble recoveries, six intercepted passes, and several penalties." -The Vindicator. Hubbard was stopped at the 5 yard line late in the 4th which lead to the two safeties. Both teams had 9 1st downs. Ursuline had 126 yards rushing, Hubbard 113. Hubbard had 60 yards passing to 0 for the Irish. Of note the 1st anniversary of Black Monday September 19 occurred around the time of that game.

Last edited:
In 1978, Ursuline punter Mike Davanzo, a first team all-SVC lineman from St. Christine parish, intentionally took two safeties while punting from deep in Ursuline territory. Great calls by the late, great Ursuline coach, Jim Maughan. Coach Maughan was a resident of Hubbard. Probably another reason HubSnapper is obsessed.

It was the kind of classic game the SVC was famous for in those days. Two late 4th quarter safeties were self inflicted by the Irish. 6,000 fans at Hubbard. "It was a contest that included crisp hitting, hard running, six fumble recoveries, six intercepted passes, and several penalties." -The Vindicator. Hubbard was stopped at the 5 yard line late in the 4th which lead to the two safeties. Both teams had 9 1st downs. Ursuline had 126 yards rushing, Hubbard 113. Hubbard had 60 yards passing to 0 for the Irish. Of special note Black Monday October 19 occurred just a couple of weeks after that game.
Back when hubbards field was a mound. Standing on one sideline looking across you couldn’t see the other players pants lol

In 1978, Ursuline punter Mike Davanzo, a first team all-SVC lineman from St. Christine parish, intentionally took two safeties while punting from deep in Ursuline territory. Great calls by the late, great Ursuline coach, Jim Maughan. Coach Maughan was a resident of Hubbard. Probably another reason HubSnapper is obsessed.
Maughan was thrilled in '72 that he won his first conference championship at Hubbard.

Last edited:
I know that HubCapper is obsessed with Ursuline. He can’t stop talking about Ursuline. I guess 3-17 will do that to you. I love that the mere mention of Ursuline triggers his obsession. It’s amusing.
He's obsessed with anyone who doesn't think Hubbard is the greatest place on earth. Also love how he tries to portray the Eagles as being entirely home grown.

Canfield hasn't played Ursuline in football in almost 30 years anyways. Canfield does play Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney in the minor sports still. There was a period where Canfield briefly dropped Mooney in most but not all sports, most notably boys basketball.
1983-Ursuline 48, Canfield 14
1984-Ursuline 27, Canfield 7
Interestingly the Canfield games for Ursuline both years was sandwiched in between games vs. Struthers & Hubbard. Both Struthers & Hubbard had left the SVC by then but they continued to schedule the Irish for several years. Ursuline usually opened or closed with the 'Cats in those days and usually over 6,000 attending those rivalry games. Fun days long gone.

1983-Ursuline 48, Canfield 14
1984-Ursuline 27, Canfield 7
Interestingly the Canfield games for Ursuline both years was sandwiched in between games vs. Struthers & Hubbard. Both Struthers & Hubbard had left the SVC by then but they continued to schedule the Irish for several years. Ursuline usually opened or closed with the 'Cats in those days and usually over 6,000 attending those rivalry games. Fun days long gone.
That Ursuline vs Struthers game in 82 @Stambaugh seemed a lot more than 6000...

I didn't proudly state anything. I was just stating the fact that Catholic feeders today are very limited compared to the days before the steel industry collapsed and Youngstown became the buckle of the rust belt. The total enrollments of Ursuline & Hubbard were comparable most years---in the same division or Hubbard being a division larger. Catholic school graduates didn't all attend Ursuline or Mooney. Some nationality parish schools (eg. the Campbell parishes, St. Casimir, Holy Name, etc.) had small enrollments. Larger parochials such as St. Charles & St. Christine saw substantial numbers attending Boardman, Chaney, Fitch. A joke among Mahoning Valley Catholics today: "What is the largest Catholic school in the Mahoning Valley?" Answer: "Austintown Fitch!" In my own family most of my Catholic nephews attend Fitch or Boardman. In a previous era as many 8th graders at Sacred Heart or Immaculate attended East as Ursuline while St. Columba & St. Edward grads split between Rayen & Ursuline.
Their are probaly more Catholic students at D - 7 Marion Local than " The U ".

Their are probaly more Catholic students at D - 7 Marion Local than " The U ".
It is easy to make flippant statements such as this loaded with disinformation. Just create your own facts when you don't know what you are talking about. I don't know the percentage of Catholics at Ursuline and neither do you. I served in Catholic secondary schools in SW Ohio for 39 years and taught Catholics, Buddhist, Hindu, 7th Day Adventists, Primitive Baptists, Syriac Christians, no religion, you name it. It didn't matter, they were all our kids. From the start of parochial schools over 100 years ago to serve immigrant families we have welcomed families of all stripes. Ursuline's identity is Catholic to the core, rooted in the charism of Saint Angela Merici and the Ursuline sisters.

Last edited:
It is easy to make flippant statements such as this loaded with disinformation. Just create your own facts when you don't know what you are talking about. I don't know the percentage of Catholics at Ursuline and neither do you. I served in Catholic secondary schools in SW Ohio for 39 years and taught Catholics, Buddhist, Hindu, 7th Day Adventists, Primitive Baptists, Syriac Christians, no religion, you name it. It didn't matter, they were all our kids. From the start of parochial schools over 100 years ago to serve immigrant families we have welcomed families of all stripes. Ursuline's identity is Catholic to the core, rooted in the charism of Saint Angela Merici and the Ursuline sisters.
To be fair you also said that Ursuline doesn’t take any voucher students which would lead someone to believe you don’t know what you’re talking about either.

To be fair you also said that Ursuline doesn’t take any voucher students which would lead someone to believe you don’t know what you’re talking about either.
Also to be fair I was told straight out by the UHS administration several months back that they have no voucher kids presently. They have in the past but it created a headache of problems. So what if they did? Many public schools do. Another brush to paint Ursuline as vile or fake in who they say they are? What's all this about who's Catholic or who isn't as if that's something sinister?
I do know what I'm talking about as to my own personal first hand experiences of near four decades teaching in Catholic secondary schools which are beyond innuendo or second/third hand information. My experience is first hand. True I love Ursuline and all it has meant to me and thousands of graduates since 1908. But I don't hate anybody else and I don't put down anybody else. I make no disparaging remarks about anybody else.

I am sure this has been asked, but who is going to replace Brady Shannon, McElroy and Boyd? Some big shoes to fill. Also, the defense has to get better this year.

Big game in week 1 as well. Brookfield looks the part and a very confident group this year. Should be a good week 1 matchup.

I'm guessing the qb would be a junior... forget his name. Main rb might be lynch and there are a few wrs coming back. The defense was fairly young with many being soph last year. Curious to hear other comments.

I am sure this has been asked, but who is going to replace Brady Shannon, McElroy and Boyd? Some big shoes to fill. Also, the defense has to get better this year.

Big game in week 1 as well. Brookfield looks the part and a very confident group this year. Should be a good week 1 matchup.
I think that confidence will be inflated by halftime, hope I’m wrong tho