D7 R25 2022

Regarding NIL/high school -- Kaden Saunders (Westerville South/PSU) and Gabe Powers (Marysville/tOSU) both kicked the fire publicly on this over the summer, not a second too late after SCOTUS was 'down with the cause, and OHSAA threw a flag. https://www.dispatch.com/story/spor.../no-nil-ohio-high-school-athletes/7828286002/

The one interesting takeaway was...
Tim Stried said:
"Our student athletes are probably not fully aware of bylaw 4-10, and there are some school administrators that aren’t even aware of that," Stried said. "We need to educate everybody so that we don’t have any high school student athletes accepting money for advertising any product or site. ... Long story short, the high school student athlete cannot capitalize on his or her name, image or likeness at this point."

I suspect we won't actually ever see NIL*compensation come to Ohio HS athletics. It's just pretty apparent, for literally everyone to see, how that's going to result in a "picking Winners versus Losers" situation. Nationally, the only indication NIL at the secondary level would "affect" (hurt?) Ohio is the small handful of HS athletes that obviously have big name potential in non-football sports going to out of state factories like Huntington Prep (WV), La Lumiere (IN) or wherever and making bank. Of course, that's more pertinent to prospects like Darryn Peterson or Jerry Easter, and not "White Chocolate" Troyer out of Berlin Hiland.

---

Although... I do think state champion kids should be remunerated by the OHSAA for being shills for the "Big Chocolate Milk" lobby. Official drink, eh? Pay up!

Because HS sports shouldn't come down to whoever has the deepest pockets wins. In that scenario, all your town needs is a George Steinbrenner type to move in. That county's best athletes would flock from miles around with their hands out.
My bad - for NIL i was talking specifically about college not HS. Agree that if NIL was implemented in high school it could get BAD quickly.

That said, it really could happen in high school with less "impact" than in NCAA. OHSAA has no jurisdiction over kid's jobs (if they're minors that's what labor laws do). If a Subway owner hires the QB and then pays him to be on some billboards - it's a job. For NCAA that was a castrateable offense until a year ago.

Last edited:
Regarding NIL/high school -- Kaden Saunders (Westerville South/PSU) and Gabe Powers (Marysville/tOSU) both kicked the fire publicly on this over the summer, not a second too late after SCOTUS was 'down with the cause, and OHSAA threw a flag. https://www.dispatch.com/story/spor.../no-nil-ohio-high-school-athletes/7828286002/

The one interesting takeaway was...

I suspect we won't actually ever see NIL*compensation come to Ohio HS athletics. It's just pretty apparent, for literally everyone to see, how that's going to result in a "picking Winners versus Losers" situation. Nationally, the only indication NIL at the secondary level would "affect" (hurt?) Ohio is the small handful of HS athletes that obviously have big name potential in non-football sports going to out of state factories like Huntington Prep (WV), La Lumiere (IN) or wherever and making bank. Of course, that's more pertinent to prospects like Darryn Peterson or Jerry Easter, and not "White Chocolate" Troyer out of Berlin Hiland.

Although... I do think state champion kids should be remunerated by the OHSAA for being shills for the "Big Chocolate Milk" lobby. Official drink, eh? Pay up!
Last point is SPOT ON. Went to finals several years ago with friends. Looking at the program noticed a buddy's kid who played in the finals the year prior was one of the players on the cover. We texted him and the response (paraphrase to avoid getting in Yappi trouble) was "doubt we'll ever see a check for that advertising"

Last point is SPOT ON. Went to finals several years ago with friends. Looking at the program noticed a buddy's kid who played in the finals the year prior was one of the players on the cover. We texted him and the response (paraphrase to avoid getting in Yappi trouble) was "doubt we'll ever see a check for that advertising"
We never got any $$$ either. May be class action lawsuit time. :ROFLMAO:

D7 Regional Finals.jpg

This is only the beginning. NCAA football is eventually going to be the wild west.
Eventually?! Hell it’s there already. It‘s all out war now. When you have the #1 recruit in the country commit to a lower tier Jackson State team (Yeah I know Neon Deon coaches there but still) and kids being guaranteed $50,000 cash without even playing a single down it’s gone berserk.

I’m not against these kids getting money as they deserve it but there are absolutely no rules right now other than the University themselves cannot pay.

Eventually?! Hell it’s there already. It‘s all out war now. When you have the #1 recruit in the country commit to a lower tier Jackson State team (Yeah I know Neon Deon coaches there but still) and kids being guaranteed $50,000 cash without even playing a single down it’s gone berserk.

I’m not against these kids getting money as they deserve it but there are absolutely no rules right now other than the University themselves cannot pay.
Travis Hunter is receiving 1.5mil from Barstool Sports and his other NIL deals to attend Jackson ST. In total his NIL deals reached 3mil to attend Jackson St. That's why Travis Hunter isn't a Nole. Welcome to college football in 2022. Caleb Williams QB from OU received an offer from Charlie Batch for 1mil to transfer to Eastern Michigan. Big money boosters have changed the landscape of college football forever.

My bad - for NIL i was talking specifically about college not HS. Agree that if NIL was implemented in high school it could get BAD quickly.

That said, it really could happen in high school with less "impact" than in NCAA. OHSAA has no jurisdiction over kid's jobs (if they're minors that's what labor laws do). If a Subway owner hires the QB and then pays him to be on some billboards - it's a job. For NCAA that was a castrateable offense until a year ago.
This is truly where I could see HS sports going. And maybe the compensation is not monetary but the athlete gets free Subway whenever he wants or something like that. And honestly, I don't think it effects what school a kid goes to because its community based - the local Subway owner doesn't care really who the kid is, just that the kid is wearing the hometown colors on his billboard. Right (at least for the most part)?

I have such mixed feelings on all the NIL stuff. I believe it should be within ANYONE's right to make money off their own image and likeness if they're able to. If I'm super famous because I'm the ugliest person in town, I should be able to make money on that if someone is willing to pay me for it. Right?!

Also, I see the other side of it - where it creates and contributes more to the "haves v. have nots".....but OHSAA doesn't do anything to stop that from happening now, so why should they care?! Best example I can think of is Massillon. Just your average everyday public school right? Then you open the newspaper and see a Nike Helicopter hand delivering their new uniforms before a big game, or you walk into their gym and see the giant Nike symbol on the wall. Well damn, why isn't Nike sponsoring and doing that for my school? Oh wait, its because Massillon has image and likeness and XYZ school doesn't. Why is it ok for the schools to benefit from image and likeness but not individual players? Sounds A LOT like the NCAA doesn't it?!

I have zero problem with NIL in the NCAA. Those kids make MILLIONS for their respected schools. In HS, however, I think it is a BAD idea. Dangling money in front of kids who are not fully developed mentally/emotionally is a recipe for disaster. Can't we at least wait until they reach 18 y/o? Seriously. Who thinks 15 year olds should be getting endorsement deals with Under Armor? There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

I think they keep Stutz at QB, but will get Pearson some reps, he can definitely make all the throws and is a pretty good athlete. May get some time at safety. Also agree about the earlier comments at RB - I expect Siders will carry the ball some as will rising sophomores Tomlinson and Hess. Tomlinson can be pretty electric. He isn’t real tall, but he is not a frail kid, solidly built and aggressive. As I mentioned before, they have some good young receivers as well - dawgs will be fine
Dalton will definitely be fine. They play a traditional small school schedule in football, and will be favored in 8 or 9 of their regular season games next year. Their line should be better next year after a year of experience and growth with four of the five linemen returning. They will not have the home run hitters that they had this year at the skill positions. The biggest of those home run hitters, Jaden Schlabach, is up to three full ride D2 offers in football (Walsh, Findlay, Notre Dame-Cleveland). JFK is the favorite in this region until somebody knocks them off.

Travis Hunter is receiving 1.5mil from Barstool Sports and his other NIL deals to attend Jackson ST. In total his NIL deals reached 3mil to attend Jackson St. That's why Travis Hunter isn't a Nole. Welcome to college football in 2022. Caleb Williams QB from OU received an offer from Charlie Batch for 1mil to transfer to Eastern Michigan. Big money boosters have changed the landscape of college football forever.
Yep it's full blown crazy. Things have changed and they ain't never comin' back. Welcome to the Wild Wild West of Sports.

Yep it's full blown crazy. Things have changed and they ain't never comin' back. Welcome to the Wild Wild West of Sports.
It's insane. BUT (inserty Snidely Whiplash cackle here) part of me thinks it's glorious. NCAA tried to CONTROL so much for so long that it's finally blown up in their faces. There's a ton of great coaches, but there's also been a lot horrible human beings who have made gobs of money on these kids. Just read this morning about Todd Graham (famous for twice leaving schools after 1 year & notifying players by text) causing a hearing in the Hawaii State Senate because players are leaving in droves.

No one wants to see the game we love "ruined", but at the same time, there is something that feels like vindication in these kids & their families having ways to leave bad situations/bad leaders.

Bottom line - after a few years you're going to see this "freedom of movement" really impact the programs/coaches who are just grabbing anyone they can. The good & great programs/coaches will hardly notice.

It's insane. BUT (inserty Snidely Whiplash cackle here) part of me thinks it's glorious. NCAA tried to CONTROL so much for so long that it's finally blown up in their faces. There's a ton of great coaches, but there's also been a lot horrible human beings who have made gobs of money on these kids. Just read this morning about Todd Graham (famous for twice leaving schools after 1 year & notifying players by text) causing a hearing in the Hawaii State Senate because players are leaving in droves.

No one wants to see the game we love "ruined", but at the same time, there is something that feels like vindication in these kids & their families having ways to leave bad situations/bad leaders.

Bottom line - after a few years you're going to see this "freedom of movement" really impact the programs/coaches who are just grabbing anyone they can. The good & great programs/coaches will hardly notice.
Yeah I agree. The cream will still rise to the top and NIL money aside the top guys still have higher aspirations of reaching the next level. The transfer portal has gone crazy this year as well but eventually it will settle down some. I always thought it was BS when kids had to ask and get permission to transfer. Some of them are running away from competition but there’s only a limited number of years they are eligible to play so they have to make the most of it.

Want further proof that NIL has gone full blown crazy? Won we too can get in on the action.

For those of us without Twitter:

Brian Schottenstein
@DaSchott

For everyone asking me about timing of my charitable nil fund for @OhioStAthletics students…I will be launching it by the Spring Game, but can announce tonight that my great friend @CJ1two will be running it with me!

We are going to create the biggest nil charitable fund in the Country and this will also be fan based, so anybody can contribute to the student athletes, who will help out local charities.

Anyways sorry to take away from the true meaning of this thread.

Will be some good teams in this region again next season. Best of luck to all teams.
All good, brother. This thread is a hodge-podge of all things football. Glad your on here taking part! Richland County's own!
Completely agree. That's why this thread is so much fun. You can't really get "off topic" if the topic is something the participants want to talk about.

Side note - I saw that message over the weekend & had to do some digging. Recognized the name and thought "surely this can't be the guy who's given all that $ to OSU." He didn't, but his daddy sure did.

(Thinking of questions or things to post so our thread doesn't go a full 24 hours without a comment...)

Anyone know if the expanded playoffs are a permanent thing now or is that something that hasn't been decided on for next season? I assume its here to stay just looking for confirmation....

(Thinking of questions or things to post so our thread doesn't go a full 24 hours without a comment...)

Anyone know if the expanded playoffs are a permanent thing now or is that something that hasn't been decided on for next season? I assume its here to stay just looking for confirmation....
I assume it is here to stay as well. Personally, give me 8 or 12, but the money involed in 16 teams will obviously drive their decision.

I assume it is here to stay as well. Personally, give me 8 or 12, but the money involed in 16 teams will obviously drive their decision.
It's so incredibly dumb though, it would be nice to not have our latest/most important games being played on entirely snow covered fields like we did in regional final games last year. Granted, you can't control the weather in Ohio, but if you reduced the number back down and cut the extra week out - I'd rather take my chances weather wise with that extra week. Not to mention, these teams with deep runs, those kids miss the first what, 2 weeks of the basketball season now?!

It's so incredibly dumb though, it would be nice to not have our latest/most important games being played on entirely snow covered fields like we did in regional final games last year. Granted, you can't control the weather in Ohio, but if you reduced the number back down and cut the extra week out - I'd rather take my chances weather wise with that extra week. Not to mention, these teams with deep runs, those kids miss the first what, 2 weeks of the basketball season now?!
Let me be the first to congratulate everyone for making the 2022 playoffs

The back end of the season is the same weeks it has always been. The extra week was added to the front end so the season starts a week earlier in august now. The regional finals have always been the weekend before Thanksgiving, just as they were in 2021

The back end of the season is the same weeks it has always been. The extra week was added to the front end so the season starts a week earlier in august now. The regional finals have always been the weekend before Thanksgiving, just as they were in 2021
I know, and I like that part of it.....so keep the dates where they are, and eliminate the first round of playoffs again. Waalaa!

Western Reserve dropped JFK Week 2 for next year. So as of now JFK has Weeks 2 & 5 open

Champion
Open
Gmen
Sandusky Perkins
Open
Moggy
Rootstown
STA
CCC
Southeast

Western Reserve dropped JFK Week 2 for next year. So as of now JFK has Weeks 2 & 5 open

Champion
Open
Gmen
Sandusky Perkins
Open
Moggy
Rootstown
STA
CCC
Southeast

A couple of observations. It is good to see Champion playing us every year. Most area schools, for whatever reason, still harbor grudges against JFK and refuse to compete against the Eagles. Western Reserve may be the latest example. However, it is good to see CCC remains an annual opponent stemming from the North Coast days. Let’s hope this is a long lasting relationship.

By the way, is STA stable enough to field a team in 2022?

A couple of observations. It is good to see Champion playing us every year. Most area schools, for whatever reason, still harbor grudges against JFK and refuse to compete against the Eagles. Western Reserve may be the latest example. However, it is good to see CCC remains an annual opponent stemming from the North Coast days. Let’s hope this is a long lasting relationship.

Champion is probably on the schedule for the long term, they get a sizable gate when we play there. WR is just another in a long line of teams that plays us, gets beat, then drops us. Id put them firmly in the participation trophy crowd. We have a pretty good relationship with CCC. If they could ever get it straightened around up there they could be very formidable. They have the athletes for sure. Hopefully STA can right the ship. Thats always been a good rivalry. They had a couple of studs on the JH team and if they stay they could be pretty good in the future.

It will be interesting to see who we get for weeks 2 & 5.

We have a pretty good relationship with CCC. If they could ever get it straightened around up there they could be very formidable. They have the athletes for sure. Hopefully STA can right the ship. Thats always been a good rivalry. They had a couple of studs on the JH team and if they stay they could be pretty good in the future.
Live in Stark Co, but not Catholic. Honestly don't know how CCC & STA stay as separate schools. They're 11 miles apart. CCC enrollment dwindling & STA on pace to completely disappear any minute now.

As for JFK's schedule opening, I keep having images of the Dalton-Ridgewood game that happened in week 4 because of Covid cancellations. If the Eagles AD pays attention (& is willing to travel) they could end up with some pretty sweet matchups!

Champion series is a 4 year contract.
Western Reserve better not move down to DVII because the dogs won't be called off again the next time.
Raylan-Givens(week 5 opening) that's a tough one to fill because teams are playing their conference opponents. Maybe a WV team.. Im thinking the likes of Linsly(Cadets would be a tough opponent)
Week 2 possibilities for JFK are definite steps up in competition which will be a huge challenge. Like the old MVAC of the early 90s.
Cleveland Central Catholic has athletes and size, lacks discipline and coaching. If they ever get the right HC and instills those principles then look out. Rotsky wanted that job before he took the VASJ gig. CCC didn't want to go down that road. John Crawford will get that ship righted there if he has the say so.

With 16 teams making the playoffs realistically a team could go 3-7 and make the playoffs now. So schedule up and get ready to compete at the state level