The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week number four, and the beginning of league action.

Fire Stone (0-3) at Salem (3-0)
Minerva (0-3) at Alliance (0-3)
Marlington (1-2) at West Branch (3-0)
Canton South (3-0) at Carrollton (2-1)

Predictions, and who do you got for the game of the week?

Week number four, and the beginning of league action.

Fire Stone (0-3) at Salem (3-0)
Minerva (0-3) at Alliance (0-3)
Marlington (1-2) at West Branch (3-0)
Canton South (3-0) at Carrollton (2-1)

Predictions, and who do you got for the game of the week?
Salem
Alliance
West Branch
Carrollton*

I have the Canton South VS Carrollton as the game of the week. I have heard really good things about the South team, and I have seen really good things from Carrollton. It will come down to whom makes less mistakes.

South vs Carrollton will be telling, Carrollton was projected to be a champion contender this year for what seems like forever but South has added a few key transfers and seems to be firing on all cylinders. If the Wildcats can come out with a win they might just be the team to beat in a year everyone thought they were a non-factor in. Even more interesting is the playoff implications already coming from this game, a loss for South could be brutal if Carrollton doesn't run the table with two other league teams in the same region

Alliance being the biggest school by a decent margin should be in it every year it’s sad if they arnt
I think Alliance had the hardest ooc schedule so they may have a lot to say in the league race. But I do agree, they should be the team everyone is chasing almost every year.

South vs Carrollton will be telling, Carrollton was projected to be a champion contender this year for what seems like forever but South has added a few key transfers and seems to be firing on all cylinders. If the Wildcats can come out with a win they might just be the team to beat in a year everyone thought they were a non-factor in. Even more interesting is the playoff implications already coming from this game, a loss for South could be brutal if Carrollton doesn't run the table with two other league teams in the same region
This should be a great game, Canton South in a close one and I think it will be high scoring.

I think west Branch will handle Marlington easily.

Alliance may score 70 on Minerva .

Salem should beat 0-3 Firerstone too, but they are D2 and played decent teams so far.

I’ll go off script
Fire stone , only because salem has really played zero competition thus far.
Carrolton
West Branch
Alliance.

I think Alliance had the hardest ooc schedule so they may have a lot to say in the league race. But I do agree, they should be the team everyone is chasing almost every year.
Alliance had a very strong OOC. They will be ready for league play and would not be surprised if they are in the title chase.

Alliance had a very strong OOC. They will be ready for league play and would not be surprised if they are in the title chase.
Agree Red. Alliance always have gifted athletes it’s simply a matter of them playing as a team , I hear that obstacle is being over come with the new coach.

Agree Red. Alliance always have gifted athletes it’s simply a matter of them playing as a team , I hear that obstacle is being over come with the new coach.
Alliance is young and talented. They should be able to gain some confidence this week against Minerva. Even if they don't win the league I think they will make it interesting and be a spoiler for someone. I think this is a very balanced league for the most part, but we will see in the upcoming weeks.

I stopped posting a long time ago and it will probably be my last post.

I agree with half of your statement about Minverva. Yes they will be outnumbered, undersized and out skiiled in every game and will probably not be in any games. There is not a coach alive that can win with this team especially with the remaining schedule.. So I do agree and I admire the kids that take the field on Friday nights and I get that the coaches have a tough job.

However, why are we still talking about this after 7 years? Should someone be held accountable or is it just acceptble to be a bad team year after year? Since 2014, it is likely we will be 3-67 at the end of this season and 3-77 after next year.. At what point does Minerva turn this program upside down and get something that resembles a program.? I have nothing against the coaches and I am not blaming them or the state that we are in, in fact I admire that the are coaching. Most teams have a down year or 2, especially smaller schools, be we are approaching a down decade.. You cannot tell me that Minerva had no talent for the last 7 years. I am not saying the coaches need fired because this is not a coaching thing, But somehow this spiraled out of control and somebody or a even a group of people needs to step up and be held accountable to get the program going in the right direction., it is my understanding that grades 7, 8 and 9 all have talent and have good numbers. it's time to put all a full court press and keep those kids in the program and bring back the days when you we proud to be a Lion football player!
I have been scratching my head for years MINFAN. How do we get more kids to play at the high school level? Minerva had some very good teams through 2014, In 2015 the wheels fell off and we can't get on the right track. The youth program is pretty good and always has good numbers but something happens in middle school and the numbers shrink. We had an "outsider" in Mike Hall and we went 0-10 in his 3rd year and left. We brought in a "Minerva guy" in Willison and he went 0-10 3 years in a row and was gone. We brought in another outsider in Hundley who may have had the most talented team since 2014 and went 3-27 with that group. This year is probably the least talented of all of the teams during the dry spell and it doesn't look like next year will much better. The focus this year really isn't to even win or be competitive. it is to keep our severely overmatched team safe. The easy part of the schedule is over so thing are going to be rough over the next 7 weeks.

I'm worried about tonight and what could be. Alliance could seriously hang 80 on us if they wanted to. It's so crushing to love this school and program so much and see how badly the wheels have come off. Our administration needs to be very careful because they are about to be the proud owners of one of the worst football programs in the state. Standing pat at the end of every year and using hope as a tactic, is no longer the way to go. We have got to get out of the business of making the easy "hire." And for heaven's sakes, can we just have an honest to goodness hiring process to where the best candidate gets the job instead of the candidate that has the closest and tightest relationship with the athletic director! Seems like here lately that's the only criteria needed to get the job. I agree with 88, wins and losses shouldn't even be on the radar of concern right now. The more pressing need is to understand why kids are quitting our program and more importantly why the heck we have so many kids transferring out of our school to play athletics somewhere else.

Alliance 56
Minerva 6
I was at this one and Alliance needs to clean some things up and could make some noise.

West Branch 61
Marlington 18
Wb is real deal

Salem 41
Firestone 0
Weak schedule so far but Salem is taking care of business

Carrollton 34
South 28
Would like the get some details on this one- looks like it was a great ga

I'm worried about tonight and what could be. Alliance could seriously hang 80 on us if they wanted to. It's so crushing to love this school and program so much and see how badly the wheels have come off. Our administration needs to be very careful because they are about to be the proud owners of one of the worst football programs in the state. Standing pat at the end of every year and using hope as a tactic, is no longer the way to go. We have got to get out of the business of making the easy "hire." And for heaven's sakes, can we just have an honest to goodness hiring process to where the best candidate gets the job instead of the candidate that has the closest and tightest relationship with the athletic director! Seems like here lately that's the only criteria needed to get the job. I agree with 88, wins and losses shouldn't even be on the radar of concern right now. The more pressing need is to understand why kids are quitting our program and more importantly why the heck we have so many kids transferring out of our school to play athletics somewhere else.
I was at the game and they probably could have had 70.. I just feel so bad for the kids that play. They are out there sacrificing, They are just so overwhelmed in every game. I don’t know what the answer is king. Looking at the sideline and roster it seems like we have at least another year of struggles. They must figure out a way to keep youth players coming back.

Alliance 56
Minerva 6
I was at this one and Alliance needs to clean some things up and could make some noise.

West Branch 61
Marlington 18
Wb is real deal

Salem 41
Firestone 0
Weak schedule so far but Salem is taking care of business

Carrollton 34
South 28
Would like the get some details on this one- looks like it was a great ga
Marlington is awful coach should be fired. He has no idea what to do on offense

It looks like this season is shaping up as predicted. Salem, WB and Carrollton in the top tier, with South as the spoiler. WB seems even stronger than predicted. Gotta give them the edge so far. I'm hoping we'll get a WB-Salem battle of unbeatens at the end of the year. But there's a long way to go yet, and high school football (and our friend Covid) is so unpredictable.

Looks like a good week for the league, it's going to be interesting the next few weeks for sure. Here are the combined records of each teams played schedule through week 4.

Alliance - (8-7)
Canton South - (4-12)
Carrollton - (6-9)
Marlington - (9-6)
Minerva - (8-7)
Salem - (5-11)
West Branch - (4-11)

Last edited:
Been watching Dukes Football for a while now and this year (so far) seems like an all-time low for the program. The lack of discipline has led to circus-like play on Friday nights. Hope they can turn it around soon because the last two weeks have been tough on the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.