Greater Cleveland Conference 2021

cardzfan1234

The GCC, still one of the top big school leagues in the state, is shrinking to a six team membership in 2021 with the deflections of Elyria (at the end of 20-21) that followed Shaker (at the end of 19-20). The six teams that remain in the league are arguably the best of the league since its formation in 2015. Elyria had a nice season in 2015 (the first year of the GCC), but failed to beat any of the remaining six members over the following five seasons before their deflection to the SWC.

Mentor and Medina should be the class of the conference. The two met in the regional final last season as Mentor dominated the Bees (49-14) following Medina's impressive back-to-back wins over St Eds and St Ignatius. Medina boasts the most highly regarded/recruited QB in the Cleveland area since Mentor's Mitch Trubisky. Medina's Drew Allar is a frontrunner for league MVP and is one of the top QB's in the country. Allar is joined by a strong class that includes a handful of guys that are going to be three-year starters. Mentor's two most important players are juniors. QB Jacob Snow (highly touted after his impressive state semifinal performance) and DE Brennon Vernon, a recent Notre Dame commit. Vernon is one of the most highly recruited players in the country.

Euclid and Solon are both replacing veteran coaches. Both coaches had various levels of success. McQuaide guided Solon to 15 playoff appearances in his 18 seasons. Rotsky has the most playoff wins of any coach in program history. Euclid has more talent than Solon remaining in the pipeline, but don't expect the Comets to be too down.

Brunswick had a very strong 2020 season led by a strong senior class. With two playoff wins (including an upset of Canton McKinley) and a regular season win over regional finalist Medina, the Blue Devils had arguably their most successful season in over a decade. Strongsville is led by Clemson-commit Blake Miller, a big and talented tackle that is one of the best at his position in the country. Unlike most teams in the league, Strongsville does bring back their starting QB from 2020 in Maddux Beard.

Non-conference schedules are as followed:

Mentor: Canton McKinley, St Ignatius, St Edward, North Alleghney (PA), Football North (Canada)
Medina: WGH, Avon, Stow, Wadsworth, Lorain
Euclid: Aurora, Hudson, Cleveland Heights, St Ignatius, Massillon
Brunswick: Avon, Olmsted Falls, Highland, Waite, Hudson
Solon: Hudson, Shaker, Stow, Cathedral Prep (PA), Twinsburg
Strongsville: Avon Lake, Midview, Brecksville, Cleveland Heights, Dover

The out of conference schedule for the entire conference is very impressive.
Should be an interesting season. This is the chance for Medina to finally beat Mentor.
To be the man you gotta beat the man.
We'll see.

Better:
1. Medina: But can they beat Mentor and Ed's (again)
2. Strongsville: Should be solid but not a region contender.

Unknown:
The rest of the league.

Mentor is Mentor so will be in the mix

Brunswick, Solon and Euclid. No clue.

Brunswick loses a lot but has had success at the lower levels. Probably along the Strongsville tier.

Solon and Euclid are huge unknowns. Both have new coaches. Solon also had an even weirder than most Covid year than about anybody in the state who ended up playing. Euclid not only lost Rotskty but 5-6 D1 players.

But it should be Medina-Mentor for the league title and could be the R1 matchup again.

I know Medina brings back Allar and a handful of key guys that have been varsity players since they were sophomores. But will the 2021 team be better than 2020? I’m not suggesting they will be less talented (as I think Mentor, Euclid, and Solon will be), but they did graduate some pretty central guys to their playoff success. Hensley, Spatny, and some key linemen.

Is Medina going to be better than the team that knocked off Eds/Ignatius in back to back weeks? Maybe not. Will they be better than the team that mostly underachieved in the regular season and got overwhelmed in the regional final? Yes, I can get behind that thought.

If Medina remains about what they were last year while the rest of the league takes a step or two back, that could be all they need to do to win the league.

How many teams have beaten Mentor at football since this league was formed? Is Solon the only one?

After some quick Joe Eitel research, Mentor is 38-5 (including playoffs) against the GCC since it formed in 2015. Losses were to Solon (15, 16, 18), Euclid (16), and Elyria (15). Strongsville beat Mentor twice in 2008 - but has a 2-15 record against Mentor since they started playing every year since 2006. Brunswick has lost all 13 (including three in the playoffs) since 2007. Medina has lost all eight games they have played against Mentor since 2011.

The most impressive part of Solon’s GCC run has been their 3-2 league record over Mentor since 2015 (the two didn’t play in 2020). The rest of the league has combined to go 2-36.

I know Medina brings back Allar and a handful of key guys that have been varsity players since they were sophomores. But will the 2021 team be better than 2020? I’m not suggesting they will be less talented (as I think Mentor, Euclid, and Solon will be), but they did graduate some pretty central guys to their playoff success. Hensley, Spatny, and some key linemen.

Is Medina going to be better than the team that knocked off Eds/Ignatius in back to back weeks? Maybe not. Will they be better than the team that mostly underachieved in the regular season and got overwhelmed in the regional final? Yes, I can get behind that thought.

If Medina remains about what they were last year while the rest of the league takes a step or two back, that could be all they need to do to win the league.
The defense returns just about everybody so I think that unit will be much improved and should be a strength this year and not one that can do just a do enough to let the offense outscore teams. They have good size in front 7 and a very athletic secondary. They have four guys on that side that have FCS/D2 offers (all four of those guys could pick up FBS down the line) and there are a couple others I think should at least get D2 offers.

If they are improved on that side, they could be on the short list of teams that have a legit shot at the state title.

The offense does lose most of the line and its the biggest question, IMO. Hensley was a monster and well deserving of his first team All-Ohio selection at WR, but they have a bunch of guys who should step up, including his younger brother who is in the same size/speed mold. They have a junior who I think is gonna have a breakout year (probably had 20 or so catches last year as a sophomore).

Medina turned the season around while Allar was getting back from the injury he suffered in the opener against Mentor by pounding defenses with RB Dorian Boyland. Running the ball was something they did not do at all the last couple of years where it was 90 percent 5 wide and throwing. Even though Allar is star who can go out and throw for 300 to 400 a game (and run a little bit too), they have to be somewhat balanced so replacing Boyland will be key. They have some options though.

I know the 2-3 start last year made it appear that they underachieved. But they were actually pretty consistent until the regional final blowout loss to Mentor. They were right there with Mentor in the opener (19-21) at half when Allar went out for the game and it unraveled. Allar played the next week against Brunswick but was basically on one leg and still threw for 400-500 but also had 4-5 picks. Medina outgained Brunswick by about 400 yards but kept shooting themselves in the foot and Brunswick capitalized on every one of their opportunities. The loss to Euclid was a great game and Medina just missed a tying FG at the end of regulation. So, the playoff run didn't exactly surprise me.

But anybody who has followed the program knows that this is the year people have been pointing to and realize Medina will likely never have a team this talented for a long time, if ever. Of course, a lot of that is due to Drew Allar, who is realistically a generational talent, who has all the makings of potentially being a first-round NFL draft pick in four years (ala Trubisky). But the reason why people look at this group is also due to the talent around him. His senior class is by far the most talented the school has ever had and it's backed up by a junior class that had been almost as dominant at the MS/freshman/JV level.

My list of the pre-season GCC team. Of course there are potentially good arguments for some other guys, but this is the best I could come up with.

Medina: 6 players
Mentor: 5
Solon: 4
Brunswick: 3
Strongsville: 2
Euclid: 2

My list of the pre-season GCC team. Of course there are potentially good arguments for some other guys, but this is the best I could come up with.

Medina: 6 players
Mentor: 5
Solon: 4
Brunswick: 3
Strongsville: 2
Euclid: 2
I'd run that out against any all league team in Ohio and like the chances. My first thought was no way Medina's Keon Johnson doesn't crack the list, but over who? Maybe Bryce West just due to experience, but West looks like a stud.

I'd run that out against any all league team in Ohio and like the chances. My first thought was no way Medina's Keon Johnson doesn't crack the list, but over who? Maybe Bryce West just due to experience, but West looks like a stud.

West transferred to Glenville.

Bryce West.png

Wow, Solon to Glenville. Talk about a vast difference in academics. Although it seems like West grew up going to Glenville neighborhood schools before starting at Solon as a freshman. Thanks for the tip Worm. I should update it.

Updates on the second/final scrimmages for GCC teams? Brunswick/Wadsworth play today. Same with Euclid and Massillon Perry.

Sounds like Medina/Berea played to a 21-21 tie before the reserves came in.

Mentor is hosting DIII state champions Chardon tomorrow. Solon scrimmages WGH tomorrow morning.

I agree it’s going to be a long season for Solon. They are closer to being Twinsburg or Shaker than they are the old Region 1 power they once were. I think Solon will get one win in the league, Strongsville. Maybe a couple non-conference (over Shaker/Twinsburg). Erie Prep and Brunswick are toss-up games. I would put the over/under at 4 wins. They are underdogs against Mentor, Medina, Hudson, Stow, and Euclid.

As for Medina/WGH in Week 1…we know the expectations for the Bees are through the roof. Worm has been hyping the Raiders’ chances for weeks. It will be an interesting one I keep my eye on. Medina’s offense is going to be tough to keep under 40.

I agree it’s going to be a long season for Solon. They are closer to being Twinsburg or Shaker than they are the old Region 1 power they once were. I think Solon will get one win in the league, Strongsville. Maybe a couple non-conference (over Shaker/Twinsburg). Erie Prep and Brunswick are toss-up games. I would put the over/under at 4 wins. They are underdogs against Mentor, Medina, Hudson, Stow, and Euclid.

As for Medina/WGH in Week 1…we know the expectations for the Bees are through the roof. Worm has been hyping the Raiders’ chances for weeks. It will be an interesting one I keep my eye on. Medina’s offense is going to be tough to keep under 40.
?

Wrapping up my opponent previews for Mentor's season, here are the GCC ones

Brunswick: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2021/07/opponent-preview-brunswick-week-6.html
Medina: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2021/08/opponent-preview-medina-week-7.html
Solon: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2021/08/opponent-preview-solon-week-8.html
Strongsville: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2021/08/opponent-preview-strongsville-week-9.html
Euclid: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2021/08/opponent-preview-euclid-week-10.html

After doing a bit of a deep dive into these five (plus my knowledge of Mentor), I would argue that every single program is taking one or two steps back from 2020. The exception is Medina, who is possibly taking one step forward. Be that as it may, Mentor was considerably better than Medina the last time they played. After Medina and Mentor, the league looks it will drop off significantly. Euclid and Solon are bringing in new coaches after a good stretch with the previous one. Brunswick graduated a good/deep class that had a very solid 2020. Strongsville will be about the same as they were last year. No gimme wins in the league against Elyria and Shaker though. They beat Euclid last year though, so winning a couple in the league is not out of the question.

When was the last time Medina won their football conference? Ever? I think this is going to be it. The league is down, Region 1 is down. The strength of the state in DI is in the Southern half (St X, Springfield, Lakota West, PC, etc.). If Medina was ever going to win a conference and a region - this is the ideal scenario.

My predictions:

Medina: 10-0 (5-0 GCC)
Mentor: 8-2 (4-1 GCC)...losses to St Eds and Medina
Brunswick: 6-4 (3-2 GCC)...losses to Avon, Hudson, Mentor, Medina
Euclid: 5-5 (2-3 GCC)...losses to St Ignatius, Massillon, Hudson, Mentor, Medina
Solon: 3-7 (1-4 GCC)...losses to Hudson, Stow, Mentor, Medina, Brunswick, Solon, Erie Prep
Strongsville: 3-7 (0-5 GCC)...losses to Avon Lake, Cleveland Heights, all the GCC

It will be a down year for the league, probably the weakest the GCC will be in its seven years. Mentor/Medina is the biggie. I lean slightly toward Medina in the regular season but think that Mentor could very well win a playoff rematch. Predicting an undefeated Medina season is probably a slight reach. But when I look at each game, I can't help but think they are going to be favored each and every week. I think they are slight favorites in two games (Avon, Mentor), moderate favorites in a few (Brunswick, WGH, Stow), and clear favorites in the other five.

I see no ones given a Brunswick update so I’ll chip in. They dominated a really young wadsworth team in their scrimmage, skill positions look really solid especially in the secondary, but both sides of the line have some question marks this year. Losses to Mentor and Medina are likely but I figure they’ll win one of their two toss up games against Avon and Hudson. Therefore 7-3 is my guess for the year. Very intrigued to see what Medina will do this year; a final four appearance isn’t out of the question for them.

My official game preview for Warren G. Harding’s week 1 football game vs. Medina is now available for view at the following link…

Looking like this will be a lot like 2017 where it was two teams far ahead of the rest (Mentor and Euclid then; Mentor and Medina now).

Mentor and Medina salvaged what was a brutal night overall, but not one that was totally unexpected. Still, figured the rest of the GCC would be more competitive.

Yes, an expected rough night. Even worse than I expected as Euclid got drilled by Aurora. Mentor and Medina are both really good. They are going to run through this conference.
After tonight, yeah seems like a given. Strongsville, which I expected to be better, may be the No. 3 team.

But better was relative... they are not a contender in R1. But ill give my alma mater props for what appears to be at least a competitive loss to a very good Avon Lake team. That's where we are at.

Definitely a two team race. I knew Brunswick had a tall task replacing both their offensive line and front seven from last year, but I was genuinely not expecting it to look how it did last night. Worst part is Avon is probably the third best team they’ll play this year.. so some of these upcoming games could get ugly. After seeing how we were up front last night I just don’t see a scenario in which this team wins more than 6 games. That said I remain confident that in 2-3 years Brunswick will have a real shot at the GCC with some of these younger classes coming up. Until then I will watch and hope that whatever happened last night doesn’t repeat itself!

One thing I noticed that surprised me from the Medina/WGH game (thanks to @Worm02 box score post) was that Drew Allar was the leading rusher for the game. His passing stats weren't too efficient for a person of his caliber, but he ran the ball (12 carries for 81 yards) very well. Last season, I never got the impression that Allar was much of a runner. If he becomes a dual threat, that really opens up the difficulty in defending the offense. That is quite a risk for a QB that is not known for his running to make him a runner. In this offense he shouldn't need to run too much and he dealt with an injury a season ago. This is a risk that may or may not pay off. Another curious thing in the box score was that Drew Hensley didn't have a single reception. Did he play? Did he have any targets? Did WGH just shut him down?

Overall, when you look at the box score everything looks pretty similar except for the two interceptions by Harding. Those seem to be the difference. Total yardage, first downs, penalties, etc. are all pretty close.

As for the rest of the league, things will be interesting. Euclid is going to be an underdog in all of their remaining non-conference games (St Ignatius, Massillon, Hudson, and Cleveland Heights). Obviously they are big underdogs against Mentor and Medina. At this point, I think they are more likely to finish closer to 1 win than the original 5 wins that I predicted before the season. They got steamrolled by Aurora, nowhere near the best team on Euclid's schedule.

Brunswick, Solon, and Strongsville also have their hands full with some non-conference games.

One thing I noticed that surprised me from the Medina/WGH game (thanks to @Worm02 box score post) was that Drew Allar was the leading rusher for the game. His passing stats weren't too efficient for a person of his caliber, but he ran the ball (12 carries for 81 yards) very well. Last season, I never got the impression that Allar was much of a runner. If he becomes a dual threat, that really opens up the difficulty in defending the offense. That is quite a risk for a QB that is not known for his running to make him a runner. In this offense he shouldn't need to run too much and he dealt with an injury a season ago. This is a risk that may or may not pay off. Another curious thing in the box score was that Drew Hensley didn't have a single reception. Did he play? Did he have any targets? Did WGH just shut him down?

Overall, when you look at the box score everything looks pretty similar except for the two interceptions by Harding. Those seem to be the difference. Total yardage, first downs, penalties, etc. are all pretty close.

As for the rest of the league, things will be interesting. Euclid is going to be an underdog in all of their remaining non-conference games (St Ignatius, Massillon, Hudson, and Cleveland Heights). Obviously they are big underdogs against Mentor and Medina. At this point, I think they are more likely to finish closer to 1 win than the original 5 wins that I predicted before the season. They got steamrolled by Aurora, nowhere near the best team on Euclid's schedule.

Brunswick, Solon, and Strongsville also have their hands full with some non-conference games.
Why do you always down play small schools? Aurora could make the final 4.Medina mentor should easily beat Euclid by 50 if aurora won by 42.

Last edited: