20-21 Federal League Basketball

As the regular season finished

Jackson: Won 4 straight games, including a victory over a very good St. Ignatius team. Finish 19-3

McKinley: Lost 3 of 5, including a loss to 4th place Hoover, and one of the wins coming by 5 points over last place Glen Oak. Finish 16-6.

A poll from a few weeks ago that had Jackson at #3 in the state with McKinley outside the top ten has been criticized repeatedly on this thread. But I'm starting to think it was correct. I know McKinley beat Jackson head-to-head, but if you were to ask me who had a more impressive regular season and who is playing better basketball right now, I'd have to go with the Polar Bears.

As the regular season finished

Jackson: Won 4 straight games, including a victory over a very good St. Ignatius team. Finish 19-3

McKinley: Lost 3 of 5, including a loss to 4th place Hoover, and one of the wins coming by 5 points over last place Glen Oak. Finish 16-6.

A poll from a few weeks ago that had Jackson at #3 in the state with McKinley outside the top ten has been criticized repeatedly on this thread. But I'm starting to think it was correct. I know McKinley beat Jackson head-to-head, but if you were to ask me who had a more impressive regular season and who is playing better basketball right now, I'd have to go with the Polar Bears.

First Jackson is a very good basketball team, but you can't compare the final parts of the schedule when two of the three losses were against both defending state champs and are both arguably the favorites to win D1 and D2 again. The more impressive regular season yes Jackson 100% because they were not supposed to be as good as they were this year. The Hoover loss was a bad loss no excuses there but they competed in both the other losses in teams that were arguably more talented than them. Hopefully they both get to District title games this year and can represent the area well like Green and McKinley have the past two years. Jackson is not built to beat McKinley they are built this year to beat alot of other teams but just like in years past where Jackson just had McKinley's number that is this year for Jackson they just don't have the right team makeup to beat them but they are better than alot of other teams in NE Ohio

First Jackson is a very good basketball team, but you can't compare the final parts of the schedule when two of the three losses were against both defending state champs and are both arguably the favorites to win D1 and D2 again. The more impressive regular season yes Jackson 100% because they were not supposed to be as good as they were this year. The Hoover loss was a bad loss no excuses there but they competed in both the other losses in teams that were arguably more talented than them. Hopefully they both get to District title games this year and can represent the area well like Green and McKinley have the past two years. Jackson is not built to beat McKinley they are built this year to beat alot of other teams but just like in years past where Jackson just had McKinley's number that is this year for Jackson they just don't have the right team makeup to beat them but they are better than alot of other teams in NE Ohio
That's fair

Very fair assessment

I don't like the way this thread is going lol. I come on here for crazy biased opinions from people not honest and fair points lol

As a long time high school Assistant I have seen a lot and feel my opinion has been always fair and honest about teams I have supported never while I coached there. I can say what people don't give the Federal league enough credit for as a whole and this is truly a problem, while the talent goes in waves the coaches in that conference do their homework and know tendencies and personnel so well that the game planning and prep is almost unfair. Year to Year McKinley has arguably the best athletes in the conference yet so many games are close. That is directly due to the great coaching and scouting in that conference. It is a chess match every game.

To piggyback on that point that is why I like the chances of this Pup team as they get further along in the state playoffs. They have taken lumps and played so many different styles in the past 3 years. They have been battle tested for grind it out games by playing in the Fed because when you get to the Regionals, every possession matters and say what you want about the Fed against other areas they prepare each other for the long haul. Jackson and McKinley specifically this year will do very well

I don't like the way this thread is going lol. I come on here for crazy biased opinions from people not honest and fair points lol

As a long time high school Assistant I have seen a lot and feel my opinion has been always fair and honest about teams I have supported never while I coached there. I can say what people don't give the Federal league enough credit for as a whole and this is truly a problem, while the talent goes in waves the coaches in that conference do their homework and know tendencies and personnel so well that the game planning and prep is almost unfair. Year to Year McKinley has arguably the best athletes in the conference yet so many games are close. That is directly due to the great coaching and scouting in that conference. It is a chess match every game.

To piggyback on that point that is why I like the chances of this Pup team as they get further along in the state playoffs. They have taken lumps and played so many different styles in the past 3 years. They have been battle tested for grind it out games by playing in the Fed because when you get to the Regionals, every possession matters and say what you want about the Fed against other areas they prepare each other for the long haul. Jackson and McKinley specifically this year will do very well
Not to mention their schedule's are much tougher than say ? ? ? another local team.

If you were interested in a fair assessment, you might have noted that McK lost to the #3 team in D1 and the #1 team in D2 (on their home court). But you didn't.

What's done is done. Hopefully all the Fed teams represent with good tourney performances.
I'm not trying to be unfair to McKinley. I think they have a great team. My post was intended to make two points: 1. that Jackson has had a more impressive regular season overall and 2. that Jackson has been playing better basketball than McKinley the last two weeks.

Both points are debatable. If you have a different opinion than me, that's all right.

FINAL LEAGUE STANDINGS

1st McKinley Bulldogs (11-1)
2nd Jackson Polar Bears (9-3)
3rd Green Bulldogs (7-5)
4th Hoover Vikings (6-6)
5th Lake Blue Streaks (4-8)
6th Perry Panthers (3-9)
7th GlenOak Golden Eagles (2-10)

2021 LEAGUE CHAMPS- McKinley

I really thought GlenOak would be better this year. And perry as well. I think perry's problem was quarantine
Perry had two long stretches with no games. After not playing for two weeks, the Panthers lost their last 3 by a combined 7 points. A few possessions go differently, and they finish .500 in the league. I feel bad for Perry, so many tough breaks this season. Istill would not be surprised if Perry makes a run in the tournament, as Toles can put up 30 on any given night.

McKinley has the pedigree, but a couple games into the tournament, they better be at their best. Good luck ?

Sponsored by our friends at Sarchione Ford Of Randolph

It was senior night at McKinley & Brent Walker, Kobe Johnson & company put on a show!

Watch Wooster vs. McKinley

?Dave Scheetz & Ryan Beltz with the call

Sarchione Ford POTG: Kobe Johnson

Watch Full Game Here?

Plus Green twice which is a wash with Hoover and Wooster?? Don't see a schedule discrepency?

My opinion is that Moeller and St V are better than any team Jackson played. That's the obvious discrepancy.

Iggy lost to SVSM by 10. Hope that helps in your equation.

Last edited:
Who do you equate to Moeller and St V during those two weeks? Where's the wash there?
Lol, McK and Iggy. McK #10 D1 and Iggy #8 D1 I mean if you want to knock McK that's your call...Clearly McK should have been able to win one of those if they have title aspirations.

McK lost to Hoover by 2 if that helps the equation.

Last edited:
Wednesday 02/24/21

Sectional Semi-Finals
Lake at Hoover
Kenmore-Garfield at McKinley
Ellet at Jackson
Alliance at Perry

Lake-Hoover Part 3 should be fun. Hoover won the first by 2, and Lake won the second by 3 in double overtime. The two teams are very evenly matched.