D1 region 3

Not real sure. The Oline could actually be better than last year. RBs are strong so the run game should be solid. They have a ton of athletic receivers to use as decoys and a 1st year starting QB that can hand the ball off with the best of them.
The front 7 on Defense is going to be really good. Styles may move down to Strong Safety or Outside LB and play a little receiver.
It should be business as usual except the QB will not be running as much as they have over the past 7 years.

Not real sure. The Oline could actually be better than last year. RBs are strong so the run game should be solid. They have a ton of athletic receivers to use as decoys and a 1st year starting QB that can hand the ball off with the best of them.
The front 7 on Defense is going to be really good. Styles may move down to Strong Safety or Outside LB and play a little receiver.
It should be business as usual except the QB will not be running as much as they have over the past 7 years.
That's not real sure? K. So who else would be a favorite?

We might be the favorite by default but I have some concerns. Aside from the new QB1, L. Styles bailed us out of a few jams. The forward pass may need to be used this year. We should find out early as we have a couple of tough games.

We might be the favorite by default but I have some concerns. Aside from the new QB1, L. Styles bailed us out of a few jams. The forward pass may need to be used this year. We should find out early as we have a couple of tough games.

Yeah I think the shortened season and not playing your usual tougher non league slate hurt in the end a bit. No team is perfect, always a concern or two , but I don't see anyone better or really close, as in go either way type of deal in R-3 . Not a cakewalk may be but a clear fav.

Who do you see as being some other top teams in Region 3?

A bit early to do a deeper dive concerning what the other teams have coming back { You guys have more than most in terms of quality } but the usual handful that is clearly a step and half below PC at this point. North always has a few top end kids and were decent in a few games last year but ended pretty badly. Davidson got blown out a few times in conference for the first time in 20 years and had their worst team in that time period and North had some trouble for three quarters somehow. They then got beaten up a bit by New Albany? You would know better what North has back { they have a good RB , a few on defense who can play ,QB?} Westy Central loses a decent amount and their QB and you guys handled them pretty well as it was .

Burg could be interesting ? A few years ago teams could line up and play with you for a bit no question, but there seems to be a separation recently . The ST X game is still a bit fresh in the memory bank . Just one of those snowballs that rolled downhill at record speed and kind of skews the perception . PC has played with those teams before, ST X has transitioned to a pass first and often team . Evolving. They have the material to do it and it executed that type of attack beats even good defenses a nice percentage of the time .

Gahanna ? Some athletes but not enough of them when playing you guys , not strong enough up front. Groveport got there win in 2019 , it's been not close since that game. Always have some material but trending a bit downward. Orange is a solid program that you guys obliterated two years ago , but they lose their QB as well and some other good players but will be solid going forward as Olentangy schools pretty much all are as programs. Bradley may be interesting as well , they have a good amou9nt back but lose their QB .You guys crushed them this year and will beat them again . Upper Arlington was better than their record and they have a few guys back and they have played with you guys but that was 5-6 years ago ? I do like their coach and they have Two QB's back with experience and a really good RB{ Gresock }

I would say just enjoy the ride , and those first few nonleague games that no CO teams got this past year will give you good competition and make you better { Massillon is definite but I think they lose a nice bunch of players as well } . You've kind of separated from the pack a bit and I do think you'll get ST X again and may not win , BUT it will be a much better game .

Central than the rest

West central and NA lost a ton from very big sr classes

I’d say look out for Reynoldsburg- they have a sr qbs and a decent core returning.

PNs season ended horribly but the bulk of the team was sophs. They return 15-16 starters I believe

orange is always strong and the Hilliards don’t stay down for long

Last year. JoeEitel locked it after week 5 for voting for the playoffs. Doesn't show Westland & Newark who opted out.
12 teams make the playoffs...
Playoff teams for sure:
1. PC - will roll through the region again.
Pick North - it is Pickerington
West Central - Morrison has things rolling.
UA - Program looks to be ready to make a jump. Lot of momentum
Reynoldsburg - Return a D1 QB
Darby - Return QB
Gahanna - Loaded with talent (as usual), will they actually win - probably not???
Orange - Always solid
NA - always find a way to have a winning season
Interesting teams
Lancaster, Davidson, CC, GC (Think one of these teams has a breakout year
Not in the mix
WN, Westland, Newark
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.50.21 AM.png

Reynoldsburg is going to surprise a lot of people they were one of the youngest teams in Central Ohio. Abs they return their QB and all of their weapons

Reynoldsburg is going to surprise a lot of people they were one of the youngest teams in Central Ohio. Abs they return their QB and all of their weapons
Yes I said they could be or would be interesting . Possibly the team with a very experienced QB with the type of athletes to give PC a game . Up front ? Defensively ? Can they match the physicality ? That’s the question with them where PC is concerned . Second best R-3 team ? Could be

Thanks for the post BGF

If you go back 20 years this list would still have PC 1 but Davidson would be at number 2 . Liberty isn't 20 years old quite yet and would be futher down the list in a longer time period and Coffman is entrenched at number three in the last 20 .. Bradley becoming the best program in Hilliard was foreseen by some going back to the old Huddle days when there was a lot more CO discussion , and I believe that trend continues . Darby like Davidson has slipped a bit, Darby had a really nice run of consistency even if they weren't winning much in the play-offs .

Davidson went with a players coach as has been said in these spaces and the initial results obviously weren't great, BUT it must be noted that White didn't exactly get out at a time the team was supposed to be real strong .He kind of new it was a transition and the timing was right for him. He hated that one of his 'Guys" went across the river to UA and not only that BEAT him in that year . That was an odd hire I must say for UA . Not sure what Tony was thinking actually . I know he's an older school football guy and Scally did a good job their in his very brief stay, BUT he had to know that Brian was nearing the end ? And that Scally might go for that job? The fit scheme wise wasn't strong either. You need about 3-4 years minimum to get that style embedded in your culture .

Coaches have to be themselves , Scally was right to not try to be like White as kids and players at all levels can see through a phony . He set the tone right away after that first game and win when TWN recorded his postgame and he said that unlike the recent past , they were going to enjoy the win and not dwell on the screw=ups and mistakes right away. Fine line territory. Many coaches rip the players MORE after a win if it is sloppy than a loss sometimes . Programs lose momentum . Davidson has lost it a bit and White I think believed that it wasn't coming back anytime soon . It was time . Coach Crabtree is leaving at a different point. Yes the last few years has seen some a bit of underachievement in the play-offs, as he had some of his better teams in his last few years . Some of the problem was not having some of the top players out there at key times and some 'Blame of course can be go to the coaches and players who were out there .

Davidson seemed to falloff of a cliff defensively this past season. , Not as aggressive, not the same material , poor tackling , it all came 'Together " to produce a pretty porous defense. Over the White era, HD was as prepared as any team in terms of knowing what the opponent was trying to do and wanted to do . Field position , kicking game ,possess the ball for long stretches = the defense being consistently being in good positions to succeed and they weren't going to wear down. HD is in transition. Run the basic offense but not quite. O-Lineman haven't been as good the last few years. Running back they have are good enough { Weir and Nixon } QB's haven't been great consistent running threats lately .

Liberty has had ONE head coach , the rise of the program's stature has been a combination of greater numbers and really good staff around the successful HC. BIGGER offensive lines tackle to tackle who are well coached and have some ability. it isn't a ground and pound philosophy though . It is more being able to run to open up the pass adn vice versa depending on the opponent . They give their QB's time to throw , and while they have had some talented kids catching the ball it's more about the kids being able to get open within the scheme and they are obviously well coached in knowing how to get open . This is something Coffman needs to do better with. When Ullery was coaching the stables of receivers they had talent BUT it was more the little nuances and tricks to getting open that was evident .

Orange has been a pretty consistent program as the Olentangy district has exploded. to be sure as has Pick North where there is an abundance of talent over there even with PC getting more of it . Took White a couple years to get Burg rolling a bit and losing a few key players to PC has ceased and was a thing a few years back . NA with Kidwell is another consistent product. Tweener d-2 - d-1 program . Darby was mentioned and would be higher a few years back but have lost a bit more lately. Jerome right there with these programs and Geciwich did a good job there , the last two years being disappointing a sliding them back a notch. Westy Central I think of as better than a few games over 500 last 5 but did kind of lost some games they may be shouldn't have but their league is strong with the Olentangy's having a nice upper-hand on the Westerville schools .

UA right there with them but is ascending and as the coaching staff gets more familiar and comfortable, they will keep it going IMO . Olentangy with a great HC in Solis has slid down a bit with rough schedules and losing a lot of numbers with the opening of Berlin. D-2 program that just doesn't have the numbers to win more against the teams they have had on their schedule .

M-Ville and GPM are 5-6 win programs at this point? M-Ville with a better conference situation is rising a bit , but can it be sustained ? GPM had a couple really down years and an really up year, and cutting the difference makes them about a 5-6 win program , a little better some years and a little worse in others.

On certain defensive fronts, PC can have 6-7 kids with D1 offers on the D-Line and at LB. Will the in coming freshman qb get some varsity reps?

Gahanna's record with the enrollment they have is a joke
Football hasn’t been a huge sport there . They have been good and they have talent most years but just haven’t taken it to the next level . Track program is top shelf . That dynamic is usually a positive for football programs . Not so here to the extent they would want anyway. .

Football hasn’t been a huge sport there . They have been good and they have talent most years but just haven’t taken it to the next level . Track program is top shelf . That dynamic is usually a positive for football programs . Not so here to the extent they would want anyway. .
I have lived in Gahanna over 20 years. They were a powerhouse in the 70's and 80's and are the only one their size that did not split or build other schools (Sports driven), and cause me to pay for additions when a new school should have been built 20+ years ago. They should be good in football EVERY year and rarely are.

I have lived in Gahanna over 20 years. They were a powerhouse in the 70's and 80's and are the only one their size that did not split or build other schools (Sports driven), and cause me to pay for additions when a new school should have been built 20+ years ago. They should be good in football EVERY year and rarely are.
70s and 80’s pre date my time here . They have had some good clubs in the last 15-20 years but as you say not as consistent and hasn’t really gotten to that next level . Good athletics program overall .

Bradley becoming the best program in Hilliard was foreseen by some going back to the old Huddle days when there was a lot more CO discussion , and I believe that trend continues . Darby like Davidson has slipped a bit, Darby had a really nice run of consistency even if they weren't winning much in the play-offs .

I'm going to agree/disagree with you on this one. Agree that Darby has slipped a bit from 16-20, compared to the previous 5 years. Bradley actually has had back-to-back losing seasons (including a loss to Darby in '19, didn't play each other last year) after a really good run from 16-18, but came on strong towards the end of the year. Agree that the future should be bright for them, but I don't think Darby (or even Davidson) is ready to concede things to them just yet as far as Hilliard is concerned. I think it is going to be a bit more contested than Bradley just running things. I know the lower levels (9th and MS) don't necessarily translate upwards, but FWIW, the Darby pipeline had a good year last fall.

On certain defensive fronts, PC can have 6-7 kids with D1 offers on the D-Line and at LB. Will the in coming freshman qb get some varsity reps?
Not sure there are any QBs coming up from the 2024 or 2025 class that will get any varsity reps unless there is a transfer that I am not aware of. The 2023 QB is really good but he has been behind back to back senior QBs. As you stated, the front 7 is going to be really good.

I'm going to agree/disagree with you on this one. Agree that Darby has slipped a bit from 16-20, compared to the previous 5 years. Bradley actually has had back-to-back losing seasons (including a loss to Darby in '19, didn't play each other last year) after a really good run from 16-18, but came on strong towards the end of the year. Agree that the future should be bright for them, but I don't think Darby (or even Davidson) is ready to concede things to them just yet as far as Hilliard is concerned. I think it is going to be a bit more contested than Bradley just running things. I know the lower levels (9th and MS) don't necessarily translate upwards, but FWIW, the Darby pipeline had a good year last fall.

Didn’t mean to suggest this will have no end . Just meant it was forseen that Bradley “. Could be the better team or the best of the three in the very near future(. Going back a while ). Bradley has been bit by the injury bug the last couple years . Bradley had a losing season and I know the Bradley Davidson game was competitive but I saw both clubs up close . It wasn’t close from what I saw . Bradley was clearly better . I do think going forward Bradley more than not or most years will be better than Davidson no question ., Darby ? That’s your territory but I think it seems to trending towards Bradley . Not that the other two should concede anything certainly .Don’t think and mean to suggest that Bradley will run things like say Davidson did for a while .

70s and 80’s pre date my time here . They have had some good clubs in the last 15-20 years but as you say not as consistent and hasn’t really gotten to that next level . Good athletics program overall .
Gahanna had some really good teams until Lanza retired. They upset Coffman in Brady Quinn’s last game, first year in the playoffs. Coffman was absolutely loaded and Gahanna was a 7-3 team.

Gahanna has been a mystery since Lanza retired.

Gahanna had some really good teams until Lanza retired. They upset Coffman in Brady Quinn’s last game, first year in the playoffs. Coffman was absolutely loaded and Gahanna was a 7-3 team.

Gahanna has been a mystery since Lanza retired.
Was that the bad weather game where I believe Quinn had a bad ankle ? I could be thinking of another game but I seem to remember that night wasn’t good weather wise for Coffman’s style . (. Didn’t go that game) I do remember Gahanna gave Rocks a good go in 2007 round one at Coffman (. TD win for Coffman ) Rocks were loaded that year . Had a couple guys sit including Fairchild if I recall (. Went to that game )

Was that the bad weather game where I believe Quinn had a bad ankle ? I could be thinking of another game but I seem to remember that night wasn’t good weather wise for Coffman’s style . (. Didn’t go that game) I do remember Gahanna gave Rocks a good go in 2007 round one at Coffman (. TD win for Coffman ) Rocks were loaded that year . Had a couple guys sit including Fairchild if I recall (. Went to that game )

Weather was great. I have no idea about Quinns health. It was a first round game. Gahanna's game plan was to shorten the game and run the ball all night. Defensively, Coffman could never get off the field. Lanza was a really good coach.

Didn’t mean to suggest this will have no end . Just meant it was forseen that Bradley “. Could be the better team or the best of the three in the very near future(. Going back a while ). Bradley has been bit by the injury bug the last couple years . Bradley had a losing season and I know the Bradley Davidson game was competitive but I saw both clubs up close . It wasn’t close from what I saw . Bradley was clearly better . I do think going forward Bradley more than not or most years will be better than Davidson no question ., Darby ? That’s your territory but I think it seems to trending towards Bradley . Not that the other two should concede anything certainly .Don’t think and mean to suggest that Bradley will run things like say Davidson did for a while .
Could very well unfold like you’ve suggested with Bradley being better most years and one of the other two having a better year here and there. Next 5 years should be interesting.

Could very well unfold like you’ve suggested with Bradley being better most years and one of the other two having a better year here and there. Next 5 years should be interesting.
Very different styles . I do think Darby at times May be has had more talent in terms of May be throwing it about say 12 times more per game over the years

Weather was great. I have no idea about Quinns health. It was a first round game. Gahanna's game plan was to shorten the game and run the ball all night. Defensively, Coffman could never get off the field. Lanza was a really good coach.
28- 26 . So Maybe weather wise it was ok but that Coffman team lost a couple during the season .and Quinn was questionable . The run stop D had issues .wasn’t a huge upset . Both teams were 8-2 . Coffman had lost to Pick by 14 and Lancaster by 14 the week before (. Quinn hurt ) Coffman beat Gahanna 13-7 a few weeks earlier . Another case of Coffman losing a very close game after beating a team earlier in the year . If the game has been razor close in the playoffs ? Over the years Coffman has lost them more than not

Last edited:
Nice list. Schedules/Leagues can make teams look better/worse than they really are.
Bradley was fortunate to have an easier league schedule than other top programs. We will see how their record is in their new league... this year not so good. Also, Gahanna has played one of the toughest schedules in Central Ohio. I do think they under achieve based on talent. But if they played Bradleys schedule from years ago they would have had the same record. And Lanza under achieved there too... never really won anything. That is why he was forced out. And we saw how he did at Grove City.

. And we saw how he did at Grove City.
All four of the SWCS have been butt at football, except for the one or two mediocre seasons when Jordan was at Grove City and a playoff appearance each by CC and Franklin Heights, since they brought back sports.

Also, let's not relitigate the Lanza/GC saga. Too much of the internet was wasted on that when he was there.

Last edited: