MVAC 2021

i don't see that much of a difference between the two that would say the labrae kid is head over tails better
Speed and ceiling. D1 is all about projection. Demma is really good, but he doesn't have elite speed for a skill player. I actually think he is better as a player but that doesn't always mean much when it comes to recruiting.

i don't see that much of a difference between the two that would say the labrae kid is head over tails better

Position they are being recruited or projected for as Jaws mentioned are important factors with these D1 guys. Does Demma play defense? I saw Stephens being listed as a DB for recruiting purposes, not QB or offensive skill player which is maybe where you are comparing them.

I think more important than the projection is how the player is able to transition into the entire scheme of things that is college. I was supposed to see labrae play this year and well the shortened season switched it up. I heard he can play, has great instincts and anticipates the game. I hope he finds the right place, some kids want to play immediately which is not a D1 path.

Looked for both the stephens kid and demma kid on Twitter. Found stephens and looks like the kid can play..he should have a huge year if they have pieces coming back with him. The demma kid was harder to find but there were articles, and he looks like a stud. Incidentally, the fact that stephens has everything on Twitter could be to his advantage when it comes to recruiting. That labrae and Garfield game should be fun to watch. I hope they make that a game of the week or stream it on Ysn.

Garfield will be a tough out in this new league. Tough hard nose kids. Demma is a stud both in football and basketball. Think they should win in their inaugural season but wishing they'd stay in Portage Trail conference...

Looked for both the stephens kid and demma kid on Twitter. Found stephens and looks like the kid can play..he should have a huge year if they have pieces coming back with him. The demma kid was harder to find but there were articles, and he looks like a stud. Incidentally, the fact that stephens has everything on Twitter could be to his advantage when it comes to recruiting. That labrae and Garfield game should be fun to watch. I hope they make that a game of the week or stream it on Ysn.
Your point about Twitter is spot in. Exposure is key. Like you I searched for both before I commented on here. When I got to Demmas hudl his jr highlight film had 17 views. Exposure is everything. If college coaches don't you exist then its hard for them to recruit you. So many parents, kids and even some hs coaches don't realize this.

Garfield will be a tough out in this new league. Tough hard nose kids. Demma is a stud both in football and basketball. Think they should win in their inaugural season but wishing they'd stay in Portage Trail conference...
What a fun league the ptc and the mvac would make. I have been trying to figure out leagues for years and I have no clue...the mvac is a nice small school football league and as a fan I wish they did crossover games. Moggy against Springfield...sign me up.

What a fun league the ptc and the mvac would make. I have been trying to figure out leagues for years and I have no clue...the mvac is a nice small school football league and as a fan I wish they did crossover games. Moggy against Springfield...sign me up.
Wish Mogadore, Southeast and Rootstown would have been included with Garfield. Might have taken some thought but thinking it could have worked with east and west divisions and crossovers..

Position they are being recruited or projected for as Jaws mentioned are important factors with these D1 guys. Does Demma play defense? I saw Stephens being listed as a DB for recruiting purposes, not QB or offensive skill player which is maybe where you are comparing them.
Demma is a stud on defense too, plays an outside backer position. He is good at about everything, my cousin told me that she heard he is a great baseball player too haha

Here's a question for you. I've watched the Portage trail for a few years now ( Valley Christian parent) and noticed some good athletes, especially Garfield and Mogadore. But Ive seen very few go into college ball. Is it because of exposure? Demma only has 17 views? That's absurd.

Here's a question for you. I've watched the Portage trail for a few years now ( Valley Christian parent) and noticed some good athletes, especially Garfield and Mogadore. But Ive seen very few go into college ball. Is it because of exposure? Demma only has 17 views? That's absurd.

I've seen the same from the old ITCL. Crestview, South Range, Columbiana, Springfield, ect, have all had kids that I thought could play somewhere. Perhaps the problem is that D3 NCAA schools don't give out scholarships? They also have much stricter admission requirements so grades could come into play. Also since there are no scholarships, those schools are VERY expensive, and perhaps it's just a better financial option to go to a school they can afford and not play sports?

Mogadore kids mostly to D3. Mount Union? Ashland etc. Chuck Moore from Mogadore was on many D3 championship teams at Mount Union. Bert Vaughn from Mogadore played for Michigan State and some went to University of Akron and Kent State. But really difficult for small D6, 7 schools to get major college scholarships.

I've seen the same from the old ITCL. Crestview, South Range, Columbiana, Springfield, ect, have all had kids that I thought could play somewhere. Perhaps the problem is that D3 NCAA schools don't give out scholarships? They also have much stricter admission requirements so grades could come into play. Also since there are no scholarships, those schools are VERY expensive, and perhaps it's just a better financial option to go to a school they can afford and not play sports?
Mogadore kids mostly to D3. Mount Union? Ashland etc. Chuck Moore from Mogadore was on many D3 championship teams at Mount Union. Bert Vaughn from Mogadore played for Michigan State and some went to University of Akron and Kent State. But really difficult for small D6, 7 schools to get major college scholarships.
Oh I get that you dont see power 5 teams scanning the Mogadore and the Crestview types. But, at least to me, I could see some FCS or D2 type players from those places. Joe Alessi and Nathan Toy come to mind.

Oh I get that you dont see power 5 teams scanning the Mogadore and the Crestview types. But, at least to me, I could see some FCS or D2 type players from those places. Joe Alessi and Nathan Toy come to mind.
There is a lot that goes into recruiting nowadays. To get looks by lower level FBS, ie MAC type schools, FCS and a lot of D2s, kids have to get themselves out there. Camps, interaction on social media and emailing coaches is huge. The days of waiting g for colleges to come to you is long over. Also, just being a good player on a good team isn't always a surefire way to get offers. The bigger schools project. They want specific attributes per position. You have to be really special in some way, exceptional speed, great feet, frame to build on, etc.

There is a lot that goes into recruiting nowadays. To get looks by lower level FBS, ie MAC type schools, FCS and a lot of D2s, kids have to get themselves out there. Camps, interaction on social media and emailing coaches is huge. The days of waiting g for colleges to come to you is long over. Also, just being a good player on a good team isn't always a surefire way to get offers. The bigger schools project. They want specific attributes per position. You have to be really special in some way, exceptional speed, great feet, frame to build on, etc.
I agree with this 100%. I just went through this myself. I believe that's where the HS coach can come in. Help emailing coaches, helping with the social media (and what NOT to put out there) and helping with camps, either individually or a group. I just wonder if certain coaches are or are not proactive in their student athlete getting looks

I agree with this 100%. I just went through this myself. I believe that's where the HS coach can come in. Help emailing coaches, helping with the social media (and what NOT to put out there) and helping with camps, either individually or a group. I just wonder if certain coaches are or are not proactive in their student athlete getting looks
A lot of coaches are ignorant to the process as many parents and kids are. They are still old school in their ways or just aren't that interested in going out of their way to help. The dynamics of it all has changed. The hs coach is almost in a position of support rather than the point man now. Right or wrong thats how it is.

Plus many people don't realize how hard it is to actually get a scholarship in football. "He's D1" gets thrown around a lot when people don't have any idea what a D1 athlete is. There were a total of 125-130 D1 scholarship players in this years class in all of Ohio. Out of 700+ schools that play football that is a tiny fraction of the players that has what it takes.

Last edited:
A lot of coaches are ignorant to the process as many parents and kids are. They are still old school in their ways or just aren't that interested in going out of their way to help. The dynamics of it all has changed. The hs coach is almost in a position of support rather than the point man now. Right or wrong thats how it is.

Plus many people don't realize how hard it is to actually get a scholarship in football. "He's D1" gets thrown around a lot when people don't have any idea what a D1 athlete is. There were a total of 125-130 D1 scholarship players in this years class in all of Ohio. Out of 700+ schools that play football that is a tiny fraction of the players that has what it takes.
I believe many fans/parents blame "the coach" for their son not getting a D1 scholarship ... when in reality they were just not good enough. I know for a fact that many coaches are just as frustrated about the process as the parents. Many people think that the HS coaches get to pick and choose who gets a scholarship and who doesn't ... not even close to reality ... the reality is most (not saying all) coaches bust their butt to try to get their players scholarships ... make many letters/emails/phone calls ... and get equally ignored by the colleges ... I remember a few years back when I was coaching ... I had a real stud ... on a very bad team ... I could not even get friends of mine (who I went to college with) to even look at this kid ... he ended up walking on at a D2 school ... killed it ... and had a cup of coffee in the NFL ... but blaming the coach is easy so many people do it.

I believe many fans/parents blame "the coach" for their son not getting a D1 scholarship ... when in reality they were just not good enough. I know for a fact that many coaches are just as frustrated about the process as the parents. Many people think that the HS coaches get to pick and choose who gets a scholarship and who doesn't ... not even close to reality ... the reality is most (not saying all) coaches bust their butt to try to get their players scholarships ... make many letters/emails/phone calls ... and get equally ignored by the colleges ... I remember a few years back when I was coaching ... I had a real stud ... on a very bad team ... I could not even get friends of mine (who I went to college with) to even look at this kid ... he ended up walking on at a D2 school ... killed it ... and had a cup of coffee in the NFL ... but blaming the coach is easy so many people do it.
I agree that there are a lot of coaches that work hard to get kids looks. I know ours does. But I know many that don't feel its their job or they don't have contacts or know the process. Coaches jobs are hard with all that it entails and their top priority shouldn't be to get kids into colleges, but it should at least be on the list. Those that blame the coach are just plain ignorant. Ask any college coach what they think of parents that blame hs coaches, for anything.

Maybe be a walk on success? There have been many of those in this area. Problem is the pool of recruited players for any one college program is deep, deeper than most think.

Anyone know who McDonald or Sebring are playing Week 2?

I'm assuming Chalker for one on them.

Last edited:
I’d guess McDonald would be playing Columbiana week 2. They’ve played each other in week 2 since 2017 (scheduled this year but canceled due to all-league schedule) and both are “unknown”. Can’t say for certain.

Back in 1995, Crestview's Brad Gecina. He was one of the best athletes I had ever seen. All-Ohio in 3 sports. Tressel was HC at YSU at the time and we saw him all the time trying to get him to come to YSU. He eventually chose the bright lights of the Big-10, going to Indiana. He got some decent playing time at OLB, starting as a JR, but that was it. It blew my mind that he was an average player at that level lol. That shows just how special you have to be to make it big. I know more recently, Corey and Carter Hill both got D2 scholarships. I think Corey ended up playing baseball at a D2 and Carter broke all sorts of passing records at D3 Waynesburg (transferred from a D2). I believe a 2017 graduate, Jordan Murphy is currently playing for Bowling Green. But that's about it. We've had some really good teams the past 15 or so years, and those are the only ones I know of that really made noise at the next level. It sure is tough to do. At the smaller NCAA schools, you really have to be an animal in the classroom as well as the playing field if you want to go there and play.

After a year and a half, Western Reserve finally has a new official head football coach. Jason Lude was approved at tonight’s board meeting after serving as the interim coach last season. Congrats to Coach Lude and we look forward to a great season in 2021 and beyond.

It did look like one of his assistants who has been coaching at Western Reserve for as long as I can remember, did not get approved through. Maybe my zoom cut out, but as the head track coach there, I found that confusing. Can anyone from WR confirm or deny?

After a year and a half, Western Reserve finally has a new official head football coach. Jason Lude was approved at tonight’s board meeting after serving as the interim coach last season. Congrats to Coach Lude and we look forward to a great season in 2021 and beyond.

It did look like one of his assistants who has been coaching at Western Reserve for as long as I can remember, did not get approved through. Maybe my zoom cut out, but as the head track coach there, I found that confusing. Can anyone from WR confirm or deny?
[/QUOTE

Can not confirm that but happy Lude got what he deserved. The only person I can think of it Beunte and that's a shame hope it was his choice.
According to kids on the team, Buente was named the OC this offseason. So I would assume it is not his choice. Lots of rumors out there, but this seems to be the same tactics from the same people who continue to be a problem out here. Western Reserve will never truly move forward until they remove the problem. Kids love Buente, he teaches in the building, he runs the weight room, he was just named the head track coach, everyone knows exactly what this is. New year, same problem. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, like I said, I thought my computer went out. Turns out it did not.

According to kids on the team, Buente was named the OC this offseason. So I would assume it is not his choice. Lots of rumors out there, but this seems to be the same tactics from the same people who continue to be a problem out here. Western Reserve will never truly move forward until they remove the problem. Kids love Buente, he teaches in the building, he runs the weight room, he was just named the head track coach, everyone knows exactly what this is. New year, same problem. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, like I said, I thought my computer went out. Turns out it did not.
How is WR looking this upcoming season? Im locking forward to our game.