Northwest Ohio Realignment

The Midwest Athletic Conference (MAC) goes largely unchanged, though Delphos St. John’s departs for the more geographical-fitting NWC. Anna leaves as a football-only school for the N10 (9 schools, FB Divisions 5-7).
In reality if DSJ left, Anna would join the MAC in all sports and Fort Loramie would be added as a full member. Fun to speculate though. Theres only one way I see DSJ leaving.

Yeah I held my nose on that one - kinda thought the same. The TAAC may be the big loser in this shuffle. 8-man FB may be the only chance for them to survive and attract other schools away from their current lot. Not sure how many of the remaining schools would have interest in that though, beyond TC.
Sadly most of these aren't even close to what is going to happen. Elmwood made the move my guess is BVC will be safe for now but more changes coming to keep it intact. The NBC will lose Woodmore it is almost a given or Elmwood might have stayed.

This stuff is fascinating - I know it doesn't take into account recent changes (because its hard to keep up), but I tried mapping out a scenario:

Both the Toledo City League (TCL) and the Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) fold. The football D-1 schools (Perrysburg, Whitmer, Start, Findlay) join D-2 schools Bowsher, Waite, Fremont Ross and Clay to form the Toledo Metro Conference (TMC) (8 schools, FB Divisions 1-2).

I love crazy realignment scenario mapping just as much as anyone...but yeah, when you included Perrysburg in a hypothetical conference with Start and Waite, I could hear the collective pearl necklaces being clutched from all the way up in Harbor Springs.

Same. Honestly who is this guy? Haha everything he’s said has been extremely inaccurate

Was right about the TAAC/NWOAL stuff, and I'm sure when we get a post-mortem receipt gathering I'll be far more "right" than "wrong". Just relaying what I've gathered from 25 years worth of coaching, teaching, and admin contacts in the area...can't speak to the veracity of all of it, but this is a message board, not the WSJ, so I figured I'd share. If you'd rather this just be a thread about news instead of fans and connected individuals sharing what they know or hear from various people in a forum with like-minded folks, we can hold off on posting a thing about this for the next few months if you'd like.

Northwood was the school involved that everyone would be surprised by...and immediately after I said that, Northwood and Swanton were reported to be creating a conference with 3 other teams in the TAAC and NWOAL...but yes, keep making fun of my correct information on that :LOL:
I never understood that. There was lots of conversation that Northwood was not happy with their situation in the TAAC.

Last edited:
I never understood that. There was lots fo conversation that Northwood was not happy with their situation in the TAAC.

I was more referring to the where, not the why. Most speculation had them going back to the NBC, not attempting to create a brand new conference (that's the part I thought would surprise people).

Strack has an ego for sure and why I don’t know. He’s at WTOL for god sakes.
While it is a free country and he has 1st amendment rights, strack’s tweets oftentimes have political and non-sports commentary. As he is posting as a employee of wtol, I wonder if that has ever caused issues as, an employee, any views he tweets could be interpreted as representing the management or ownership of wtol. I don’t have a dog in the fight...just asking questions.

I never understood that. There was lots of conversation that Northwood was not happy with their situation in the TAAC.

Northwood has talked to multiple current leagues about membership and tried to create their own, so they clearly want something different than their current situation.

Northwood has talked to multiple current leagues about membership and tried to create their own, so they clearly want something different than their current situation.

These are the same folks who bailed from the SLL in 2000 to go win basically every TAAC title since then. They’re more than welcome to return

This stuff is fascinating - I know it doesn't take into account recent changes (because its hard to keep up), but I tried mapping out a scenario:

Both the Toledo City League (TCL) and the Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) fold. The football D-1 schools (Perrysburg, Whitmer, Start, Findlay) join D-2 schools Bowsher, Waite, Fremont Ross and Clay to form the Toledo Metro Conference (TMC) (8 schools, FB Divisions 1-2).

The Northern Lakes League splits, with Anthony Wayne, Springfield and both Sylvania schools remaining. Out of convenience, they are joined by the Toledo Catholic schools (SFS, SJJ, SUA, NDA, TCC) and possibly Lima Sr. (10 schools, FB Divisions 2-3).

Bowling Green, Maumee and Napoleon leave the NLL to re-form the Great Northern Conference (GNC) with Bryan and Wauseon from the NWOAL. Defiance joins from the WBL; Rossford joins from the NBC. Rogers, Woodward and Scott round out the league roster (10 schools, FB Divisions 3-4).

The NWOAL staves off extinction again. Surviving schools Swanton, Evergreen, Archbold, Delta, and Liberty Center welcome in Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood to fill the void of the larger schools. Montpelier returns as a full-time member. Patrick Henry, despite being smallest school, remains as they play well to the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern Buckeye Conference (NBC) gains Liberty-Benton from the BVC, and loses Rossford to the NWOAL (8 teams, FB Divisions 5-6).

The Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) survives the exodus of Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood. MVCD, Emmanuel Christian, Monclova Christian, and Toledo Christian are joined full time by Danbury, New Riegel and Old Fort. Sandusky St. Mary’s CC, Tiffin Calvert, and St. Joe’s CC join the TAAC but remain members of the SBC-River in football, although the TAAC is poised to become an 8-Man football conference if those programs switch (10 teams, non-football).

The Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC) continues its three-division structure with minimal changes. Norwalk moves from SBC-Bay to SBC-Lake. Lakota moves from SBC-River to SBC-Bay, swapping places with Margaretta. Danbury, Old Fort and New Riegel move to the TAAC full time, while SJCC, SMCC, and Calvert become football-only members of SBC-River.

The Putnam County League (PCL) folds into the Buckeye Border Conference (BBC) and becomes the first OHSAA conference to sanction 8-Man football. Holgate joins North Central, Stryker, Pettisville, Fayette with Continental, Kalida, Miller City, Ottoville and Ft. Jennings (10 schools, FB Division 8-Man).

The Blanchard Valley Conference (BVC) goes largely unchanged, except for the largest school, Liberty-Benton departing for the Northern Buckeye Conference (8 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Green Meadows Conference (GMC) adds Ayersville, Paulding, Edon and Hilltop. Holgate departs for the BBC, giving the league full participation in football (10 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Midwest Athletic Conference (MAC) goes largely unchanged, though Delphos St. John’s departs for the more geographical-fitting NWC. Anna leaves as a football-only school for the N10 (9 schools, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern 10 Conference (N10) gains Anna and Ada. Upper Sandusky stays but may seek a new home to right-size the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 4-7).

The Northwest Conference (NWC) shakes up, as Paulding moves to the GMC and Ada moves to the N10. Lima Central Catholic, Perry, Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa move over, Delphos Jefferson departs for the WBL, and Columbus Grove slides in to replace them (10 teams, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Western Buckeye League (WBL) remains largely unchanged – Defiance departs for the re-formed GNC, but are replaced by Delphos Jefferson (10 teams, FB Divisions 3-5).

Paulding is already going to the GMC.

Columbus Grove is already in the NWC.

Why would the N10, in North Central Ohio, add ANNA clear down in Shelby County? Good God it's 90 minutes from Anna to Bucyrus.

Literally nothing you posted makes any sense at all.

The Northern Lakes League splits, with Anthony Wayne, Springfield and both Sylvania schools remaining. Out of convenience, they are joined by the Toledo Catholic schools (SFS, SJJ, SUA, NDA, TCC) and possibly Lima Sr. (10 schools, FB Divisions 2-3).

Bowling Green, Maumee and Napoleon leave the NLL to re-form the Great Northern Conference (GNC) with Bryan and Wauseon from the NWOAL. Defiance joins from the WBL; Rossford joins from the NBC. Rogers, Woodward and Scott round out the league roster (10 schools, FB Divisions 3-4).

The NWOAL staves off extinction again. Surviving schools Swanton, Evergreen, Archbold, Delta, and Liberty Center welcome in Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood to fill the void of the larger schools. Montpelier returns as a full-time member. Patrick Henry, despite being smallest school, remains as they play well to the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern Buckeye Conference (NBC) gains Liberty-Benton from the BVC, and loses Rossford to the NWOAL (8 teams, FB Divisions 5-6).

The Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) survives the exodus of Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood. MVCD, Emmanuel Christian, Monclova Christian, and Toledo Christian are joined full time by Danbury, New Riegel and Old Fort. Sandusky St. Mary’s CC, Tiffin Calvert, and St. Joe’s CC join the TAAC but remain members of the SBC-River in football, although the TAAC is poised to become an 8-Man football conference if those programs switch (10 teams, non-football).

The Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC) continues its three-division structure with minimal changes. Norwalk moves from SBC-Bay to SBC-Lake. Lakota moves from SBC-River to SBC-Bay, swapping places with Margaretta. Danbury, Old Fort and New Riegel move to the TAAC full time, while SJCC, SMCC, and Calvert become football-only members of SBC-River.

The Putnam County League (PCL) folds into the Buckeye Border Conference (BBC) and becomes the first OHSAA conference to sanction 8-Man football. Holgate joins North Central, Stryker, Pettisville, Fayette with Continental, Kalida, Miller City, Ottoville and Ft. Jennings (10 schools, FB Division 8-Man).

The Blanchard Valley Conference (BVC) goes largely unchanged, except for the largest school, Liberty-Benton departing for the Northern Buckeye Conference (8 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Green Meadows Conference (GMC) adds Ayersville, Paulding, Edon and Hilltop. Holgate departs for the BBC, giving the league full participation in football (10 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Northern 10 Conference (N10) gains Anna and Ada. Upper Sandusky stays but may seek a new home to right-size the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 4-7).

The Northwest Conference (NWC) shakes up, as Paulding moves to the GMC and Ada moves to the N10. Lima Central Catholic, Perry, Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa move over, Delphos Jefferson departs for the WBL, and Columbus Grove slides in to replace them (10 teams, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Western Buckeye League (WBL) remains largely unchanged – Defiance departs for the re-formed GNC, but are replaced by Delphos Jefferson (10 teams, FB Divisions 3-5).

I don't want to be the person to just dunk on someone but literally every part of this scenario is massively flawed. Like if this is just a messing around thing, that's one thing but if this is any kind of prediction, bro....

- I'm actually a little intrigued by the Toledo Metro Conference thing but the NLL-Catholic pairing is LITERALLY the reason all this started and it being a non-starter is a why this is moving so slowly.

- You had me on the Great Northern Conference until you added Rogers, Woodward and Scott. No dice at all. Defiance won't leave the WBL for that.

- The TAAC thing? Monclova Christian isn't even an OHSAA member and the TAAC wouldn't become an 8-man conference because there's already an extreme-northwest Ohio 8-man football conference that is actively courting membership.

- The Putnam County League schools aren't going to have football at all. Again, Holgate is already in an 8-man league with Stryker and I would imagine North Central once they finally go varsity with their infant football program.

- THE GMC ALREADY HAS AYERSVILLE AND PAULDING AND HOLGATE IS ALREADY GOING TO THE BBC.

- Anna to the N-10? That's the most insane thing about this, they can compete in the MAC and any round trip from Anna to any school in the N-10 is between 150 and 210 miles total.

- Northwest Conference is not taking Lima Central Catholic in any scenario, Paulding's already leaving, Perry is happy where they are, Leipsic is already going to the NWC next year, Pandora-Gilboa's not going anywhere and Columbus Grove is already in the NWC so how would they replace Jefferson?

- And finally, Jefferson in the WBL is not a fit whatsoever in any sport in any scenario.

Whew.

I was thinking something. If Maumee and Napoleon dont like the size differental of the other schools, perhaps it should be Perrysburg and AW that leave or are asked to leave. Those two are the outliers in NW Ohio with being very wealthy and growing. Clay and Findlay would be a better fit with the rest of the league than PBurg and AW.

I was thinking something. If Maumee and Napoleon dont like the size differental of the other schools, perhaps it should be Perrysburg and AW that leave or are asked to leave. Those two are the outliers in NW Ohio with being very wealthy and growing. Clay and Findlay would be a better fit with the rest of the league than PBurg and AW.
Would solve problems in football, maybe? But they would still get trounced in nearly every sport.

Also doesn't solve the problems of the TRAC publics who are still want to get away from the privs.

I don't want to be the person to just dunk on someone but literally every part of this scenario is massively flawed. Like if this is just a messing around thing, that's one thing but if this is any kind of prediction, bro....

- I'm actually a little intrigued by the Toledo Metro Conference thing but the NLL-Catholic pairing is LITERALLY the reason all this started and it being a non-starter is a why this is moving so slowly.

- You had me on the Great Northern Conference until you added Rogers, Woodward and Scott. No dice at all. Defiance won't leave the WBL for that.

- The TAAC thing? Monclova Christian isn't even an OHSAA member and the TAAC wouldn't become an 8-man conference because there's already an extreme-northwest Ohio 8-man football conference that is actively courting membership.

- The Putnam County League schools aren't going to have football at all. Again, Holgate is already in an 8-man league with Stryker and I would imagine North Central once they finally go varsity with their infant football program.

- THE GMC ALREADY HAS AYERSVILLE AND PAULDING AND HOLGATE IS ALREADY GOING TO THE BBC.

- Anna to the N-10? That's the most insane thing about this, they can compete in the MAC and any round trip from Anna to any school in the N-10 is between 150 and 210 miles total.

- Northwest Conference is not taking Lima Central Catholic in any scenario, Paulding's already leaving, Perry is happy where they are, Leipsic is already going to the NWC next year, Pandora-Gilboa's not going anywhere and Columbus Grove is already in the NWC so how would they replace Jefferson?

- And finally, Jefferson in the WBL is not a fit whatsoever in any sport in any scenario.

Whew.
I saw one tread that had wapak going to NLL ? that isn’t happening either especially when closer to Dayton than Toledo

Norwalk is already in the SBC Lake.

Ive said this as well. However Clay and Ross would be best, Findlay is a much bigger school. But yes, we’re getting to the point where AW and Perrysburg are winning simply on size. Even down classes are still going to be much better than average ones at the other 6 schools

Ive said this as well. However Clay and Ross would be best, Findlay is a much bigger school. But yes, we’re getting to the point where AW and Perrysburg are winning simply on size. Even down classes are still going to be much better than average ones at the other 6 schools

No idea what the bylaws are, but I wonder if you'd need 7/8 (>75%) votes to kick a school. If so there is no chance that perfectly reasonable, and honestly the best scenario for all, would ever happen.

Sounds familiar;

Reading that history, it seems Maumee has always held the keys. Kind of annoying to be honest after reading how they wouldn't budge on doing anything then and now, especially given their "athletic successes."

As to the next key that needs to happen, the NWOAL 3 need to decide what they're gonna do.

And as mentioned, Northwood has been trying to get out for the last four years, and Ottawa Hills hasn't been happy about the recruiting that has been happening. Of course, reading the OH history of league affiliations has always placed them on an island with no general direction to go

Last edited:
Reading that history, it seems Maumee has always held the keys. Kind of annoying to be honest after reading how they wouldn't budge on doing anything then and now, especially given their "athletic successes."

As to the next key that needs to happen, the NWOAL 3 need to decide what they're gonna do.

And as mentioned, Northwood has been trying to get out for the last four years, and Ottawa Hills hasn't been happy about the recruiting that has been happening. Of course, reading the OH history of league affiliations has always placed them on an island with no general direction to go

OH IS on an island as the only small public school in Lucas County.

AW and Perrysburg are not going to leave for the benefit of Maumee and Napoleon. The rest of the league is not yet in a position to vote them out.

Findlay is still larger than AW and farther away. That is not a better fit.

Fremont Ross would come in as the 4th largest school. Travel wise compared to Findlay it would be farther for BG & Napoleon, closer for Clay, about the same for everyone else.

While it is a free country and he has 1st amendment rights, strack’s tweets oftentimes have political and non-sports commentary. As he is posting as a employee of wtol, I wonder if that has ever caused issues as, an employee, any views he tweets could be interpreted as representing the management or ownership of wtol. I don’t have a dog in the fight...just asking questions.
Do you think you posting stupid things on Yappi is interpreted as representing the management or ownership of wherever you work?

If you don't like the things he tweets about politics, fine, whatever. But don't pretend like you "don't have a dog in the fight" and "you're just asking questions".

Do you think you posting stupid things on Yappi is interpreted as representing the management or ownership of wherever you work?

If you don't like the things he tweets about politics, fine, whatever. But don't pretend like you "don't have a dog in the fight" and "you're just asking questions".
You are fundamentally right. The difference with Yappi is that (mostly) everyone chooses to remain anonymous (for good reason, probably). Strack makes his tweets knowing he is not.

Findlay is still larger than AW and farther away. That is not a better fit.
Don't be surprised when next count comes out the AW is bigger then Findlay. Findlay is closing two elementary schools for a reason.

That doesn't change the fact that there is no way NLL is going to swap AW for Findlay.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.25.15 AM.png

You are fundamentally right. The difference with Yappi is that (mostly) everyone chooses to remain anonymous (for good reason, probably). Strack makes his tweets knowing he is not.
So you're saying he's got the balls to put his name behind what he thinks, while the vast majority of us cowards don't? You're correct, and that says more about us than it does him.