SW D1 District Tournament - WHAT?????

nasty513

Just heard last night that the DI District is SW Ohio is going to be held over the course of THREE days....after OHSAA recommended 2 days.

Thursday - 106-145
Friday - 152-285
Sat - Blood Rounds & Place Matches

Sooooo...the lightweights have to hold their weight from Thursday AM weigh in....until Sat morning weigh in...while only getting the +3 and no weigh out from Thurs night. What idiot came up with this plan? Was there actually any wrestling people involved with advising the board on this? The guys who typically have hardest time with weight control....have to hold their weight for 3 days. Upper weights have to hold it overnight. SWDAB 3 day rationale likely is health and safety during COVD then they go and put half the field health and safety at risk.... If they want to go to a 3 days then they really need to reconsider and do one of the following..

1. If they don't want to do weigh outs or give additional weights, Switch the schedule...145-heavy on Thurs and lightweights on Friday. Those bigger guys don't lose the same % of body weight....

and/or

2. Give the Thurs competitors +4 on Sat am weigh in...heck give them all +4.

Can't believe that this has not been posted on here yet...maybe not many realizing it yet...and probably not many wrestlers/parents told yet.

Some may say well you shouldn't be cutting that much....great...but it's still happening even if some say it shouldn't.

Some say...everyone weighs in at state on Thurs and then again Fri night.... Great. Thurs weigh in is +3. Friday is +4...and only placers weigh in. There aren't any parallels here.

Some say...everyone weighs in at state on Thurs and then again Fri night.... Great. Thurs weigh in is +3. Friday is +4...and only placers weigh in. There aren't any parallels here.

Are there no weight allowances this season?

This is regarding District not state...my assumption is allowances will be same as always. Well as far as what I read...wrestlers get normal +2 for Thursday Weigh in. On Sat AM everyone gets their +3..... but the little guys gotta hold that weight from Thurs am weigh in all the way to Sat am. easy for some probably but some kids holding weight is worse than cutting it.

How about the more important point that they will be missing two days of school as well. This is just stupid. Covid numbers are going down. Just do it like normal but with sessions. Tournaments are still going on people.

106 - 145 will miss Thursday, 152 - 285 will miss Friday. From what I heard they are not allowed to be in the gym if they are not wrestling that day.

I am going to guess that the powers that be did an assessment and determined they could not effectively run the necessary rounds (two championship & two consolation) as two separate sessions on the same day.

It is my understanding that the northeast district sites are running their tournaments as two day events with an early group and a late group each day.

I don't have a wrestler competing so not Dad crying about his kid. I just found it be an illogical solution to COVID that nobody else in the state is doing. Not up to general masses to determine if a kid is in wrong weight class or they should not cut so much...maybe it's cut hard or be out of lineup? Seen that plenty of times. If this was the normal way that the district operated then I totally get it...man up. But it is not. Just looking for discussion...not creation of excuses Coach Leon.

"Coach Leon" ....... Love it.

An illogical solution to covid would be not having the district tournament whatsoever. Each facility is different and faces its own limitations and procedures based on the School District, county health department, and of course state mandates.

There is no real discussion here other than what the Southwest District Athletic Board approves. So once everyone is informed, everyone should prepare accordingly.

I don't think that any of these kids will be sitting around 10-15 years from now telling "old war stories" about high school wrestling and someone will claim that they didn't make it to state because they had to hold their weight for an extra day. If you're good enough to wrestle at state, you'll find a way to make it there.

I'm honestly just happy they're having the State Tournament series. I'm down for whatever it takes to give these kids an opportunity to reach their goal/dream. I'm glad that even though some teams have had COVID issues, I haven't heard of any kids/coaches/refs becoming seriously ill and I hope that continues. I thank those who've worked tirelessly to make it happen. Everyone know's it's not going to be the same but hopefully we as a wrestling community can make it as special as possible.

Sucks for the team with only 2 wrestlers (145 & 152) and have drilled and warmed up together since 1st grade.

True, but at least they get to wrestle. Would give just about anything for my senior to be able to have his senior season, even in these crazy times.

"Coach Leon" ....... Love it.

An illogical solution to covid would be not having the district tournament whatsoever. Each facility is different and faces its own limitations and procedures based on the School District, county health department, and of course state mandates.

There is no real discussion here other than what the Southwest District Athletic Board approves. So once everyone is informed, everyone should prepare accordingly.

I don't think that any of these kids will be sitting around 10-15 years from now telling "old war stories" about high school wrestling and someone will claim that they didn't make it to state because they had to hold their weight for an extra day. If you're good enough to wrestle at state, you'll find a way to make it there.

Sorry honest mistake there with your name. No disrespect intended. While I agree once everyone is informed you prepare accordingly...however they were informed in Feb..about 3 weeks out. It's not like there was any indication that something like this could be anticipated. And kids make weight class decisions in Oct-Nov based on how they think the season will go.

If it is truely NOT a big deal then why not put the 152-285 on day 1? I think that is a fair question. Alleviates the issue for guys losing the most body%....and it is normal for those lighter guys.

My greater message here I guess since I don't have a wrestler any longer is this is another example of how uniformed and out of touch that SWABDAB is...and how little thought they put into wrestling.

Apology accepted.

We wrestled GWOC at Fairmont this past Saturday. Had a chance to speak with a handful of Admins/ADs about the various impacts on the state tournament series in multiple sports. Each AD was just happy to have kids competing. We can argue logistics until we are blue in the face, but the 3 day model is what fits for this District Location.

No post on Yappi is gonna change that.

likely that zero posts on yappi change much of anything.... discussion is what the posts here are about....and that is why I keep commenting when others want to "shout it down". I take nothing that AD's say about wrestling as having any touch on what is happening in wrestling community. Again...if it is not a big deal then why not put the heavier guys on Thursday.

I want our teammates to be able to be present to support each other ir-regardless of their weight. Other than this, we are happy to be wrestling and thankful to all who have been pushing to keep it moving.

I'm confused on the weight - can someone explain the rule then to me?

Day 1 weigh in, will there be another checkpoint? This seems pretty rough on the wrestlers

I'm confused on the weight - can someone explain the rule then to me?

Day 1 weigh in, will there be another checkpoint? This seems pretty rough on the wrestlers

Yes, those that advance to Saturday will have to weigh-in again Saturday morning. It will be the same weight as Day 1