Elder Basketball 2020-2021

I understand Moeller is a very good defensive team, as is St X, but to score 3 points and 4 points respectively in the 3rd Qtr of the last two league games is just bad. They've also been outscored in the 3rd Qtr 12-3 and 14-4 in the past two league games. Teams are going to make adjustments at halftime, specifically well-coached teams. Have to be ready with some different sets and counters off the adjustments the other teams make.

Last edited:
Would have been nice to win GCL, but they were within like 2 or 3 under 4 minutes.

This team is going to end the season right where most of us thought. They’ve proven they can beat any team on any night.

The regular season didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t know. The real season for this team starts in the tournament. They need a deep run to validate.

I understand Moeller is a very good defensive team, as is St X, but to score 3 points and 4 points respectively in the 3rd Qtr of the last two league games is just bad. They've also been outscored in the 3rd Qtr 12-3 and 14-4 in the past two league games. Teams are going to make adjustments at halftime, specifically well-coached teams. Have to be ready with some different sets and counters off the adjustments the other teams make.

All that said, they cut it to 3 with like 3:30 to go. Unfortunately, Moeller’s role players really killed them. Turner had like 4 3s all year and had 4 tonight alone.

I’m not sure what the answer is to their 3rd qtr issues. Maybe try to work it into Larkins more. Possibly double up down low with him and Browne? I think Elder starts to panic when they’re not hitting shots and they force some bad shots. If they can work the ball into the post, maybe that helps take some of the Pressure off the Guards to score.

I don’t see this team getting beyond Dayton right now. They live & die by the 3, but they’re too inconsistent. They hit 6 in the 1st half and only 2 in the 2nd. And one of those was Nieman being left completely wide open.

Last edited:
All that said, they cut it to 3 with like 3:30 to go. Unfortunately, Moeller’s role players really killed them. Turner had like 4 3s all year and had 4 tonight alone.

I don’t see this team getting beyond Dayton right now. They live & die by the 3, but they’re too inconsistent. They hit 6 in the 1st half and only 2 in the 2nd. And one of those was Nieman being left completely wide open.
That's exactly my point - say they score 8 in the 3rd instead of 4, they're still trailing but then they're in a potential back and forth game in the 4th Qtr as opposed to playing catchup the entire time. I'm not saying they can't get outscored, especially against Moeller but you can't give them a 10 point edge in any quarter. There's too much talent on this team for them to be scoring just 3 and 4 points in ant quarter.

That's exactly my point - say they score 8 in the 3rd instead of 4, they're still trailing but then they're in a potential back and forth game in the 4th Qtr as opposed to playing catchup the entire time. I'm not saying they can't get outscored, especially against Moeller but you can't give them a 10 point edge in any quarter. There's too much talent on this team for them to be scoring just 3 and 4 points in ant quarter.
I’m more concerned about last week’s bad 3rd qtr than this week. Moe has so much size and length, I can understand having a bad qtr. X isn’t nearly as big and they still struggled.

This is the same team as last year with better and improved talent. They had the same problems last year. The make up is the same.

When teams run them off the 3 point line, they struggle to score. Have to incorporate a more balanced attack against teams with the same caliber of talent and coaching.

You need to develop some low post scoring and kids that can create for others. They just don’t develop that. They’re in love with shooting threes. The good thing is, they’re good enough at that to beat anyone, but would require a sustained hot streak to make a deep run.

There’s really no further analysis. It’s just that this team has much better players. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Larkins had all 3 of his buckets in the 1st quarter, which was a great balance of shooting and paint play.

They kind of went away from it. Almost 60% of their shots were 3s - it’s just way too lopsided to sustain.

A Teams role players tearing it up and one guy making 4 3s makes me wonder what type of D is being played. Hard for any team to live and die by the 3 and not play stellar Defense. Tournament draw this weekend?

They have 4 D1 starters and I believe Turner is also playing in college somewhere. Their role players are college level guys. Defense wasn’t the issue, it was actually pretty good.

I think Elder gets a 2 seed.

Last edited:
A Teams role players tearing it up and one guy making 4 3s makes me wonder what type of D is being played. Hard for any team to live and die by the 3 and not play stellar Defense. Tournament draw this weekend?
Elder played solid D, but with a team like Moeller you have to play the odds. The big concern is the shooting. We can over analyze these past 2 games all we want, but that’s what it boils down to.

My optimistic top 10

1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. St X
4. Lakota East
5. Fairfield
6. Turpin
7. Walnut Hills
8. Lakota West
9. Mason
10. Lebanon

My optimistic top 10

1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. St X
4. Lakota East
5. Fairfield
6. Turpin
7. Walnut Hills
8. Lakota West
9. Mason
10. Lebanon

x should be the 2 seed. Honestly though, seeding isn’t the biggest concern right now. Elder needs to figure out how to become more balanced on Offense or they’re going to be knocked out in the Tournament early.

It seems like since everyone tries to avoid Moeller every year, they stack the bracket in Moellers favor. Last year, Moeller played seeds 32, 31, 16 and 12 and walked to the District Championship. They could have won those games with their JV teams.

While everyone else in the city was beating each other up and playing tough games in games 2 and 3.

Two out of the last 3 games the opponent has shot 60% from the field. If that’s considered solid D people are just fooling themselves. X I think has earned the 2 seed but will have to wait and see how the GMC Coaches Vote.

This is unofficial.

Until tomorrow ;)

1. Moeller
2. St. Xavier
3. Elder
4. Fairfield
5. East
6. Walnut
7. Mason
8. Turpin
9. Princeton
10. LaSalle
11. West
12. Hamilton
13. Western Hills
14. North West
15. Oak Hills
16. Mt. Healthy
17. Anderson
18. Sycamore
19. Middletown
20. Milford
21. Loveland
22. Kings
23. Western Brown
24. Talawanda
25. Edgewood
26. West Clermont
27. Harrison
28. Colerain
29. Winton Woods
30. Withrow
31. Goshen
32. Little Miami

My guesses:

I think Turpin and OH end up in Elder's bracket...

West High jumps in with Moe...

Princeton, West, and Northwest in X bracket.

FF, Walnut, Hamilton

East, Mason, LaSalle

Sleepers:

Hamilton (been playing much better after the dismissals than before)
Lakota West (their Sr big man has been really good the last month of the season giving them 3 guys capable of 20+)

I think Elder is a significantly better team than Turpin and Oak Hills. I think they beat either by 10+ the second time around if it plays out that way.

My guesses:

I think Turpin and OH end up in Elder's bracket...

West High jumps in with Moe...

Princeton, West, and Northwest in X bracket.

FF, Walnut, Hamilton

East, Mason, LaSalle

Other scenarios... Hamilton if they get back their 7' hops in with Moe.
East goes in with Elder
Princeton goes in with FF

Rumors of Oak Hills and East going in with Elder. If East bypasses Elder, Turpin then would go in with Elder. They have beaten Elder the last 3 times they have played them.

Great draw for Elder...
Elder plays Harrison and Winton Woods, will get Princeton or Hamilton in Sec finals. Hamilton has been very good lately. Should play East in District if they are not upset by West High or LaSalle winner. Avoid Moe and X until Regional final. Would have tough game vs Centerville in Regional Semi.

Hamilton/Princeton is a coin flip at this point. Honestly, at this point Hamilton might be the favorite. Elder is better than both but both are capable of beating Elder.

Likely Lakota East after that, which would be even tougher, but winnable. I like it because all 3 of these schools have little familiarity with Elder.

Where is Wayne?

Last edited:
Good draw for the Panthers. There used to be a rule about not streaming tournament games but with Covid they will hopefully change. Also, not sure what rules will be about attendance at tournament games. Anyone know ticket situation?