Northwest Ohio Realignment

It would be interesting to see Napoleon and Defiance moved to the last week of the season.
It definitely had a different feel this past season, for numerous reasons. I kind of liked it being the last game, but just looking forward to that first game of the season against your biggest rival just can't be beat!

Didn't Mayzes get in trouble for recruiting 8th graders several years ago when one of the junior highs was a feeder for both high schools?

His big thing was using some wonderful rental property over down Central Avenue to the absolutely fullest extent he could.

I believe it's data from the previous year, pulled every 2. Right now the data being used was approved in March, 2019, so it's fall 18 data. It's due to be done again this year for the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons, using fall 20 data...but with COVID and irregularities across the state as far as enrollment and in person vs remote learning, I have no idea what's going to happen. Maybe they'll just use this data another year or 2.

They said they are going to go with the same enrollment 1 more year. So they will do count this fall and changes will happen 22-23 school year.

It has been open enrollment throughout the district up until this last redistricting. Some schools would get closed due to capacity restrictions but if you wanted to drive your kid you could enroll them anywhere. I think they wanted to restrict the open enrollment when they did the redistricting because they were worried it wouldn't do any good if everyone just open enrolled back into their previous home district. Even at the high school level....I'm pretty sure you can take a class at the other school if it isn't offered at your home school since the two schools are so close.
A couple years ago there was a track star at SV as a Jr early the next year he wasn't running so I ask about him. It turn out earlier that year he was either missing a lot of school or got in trouble so the school or something else so did a welfare check for the address they had for him and he didn't live there. Turns out he was supposed to go the NV so they made he transfer. Since he transferred w/o physically moving he had to sit out the 1st half of the season track season at the time. But he came back and won the 100, 200, and 400 for NV and NLL meet. Would have been great to be NV and have that dropped in your lap and would sucked to have him taken away as the SV coach.

So yes they are a very closed district.

The freshman class at rossford is very weak. You’d expect if they were recruiting that you’d have a dominant team at every level in the moneymaker sports.
Why? When you can "offer a better opportunity" to your neighbors' freshmen in two years, when you need them? After all, there are only 3,520 minutes in a season--and players worth recruiting, are expecting playing time on Day 1. It actually is not uncommon in these sort of programs to see weak subvarsity teams, in which only seniors get promoted, to sit on the end of the bench of a high-powered all-junior-and-senior transfer team.

I recall at the beginning of MVCD's (admittedly short) run of "interesting" enrollees, seeing a couple of double-letter-winning juniors relegated to jayvee.

Why? When you can "offer a better opportunity" to your neighbors' freshmen in two years, when you need them? After all, there are only 3,520 minutes in a season--and players worth recruiting, are expecting playing time on Day 1. It actually is not uncommon in these sort of programs to see weak subvarsity teams, in which only seniors get promoted, to sit on the end of the bench of a high-powered all-junior-and-senior transfer team.

I recall at the beginning of MVCD's (admittedly short) run of "interesting" enrollees, seeing a couple of double-letter-winning juniors relegated to jayvee.
After the current sophomore class graduates, Rossford will be mediocre in almost every sport.

That's not what's happening at Rossford. It's a situation where 3 friends who've coached together for years have kids who are around the same age. Add a couple of the kids' friends and a strong existing class at Rossford and you catch lightning in a bottle for a few years.

That's not what's happening at Rossford. It's a situation where 3 friends who've coached together for years have kids who are around the same age. Add a couple of the kids' friends and a strong existing class at Rossford and you catch lightning in a bottle for a few years.

Agreed...the primary issue at Rossford is what's happening with the other O-E students, the lack of any sort of quality control or consequences and how much that's affecting the school.

This orchestration of a championship team by these dads/coaches is not what high school sports is supposed to be about!!!!!

Not a problem. I don't know the specifics of this one. I was just answering with what I have seen with weak freshmen and JV teams, with an exceptionally strong varsity with transfers.

This orchestration of a championship team by these dads/coaches is not what high school sports is supposed to be about!!!!!
This is a high school super team in D3/D4 NBC, prep schools would be jealous. Add in the number of kids and the amount of years some of these kids were held back to make this happen, disgusting. Plus in 2 years and they all leave and the district is then a sports embarrassment.

This is a high school super team in D3/D4 NBC, prep schools would be jealous. Add in the number of kids and the amount of years some of these kids were held back to make this happen, disgusting. Plus in 2 years and they all leave and the district is then a sports embarrassment.
first nice name. second you sound like a bitter parent that there kids not getting enough playing time. Funny enough everyone but Rossford and Fostoria are D3.

Stricth has been saying that for the last 3-4 years.
.... you sound like a bitter parent that there kids not getting enough playing time. ...

So.. what was posted you don't contest? And/or you have some belief that their kids are sitting on the bench?

Is Rossford even good enough to be called a superteam? It was blown out in a district game last year. Did it add some ringers this season? I don't consider it a threat for a state appearance until I see it do something in the tournament.

To put some context with all the Rossford "recruiting" talk. I do not think any of the kids transferred to Rossford after their freshman year.

Vorst teaches/coaches at Rossford, but lives in Eastwood. Shame on him for making his son play for him.

Vorst and Morrison were college roommates/teammates at the University of Findlay. Morrison is an assistant coach, they live in Oregon (both boys in the rotation). Daughter went to Central, oldest son went to Kateri - so he was probably closer to going to Stritch/Central than Clay. No recruiting required.

Borovich (both boys in the rotation) family moved to Rossford. Pretty sure their mortgage is not paid for by the program. The Rossford community should be happy a young family moved into the city.

Mullet man is from Eastwood. His older brother played at Rossford via open enrollment when Rossford was not good. Strange I never heard anything about that since they were losing.

I am not sure about Gaston and Croom, but Croom is cousins with Holifields (Rossford name). He is playing football at Ashland next year. Heck, if they were such good recruiters why did their best players brother go to Toledo Christian.

I think that covers everyone who plays in their rotation. You would not have to recruit these kids/families to open enroll for free. Plus, if you are a good player and live in Rossford then you would break into the rotation.

As I have said before these are very good high school players, but not clear cut scholarship level guys outside of Vorst if he continues to develop as a 6'9" (soph) pretty skilled big man coming off a knee injury. Gaston and Morrison "might" have a shot in the right program (NAIA/D2).

Everyone has their reasons for picking a school, it probably says more about where they left than where they ended up.

Last edited:
To put some context with all the Rossford "recruiting" talk. I do not think any of the kids transferred to Rossford after their freshman year.

Vorst teaches/coaches at Rossford, but lives in Eastwood. Shame on him for making his son play for him.

Vorst and Morrison were college roommates/teammates at the University of Findlay. Morrison is an assistant coach, they live in Oregon (both boys in the rotation). Daughter went to Central, oldest son went to Kateri - so he was probably closer to going to Stritch/Central than Clay. No recruiting required.

Borovich (both boys in the rotation) family moved to Rossford. Pretty sure their mortgage is not paid for by the program. The Rossford community should be happy a young family moved into the city.

Mullet man is from Eastwood. His older brother played at Rossford via open enrollment when Rossford was not good. Strange I never heard anything about that since they were losing.

I am not sure about Gaston and Croom, but Croom is cousins with Holifields (Rossford name). He is playing football at Ashland next year. Heck, if they were such good recruiters why did their best players brother go to Toledo Christian.

I think that covers everyone who plays in their rotation. You would not have to recruit these kids/families to open enroll for free. Plus, if you are a good player and live in Rossford then you would break into the rotation.

As I have said before these are very good high school players, but not clear cut scholarship level guys outside of Vorst if he continues to develop as a 6'9" (soph) pretty skilled big man coming off a knee injury. Gaston and Morrison "might" have a shot in the right program (NAIA/D2).

Everyone has their reasons for picking a school, it probably says more about where they left than where they ended up.

We'll take another Vorst at UF anytime. :)

A couple years ago there was a track star at SV as a Jr early the next year he wasn't running so I ask about him. It turn out earlier that year he was either missing a lot of school or got in trouble so the school or something else so did a welfare check for the address they had for him and he didn't live there. Turns out he was supposed to go the NV so they made he transfer. Since he transferred w/o physically moving he had to sit out the 1st half of the season track season at the time. But he came back and won the 100, 200, and 400 for NV and NLL meet. Would have been great to be NV and have that dropped in your lap and would sucked to have him taken away as the SV coach.

So yes they are a very closed district.

The kid open enrolled to Southview and due to behavioral issues his open enrollment was revoked. That's when he was sent back to Northview. No welfare check was done or needed. The address issue? Lets just say that is a totally different story.

Great post. Sometimes the stars align, even if nudged. lol.

You wont see Rossford coaches hanging out at Mid-City football games or the hanging out at the local gyms on the AAU circuit.

LC would absolutely be fine with it.

PH would jump to the BVC. BVC in football would be LB, PH, VB, Elmwood, Arlington, McComb, PG and Leipsic (staying since Vanlue, Arcadia and CR are leaving in FB) just depends is NB stays or not.

So where does Riverdale end up?

Mixture of both, and all seem to be contingent on the acceptance of other bids...which is giving the current NLL an pit it sounds like. But the two schools I heard chirps from the last two days are VERY different types of schools, and only one publicly applied.

This is really interesting. I’m kind of fascinated to see how this all goes down.

This is really interesting. I’m kind of fascinated to see how this all goes down.

I'm pulling that back based on something I just heard being completely different something....I think there's some crosstalk here now and I'm not going to share anything for fear of it being misinformation.

I'm pulling that back based on something I just heard being completely different something....I think there's some crosstalk here now and I'm not going to share anything for fear of it being misinformation.

I'm not going to share anything because I don't know anything. (y)

This is just my own scenario, but what if the NWOAL took an NLL approach to the realignment and had a merger with the GMC? Assuming this would be enough to keep Delta, Evergreen, and Swanton, this would make a league with a total of 16 schools. Like the NLL’s plan, there would be a large school division and a small school division based upon enrollment every five years. Schedules would include two out-of-conference games and one cross-division game (final standings of the two divisions from the previous season would play against each other i.e. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3…) The two divisions would be as follows:

Antwerp - 169

Ayersville - 182

Delta - 271

Edgerton - 170

Hicksville - 231

Liberty Center - 262

Patrick Henry - 210

Wayne Trace - 217

Archbold - 292

Bryan - 488

Evergreen - 304

Fairview - 271

Paulding - 320

Swanton - 328

Tinora - 277

Wauseon - 418

(2018 enrollment numbers from OHSAA)

The only issue here is that it doesn't necessarily fix Delta, Evergreen, and Swanton's issues

were invitations sent out to schools to join a particular league?

I'm not going to share anything because I don't know anything. (y)

Or I was told by two people at schools who are clearly part of the discussion of expansion on the outside the same thing, and a third at a school inside the conference a different thing...which leads me to believe the NLL is circling the wagons and not sharing a thing until they get their decisions and sharing any other information publicly could blow some things up and I don't want to harm my friend and former colleague who is sharing information with me. I'd be happy to PM so the caveat is clear, but I'm not putting it out here.