Dayton Area Basketball

He said Trice “had a few guys come in and it took off”.

My point was that it took off in year 1. Without any guys that “came in”. More credit to Trice as a coach than anything.

“Read more closely”.
I was only addressing obe point you misconstrued. Yes Trice was a very good coach. Coached his own sons into very good players for sure. Decent recruiter too.

Centerville changes playing style with a 19 point lead in the 2nd half go to a play not to lose game plan and gets beat at the buzzer by Miamisburg.

Elks should of won going away but over coaching costs them the game. Big win for Miamisburg.

Centerville changes playing style with a 19 point lead in the 2nd half go to a play not to lose game plan and gets beat at the buzzer by Miamisburg.

Elks should of won going away but over coaching costs them the game. Big win for Miamisburg.
So you were at the game and in the locker room? Agree, it was a large lead and big comeback for Miamisburg, but c'mon Vamp. I thought it looked like some missed FTs down the stretch by Cville and some great shots and play by Mburg

So you were at the game and in the locker room? Agree, it was a large lead and big comeback for Miamisburg, but c'mon Vamp. I thought it looked like some missed FTs down the stretch by Cville and some great shots and play by Mburg

No, I watched it live....

Centerville dominated Miamisburg... got a big lead and then stopped the aggressiveness and just took time off the clock. Cupps was just sitting in the chair not doing much even when Miamisburg cut the lead to 12. They got within 10 after the third. I was expecting Centerville to start pressing again that led to the big lead but that did not really happen. Burg made some big shots and it wasn't until they got within 6 that Cupps actually stood up and starting working the officials ..... Burg continued to hit shots and out hustling the ELKS and actually took a 2 point lead. Centerville then pressed again scoring 6 straight and taking a 4 point lead. Burg would score and foul the ELKS, the player missed both and with seconds left Burg drove down dished it out and the kid drilled a 3 at the buzzer.....

I've seen Miamisburg several times this year. They are a really good team but not on Centerville's level. Cupps is a great coach and there is no excuse for Centerville to lose a 19 point lead in the 2nd half.

I see this happen when teams go to a not to lose mentality instead of continuing what got them the big lead to begin with. Well, the good thing for the ELKS is they are right back at it tonight.

No, I watched it live....

Centerville dominated Miamisburg... got a big lead and then stopped the aggressiveness and just took time off the clock. Cupps was just sitting in the chair not doing much even when Miamisburg cut the lead to 12. They got within 10 after the third. I was expecting Centerville to start pressing again that led to the big lead but that did not really happen. Burg made some big shots and it wasn't until they got within 6 that Cupps actually stood up and starting working the officials ..... Burg continued to hit shots and out hustling the ELKS and actually took a 2 point lead. Centerville then pressed again scoring 6 straight and taking a 4 point lead. Burg would score and foul the ELKS, the player missed both and with seconds left Burg drove down dished it out and the kid drilled a 3 at the buzzer.....

I've seen Miamisburg several times this year. They are a really good team but not on Centerville's level. Cupps is a great coach and there is no excuse for Centerville to lose a 19 point lead in the 2nd half.

I see this happen when teams go to a not to lose mentality instead of continuing what got them the big lead to begin with. Well, the good thing for the ELKS is they are right back at it tonight.
Burg definitely came back and the Cville D was suspect by letting a lot of drives get all the way to the rim. But I still think it's hard to make a call on the coaching because they worked the ball around - they always do that. Missing the FTs definitely hurt. And now a kid from Mburg has a huge high school highlight.

Centerville never let up tonight keeping the full court press going for all 4 qtrs and beating Northmont by over 60 putting 106 points on the board. I think they learned a lesson from the previous night. Maybe Cupps held off the press in the 2nd half against Miamisburg to rest players for back to back games.... ???? I dunno.... but it was a mistake.

Centerville is definitely the top team in the league..... who is the 2nd best is yet to be known. Miamisburg definitely makes a claim but I still want to see Wayne/Miamisburg play to determine that.

Centerville never let up tonight keeping the full court press going for all 4 qtrs and beating Northmont by over 60 putting 106 points on the board. I think they learned a lesson from the previous night. Maybe Cupps held off the press in the 2nd half against Miamisburg to rest players for back to back games.... ???? I dunno.... but it was a mistake.

Centerville is definitely the top team in the league..... who is the 2nd best is yet to be known. Miamisburg definitely makes a claim but I still want to see Wayne/Miamisburg play to determine that.
He would never rest players and lose a game. You play the one in front of you. Certainly wouldn't rest for Northmont it appears. They rested everybody in this game.

I agree that Centerville is the best GWOC team, but I don't see the Elks past the sweet 16 this year. Elks are too dependent on the 3 point shot and don't have a dominating inside game. If a team has guards to handle the press and can defend the 3 point line, the Elks are more beatable this year than last year.

Last edited:
Burg definitely came back and the Cville D was suspect by letting a lot of drives get all the way to the rim. But I still think it's hard to make a call on the coaching because they worked the ball around - they always do that. Missing the FTs definitely hurt. And now a kid from Mburg has a huge high school highlight.
Was Cupps running the point? I am not blaming him for losing all 19 points, I am just curious. People have bad bad games or halves.

I agree the Centerville is the best GWOC team, but I don't see the Elks past the sweet 16 this year. Elks are too dependent on the 3 point shot and don't have a dominating inside game. If a team has guards to handle the press and can defend the 3 point line, the Elks are more beatable this year than last year.
Most teams that have good guards and can defend the 3 will do well. Agree about lack of size.

Was Cupps running the point? I am not blaming him for losing all 19 points, I am just curious. People have bad bad games or halves.
No they just didn't play as strong of D as expected and missed some key FTs at the end. And a buzzer beating 3. It happens and I'm sure Cupps will use it as a learning experience. His teams seem to grow better over the season and sometimes you need a little fertilizer. Can't be all sunshine and watering. lol

No they just didn't play as strong of D as expected and missed some key FTs at the end. And a buzzer beating 3. It happens and I'm sure Cupps will use it as a learning experience. His teams seem to grow better over the season and sometimes you need a little fertilizer. Can't be all sunshine and watering. lol
True. Thanks.

Pretty solid coaching when you can change your style from one year to the next as drastically as Centerville has.

Cincyhoops....good post. You actually almost got HardCorps to agree with you...which is close to impossible if it entails giving Cupps credit for anything.?

Pretty solid coaching when you can change your style from one year to the next as drastically as Centerville has.
Word is Cupps spent a considerable amount of time with Rockhold to get a grasp of the system. Once he lost the big kid he knew he had to do something different to get through Cincinnati. Without great size the Moe Mountain got a lot taller. Had to do something different. Speed em up! We'll see how committed he is to this system. In Trotwood it's who they are. Not just something they do... Can he get that over in Centerville....We'll see....

Cincyhoops....good post. You actually almost got HardCorps to agree with you...which is close to impossible if it entails giving Cupps credit for anything.?
I have given credit to Cupps 1 & 2. Very good season so far. It is too bad that the GWOC is so bad. They will need all of the competition that they can get if they want to go through Elder and Moeller. Right now it seems as if CVille can compete with anyone in the GMC. I wish CVille and Wayne the best. We need more great Tournament games.

I have given credit to Cupps 1 & 2. Very good season so far. It is too bad that the GWOC is so bad. They will need all of the competition that they can get if they want to go through Elder and Moeller. Right now it seems as if CVille can compete with anyone in the GMC. I wish CVille and Wayne the best. We need more great Tournament games.

LaSalle
@ Moeller
Pick Central
ASVSM
Trotwood
@ Cleve St Eds
Wayne twice

Pretty good start as far as schedule in the COVID era.

Moe is going to be tough in tourney.....as always. Kremer is such a good recruiter.

LaSalle
@ Moeller
Pick Central
ASVSM
Trotwood
@ Cleve St Eds
Wayne twice

Pretty good start as far as schedule in the COVID era.

Moe is going to be tough in tourney.....as always. Kremer is such a good recruiter.
Damn good schedule. One of the best public school schedules for sure. That is how championship teams schedule.

Apparently Kremer is a recruiting prodigy. He knows what to do with them when he gets them too.

Damn good schedule. One of the best public school schedules for sure. That is how championship teams schedule.

Apparently Kremer is a recruiting prodigy. He knows what to do with them when he gets them too.
Centerville v Pick Central tonight. This might not be as good of a game as originally thought. At this point, PC is not playing up to their potential. Late start after two weeks off and a few key injuries is setting them back. They will be playing mostly Sophomores tonight but still should be fun to watch.

Centerville v Pick Central tonight. This might not be as good of a game as originally thought. At this point, PC is not playing up to their potential. Late start after two weeks off and a few key injuries is setting them back. They will be playing mostly Sophomores tonight but still should be fun to watch.
Thanks. It is a game that I would definitely watch if I was allowed in the gym.
How is the big guy that went to IU doing?

Thanks. It is a game that I would definitely watch if I was allowed in the gym.
How is the big guy that went to IU doing?
Jerome Hunter is from Pickerington North and is a RS Soph at Indiana. He had an injury his Freshman season.
Sterling Manley is from Pickeringon Central. He is a 6’11 Junior at North Carolina. seems to be doing ok. I Ibi Watson from PC went to Michigan then transferred to UD and is tearing it up. Jeremiah Francis went to North Carolina then transferred to New Mexico.

Jerome Hunter is from Pickerington North and is a RS Soph at Indiana. He had an injury his Freshman season.
Sterling Manley is from Pickeringon Central. He is a 6’11 Junior at North Carolina. seems to be doing ok. I Ibi Watson from PC went to Michigan then transferred to UD and is tearing it up. Jeremiah Francis went to North Carolina then transferred to New Mexico.
Wow. Thanks. When an area has that kind talent coming through (and it is not just the Pickeringtons) you have to be leery of what the sophomores bring to the table, if you are the opposition. They have the coaching as well. Enjoy if you have the opportunity.

Wayne is very good. Feels like they are being slept on in this thread.

They are top in the GWOC good but too inconsistent at this point right now for me to put them as the top team in the GWOC. They only won 1 qtr against Fairmont, grant it it was a 22-4 whooping but they only won the game by 12. They did the same thing with Beavercreek.... get up by 30 in the first half and then only win by a dozen or so. They looked pretty good against Fairfield winning by 30+..... They have Centerville on Friday and they will need to be more consistent to get a win.....

Saw Trotwood and DPS got started this weekend. Rams put up 102...Yikes. Did they reload? Anybody got a recap of the game or a preview of the team? Covid-19 got me information-less!

Saw Trotwood and DPS got started this weekend. Rams put up 102...Yikes. Did they reload? Anybody got a recap of the game or a preview of the team? Covid-19 got me information-less!
I would bet that they reloaded. They have established a culture in their football and basketball programs where players work hard from youth leagues on up and they fear no one. Fun to watch.