2020 St. Ignatius Football

Despite all of the criticism ( some of it by me) and vitriol toward Nick Restifo, he needs to be thanked for his many years of coaching and his development of many excellent quarterbacks. He deserves that.

No doubt. If this post is correct, I hope the school rolls out the red carpet honoring Nick for his contribution to 11 state and 3 national titles. The man has given nearly 40 years of service to our Alma Mater and been part of a great chapter in her history.

Question, I saw a congressman from Ohio by the name of Anthony Gonzalez on Fox News the other day. Is this the same AG that played WR for St. I's years ago? Thanks He was sporting a Brian Hoyer haircut. :)

Question, I saw a congressman from Ohio by the name of Anthony Gonzalez on Fox News the other day. Is this the same AG that played WR for St. I's years ago? Thanks He was sporting a Brian Hoyer haircut. :)
In a regional championship against Massillon held at the Rubber Bowl before 35,000 fans, I recall Gonzalez catching a 70 yard TD bomb thrown by Hoyer, or maybe it was Nate Szep.

If true, any thoughts on who is likely to take over playcalling duties?

Would Mark Ruddy ('90) move up from being HC, OC and QB coach for the freshmen team this past season?

Here's a speculative wild card - what about AZwildcat's favorite "flyin Brian" Hoyer ('04) if he elects to retire from the NFL after this season? He's 35 and I believe he and his family reside in the western 'burbs.

Would Mark Ruddy ('90) move up from being HC, OC and QB coach for the freshmen team this past season?

Here's a speculative wild card - what about AZwildcat's favorite "flyin Brian" Hoyer ('04) if he elects to retire from the NFL after this season? He's 35 and I believe he and his family reside in the western 'burbs.
I could have sworn i heard the announcers say Hoyer and his wife bought a home in the Boston area- and that they planned on living there after football.

Not a fan of Ruddy or his being the OC.

I believe Catmandoo was Hoyers biggest fan.

Thanks for that, Tom. Brought back some great memories. One of my favorite Ignatius players was on the screen, Jonathan Gannon. Gannon, I believe, was on state chanpionship teams in three different sports -- Footblll, basketball,and track.

Thanks for that, Tom. Brought back some great memories. One of my favorite Ignatius players was on the screen, Jonathan Gannon. Gannon, I believe, was on state chanpionship teams in three different sports -- Footblll, basketball,and track.

He was one of mine, too. Here is what he is doing now:

I attended the Ignatius vs. Massillon regular season game in 2001. I will never forget watching Coach Shepas walk through the Ignatius warm up on his way back to the locker room. I think the Ignatius offense is still taking it out on that Massillon defense.

I attended the Ignatius vs. Massillon regular season game in 2001. I will never forget watching Coach Shepas walk through the Ignatius warm up on his way back to the locker room. I think the Ignatius offense is still taking it out on that Massillon defense.
Crazy. That game was the Saturday after 9/11.

It was good to see football after such an awful day/week.

In Trent's senior year he was teamed with Juan Porter to form one of the more formidable lines in Ignatius history. I bring this up because I have a cousin who had a son at Padua. He played the line on both sides of the ball. He weighed 175# at most. He descibed to me what it was like playing defense against Porter, all 300 lbs. of him. Pancake city. After Ignatius scored he had to go on offense at right tackle. He found himself face to face with Trent Z. He said that on the first play Trent just threw him aside like a rag doll and sacked the QB. He told me it was the longest 48 minutes of his young life.

Congratulations to Liam Eichenberg '15 (Notre Dame) and Darian Kinnard '17 (Kentucky) for their All-America award honors for this season

1609276907439.png

1609276987931.png