Best 10-season run?

I have done extensive research on many local teams over the years and I know that Big Red was undefeated and unscored upon in 1930, an outstanding accomplishment for any team. I certainly mean no disrespect but I would bet a substantial amount that the score of the 1930 Big Red-Chaney game was 7-0 Big Red. It was played in Girard and featured goal line stands by both teams and a 90+yard punt by Puck Burgwin before Steubenville scored in the 4th quarter to win 7-0.

How many shutout seasons have their been like this?

On the other hand, has a team ever went an entire season winless and scoreless?

And what is a team's longest streak for NOT being shutout?

Just a quick look through OHSAA they had this. I'm not sure how up to date it is recently, but this is the list they've compiled.

Unbeaten & Unscored Upon Seasons
Cory-Rawson - Unbeaten (9-0) and unscored upon (338-0) in 1968
Millersport - Unbeaten (10-0) and unscored upon (278-0) in 1965
Cincinnati Wyoming - Unbeaten (10-0) and unscored upon (446-0) in 1962
Columbus Rosary - Unbeaten (8-0) and unscored upon (355-0) in 1958
Cory-Rawson - Unbeaten (8-0) and unscored upon (284-0) in 1952
Cincinnati Wyoming – Unbeaten (8-0) and unscored upon (182-0) in 1941
Maumee - Unbeaten (7-0) and unscored upon (119-0) in 1939
Minerva - Unbeaten (10-0) and unscored upon (332-0) in 1932
Steubenville - Unbeaten (9-0) and unscored upon (277-0) in 1930
Bradford - Unbeaten (9-0) and unscored upon (276-0) in 1926
Fostoria - Unbeaten (8-0) and unscored upon (596-0) in 1912

Wyoming currently on one of their best runs:

2011-2020
101-19
8 playoff appearances (3 #1 seeds)
7 Conference Titles
3 State Semi appearances
1 State Title
Currently on a 47 game regular season win streak (last loss in week 9 of the 2015 season)

I only know of this one because while researching the old City Series games from way back they played a lot of games against Akron City Series teams so I researched them also and I made note of the fact that way back in 1936 Akron North was 0-9 and got shutout in all 9 games. Youngstown North was 0-9 and scored 6 points in 1958 and Ursuline was 0-9 scoring 9 points in the Irish's first year in the City Series. That's the closest the Youngstown City Series teams came to going winless & scoreless. East only scored 6 points one season but they only played 7 games, 5 losses, 2 ties.

I want to say that about 20 years ago Toledo Libbey was 0-9 or 0-10 and scoreless but they may have scored in one game. I would bet, not a lot, that is has happened a few times anyway as I seem to remember, years ago, a team giving up something like 600 points in a season without scoring any but I am not positive of that and can't think of the team.

I remember seeing a national list of consecutive games scoring and at the top was Concord De La Salle at 295 I think it was and it was still active. That was during that 151 game winning streak they had.

I also saw a list that said a Tennessee team had posted 52 consecutive shutouts in the 1940s. That's hard to believe.

Last edited:
I only know of this one because while researching the old City Series games from way back they played a lot of games against Akron City Series teams so I researched them also and I made note of the fact that way back in 1936 Akron North was 0-9 and got shutout in all 9 games. Youngstown North was 0-9 and scored 6 points in 1958 and Ursuline was 0-9 scoring 9 points in the Irish's first year in the City Series. That's the closest the Youngstown City Series teams came to going winless & scoreless. East only scored 6 points one season but they only played 7 games, 5 losses, 2 ties.

I want to say that about 20 years ago Toledo Libbey was 0-9 or 0-10 and scoreless but they may have scored in one game. I would bet, not a lot, that is has happened a few times anyway as I seem to remember, years ago, a team giving up something like 600 points in a season without scoring any but I am not positive of that and can't think of the team.

I remember seeing a national list of consecutive games scoring and at the top was Concord De La Salle at 295 I think it was and it was still active. That was during that 151 game winning streak they had.

I also saw a list that said a Tennessee team had posted 52 consecutive shutouts in the 1940s. That's hard to believe.

Libbey was close. Scored 6 one game.

Libbey was close. Scored 6 one game.

Thank you for the info. I thought it was close. Our local paper, the Vindicator, which closed last year and was taken over by another paper that does not provide even close to the HS football coverage the old Vindy used to IMO, always ran these miscellaneous blurbs from around the state after the season. The Vindy would list things like teams that went from winless to undefeated in one season, or vice versa, great individual performances, etc. things one probably would not see otherwise. They had something about Libbey.

I do know of a few teams that went winless and scoreless in short seasons. Many times when a school first started playing football they would only play a handful of games in a season, especially back in the late 1890s and early 1900s, if for no other reason than there were not an abundance of HS teams around then. They would also play club teams.

As an example in Cleveland Benedictine's first season they played 3 games, they were all HS teams though, lost them all and did not score. Salem one year was 0-6 and did not score but they played one team three times and at least one club team. There are some other examples but I don't think those can be counted.

I think I’ll have the rest of you guys beat:

Vanlue Wildcats (2010-2019)
10-90 record
Three winless seasons
Decade best record of 2-8 in 2010, 2016 and 2019
All I can say, at least they are consistent!
I was getting ready to post my Franklin Furnace Green Bobcats. But you got me beat

I was getting ready to post my Franklin Furnace Green Bobcats. But you got me beat

I know your Bobcats have been in the playoffs before. They played Shadyside.

And it's still one of the best names in Ohio--Franklin Furnace Green.

I see two trips to the playoffs, and one win in each trip. That's 1989 and 1990.

I know your Bobcats have been in the playoffs before. They played Shadyside.

And it's still one of the best names in Ohio--Franklin Furnace Green.

I see two trips to the playoffs, and one win in each trip. That's 1989 and 1990.
No disrespect, but I though that was a fake name!

When they have that many small towns in a state, they have to come up with original names.

I do think the state agencies should have some type of policy requiring unique names of schools. Ohio has a couple Greens, two Edisons, two Hardings, three McKinleys, two Kennedys, and three Crestviews.

From 1956-1969 Wintersville HS scored in 128 consecutive games, ending in a shutout loss to Warren Western Reserve.

When they have that many small towns in a state, they have to come up with original names.

I do think the state agencies should have some type of policy requiring unique names of schools. Ohio has a couple Greens, two Edisons, two Hardings, three McKinleys, two Kennedys, and three Crestviews.

Three Edisons.

Three or 4 Springfields. Countless directional names. 2 Fairviews. 2 St. Francis DeSales. A bunch of Central Catholics. A few variations of Buckeye/Buckeye Local.

Does someone happen to know why Graham elected to retire early? Seems to me he could have had at least a handful more double-digit win seasons, and even some more titles, no?

JD's son Brian was the senior QB on that 1991 state championship team and he wanted to go out on top.

Oh, and State Farm knocked on his door with a whole bunch of $$$$ :)

You seem to be hinting at something here. If you are saying the difference is the size of school/student body, then we are in total agreement. If you are saying that the quality of football is better, then we are not.

To me, Iggy's accomplishments playing in D1 are significantly more impressive than Hoban (D3/2) or Mooney (D3/4) because they were playing against the largest opponents they could. That is the peer group you should compare them to. That said, as a small community school, MSML's accomplishments are far more impressive than Iggy.
By that standard, Mount Union’s accomplishments are far more impressive than Ohio State‘s or Alabama’s.

Yep, and I imagine that higher level of play is much easier to accomplish when you have many more players.
Yes, it does— and that is what those schools all have— doesn’t change the statement: winning at the big school division requires a higher level of play. And winning at Division II or III or IV or V (generally) requires a higher level of play than at Divsiion VI or VII— but not THAT many more players— so, it might be worthwhile for Marion Local or Coldwater to test themselves against those schools, sometime.

You have to consider the context of time. For example, Harding won a Title in 74. Ignatius was irrelevant.
Ig was not likely irrelevant— many people don’t realize how good Ig often was, back in the 60’s and 70’s— but before the playoffs, the naming of the top teams was NOT an unbiased (or even close to fair) process— with significant bias in favor of public teams like Massillon, McKinley, Upper Arlington, etc.— and in the 70’s, the early playoffs were SO limited in qualifiers (3 Divisions, with ONE team from each region— so 12 total playoff teams across the entire state) that Ig could have been the best team in the state— and no one might have KNOWN— because it was a matter of (scheduling) luck as much as skill to make the playoffs in those days— in SW Ohio, only Princeton or Moeller was going to make it— but both were threats to win the title most years— fortunately, that playoff qualification was decided on the field because they played each other every year— I’m not sure that was AT ALL the case in NE Ohio, back in the 70’s...I’m sure an Ig alum will correct me, if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Ig ever got to play Massillon, McKinley, Harding, Alliance, Western Reserve, etc., in those days...

True the 70s were not a great decade for Ignatius football.

The 60s had some good teams. The lower 80s and mid 80s, very average.
Ig alum Brian Dowling (AKA future Doonesbury caricature, Zonker) led Ig to some great seasons in the late 60’s, before going on to star for Yale (when Yale was the dominant team in an Ivy League that could still compete in big time Division I football). Brian Dowling was sort of Yale‘s corollary to ”FItzMagic” long before before Fitzpatrick came along— though it helped to be playing with a future NFL Hall of Famer and Super Bowl Champion (Calvin Hill) at Yale.

You would think that. But the DII title game between Toledo Catholic and Athens is etched in my mind. Not for the high octane offenses displayed by both teams, but for the almost total lack of defensive integrity or fundamentals. I believe I've seen better tackling technique in a grade school age girls basketball games than what these guys were throwing out there late in that title game.

I much more enjoy watching the fundamentally sound, disciplined, precision play of top MAC teams. I have heard on more than one occasion the commentators at state championship games state that some of Marion Locals schemes were things you normally only see in college ball.
DII is NOT ”the big school division”.

The ten-year runs from 1999 on are more impressive than some of the runs in the 1970's and 1980's. When you have more playoff games, there are more opportunities to lose. A championship in a field of 32 is more impressive than one in a field of four. There were lots of really good teams in the 1970's and 1980's that never made the playoffs.
This is emphatically true— and the corollary is also true— Ig’s 2001 Title team (amongst their best, in my opinion) NEVER even makes the playoffs, at any time before 8 teams per region made the playoffs— you simply could not pick up enough Harbin points with a 6-4 record— and when only one or two teams made the playoffs in each region, dozens and dozens of undefeated teams NEVER found out if they were good enough to win a state title.

Yes, it does— and that is what those schools all have— doesn’t change the statement: winning at the big school division requires a higher level of play. And winning at Division II or III or IV or V (generally) requires a higher level of play than at Divsiion VI or VII— but not THAT many more players— so, it might be worthwhile for Marion Local or Coldwater to test themselves against those schools, sometime.

Coldwater has won state in D4, D5, AND D6.

Marion Local has won it in D5, D6, AND D7.

Both routinely schedule bigger schools non league, including Coldwater playing D4 Kenton every year since 2000, scheduling D4 Clinton-Massie, D3 Bellefontaine, etc.

Marion Local 2 years ago played Watterson. They play D3 Wapakoneta next year. They've played and beat D3 Lima Shawnee in the past, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

D5 Versailles from their league has played and generally dominated D3 Celina. D7 Delphos St Johns has played and beat D3 Elida and D5 Lima Bath....even during years DSJ is 2-8.

Point is, they DO play up....and usually win those too. Does that mean they would have beaten Chardon for the D3 title? Probably not. I'd give them a fair shot against D4 champ Van Wert, seeing as how the WBL and MAC are pretty much the same geographic area and the MAC usually wins head to head.

Both routinely schedule bigger schools non league, including Coldwater playing D4 Kenton every year since 2000, scheduling D4 Clinton-Massie, D3 Bellefontaine, etc.

Marion Local 2 years ago played Watterson. They play D3 Wapakoneta next year. They've played and beat D3 Lima Shawnee in the past, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

D5 Versailles from their league has played and generally dominated D3 Celina. D7 Delphos St Johns has played and beat D3 Elida and D5 Lima Bath....even during years DSJ is 2-8.

Point is, they DO play up....and usually win those too. Does that mean they would have beaten Chardon for the D3 title? Probably not. I'd give them a fair shot against D4 champ Van Wert, seeing as how the WBL and MAC are pretty much the same geographic area and the MAC usually wins head to head.
All the more reason for them to test themselves in the (higher division) playoffs.

By that standard, Mount Union’s accomplishments are far more impressive than Ohio State‘s or Alabama’s.
It would be if those were in the same sport. Player movements in HS football & College football are not the same, but I think that you know that.

Using your transitive logic we could compliment Ohio State on their ability to manage talent better than an NFL team with salary cap issues.

DSJ also defeated Bellevue in 04 and 05 when Redmen was DIII

Stop... Coldwater is literally playing a D1 school next year what more do you want from us. This isnt Indiana. We dont need a success factor.
He somehow feels that the accomplishment of his school is diminished because of success of schools in other divisions. The jealousy is hilarious!