Time to address the elephant in the room as we head towards the finals.

lc5397

The COVID numbers are clearly heading in a significantly wrong direction at the moment. Regardless of what you individually think about COVID and the response to it, it's probably time to prepare for the scenario of no fans at the playoff games. If not this weekend, probably next. There's probably a chance next weeks finals don't happen as scheduled.

The COVID numbers are clearly heading in a significantly wrong direction at the moment. Regardless of what you individually think about COVID and the response to it, it's probably time to prepare for the scenario of no fans at the playoff games. If not this weekend, probably next. There's a probably a chance next weeks finals don't happen as scheduled.
Dictator to speak Wednesday to the state.

Expect some baaaaad news.

OHSAA buying 4 state title trophies per division and just award all those in the finals a title?

The COVID numbers are clearly heading in a significantly wrong direction at the moment. Regardless of what you individually think about COVID and the response to it, it's probably time to prepare for the scenario of no fans at the playoff games. If not this weekend, probably next. There's a probably a chance next weeks finals don't happen as scheduled.

I disagree, I think the Finals will happen. OHSAA needs to collect every dime that they can from Football Playoffs and State Finals. A participating school may need to drop out but other Divisions will go on.

I disagree, I think the Finals will happen. OHSAA needs to collect every dime that they can from Football Playoffs and State Finals. A participating school may need to drop out but other Divisions will go on.
I'm sure the OHSAA would go ahead with the games, but that's not what I'm saying.

Dewine himself has stated that “outbreaks” can not be traced to sporting events. He’s just going to wag his finger at people for parties and social gatherings.
I think this weeks games get played. If the current trajectory holds another week, I'm guessing next week gets postponed as part of a larger set of public health orders. This thing is going sideways pretty quickly.

I think this weeks games get played. If the current trajectory holds another week, I'm guessing next week gets postponed as part of a larger set of public health orders. This thing is going sideways pretty quickly.

Maybe, but Utah basically shutdown this week but carved exceptions for the high schools to finish out their playoffs and the Universities to still play.

At worst they play the state championships without fans but I think its reasonable to argue that 6 events with limited fans don't pose a significant risk.

Not sure why he would cancel anything school or sports related, minus a full shutdown. He has said multiple times in his press conferences that schools and sporting events don't seem to be the source of the spread. Hospitals and ICU's are not overwhelmed, trends are increasing, but they are still able to treat people and rotate the sick and recovering out of the hospital. Most schools who are going back to remote learning are doing so because of a lack of substitutes due to the long stints employees have to take off for exposure of positive testing, not because of outbreaks. Unfortunately, cases are rapidly increasing but the sky still isn't falling. If Dewine cancels football, with 11 days left in the season knowing what we know now vs. what we knew in March then simply stated he is an . As a side note, another economic shutdown a few weeks before Black Friday will do irreparable harm to the retail industry and will set our economy back with the massive loss of jobs in a way we have not yet seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The COVID numbers are clearly heading in a significantly wrong direction at the moment. Regardless of what you individually think about COVID and the response to it, it's probably time to prepare for the scenario of no fans at the playoff games. If not this weekend, probably next. There's probably a chance next weeks finals don't happen as scheduled.
Please stop. We have had this BS Covid, for the last 6 months. No fans have been able to go to games all year, anyway. Really don't get your point, besides trying to make a fear mongered topic. You watching too much CNN type garbage

Please stop. We have had this BS Covid, for the last 6 months. No fans have been able to go to games all year, anyway. Really don't get your point, besides trying to make a fear mongered topic. You watching too much CNN type garbage
The objective has been achieved (abundance of mail in votes to make it easier to fix the election) so I dont know what else the govt has to accomplish with this stuff.

Two things..
1.The state championships in football will be played the next two weeks. We haven't gotten this far for him to pull the plug, and i'm not sure you can trace a single outbreak of Covid due to any sporting event in ohio...especially outdoor events.
2. The only thing DeWine is going to do tonight is give everyone the Dad talk, and tell us all to be better, because realistically that all he can do. Every day that gets us further from March, people aren't going to stay home again. It was nice of us all to do it once, but its not going to happen again. There is no law saying we have to, so good luck trying to enforce it.

Two things..
1.The state championships in football will be played the next two weeks. We haven't gotten this far for him to pull the plug, and i'm not sure you can trace a single outbreak of Covid due to any sporting event in ohio...especially outdoor events.
2. The only thing DeWine is going to do tonight is give everyone the Dad talk, and tell us all to be better, because realistically that all he can do. Every day that gets us further from March, people aren't going to stay home again. It was nice of us all to do it once, but its not going to happen again. There is no law saying we have to, so good luck trying to enforce it.

I generally agree with this. But if the numbers move on the same trajectory they have been for the last month for another week or two, we're headed back to more restrictions/public health orders. I think all the games get played this week. Next week I'm not as certain of.

Reactions: 4GX
Just pointing out what should be obvious - there's a chance the games get postponed and/or played with no fans. I know you're a "COVID truther."

Just pointing out what should be obvious - there's a chance the games get postponed and/or played with no fans. I know you're a "COVID truther."
Games have been played under very few fans all year, so not much difference if there are none. I know you are a Covidtard

He skipped his normal presser to speak tomorrow night. I wonder if there's not more than just some "Dad talk" coming. He implied as much last Thursday.

He skipped his normal presser to speak tomorrow night. I wonder if there's not more than just some "Dad talk" coming. He implied as much last Thursday.
I'll believe it when I see it, he seems to have lost his nerve for doing anything other than asking "pretty please".

The rate of new cases in Ohio has skyrocketed recently - no doubt.

But the death rate hasn't gone up nearly as fast (at least not yet). Thus, the mortality rate continues to go down - and that's good news.

I surely hope the football games are all played and that the anticipated in-person attendance can happen.

The rate of new cases in Ohio has skyrocketed recently - no doubt.

But the death rate hasn't gone up nearly as fast (at least not yet). Thus, the mortality rate continues to go down - and that's good news.

I surely hope the football games are all played and that the anticipated in-person attendance can happen.
Agreed. The more immediate problem with be hospitalizations. The current rate of increase isn’t sustainable for more than another 2-3 weeks.

Not sure why he would cancel anything school or sports related, minus a full shutdown. He has said multiple times in his press conferences that schools and sporting events don't seem to be the source of the spread. Hospitals and ICU's are not overwhelmed, trends are increasing, but they are still able to treat people and rotate the sick and recovering out of the hospital. Most schools who are going back to remote learning are doing so because of a lack of substitutes due to the long stints employees have to take off for exposure of positive testing, not because of outbreaks. Unfortunately, cases are rapidly increasing but the sky still isn't falling. If Dewine cancels football, with 11 days left in the season knowing what we know now vs. what we knew in March then simply stated he is an . As a side note, another economic shutdown a few weeks before Black Friday will do irreparable harm to the retail industry and will set our economy back with the massive loss of jobs in a way we have not yet seen.
Nailed it

I'm sure the OHSAA would go ahead with the games, but that's not what I'm saying.

Dictator DeWine has said repeatedly the last few weeks that he leaving School decisions up to each district. Your saying School Boards will Cancel the rest of Football?

There’s a chance Dictator DeWine is actually a Democrat also. Chance for a lot of things. Please, if your scared just stay home in “your bubble” like Dictator DeWine has asked.

Dictator DeWine has said repeatedly the last few weeks that he leaving School decisions up to each district. Your saying School Boards will Cancel the rest of Football?
We’re on the verge of another near total shutdown. Probably not this week. There’s a good chance next week.

I generally agree with this. But if the numbers move on the same trajectory they have been for the last month for another week or two, we're headed back to more restrictions/public health orders. I think all the games get played this week. Next week I'm not as certain of.
They will not stay on the same trajectory. It’s just like the second increase in July that lasted for two weeks and scared people then the numbers went down. Same thing again happened in late august/September. People will get scared by the big numbers, DeWine will give a verbal punishment to the terrible people gathering at weddings, the numbers will go down and DeWine thinks he accomplished something. Wash, rinse, repeat.