DV State Semifinal: Otsego (10-0) vs. Kirtland (9-0)

Otsego or Kirtland?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kirtland4580

OHSAA has made it official that these two will face off.

Kirtland is slotted at the top of the bracket, so one would assume they wear the home uniforms & have the home bleachers.

Otsego is coming off a 31-21 win in which they defeated Eastwood for a second time this season.

Kirtland is coming off a 49-35 win in which they were tested by a tough South Range team.

Otsego has solid wins over Eastwood and Ottawa-Glandorf, both of whom have qualified for states in years past.

Kirtland has a couple of marquee wins including over DIV state semifinalist Lake Catholic & DI teams Shaker Heights & Solon.

Both teams are unbeaten & both run different types of offenses. While Kirtland runs a stack-I, double wing set, Otsego runs mostly a spread, but they can venture into a wing set or stack-I as well.

Both deserve to be unbeaten & both deserve to be here. Good luck to both sides, and prayers that both teams avoid COVID. Any ideas where this game will be played?

Norwalk or Elyria?
It appears social media is saying it will be at Byers Field. 40 minute drive for Kirtland and a 1 hour 45 minute drive for Otsego.

OHSAA already said they’re not doing neutral locations based on travel distance, so this isn’t as shocking.

Guess I’m kind of interested that they chose this massive venue for the game.

It appears social media is saying it will be at Byers Field. 40 minute drive for Kirtland and a 1 hour 45 minute drive for Otsego.

OHSAA already said they’re not doing neutral locations based on travel distance, so this isn’t as shocking.

same. i was under the impression that they were trying to avoid the massive venues. Norwalk was a legit halfway point and Elyria is a pretty easy drive for both. Byers sure is nice but so much for a neutral site

Is Otsego’s running back out for this game? He left game early in 4th quarter against Eastwood and didn’t return. I think he’s rushed for almost a 1000 yards in the playoffs alone.

Just looked it up. Leiter has rushed for 886 yards in the playoffs.
247, 186, 247, and 206. Insane! Hopefully he can play this week.

Just looked it up. Leiter has rushed for 886 yards in the playoffs.
247, 186, 247, and 206. Insane! Hopefully he can play this week.
Wow! Sounds like they have a stellar back to lean on. Hopefully he plays this week.

Sure seems like Otsego handily beat everyone in their way except for Eastwood (2 close games) & Ottawa-Glandorf (second half comeback). Looking forward to seeing how talented the Knights are on Saturday.

We played Oak Harbor last year in the semis and they had a lot of talent on the field. Wondering if someone from NWO could possibly compare the two teams for me?

Last edited:
Last years Oak Harbor would beat this years Otsego, in my opinion.

While the Knights are talented, great running back and super solid quarterback, I think Kirtland wins by 17+. Otsego will see the best offense and defense they’ve faced all year Saturday.

Last years Oak Harbor would beat this years Otsego, in my opinion.

While the Knights are talented, great running back and super solid quarterback, I think Kirtland wins by 17+. Otsego will see the best offense and defense they’ve faced all year Saturday.
Thanks for the insight Hback. I would say this year’s Kirtland team is fairly even with last year’s. Of course, they’re both different in their own ways, but skill-wise they’re about the same if not a little bit better.
I’m sure Otsego will be up to the challenge come Saturday. Kirtland’s getting every team’s best shot.

Nice! Might have to try and go to this. Parma not too far for me. Looking forward to Kirtlands next challenge!

Hasn’t been a lot of chatter on here. Does someone know if Otsego is more run or pass based? I’ve heard their running back has had a great playoff run, but someone told me Otsego has a 6’6 QB. Is that true?

Hasn’t been a lot of chatter on here. Does someone know if Otsego is more run or pass based? I’ve heard their running back has had a great playoff run, but someone told me Otsego has a 6’6 QB. Is that true?
I thought I read somewhere that they run a spread and throw and run from it.

They do and the QB is a 6’6 lefty plus a Junior. Head coach’s kid too.
VERY interesting! I expect him to be a good decision-maker if his dad is the coach.

Considering they beat Eastwood last week & Marion Pleasant earlier in the playoffs (both of whom have very run-tailored offenses), I don’t think they will be shell shocked by Kirtland’s run-heavy offense at all.

nobody is will beat Kirtland this year. South Range was the only chance.
I appreciate the optimism, and South Range was undoubtedly the toughest team they’ve played so far this season, but I wouldn’t take my eyes off an Otsego team playing with nothing to lose & an Ironton team whose hunger to get back to the title game & rematch with Kirtland can’t be described enough.
Certainly takes nothing away from South Range or a VERY talented Roger Bacon squad who is also left in the tournament, but the way I see it, things are far from over.

nobody is will beat Kirtland this year. South Range was the only chance.
Don't tell the folks in Ironton that. They changed out the QB who went to YSU for a sophomore with offers to Arkansas (among others) and still have Carrico. That has them convinced they're in the driver's seat. Not sure if I agree with that, but that's just the thought. (personally, pulling for a rematch)

VERY interesting! I expect him to be a good decision-maker if his dad is the coach.

Considering they beat Eastwood last week & Marion Pleasant earlier in the playoffs (both of whom have very run-tailored offenses), I don’t think they will be shell shocked by Kirtland’s run-heavy offense at all.
K-land can do it other ways as well. 222 yards is amazing for 5 of 7 passing. They like the run of course, but they do have a different gear when need be

How many will be allowed in to see this game at Byers in Parma?
Looking at the stadium capacity, I think the 1,500 cap will be put into effect. Byers holds more than 10K, so I believe they would resort to the 1,500 person cap that will also be in effect next week.

Good Luck to the Knights. Should be an excellent game with two high-powered offenses. Any status of Otsego's running back?

Otsego right now:
1605193862331.png