Region 1 Final: Mentor (8-1) vs Medina (6-3)

This game along with 3 others will be broadcast live on Spectrum1, based on what part of the state one lives in.

Live streaming is another issue. It is supposed to be, but ... like last weekend, I have not been able to log in to replays of past games today, even though I am a Spectrum subscriber. Today, the webpage now says "best viewed on Chrome desktop with cleared cache". Currently it does not work with Apple Safari nor Microsoft Edge

I bit the bullet and paid the $10 last week (Ignatius-Medina) and watched it fine through my phone from the Spectrum Boxcast (at least that's what is shows on the email receipt I'm looking at). I don't recall any issues at all. I'm assuming that option is available again?

Though I'll try downloading the app first and see if I can get a 30-day trial. Good looking out on that WGHfan!!

I bit the bullet and paid the $10 last week (Ignatius-Medina) and watched it fine through my phone from the Spectrum Boxcast (at least that's what is shows on the email receipt I'm looking at). I don't recall any issues at all. I'm assuming that option is available again?

Though I'll try downloading the app first and see if I can get a 30-day trial. Good looking out on that WGHfan!!
Do you have the Spectrum internet? I believe you need an account to log into first.

Tomorrow will be my 11th/12th time (depending on how you count 2014) going to the regional final for Mentor since 2002. It has been a fantastic run, win or lose tomorrow. Either way, this season marks the end of an era even though it is also technically the beginning of a new one. First year coach Matt Gray has been dealing with unique challenges, but still has the team in a regional final.

Mentor is 6-5 (or 6-4 depending on how you count the final 8 game against Hudson in 2014) in these regional final games so far. Medina is going to be a challenge. They are on a roll. Mentor has struggled to find consistency and rhythm. Out of those 12 teams that have made the regional finals, this current group is very close to the bottom...if not at the bottom. But still, I think if they put it altogether tomorrow with a balanced offense and a bend, but rarely break kind of defense - Mentor will be in position to win.

If the offense struggles to have sustained drives and the defense can't figure out how to pressure Allar, this game will be incredibly difficult to win. Sounds like Vernon *might* play tomorrow. Let's see how that goes.
Confirmed... Vernon is playing! ?

Greg Perdina forces a.fumble on the 4th play of the game and Mentor scores on a Kipp to Evan Harper pass. 7-0 (edited to correct player causing fumble. Vernon came out of game one play earlier)

Last edited:
Brenan Vernon really showing missing several weeks. Not able to run all out chasing Allar play after play. Mentor rotating their pass rushers to try to keep them fresh.

Almost 100% chance Medina does an onside kick to begin the second half. Mentor better be prepared.

Great start. So many points, and really there could have been more.

What a complete whooping. Mentor finally put together a complete game and played about as well as they can. Not turning over the ball was huge. If they can play the same way next week, they will have a decent shot at beating PC. Mentor double teamed Hensley almost every play and Allar was often scrambling away from the Mentor pass rush. Vernon appeared exhausted early on and Coach Gray tried to get him breathers by constantly rotating in fresh players. Mentor was able to get good pressure with a lot of 3-man pressure and occasionally bring a LB on a blitz, allowing a lot of 7 or 8 in coverage.

Absolutely fantastic offensive game. Couldn't ask for more. If they play like that with even average defense thet have a shot. PC and X are definitely the favorites though

Defense needs a lot of improvement this week. Did force a fumble and lucked out on Allar dropping the ball the second time around. Still a ton of long conversions given up and a ton of missed tackles

Man if we had just an average defense all these years we'd be very tough to beat. Funk is awful . Need a change of leadership. 3rd and 23 and rushing 3 is just absolutely awful

Absolutely fantastic offensive game. Couldn't ask for more. If they play like that with even average defense thet have a shot. PC and X are definitely the favorites though

Defense needs a lot of improvement this week. Did force a fumble and lucked out on Allar dropping the ball the second time around. Still a ton of long conversions given up and a ton of missed tackles

Man if we had just an average defense all these years we'd be very tough to beat. Funk is awful . Need a change of leadership. 3rd and 23 and rushing 3 is just absolutely awful
They held Medina to 14 points...you'll never be satisfied

If you watched that first half and were happy with the defense , I don't know what to tell you. They'll need a way better effort to beat pc from that side of the ball.

Just being objective. You defend funk all the time and can't see how bad he sucks.

That second td drive was pitiful coaching. Two fumbles changed the game. 2nd half they were down so much they couldn't be dual threat on offense which helped

If you listen to Coach Gray post game, he explains that you can't blitz Allar because he drops back so deep and he will burn you consistently. Gray also said they learned that because of that deep drop back, the way to pressure Allar was to bull rush Medina instead of trying to rush around wide. The bull rush forced Allar to constantly be on the run and wore down Medina.

They held Medina to 14 in spite of the coaching. Never blitzing? Giving up 3rd and 23? Multiple 4th down conversions. The scheme and strategy for this game on defense was not good. The two turnovers were the difference. But yes, just looking at the end result of 14 points is impressive.

I thought the Mentor defense was very good tonight. Excellent play from the secondary. I thought Mentor should have brought more pressure early on, but obviously the game plan worked. I thought there could / should have been about 5 more holding calls on Medina as well.

They held Medina to 14 in spite of the coaching. Never blitzing? Giving up 3rd and 23? Multiple 4th down conversions. The scheme and strategy for this game on defense was not good. The two turnovers were the difference. But yes, just looking at the end result of 14 points is impressive.
This right here. He's an apologist. Funk is a liability. They win despite him with great offense. And yes sometimes the d talent rises up. But the coaching in the first half was atrocious. You don't need to blitz all out but you can rush 4 at least on 3rd and 23 when hs kids have to run long routes to convert

If you listen to Coach Gray post game, he explains that you can't blitz Allar because he drops back so deep and he will burn you consistently. Gray also said they learned that because of that deep drop back, the way to pressure Allar was to bull rush Medina instead of trying to rush around wide. The bull rush forced Allar to constantly be on the run and wore down Medina.

Imagine how much more successful that rush would’ve been if Mentor sent more than three defenders? Allar has all day to throw. I strongly disagree that not blitzing is the way to stop a non-mobile QB

Imagine how much more successful that rush would’ve been if Mentor sent more than three defenders? Allar has all day to throw. I strongly disagree that not blitzing is the way to stop a non-mobile QB

A delayed linebacker or corner blitz would have blown their minds.

That was total domination. Mentor had the perfect defensive game plan and executed it (the two fumbles just delayed the inevitable because Medina was not going to stop Mentor's offense).

I know some Mentor people are mad about them only rushing three, but dropping 8 was the right move. Allar is very good in seeing where the open spots are and probably would have been a lot more successful if Mentor would have brought 4 or 5.

I say that because Mentor did an unbelievable job of taking away anything underneath and forcing long throws where they had help over the top. How many times did he have a clean drop and time to look but then was finally flushed because absolutely nobody was open and Mentor's front three is good enough where they were still able to get pressure and flush Allar after his first, second and even third reads weren't open?? That was basically the entire first half. True Allar did make some throws in key spots but thats because he is a P5 QB.

I can nitpick some things, and the two brutal fumbles being the obvious because they basically made Medina one dimensional again when they actually were having decent success running. But like I said, wouldn't have mattered because Mentor did whatever it wanted offensively (and I know Medina isn't a great defense but they had not been carved like that all year).

Anyway, big win for Mentor. I know the talk is going to be "it was only Medina". But it was more than that. They dominated a good team tonight (let's be honest and mediocre teams don't luck into b2b wins over Eds and Iggy). So once again, Mentor showed they are the class of R1 and if they play like they did tonight, no reason why they can't win two more.

Hats off to Mentor!