PAC 2020

I think you are referring to 1992 when 9-0 Coventry lost to 9-0 Manchester in the final game of the season and missed the playoffs. Coventry played the game without James Harrison who was suspended after being ejected the week before.
PAC & Coventry related story - AtoZ podcast (Manchester’s Zac Jackson & Andre Knott) once told story where one of Dre’s buddies was sweet on a girl but they only hung out at school & games. The he got a ride to her house and one of the guys said “Why did we drive you to James Harrison’s house?”. He freaked out because 1) he did NOT want to date JHs sister and run the risk of doing something that angered him and 2) he did NOT want to be the guy who broke up with JHs sister and upset her. I laughed so hard when I first heard it I honestly don’t know how it turned out.

Last edited:
Question for you PAC experts. How many players does your school have playing college ball? I'll start. Manchester has three. Nick Beans at NDC, Conference OL of the year. AJ Johnson at BW. Starting RB. Ethan Wright at UC. Probably will be redshirted.
I know Tucker from CVCA is at UC and Laney from Fairless is at BW.

Question for old time Manchester fans- How does this season compare to the one season France stepped away as head coach when he became Principal?

cc, ah yes, Elijah is from Manchester.

NO, NO, NO. You can not claim Elijah Payne as a Panther. Please post his statistics for the games he played at Manchester. I can post his for CVCA. ;)
The fact that he left Manchester because of what was happening and NO ONE did anything to stop it is shameful.

NO, NO, NO. You can not claim Elijah Payne as a Panther. Please post his statistics for the games he played at Manchester. I can post his for CVCA. ;)
The fact that he left Manchester because of what was happening and NO ONE did anything to stop it is shameful.
123, I didn't say he played for Manchester. I said he was from Manchester. Played youth sports there. I'm really not privy to all the happenings and I don't want to be. I did hear some things and, if true, neither side should be proud of themselves.

Congrats to CVCA & Loudonville. Those boys battle hard tonight and did the league proud. (Still think Loudonville would have won if they didn't have to leave home at 10am for a 7pm game).

NW got pushed. HARD. But they pulled it out. Going to need more than 13 next week, but better to have a chance to improve from a bad game than to have it end your season.

It wasn't a bad game - it was a good game against a physical and fast opponent. A banged up NW squad dug deep and capitalized on some Shaw errors when it counted. Just because the final score wasn't in the 50s it was still a good game. Numerous big stops defensively, hard fought runs and tackles. It was actually very entertaining and refreshing.

It wasn't a bad game - it was a good game against a physical and fast opponent. A banged up NW squad dug deep and capitalized on some Shaw errors when it counted. Just because the final score wasn't in the 50s it was still a good game. Numerous big stops defensively, hard fought runs and tackles. It was actually very entertaining and refreshing.
Poor word choice on my part. Not a bad game, a bad performance. You can tweak the wording but this was a 1 seed playing at home against an 8 seed who turned the ball over 3 times. And the 1 seed scored 13 points. That's a bad/ poor/ weak/ ____ performance. Call it whatever you want, but the other #1 seeds in D4 won their home games by a combined 103 points yesterday (138-35). NW won by 3.

And I'm sorry but I don't believe you can use "banged up NW squad" to describe the #1 seed who had a bye and rested half their starters the week before that. Heck, they had running clocks in 3/7 games before last night. #1 seeds don't get sympathy. They win or they lose. In this case they won, but they have a lot of work to do.

NW's most likely path is Mentor Lake Catholic, Poland/Ursuline, Bellevue/Shelby, Clinton-Massie/St Clairsville. Something tells me NW hasn't seen "physical and fast" yet.

Poor word choice on my part. Not a bad game, a bad performance. You can tweak the wording but this was a 1 seed playing at home against an 8 seed who turned the ball over 3 times. And the 1 seed scored 13 points. That's a bad/ poor/ weak/ ____ performance. Call it whatever you want, but the other #1 seeds in D4 won their home games by a combined 103 points yesterday (138-35). NW won by 3.

And I'm sorry but I don't believe you can use "banged up NW squad" to describe the #1 seed who had a bye and rested half their starters the week before that. Heck, they had running clocks in 3/7 games before last night. #1 seeds don't get sympathy. They win or they lose. In this case they won, but they have a lot of work to do.

NW's most likely path is Mentor Lake Catholic, Poland/Ursuline, Bellevue/Shelby, Clinton-Massie/St Clairsville. Something tells me NW hasn't seen "physical and fast" yet.
As good as Shaw's defense looked, their offense was equally as bad and horribly predictable. Add to that over 100 yards of penalties. They had some nice athletes, but no coaching and no discipline based on what I saw. They followed the Fairless formula on D against NW - blitz every play - and held NW to 13. If not for a couple of blown coverages on broken plays and all the penalties, it could have easily gone the other way. NW will have to play a much better game against Lake Catholic.

wow, I thought there would be more players at the next level.
Just a couple I know of that haven't been mentioned:
Orrville has QB Domer & DE Armstrong at Marietta, WR Hall Kansas JUCO
Tuslaw has RB Marthey at Ashland and FB Weitzel at West Virginia (walk-on)
Fairless has QB Laney at BW
Triway has TE Hissong at Wooster

I'm sure there's several more, but with the death of smalltown newspapers no one really tracks this much anymore.

Next question - out of the PAC class of 2021, who's going to play at next level? With Parks' issues will be first year without a no doubt D1 player, but there were several kids throughout league who could easily see getting a roster spot in D3 and Triway's Davis looks to have his pick of several D2 offers.

Just a couple I know of that haven't been mentioned:
Orrville has QB Domer & DE Armstrong at Marietta, WR Hall Kansas JUCO
Tuslaw has RB Marthey at Ashland and FB Weitzel at West Virginia (walk-on)
Fairless has QB Laney at BW
Triway has TE Hissong at Wooster

I'm sure there's several more, but with the death of smalltown newspapers no one really tracks this much anymore.

Next question - out of the PAC class of 2021, who's going to play at next level? With Parks' issues will be first year without a no doubt D1 player, but there were several kids throughout league who could easily see getting a roster spot in D3 and Triway's Davis looks to have his pick of several D2 offers.
rg, can't think of anyone from Manchester. The older Soles kid is good enough for D3, but from what I understand he has no interest.

I attended the game and I can tell you Shaw was definitely Fast and Physical. You might as well call them East Glenville. Couple kids are D1. They had a great defense and were disciplined and well coached. Can’t say the same about their offense though.

NW is definitely banged up. I don’t think the Manchester tavern is a reliable source on Northwest football.

Poor word choice on my part. Not a bad game, a bad performance. You can tweak the wording but this was a 1 seed playing at home against an 8 seed who turned the ball over 3 times. And the 1 seed scored 13 points. That's a bad/ poor/ weak/ ____ performance. Call it whatever you want, but the other #1 seeds in D4 won their home games by a combined 103 points yesterday (138-35). NW won by 3.And I'm sorry but I don't believe you can use "banged up NW squad" to describe the #1 seed who had a bye and rested half their starters the week before that. Heck, they had running clocks in 3/7 games before last night. #1 seeds don't get sympathy. They win or they lose. In this case they won, but they have a lot of work to do. NW's most likely path is Mentor Lake Catholic, Poland/Ursuline, Bellevue/Shelby, Clinton-Massie/St Clairsville. Something tells me NW hasn't seen "physical and fast" yet.

Did NW beat your team this year and you're still mad?

Sorry if you don't think NW had some injuries. Just stating a fact. Most teams still playing are banged up.

NW needs no sympathy - they prevailed in a tough game against adversity. And the path forward gets tougher every week. Its called the playoffs.

You weren't at the game and I was, but you can believe whatever you want.

Great job Indians. Get healthy and good luck moving forward.

I attended the game and I can tell you Shaw was definitely Fast and Physical. You might as well call them East Glenville. Couple kids are D1. They had a great defense and were disciplined and well coached. Can’t say the same about their offense though.

NW is definitely banged up. I don’t think the Manchester tavern is a reliable source on Northwest football.
You had me until you said "disciplined". I've never seen a playoff team commit as many dumb penalties as Shaw. Amazing athletes. Fantastic defense. No discipline. No offensive game plan.

I think their defense was disciplined enough, not their offense though. They were big and fast and beat you up. Having top level talent from Glenville helps a lot, 9 guys in total. You can't count their 8 seed as being very relevant considering they play mostly D2 & D3 schools and their only two losses were against D2 schools that had a 500 season or above. Plus they smacked/shutout a Beaver Local team that was supposed to be pretty good this year and supposedly had a great offense, 35-0.

Going into this, knowing the injuries we have, I was doubtful that we could win. However, our boys fought until the end and got the W.

I do agree though that we have to be better to beat MLC, they are a great team. Hopefully we can heal up some this week and play our best on Saturday.

No matter what, I am very proud of this team this year. Go Indians!

Last edited:
You had me until you said "disciplined". I've never seen a playoff team commit as many dumb penalties as Shaw. Amazing athletes. Fantastic defense. No discipline. No offensive game plan.
I agree with your statement. Their offense was a joke. But what I was getting at was did you see their kids fight? Did you see their kids play dirty? I saw a lot of their players help NW players up after tackles. They may have committed some dumb penalties but they were disciplined enough after the whistle was blown not to fight back. They weren’t your average “city” ball team. Their coaching staff obviously has discipline within their team. They just have an x and o issue with their offense.

I agree with your statement. Their offense was a joke. But what I was getting at was did you see their kids fight? Did you see their kids play dirty? I saw a lot of their players help NW players up after tackles. They may have committed some dumb penalties but they were disciplined enough after the whistle was blown not to fight back. They weren’t your average “city” ball team. Their coaching staff obviously has discipline within their team. They just have an x and o issue with their offense.
Agreed. They were well mannered. No fights. Decent kids. Ted Ginn influence was apparent. Just seemed like they didnt know their sets well and had happy feet with the offsides and false starts

Did NW beat your team this year and you're still mad?
Sorry if you don't think NW had some injuries. Just stating a fact. Most teams still playing are banged up.
NW needs no sympathy - they prevailed in a tough game against adversity. And the path forward gets tougher every week. Its called the playoffs.
You weren't at the game and I was, but you can believe whatever you want.
You can't count their 8 seed as being very relevant considering they play mostly D2 & D3 schools and their only two losses were against D2 schools that had a 500 season or above.
my2 - Not mad at all. I'm just a PAC fan, not an alum of any of them. Was surprised/ disappointed that the league champ played below par. Believe I said they'd have to improve from a bad game and you questioned me. As I said before, the other 3 D4 #1 seeds won their games by an average score of 46-12 so you're kidding yourself if you don't think every other team in the region saw the same thing I did - the #1 seed is vulnerable.

As far as your point that "most teams still playing are banged up", I couldn't agree more. That's why it's not an excuse. Unless QB Mick was out is there anyone else on the team indispensable enough that the offense could only score 1 TD? Asking honestly, don't know.

NW01 - Joe Eitel had Shaw as the 7 seed in the region on Harbins so the coaches did have them 1 spot lower than where they would have been in a normal year.

Bottom line, rough game, but NW got the W & has the chance to improve from here. The challenge is they're going to face a team that's just a physical (Bevington - "they hit hard") but is much more dynamic on offense. Should be fun.

Going into this, knowing the injuries we have (some of them big), I was doubtful that we could win. However, our boys fought until the end and got the W.

I do agree though that we have to be better to beat MLC, they are a great team. Hopefully we can heal up some this week and play our best on Saturday.

No matter what, I am very proud of this team this year. Go Indians!
Just don't call them "banged up" lol I guess a #1 seed doesn't have any injuries.

Best of luck to the Indians moving forward.

Raylan, I think you’ve got to give Northwest a pass on this one. Look up Terry Pluto’s 10/9 story on Shaw. When I was peaking ahead last week at Shaw, I became convinced they had the best defense in the region. Eight starters from Glenville. The defensive end, Rod Williams is going to go D1 (BC interest). The Shaw turnaround story is the feel good story of high school football this year. I thought they might actually beat Northwest, but tip of the cap to the Indians for pulling out the W. Championship teams find a way.

This week will tell you more about Northwest. MLC is a mirror of CVCA on offense. But better on D. The game should be close again.

I see 38-35. Just not sure who wins.

Apparently for some its all about the seeding number. Ones have to win by 30 and eights can't be very good ?‍♂️

Raylan, I think you’ve got to give Northwest a pass on this one. Look up Terry Pluto’s 10/9 story on Shaw. When I was peaking ahead last week at Shaw, I became convinced they had the best defense in the region. Eight starters from Glenville. The defensive end, Rod Williams is going to go D1 (BC interest). The Shaw turnaround story is the feel good story of high school football this year. I thought they might actually beat Northwest, but tip of the cap to the Indians for pulling out the W. Championship teams find a way.

This week will tell you more about Northwest. MLC is a mirror of CVCA on offense. But better on D. The game should be close again.

I see 38-35. Just not sure who wins.
Read that article. It was great (not surprising, everything Terry writes is fantastic) partially because of the football part, but mostly because of the story that those kids got a chance to play and how both coaches worked together to make it happen.

Think that this NW team is one of the most talented the league has seen in years. They don't have a no doubt D1 player like the Manchester, CVCA & Orrville teams have the last few years, but they have a really good QB (too many turnovers, but he's Farve-ish like that in that he makes amazing plays and occasionally just gives the ball to the other team) solid at all levels on both sides of the ball and a fantastic scheme. To me that's even more impressive than leaning on a supremely talented individual (ie - Wright left, Parks right). They're easily the best team in the PAC & have a chance to do something special this year.

Every champ (outside of Kirtland & the MAC schools) usually has a "whoa, that was close" game on their way to title that locks them in. Few years back Kenston beat West Holmes by 14 but it was a 7pt game most of the way. One other team got within 20 & the rest were running clocks on the way to the crown. I hope that happens for NW, but it's a little more difficult to imagine with how much they struggled with a one dimensional team at home in the first round that had 3 turnovers.

Truly did not mean to offend anyone. Probably should have just said something like "rough first game congrats on the win".

Apparently for some its all about the seeding number. Ones have to win by 30 and eights can't be very good ?‍♂️
my2 - I'm checking out for awhile so if you need to snark someone you can head back to the Massillon pages you frequent. Thanks for the conversation today.

Should be a good game next week. I watched the CVCA/MLC game and MLC could not stop Bevington the first half running the ball. That's why CVCA had three possessions and three scores. MLC made the half time adjustments and CVCA didn't score again. With NW quarterback the team's leading rusher I would think MLC defensive scheme would be the same for NW. Stop the quarterback run and limit big pass plays. MLC offense the second half was a nice mix of quarterback runs and short passes. Does NW stream their games? I would assume with most Stark County teams eliminated for Saturday WHBC will call the game again.