Elder Football 2020

USA Today Midwest Rankings
MIDWEST
(Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, West Virginia, Wisconsin)

1. Center Grove (Greenwood, Ind.)
Record: 4-0; Last result: Ben Davis, 35-12.

2. De Smet Jesuit (St. Louis)
Record: 0-0; Last result: N/A.

3. Pickerington Central (Pickerington, Ohio)
Record: 3-0; Last result: def. Central Crossing, 47-0.

4. Cathedral (Indianapolis)
Record: 4-0; Last result: def. Bishop Chatard, 39-20.

5. Archbishop Hoban (Akron, Ohio)
Record: 3-0; Last result: def. Benedictine, 31-24.

6. Brownsburg (Ind.)
Record: 4-0; Last result: def. Avon, 47-29.

7. Raymore-Peculiar (Mo.)
Record: 3-0; Last result: def. Liberty North, 35-32.

8. Southeast Polk (Pleasant Hill, Iowa)
Record: 3-0; Last result: def. Jefferson, 69-13.

9. St. Xavier (Cincinnati)
Record: 2-1; Last result: def. Elder, 38-24.

10. Mentor (Ohio)
Record: 2-1; Last result: lost to St. Edward, 28-24.

GCL All Stars from Elder

Co-Player of the Year Drew Ramsey
Offensive Skill Player of the Year Scott Nieman

First Team Offense
WR Scott Nieman
WR Drew Ramsey

First Team Defense
DL Gaillin Mitchell

Second Team Offense
OL Drew Beckenhaupt
QB Ben Hambleton
RB Cooper Johnson
OL Joe Folzenlogen
OL Jack Tucker

Second Team Defense
LB Nicholas Paff
LB Andrew Spinney
DB Austin Wandstrat

The biggest snub to me is David Larkins not even 2nd team. I understand he did not have the receiving stats, but he should have been 2nd team minimum for his blocking and role on the offense.
The next snub that sticks out to me is Drew Beckenhaupt sitting on the 2nd team. Lasalle has 3 junior offensive lineman on the 1st team. Beckenhaupt should have been First team.

Here is the complete all star team. http://gcls.gclsports.com/statsPage.aspx?satc=113

I think JT Miller had a solid year at CB for Elder and could have been 2nd team. Bartley Thomas would have been minimum 2nd team if he didn't have to miss 3 games. I think if Stemler was used full time at middle linebacker he would have been 1st team, but he had to move a little bit playing on the defensive line to help stop the run. He won't get the recognition he could have gotten otherwise.

Flowers should be 1st or 2nd team next year if he stays on defense. I think James and Singler will be 1st/2nd team also next year.

You can tell me I’m wrong but I’ve always been under the understanding that these votes are negotiated between coaches, you vote for my guy and I’ll vote for yours, looks like a lot of capital was spent on getting 2 players identified as player of the year

You can tell me I’m wrong but I’ve always been under the understanding that these votes are negotiated between coaches, you vote for my guy and I’ll vote for yours, looks like a lot of capital was spent on getting 2 players identified as player of the year

This looks pretty true. It’s the buddy system basically. Larkins was great at his role on the Team but really didn’t have any kind of numbers. How anyone makes 1st or 2nd Team in any League without numbers is beyond me. No numbers should equal Honorable Mention at best. LaSalle has 3 O Lineman on League Team but probably plays the easiest Schedule of the Schools in the League. Strange to say the least.

Wonder if he'll continue to bulk up and become a pass-catching TE? Unless he's faster than I realize.

Stemler (ball st), Beckenhaupt (Toledo) Nieman (Miami walk on) Larkins (App st) all signed D1 congratulations.

Elder has an impressive list of guys currently playing D1 for a school its size. The players and coaching staff should be commended.

Off the top of my head

Krammer Notre Dame
Ramsey Northwestern
Royer osu
James osu
Kandra Louisville
Keyes Minnesota
Bittner Tennessee

Not sure if Trishler (UC) or Bono (Boston College) are still playing?? Am I missing anyone currently playing D1?

Stemler (ball st), Beckenhaupt (Toledo) Nieman (Miami walk on) Larkins (App st) all signed D1 congratulations.

Elder has an impressive list of guys currently playing D1 for a school its size. The players and coaching staff should be commended.

Off the top of my head

Krammer Notre Dame
Ramsey Northwestern
Royer osu
James osu
Kandra Louisville
Keyes Minnesota
Bittner Tennessee

Not sure if Trishler (UC) or Bono (Boston College) are still playing?? Am I missing anyone currently playing D1?
Portis is also playing at Ohio

Congrats to Nieman of course, but I don't get why he can't just get a good D1 scholarship. He has really good hands, good size and athleticism, and his speed seems fine. I'm sure he had scholarship offers and maybe he really just wants to go to Miami, but I feel like he should be getting scholarship offers at AT LEAST the MAC level and probably above.

Congrats to Nieman of course, but I don't get why he can't just get a good D1 scholarship. He has really good hands, good size and athleticism, and his speed seems fine. I'm sure he had scholarship offers and maybe he really just wants to go to Miami, but I feel like he should be getting scholarship offers at AT LEAST the MAC level and probably above.

Maybe just recognition? Do you have to be invited to most of these camps where kids get noticed? I agree he has the size - did he put up any speed numbers at these camps?

The class of 2021 got screwed by Covid shutdowns. Last March the NCAA shut down all visits and camps and to my knowledge has not reopened them yet. That meant seniors like Nieman that didn't really play junior year got screwed in recruiting. Larkins, Beckenhaupt and Stemler all played Junior year and experienced at least some camps and visits.

I think Trishler was offered a Walk on with UC and decided to just focus on school. Same with Luebbe, he was offered a PWO by Miami and maybe a couple small FCS offers but chose school, I believe also at UC.