DVII Region 25 Final: Lucas @ Warren JFK

yep, its all about context- when ya put 60 plus points on a team, younger kids and non-starters are being rotated in, underclassmen, JV's ,etc. To make an assumption simply upon that is moronic. (To note, JFK's championship run a few years ago, Aquinas put 27 on 'em in week 10. Was that a "bad look""? They had the DVII trophy in hand 5 games later.)
JFK fans were stating they had JV kids in, ie let off the gas, and that is why they scored so many points. I say BS. Lowellville got 26 of their 33 in the first half.
Jaws31, no response to this BS excuse?

Lucas scored 70 points on Lowellville in 2015. That means SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but in 1987 Ursuline beat Cincinnati Moeller, Struthers beat Ursuline, Poland beat Struthers, Springfield Local beat Poland and Lowellville beat Springfield Local. Obviously Lowellville was better than Moeller that year. :)

Personally I'm hoping for a JFK vs the winner of Leetonia vs. McDonald regional final. I am not predicting that, just hoping for it.

Good luck to all the remaining teams in R25.

I'm done talking about Lowellville. We beat them, soundly. Grasp at any straw you want, thats the facts. The region is going to play itself out and in the end I think how many points Lowellville scored isn't going to be a concern.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight, but after reading the last few pages wondered what all the fuss was about. See that JFK score 62 and gave up 33. Unless there were 3 pick-6s at the end of the game, that’s a thrashing every way you look at it. Team scores 9 TDs, that’s a minimum of 10 kickoffs. Assuming a few TOs or punts and team has 13-15 possessions. If they losing team scores on 5 of those so be it. These are D7 kids who mostly play both ways. Once they realize that they can’t be stopped on O you can understand if the other teams makes a play here or there.

That's what happens when athletes are uninspired. Mentally not dialed in and their opponents treat it like the Super Bowl. Rolling the K helmet onto the field isn't going to get it done any longer. JFK has played lackluster and still continues to win. There will come a point when turning it on and off wont get it done.

That's what happens when athletes are uninspired. Mentally not dialed in and their opponents treat it like the Super Bowl. Rolling the K helmet onto the field isn't going to get it done any longer. JFK has played lackluster and still continues to win. There will come a point when turning it on and off wont get it done.
That's why I appreciate your posts. You are rational. When someone spits an uncomfortable fact, you do not call that person names, you call it what it is. Good luck this week. Hope both teams get through injury free.

He got his wish. Losing Friday he now avoids the Cubs.
Here's his quote in the local paper the following day.
Despite a chance to schedule up to four more regular-season games, Stecher said "no mas."
"We are done. I think it is nuts for teams to even play or consider playing when you have a small-division school and you have kids looking at basketball and kids looking at wrestling," Stecher said. "To play extra games that are meaningless ... why risk getting kids hurt? It is the craziest thing I have ever heard. It's dumb."

And then 2 days later they have a game scheduled for 10/30 against Ashland Crestview.
Was hearing Monroeville refusing to play Crestview??
I've heard the same now too - that Monroeville was supposed to play their missing conference game against Ashland Crestview (they were in a 3 way tie for conference champs with NSP). But then Monroeville coach collected his team's equipment and backed out of the AC game. It will be interesting to see if the conference does anything like awarding AC the win and adjusting the conference share down to 2 (AC and NSP) or awarding AC the title alone.

I've heard the same now too - that Monroeville was supposed to play their missing conference game against Ashland Crestview (they were in a 3 way tie for conference champs with NSP). But then Monroeville coach collected his team's equipment and backed out of the AC game. It will be interesting to see if the conference does anything like awarding AC the win and adjusting the conference share down to 2 (AC and NSP) or awarding AC the title alone.
I don't understand the reasoning to awarding AC a lone title, they got beat 48-10 by NSP...no dog in the fight...I'm guessing NSP is kicking itself for losing a 20-19 game to 4-2 WR...

Does anyone think that of the 8 teams left, that someone doesn’t belong? I think these are the best teams left.

Does anyone think that of the 8 teams left, that someone doesn’t belong? I think these are the best teams left.
I agree. You could argue Monroeville was better than Independence, but they peed down their leg in the 4th quarte. Give the Blue Devils credit, they forced the turnovers and made the comeback.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reasoning to awarding AC a lone title, they got beat 48-10 by NSP...no dog in the fight...I'm guessing NSP is kicking itself for losing a 20-19 game to 4-2 WR...
You are right. I was only thinking of it from the 'most wins' angle. If NSP plays Mapleton later and wins that, then the conference could determine AC and NSP share the title. I doubt any of that will happen though.

Yeah but in 1987 Ursuline beat Cincinnati Moeller, Struthers beat Ursuline, Poland beat Struthers, Springfield Local beat Poland and Lowellville beat Springfield Local. Obviously Lowellville was better than Moeller that year. :)

Personally I'm hoping for a JFK vs the winner of Leetonia vs. McDonald regional final. I am not predicting that, just hoping for it.

Good luck to all the remaining teams in R25.

LOL .. 1987 was the ultimate year for the old ICL.
McDonald
Lowellville
South Range
Springfield Local
Mineral Ridge
Jackson Milton
All these teams I believe won all OOC games. All these team were good that year.
Only ones down were columbiana and western reserve.

Lowellville had a heck of a team that year.. would they have beat Moeller? Uh No...

True...but NSP lost their starting QB the week before and then the backup QB was knocked out during the first half of the WR game.

north central,if st.paul loses to jfk friday,will st.paul make up the game with mapleton? as far as i am concerned.i didnt hear anything about covid at monroeville,so the no contest rule cannot be used,if the coach gave up without asking the kids if they wanted to play then he should be suspended or let go and have a acting coach and have them play crestview.not only he hurt his kids he hurt crestview kids,he dont care anything except himself. so i hope firelands conference awards monroeville a forfeit loss to crestview.or could firelands conference rule tri champs even though monroeville doesent deserve it or could the firelands conference follows the wbl by declaring no champions this year.

north central,if st.paul loses to jfk friday,will st.paul make up the game with mapleton? as far as i am concerned.i didnt hear anything about covid at monroeville,so the no contest rule cannot be used,if the coach gave up without asking the kids if they wanted to play then he should be suspended or let go and have a acting coach and have them play crestview.not only he hurt his kids he hurt crestview kids,he dont care anything except himself. so i hope firelands conference awards monroeville a forfeit loss to crestview.or could firelands conference rule tri champs even though monroeville doesent deserve it or could the firelands conference follows the wbl by declaring no champions this year.
In my opinion, if NSP loses tonight, then they should play Mapleton next week as was agreed upon by the conference. Monroeville should be out of a share of the title at this point, no matter who plays or not after this. And the Monroeville coach's comments: "We are done. I think it is nuts for teams to even play or consider playing when you have a small-division school and you have kids looking at basketball and kids looking at wrestling," Stecher said. "To play extra games that are meaningless ... why risk getting kids hurt? It is the craziest thing I have ever heard. It's dumb." ?? If there was ever a year when the final games ARE meaningful it's THIS year. And that comment would mean no teams should play any games if they aren't playing for a state title. That's a pathetic lesson to teach kids.

If St. Paul wins they will not play Mapleton. If they don't win, they will play Mapleton. As I understand it, out of the 4 conference games scheduled, only the Crestview Monroeville game will not be played. Of course, the St. Paul Mapleton game is still up in the air.

67 degrees with a 40% chance of rain at kick-off tonight in Lucas, Ohio. It's looking like the thunderstorms are going to hold off, but it may be a mudder at Bob Wine Field. Here is to hoping all 8 teams get through their games healthy. GO CUBS.

Weather may be a big issue tonight if the rain moves through during the games. Hopefully this isn’t a repeat of week 1 this year

You are right. I was only thinking of it from the 'most wins' angle. If NSP plays Mapleton later and wins that, then the conference could determine AC and NSP share the title. I doubt any of that will happen though.
Agree, would find it hard to believe that Mapleton would play NSP, I'm guessing they were celebrating when they didn't have them on the schedule..LOL

In my opinion, if NSP loses tonight, then they should play Mapleton next week as was agreed upon by the conference. Monroeville should be out of a share of the title at this point, no matter who plays or not after this. And the Monroeville coach's comments: "We are done. I think it is nuts for teams to even play or consider playing when you have a small-division school and you have kids looking at basketball and kids looking at wrestling," Stecher said. "To play extra games that are meaningless ... why risk getting kids hurt? It is the craziest thing I have ever heard. It's dumb." ?? If there was ever a year when the final games ARE meaningful it's THIS year. And that comment would mean no teams should play any games if they aren't playing for a state title. That's a pathetic lesson to teach kids.

Where are these comments from...just out of curiosity? With this kind of attitude I'm not surprised that Monroeville FB has little success. Every extra bit of practice you can get now can only help you for next year. If you have kids that really want to move on to bb and wrestling, then excuse them and start plugging in their replacements.

Where are these comments from...just out of curiosity? With this kind of attitude I'm not surprised that Monroeville FB has little success. Every extra bit of practice you can get now can only help you for next year. If you have kids that really want to move on to bb and wrestling, then excuse them and start plugging in their replacements.
The coach's comments were quotes from him in the Norwalk Reflector article: