What do we think about games after a playoff loss?

I don’t think you’d be able to play 3 more, only 1. Pretty sure you can’t go over 10 games unless still in the playoffs
I think 10 games are the limit unless you are in the playoffs and programs are shooting themselves in the foot if they don't get in as many games as possible. Let the young guys play, let the seniors play, get the practice in. Make it the beginning of next season. Maybe generate some revenue for the athletic department. Make positive memories.

There are teams that have already scheduled their 11th game. Lisbon David Anderson, region 25, has this already scheduled

There are teams that have already scheduled their 11th game. Lisbon David Anderson, region 25, has this already scheduled

Yeah I made the original comment going off what I remembered but I went and re-read the guidelines after and was wrong, it allows playing up to 10 regular season games not including playoffs

I think it's good. Coventry and Marlington have already scheduled to play each other this week (Oct 16) after both lost last week in round 1 of the playoffs. (Div 3 region 9).

Let them play, especially the seniors. It’s their last go. Work the younger players in as you can. Probably better matchups if teams are out of the playoffs early and make for better games for the kids.

Teams have 12 weeks to play 10 games plus however many playoff games.

So yes, a team could play 6 games, playoffs weeks 7, 8, & 9, and then play 3 more games weeks 10-12.
If you're knocked out of the playoffs before you play 10 games, you can only play 10 games. If you played 6 regular-season games, and played 3 playoff games and lost in the 3rd playoff game, you get to play one more game. Not 3.

If you're knocked out of the playoffs before you play 10 games, you can only play 10 games. If you played 6 regular-season games, and played 3 playoff games and lost in the 3rd playoff game, you get to play one more game. Not 3.
I just love how it is too dangerous to have a 10 game schedule and then the playoffs, but not too dangerous for every team to play ten games, and a handful of teams a chance to play more than the max of 15 games of past years.....and travel more due to the longer road trips of said games.....

No. Its 3.

• Schools eliminated from the OHSAA playoffs or that choose not to enter the OHSAA playoffs have the option to schedule additional regular season contests through Saturday, November 14 (maximum of 10 regular season contests permitted).

I just love how it is too dangerous to have a 10 game schedule and then the playoffs, but not too dangerous for every team to play ten games, and a handful of teams a chance to play more than the max of 15 games of past years.....and travel more due to the longer road trips of said games.....
Is not really the "danger" that was the issue, just that the ohsaa wanted the games finished by end of November and if you let in everyone, it's 7 weekends of playoffs. Basically forced to have a 6 regular season before the playoffs start and then just let everyone go wild with scheduling extra games after Week 6.

But the playoffs had to start then under those two guiding principles.

As I said in another thread, I am sure that Bellaire and Martins Ferry will figure out some way to continue their rivalry this year. It is traditionally the last game of the year.

No. Its 3.

• Schools eliminated from the OHSAA playoffs or that choose not to enter the OHSAA playoffs have the option to schedule additional regular season contests through Saturday, November 14 (maximum of 10 regular season contests permitted).

I was confidently incorrect.

As a dad of an underclassmen, a coach/former coach, and a football guy I am in favor of it. Reps are what I want for my son and my team. I dont care where the reps come from. Live reps make him better. Freshman, JV, Varsity.....I just want to see him get reps.

My final thought on this.....kids have, assuming no playoffs, 40 football games through high school. Fewer if they spend time on Frosh or JV teams like most do. Most aren't playing beyond high school. This is it.

Why are we suddenly trying to treat ANY of those 40 games as meaningless. You have one shot at high school ball. Enjoy it. If you're an adult, let the kids enjoy it. It's not about you or about championships. Sure, championships are the goal, but it's the frienships, lessons, and memories they'll value in 20 years. Let them play, period.

You're a non-D1 playoff team, and you played your (max) six regular season games through Oct 3. You didn't get a bye in round 1 and you've played three playoff games and lost in week 9 (Oct 23-24). You can still get in three more games before the deadline. Anybody still available within your competition level and/or proximity?

So taking a different perspective from the OP, after how many playoff wins do you just call it a season?
My son's team is in Rd 3 and will likely lose. Coach said after Rd 3 there will not be additional games scheduled if they lose which they likely will. So this weekend will be it.

I think 10 games are the limit unless you are in the playoffs and programs are shooting themselves in the foot if they don't get in as many games as possible. Let the young guys play, let the seniors play, get the practice in. Make it the beginning of next season. Maybe generate some revenue for the athletic department. Make positive memories.

On joe eitel, Lakewood (up by Cleveland) is 2-6 right now and their schedule indicates they intend to play up to and including the last possible date giving them what will be 11 regular season games and 1 playoff game for 12 total games. Talk about maximizing your schedule haha.

Remember guys, there was once upon a time when there was no playoffs and the games teams played were well typically just for a league title potentially or at "worst" just to simply enjoy playing the game. If you can get a full 10 games in go for it. There are spring sport athletes who are jealous at the thought of playing "meaningless games".

Unless it's a traditional rival that couldn't be played during the regular season, these games should be used to feature second and third string players, especially seniors.

Unless it's a traditional rival that couldn't be played during the regular season, these games should be used to feature second and third string players, especially seniors.
So guys that are coachable and have worked hard in and out of season perhaps for years to be the best on their team don't deserve to play?

Interesting.

So guys that are coachable and have worked hard in and out of season perhaps for years to be the best on their team don't deserve to play?

Interesting.

I don't recall writing that. However, let's look at that. How about the kids that have worked just as hard for years and years, but have not been able to play very much., if at all. Don't they deserve to play also? The starters have probably played every game and, with the compact season, the others have probably not. No one said to disregard the starters, but, if the entire purpose of doing this season was to " let the kids play," shouldn't that be done? Especially since these games after elimination are simply to allow the teams to play.

I am all for it. Let those seniors get as many games as they can.
I agree, but I would rotate freely. Juniors/Sophomores getting additional reps can only help for next year.

Programs like Newark Catholic and Ignatius had long runs of playoff success and one reason given has been that they kept playing extending seasons, with weeks of extra practice and game snaps, which made them better again the next season and gave them advantage

I don't recall writing that. However, let's look at that. How about the kids that have worked just as hard for years and years, but have not been able to play very much., if at all. Don't they deserve to play also? The starters have probably played every game and, with the compact season, the others have probably not. No one said to disregard the starters, but, if the entire purpose of doing this season was to " let the kids play," shouldn't that be done? Especially since these games after elimination are simply to allow the teams to play.
When you wrote "feature second and third string players" I thought that's what you meant.

Maybe not though.

If I were a coach, and it's not a rivalry game or a league title game, I'm letting that senior that worked his butt off the previous three seasons (and still is), yet couldn't sniff the field, play alongside the starters. At some point early in the game, put in that 3rd string LG between the starting C and LT. In the second half, get some reps for the 2nd string, but not all at the same time, let them play with some starters also.

Last edited:
I agree, but I would rotate freely. Juniors/Sophomores getting additional reps can only help for next year.

Programs like Newark Catholic and Ignatius had long runs of playoff success and one reason given has been that they kept playing extending seasons, with weeks of extra practice and game snaps, which made them better again the next season and gave them advantage
I agree. Still play all out to win. What I hate is when A coach brings in the 2nd unit only to run up the gut 3 times then punt. I am more of A run your offense and make the other team stop you.

If I were a coach, and it's not a rivalry game or a league title game, I'm letting that senior that worked his butt off the previous three seasons (and still is), yet couldn't sniff the field, play alongside the starters. At some point early in the game, put in that 3rd string LG between the starting C and LT. In the second half, get some reps for the 2nd string, but not all at the same time, let them play with some starters also.

I believe you can schedule jv games also