Playoff Week 1: Fairfield

Great game Elder. The damn thing was almost a carbon copy of the 2015 layoff clash at the Pitt. Ramsey is an amazing player dominating both as a running QB and as a pass receiver. His catch on 2nd & 19 of a wobbly duck on Elder's winning TD drive was the play of the game.

FF's freshman QB is the real deal though. Once he get's a summer of 7 on 7's and QB camps under his belt he's going to be a force the next 3 years in SWO football.

This win brought to you by Drew Ramsey. What a mother f’n stud
Gotta hand it to him— and the offense (not the D, obviously)— I’ve been impressed with Elder’s guts and grit (no sideways compliment) for 50 years now... since I watched Steve Grote play for Elder...

Cool. Wasn't watching....how so?
Making unbelievable catches, literally ripping the ball away from DBs, then just putting his head down and running over & around the FF Defense. Really just an unbelievable effort all game, but especially Elder’s last 2 drives

Gotta hand it to him— and the offense (not the D, obviously)— I’ve been impressed with Elder’s guts and grit (no sideways compliment) for 50 years now... since I watched Steve Grote play for Elder...

The D has to play better, there’s no question about it. They stepped up when they needed to, but man, tackling has to get better. If they don’t play drastically better next week, Elder loses. My only hope is this game makes them wake up. They actually played better last week vs Cathedral.

Last edited:

I think it's mental toughness.

By the way that is why the University of Michigan named an annual athletic award after Steve Grote. But it is for basketball. It is the annual Steve Grote Hustle Award. I do not have a doubt if Grote wanted to play football at Michigan he would have been a beast.

I think it's mental toughness.

By the way that is why the University of Michigan named an annual athletic award after Steve Grote. But it is for basketball. It is the annual Steve Grote Hustle Award. I do not have a doubt if Grote wanted to play football at Michigan he would have been a beast.
I don’t question that. Down 11, with all the momentum on FF’s side, it would’ve been easy to fold. Even more so bc this whole season is so weird it almost doesn’t seem real.

A few other things:

OL needs to do a better job picking up the Blitz. The sack/fumble hit on Hambleton turned momentum

Hambleton needs to know when throw the ball away. He has a tendency to throw up jump balls under pressure

Elder’s offense looks much more comfortable going up tempo.

Defense needs to get better in just about every single way, but especially Defense. Too many arm tackles, especially in the Secondary.

Larkins needs to play more snaps at DE. He’s their best edge rusher

That touchback on the final kickoff was absolutely huge. Elder is giving up way too much field position on kickoffs. You’re already at a disadvantage on Defense but that’s getting magnified when the other team’s Offense starts at the 40 yd line

Last edited:
Hambleton needs to know when throw the ball away. He has a tendency to throw up jump balls under pressure .

He would have had at least two more interceptions tonight if the balls he threw to Ramsey were thrown to anyone else.

He would have had at least two more interceptions tonight if the balls he threw to Ramsey were thrown to anyone else.
There was a definite missed PI on that interception, but Hambleton is still playing a bit too loose with some of those passes

Ramsey had 308 total yards rushing/receiving. He surged Elder to a win. No Niemann tonight hurt the passing attack. Elder should have fed Johnson the ball more after getting up 14-0. Trust your running back. Princeton is going to be a big challenge. The defense will have to play better to survive to St. X.

Didnt watch and barely listened to the game but I agree with Omar. Put Larkins at D-end and leave him on the field. He is a senior. He can handle it. Gotta go with your best players this time of the year. One more stud can shift everyone else around and improve the overall defense.

Didnt watch and barely listened to the game but I agree with Omar. Put Larkins at D-end and leave him on the field. He is a senior. He can handle it. Gotta go with your best players this time of the year. One more stud can shift everyone else around and improve the overall defense.

Larkins had 2 sacks in limited plays on defense. Elder had 6 sacks total as a team. Gaillin Mitchell had 9 tackles and 2 sacks tonight to lead the defense.

I say it all the time, but special teams are important too. Field position is so important when you don’t have a shutdown Defense. I’m almost certain on FF’s scoring drives, they started at or near the 40 yd line.