Mooney vs ursuline

new coach at mooney, new administration, but what are the problems with this former state power
How long you got? They have a laundry list of issues. Some of the big problems are that the discipline in the school has been lax for a few years now. Its not the same caliber of kid that walked the halls in their heyday. I know when I looked at sending my kids to one of the 3 Catholic schools Mooney was quickly crossed off the list because of the issues in the school. There are other families that I know that felt the same way. Hiring Pelini isn't going to help the cause either.

I would guess Pelini knows more about football than any coach who’s ever been there. Just because you have some problem with him apparently doesn’t mean he can’t coach. Sometimes a lot of rumors are just that, rumors or at least exaggerations.

I would guess Pelini knows more about football than any coach who’s ever been there. Just because you have some problem with him apparently doesn’t mean he can’t coach. Sometimes a lot of rumors are just that, rumors or at least exaggerations.
Rumors didn't get him fired at FAU. Saying he knows more than any coach who has coached at a school that has as many championships as they do is just stupid.

It's amazing how the interest in this rivalry has dwindled big time. I know people who have kids at Mooney currently and they say its a mess. Jaws31 is 100% correct. The Irish should win this year, but you never know. With Reardon now at the helm again, the Irish have to feel good about the future. Anybody know how the younger classes at both schools are doing...freshmen records? Any notable younger players?

Rumors didn't get him fired at FAU. Saying he knows more than any coach who has coached at a school that has as many championships as they do is just stupid.
No calling someone stupid may be something you should think twice about. Pelini has coached numerous years at a national championship caliber power five conference team. Not knocking any of Mooneys past coaches (even championship years) but to say they have more knowledge than Pelini is questionable at best.

How is that rationale helping Cleveland St. Joe’s?

With all do respect, I cant believe he has more knowledge that Bucci! However, his (Pelini's) high school track record is not good from what i have been told. I have also been told that he is a one year coach and then there is someone on that staff that will be given the head coaching role moving forward.

10 years ago it was Ursuline that everyone thought was a mess and in trouble

Whoops

True and 20 years ago it was also Mooney, at least from a football perspective. However this time feels different to me and that's all I will say about it.

As far as this game goes as I said on another thread Mooney has shown a penchant for giving up the big play. Ursuline has the playmakers to exploit that and if the Cards continue to turn the ball over as well this could get ugly. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good luck to both teams.

No calling someone stupid may be something you should think twice about. Pelini has coached numerous years at a national championship caliber power five conference team. Not knocking any of Mooneys past coaches (even championship years) but to say they have more knowledge than Pelini is questionable at best.
National championship caliber P5 teams? Minnesota St, Ohio, FAU and Bowling Green are a far cry from meeting that criteria. He rode his brothers coattails for a few years at Nebraska, sure. Im sure he does know his football, its the character that is the issue.

True and 20 years ago it was also Mooney, at least from a football perspective. However this time feels different to me and that's all I will say about it.

As far as this game goes as I said on another thread Mooney has shown a penchant for giving up the big play. Ursuline has the playmakers to exploit that and if the Cards continue to turn the ball over as well this could get ugly. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good luck to both teams.

Agree with this as far as this time it is different. I don't remember Ursuline like this 10 years ago as another poster stated. Combine them already...alumni need to put aside there dislike for the other and get it done. The Ursuline campus would make the most sense...jmo.

I know it’s not happening but if they consolidated into one school, that could be a powerhouse.
I would agree in the past, the Youngstown area kids for the most part are staying home right now. I don’t think either team will be as good as when Ursuline won 3 straight and Mooney around 2008-2012

I know it’s not happening but if they consolidated into one school, that could be a powerhouse.
Tressel wants a Youngstown Central Catholic in the worst way, even going so far as to offering to have a new school built on land donated by YSU. Word is Ursuline is/was game, Mooney not so much.

Interesting set of dynamics surrounding the Youngstown Catholic HSs, especially Mooney. The failed attempt to relocate the HS might be too much to overcome. They all but admitted to prospective customers that they don't feel their current location is safe enough, but send your kids and give them your money anyway. Also, anything can happen if and when a new bishop is appointed. If a new bishop is not supportive of the school system and decides to close and consolidate some buildings, who can stop him?

I've grown to dread some of these "Holy War" rivalry games such as this one and Canton CC-St. Thomas Aquinas. They end up serving as a reminder of how far the DoY school system has fallen.

Tressel wants a Youngstown Central Catholic in the worst way, even going so far as to offering to have a new school built on land donated by YSU. Word is Ursuline is/was game, Mooney not so much.

That would likely be the death knell for JFK. A shiny brand new school with more offerings and resources 20 or so minutes away.

Last edited:
Interesting set of dynamics surrounding the Youngstown Catholic HSs, especially Mooney. The failed attempt to relocate the HS might be too much to overcome. They all but admitted to prospective customers that they don't feel their current location is safe enough, but send your kids and give them your money anyway. Also, anything can happen if and when a new bishop is appointed. If a new bishop is not supportive of the school system and decides to close and consolidate some buildings, who can stop him?

I've grown to dread some of these "Holy War" rivalry games such as this one and Canton CC-St. Thomas Aquinas. They end up serving as a reminder of how far the DoY school system has fallen.

It’s not how far the DOY has fallen it is how far many Catholics or people who consider themselves former Catholics have fallen. The huge sacrifice of giving an hour of your time once a week to God by going to Mass is optional, at best, to most who still consider themselves Catholic, let alone sending their kids to Catholic school. Everyone is their own god today and it is going to get much worse before it gets better. My kids never miss Mass but we are in the minority.

That would likely be the death knell for JFK. A shiny brand new school with more offerings and resources 20 or so minutes away.
Not really. Kennedy is the only Catholic school in Trumbull County. A lot of our kids already drive 30+ minutes from the northern parts of the county. Doubtful they would double that to go to school in Youngstown. We have little to no kids from Mahoning now so losing them back to the Ytown wouldn't be sn issue. Sure maybe a few from Warren would maybe go there but a lot would still consider JFK for more opportunities that would be available sooner. This is all moot anyway because it is not happening, at least for the foreseeable future. The Mooney money people are going to hold on as long as they can. For better or worse.

IMO the two schools should have been combined years ago. The Diocese has closed every Catholic elementary school in the city limits except St. Christine's citing declining enrollment in every case. If that is true, which it is, how do they reconcile keeping both Mooney & Ursuline open when the enrollment decline in those two is just as pronounced if not worse?

OHSAA lists Mooney with 149 boys & 174 girls this year. That is roughly 50 boys and 58 girls per class. That number is for 3 classes so add another 50 boys and 58 girls and you get a total of 432 kids. My graduating class had 472 kids. Obviously there was a much larger population in the city and much lower tuition costs then but the decline in enrollment is every bit as large at the high schools as the grade schools that were all closed but both high schools are still open. Why?

I asked that question of a person that was on the Diocesan finance committee at the time but he never really gave me an answer. As noted by others above the two high schools do have deep pocketed alums that help keep them open, the elementary schools? Not so much. If you combined the two and every student currently enrolled stayed at the combined school they still would have less than 50% of the enrollment of either school alone at their peak enrollment. Regardless it just seems hypocritical to me.

^^^ It's essentially a d**k swinging contest between a couple folks with deep pockets. Meanwhile the students and staff they 'service' twist in the wind.

Maybe before we are dead we will see a Youngstown Central Catholic. Probably not though.

^^^ It's essentially a d**k swinging contest between a couple folks with deep pockets. Meanwhile the students and staff they 'service' twist in the wind.

Maybe before we are dead we will see a Youngstown Central Catholic. Probably not though.
Would the school colors be Red and Green or Green and Red

Would the school colors be Red and Green or Green and Red

If that's the case this guy could be their mascot:

BUDDY-THE-ELF-961x706[1].jpg