Solon vs Kirtland on Sept. 25th

I'll say this I hope kirkland wins big I always been a big fan of Kirkland's and I think it would prove to everybody how good that team really is and how well coached they are.

I'll say this I hope kirkland wins big I always been a big fan of Kirkland's and I think it would prove to everybody how good that team really is and how well coached they are.
KirTland, not Kirkland.

I agree they are well coached, but I think the championship pedigree over the last decade has proven that. Beating a random D1 school in a Covid season would be neat, but wouldn't change anything one way or the other.

My fault buddy that was t9. but with twice as many boys and a team that has a tradition with winning ways (Solon). still a great accomplishment. I think if they can hang with them or beat them I can seen more d1 teams playing the likes of *KIRTLAND*.

Does anyone know if the KIRTLAND fr team is any good just got word Massillon will be traveling to playing them in 2 weeks ..
I honestly have no idea...Kirtland’s not going to be world beaters, but they shouldn’t be a slouch either...I personally enjoy hearing the Kirtland freshmen & JVs challenging themselves...

I thought this game would be closer for sure. I wouldn’t say Kirtland wore down Solon at all, as they only scored six points in the second half, but Solon just couldn’t get enough negative plays out of Kirtland.

I give Solon a ton of credit scheduling this one. I know the Hornet players & coaches have a ton of respect for the program Solon has.

You certainly have to wonder how this game would have gone if the roles were flipped (Kirtland in its second game & Solon in its 5th game).

I assume Solon would have won by a score or two, but I don’t want to play a game of what-ifs...

On another note, I don’t have any more words to describe what Tiger LaVerde & his staff have built. According to the Hornet Stat Crew YouTube stream, he’s on win #199, and a matchup against Hawken next week should solidify #200.

The fact that he’s churned out at least twelve wins 10 out of the last 12 years is a testament to how good of a coach he is.

For Solon, I believe Medina has one of the best quarterbacks in Northeast Ohio. It will be interesting to see how they adjust from the rushing attacks of St. V & Kirtland to the aerial attack of Medina. I hope they shake off the rust soon & make a little noise in D1. Time will tell...

What a fantastic win for Kirtland. When they win the state title this year, the win over Solon will likely be a very close second to the most memorable and important win of the 2020 season.

As for Solon, those extra weeks of rust are showing themselves in these first two losses. But still, a team led by a trio of guys that are three (or four) year starters at incredibly key positions (QB, RB, and DE) should have done better. The rest of the team is clearly down by Solon standard. Hurri-Comet (RIP my friend) is rolling over in his grave. Legendary Solon Yappster MetaComet has been MIA for a while, but he surely would be shocked and calling for a coaching change. McQuaide has kept the program hovering right around “pretty good, better than mediocre” for far too long.

Congrats to our Lake County neighbors on a memorable win. Division V has to be taking notice.

Game wasn’t even as close as the score suggested.

1st half Kirtland mixed up pass and run and had the Comet defense on their heels.

2nd half it was clear the Hornets were killing the clock. Each quarter the Hornets had 1 drive of all runs (and 1 pass each) that consumed 9 minutes per drive.

If they kept their foot on the gas they likely could have scored 3 TDS in the 2nd half.

Does anyone know if the KIRTLAND fr team is any good just got word Massillon will be traveling to playing them in 2 weeks ..
They tend to have weaker freshman team but it doesn’t mean anything. I use to coach and coached a couple of games vs their freshman team. They never looked special but a few years later when they developed those kids, they were studs.

Hawken has backed out of their week 6 game vs Kirtland. Good luck to the Hornets finding a replacement ?

Lol. This is hilarious. Week 2 Crestwood backs out and Kirtland plays Shaker Heights instead.
Week 5 Kirtland drops Beachwood to play Solon. Week 6 Hawken backs out of their game against Kirtland.
Unfortunately Bishop Sycamore already scheduled Warren G Harding, who was suddenly open when StVM cancelled their game for 10/2

Down the road, there's a possibility Crestwood is the 16 or 17 seed in D5R17. If they win their opening round game, do you guys think their's any chance they forfeit to Kirtland in Round 2?

This demonstrates the worthlessness of polls:

The Hornets won their 35th consecutive game Friday, winning 27-7 at Division I playoff regular Solon. They already had another D-I victory at Shaker Heights, but five voters gave their top nods in Division V to other squads.

Ironton, which met Kirtland in last year’s Division V state final, received three of them. One went to Canfield South Range, which resides in Region 17 with the Hornets, and another went to St. Bernard Roger Bacon in the Cincinnati area.

This demonstrates the worthlessness of polls:

The Hornets won their 35th consecutive game Friday, winning 27-7 at Division I playoff regular Solon. They already had another D-I victory at Shaker Heights, but five voters gave their top nods in Division V to other squads.

Ironton, which met Kirtland in last year’s Division V state final, received three of them. One went to Canfield South Range, which resides in Region 17 with the Hornets, and another went to St. Bernard Roger Bacon in the Cincinnati area.
I never pay attention to that stuff. It's meaningless.