The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

If Baur goes tomorrow on 4 days rest he would pitch again on the 23rd against the Brewers and would likely start game 1 of the playoffs. Both on normal rest or if necessary pitch a couple innings in the final game of the season.

Do you pitch him Tomorrow or keep him on normal rest and run Disco out tomorrow?

If Baur goes tomorrow on 4 days rest he would pitch again on the 23rd against the Brewers and would likely start game 1 of the playoffs. Both on normal rest or if necessary pitch a couple innings in the final game of the season.

Do you pitch him Tomorrow or keep him on normal rest and run Disco out tomorrow?
Bauer and Disco both started games in the Monday doubleheader. Same rest for each guy. At this point I would rather have you pitch instead of Disco, especially Disco on short rest.

Mahle went 2 2/3 innings Sunday in his start. Antone went 3 innings Saturday in his start. I'd have both ready to go Friday - Antone first. Then Bauer Saturday, and probably Lorenzen Sunday, since Sonny cannot come back until the 21st at the earliest. With the quick hook last night on Castillo, could Ding-a-ling be thinking about getting Luis back in on Sunday on 3 days rest?

If Gray appears on track to return on the 21st then I'd go with Mahle/Antone tonight. Otherwise I'd go with Bauer on 4 days rest.

As I said, Bauer pitched Monday. That means 3 days rest.

IMO no reason to rush Bauer back, because if you do, who pitches Saturday? Lorenzen on 3 days rest? And then Luis Sunday on 3 days rest? I'd use Antone/Mahle combo tonight, and keep the others on 4 days rest.

Looks like Ding-a-ling is going with Mahle today and TBD tomorrow, that better be Bauer.

Nice time to put together a win streak. Looks like ATL, CHC, LAD and SD are in and that leaves five teams for the four remaining spots. Should keep it interesting through the last day of the regular season.

I would say something positive but every time I do it has bad results. I've been hyping this roster all summer, so I hope the upside is still ahead of us. Solid outing by the Mahle/Antone combo. Let's go Bauer!

Two things I heard on the broadcast last night:
- Sounds positive for Sonny to pitch vs. the Brewers
- Reds have the hardest remaining schedule for the NL contenders, while the Cardinals have the easiest

FYI stuff:

Cards won the season series with Reds 6-4, so that 1st tiebreaker is not in our favor. So as of today Cards take 2nd in division, and Reds get wild card #2 and 8 seed over SF by virtue of better record within division (19-18 for Reds, 15-17 for SF).

Only 2 teams could realistically overtake the Reds: SF (currently tied), and Brewers (2 games back). So this weekend we are rooting for Oakland and KC.

Mon-Weds the Reds/Brewers series is HUGE. And we pull for the Rockies (against SF) and KC again (against Cards). So now I'm a Royals fan I guess.

Next weekend while Reds play 3 vs. the Twins, Brewers play 4 vs. Cards, and Giants play the tough Padres.

it is really fun to be paying this much attention to details this late in September - a nice change!

Yeah that was bad in pretty much every aspect except Bauer was decent. You should be able to win if your SP gives up 2 runs in 7 innings.

Anyone know if Shogo was hurt/sick? I saw no news on that. I suspect Ding-a-ling sat him because of Keuchel, that old lefty on lefty thing that he is so fixated on. Fricking moron. Shogo has a .500 OBP the last 15 games. .500! He has been driving the offense. Better sit him against a lefty. So stupid.

Huge series with the Brewers. Need at least 2/3.

Robert Stephenson still being at the major league level is charity. He's never proven he can play at this level.

I was never a huge fan of David Bell but didn't hate him either. His managing style is frustrating this season. He rarely runs out his best lineup at the expense of "the matchups". I understand resting players in 162 game season, but not in a 60 game season where every game matters.

Huge series with the Brewers. Need at least 2/3.

Robert Stephenson still being at the major league level is charity. He's never proven he can play at this level.

I was never a huge fan of David Bell but didn't hate him either. His managing style is frustrating this season. He rarely runs out his best lineup at the expense of "the matchups". I understand resting players in 162 game season, but not in a 60 game season where every game matters.
2 of 3 against the Brewers likely won't be enough. The Reds likely will need to win 32 games (5 of 6) to guarantee a playoff spot.

2 of 3 against the Brewers likely won't be enough. The Reds likely will need to win 32 games (5 of 6) to guarantee a playoff spot.
If you are looking to say "guarantee", sure, 5-1 locks it up. But logically 4-2 should do it.

The Reds hold intradivision record tiebreaker over the Giants and Brewers. If the Reds go 4-2 this week, either the Brewers need to go 5-2 vs. the Reds (3) and Cards (4) , or the Giants need to go 5-2 against the Rockies (4) and Padres (3). Sure, that could happen, but obviously if the Reds beat the Brewers 2 of 3, that is essentially a 2 game lead on the Brewers, given the tie breaker. 2 of 3 for the Reds pretty much ends the Brewers chance of going 5-2, unless you think they are going to sweep 4 from the Cards.

Of course, I want to sweep the Brewers, but 2 of 3 would accomplish a lot. The Giants are more worrisome - hope the Rockies can split 4 with them.

If you are looking to say "guarantee", sure, 5-1 locks it up. But logically 4-2 should do it.

The Reds hold intradivision record tiebreaker over the Giants and Brewers. If the Reds go 4-2 this week, either the Brewers need to go 5-2 vs. the Reds (3) and Cards (4) , or the Giants need to go 5-2 against the Rockies (4) and Padres (3). Sure, that could happen, but obviously if the Reds beat the Brewers 2 of 3, that is essentially a 2 game lead on the Brewers, given the tie breaker. 2 of 3 for the Reds pretty much ends the Brewers chance of going 5-2, unless you think they are going to sweep 4 from the Cards.

Of course, I want to sweep the Brewers, but 2 of 3 would accomplish a lot. The Giants are more worrisome - hope the Rockies can split 4 with them.
6-0 the rest of the way gets them in...........

The Cards have only 58 games on their schedule. Will MLB make them play a double header on Oct. 1 to settle a playoff spot or will they merely go off of winning percentage?

The Cards have only 58 games on their schedule. Will MLB make them play a double header on Oct. 1 to settle a playoff spot or will they merely go off of winning percentage?
I haven't heard, but I'm certain they won;t push back the playoff schedule for it. Not sure which team(s) they would even need to play.

BTW - Votto became the Reds all time leader in BB, passing Pete. No small feat. Also:
- 2nd in HR (trailing Bench)
- 5th in RBI
- 5th in Runs
- 2nd in Doubles (Rose)
- 1st in OPS (minimum 1000 ABs)

How knuckleheads can trash this guy is beyond me. One of the great Reds of all time. I know he is slipping at age 37, but his OBP is still .355 (top 50 in the entire MLB, 2nd on Reds behind Winker), with 10 HR in 48 games. Pretty decent year. Love to seem him in a deep playoff run - he deserves it.