Week 3: St. X

Think the Elder D will need to step it up a notch to Win. Look forward to a great Football Game Friday at the Pit!

Elder’s D will be the key. The X running game looked much better vs LS. Kellom & Vrzansky are a nice duo. Of course the main focus is going to be limiting Clifford, getting Thomas back will help but he’s still going to get his touches.

On Offense, I expect you’ll see more Ramsey at QB since the X D has historically struggled with mobile QBs. Hambleton doesn’t get the credit he should for being mobile, but he’s not as good of a runner as Luebbe or Bittner.

My understanding is that Thomas is out again this week.
tenor.gif

Really? Reason?

If a punch was thrown, here's why....

"Any player ejected for fighting, as defined in the NFHS playing rules and included in this GSR, shall be ineligible for all contests for the remainder of that day. In addition, the player shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in that sport until four regular season/tournament contests (two in football) are played at the same level as the ejection or disqualification."

Ohsaa rulebook says 1 game for unsportsmanlike conduct. It doesn’t specifically say anything about fighting. If unsportsmanlike conduct and fighting are considered the same thing then it’s 1 game.

June 2, 2020:
"The penalty has doubled for fighting in a sanctioned Ohio High School Athletic Association event.

The OHSAA approved a measure last month, when it also passed expansion for the 2021 football playoffs, by increasing suspension lengths when student-athletes are ejected for fighting.

For football, that doubles a suspension from one game to two. Most other sports, including basketball, doubles the penalty to four games."

Is there an appeal process? I get being tossed & serving a 1 game suspension. However, 2.5 games missed, in a shortened season, bc of that? There’s been legitimate brawls in the past, mostly during b-ball games, that were the impetus for the rule change, but this is draconian.

If a punch was thrown, here's why....

"Any player ejected for fighting, as defined in the NFHS playing rules and included in this GSR, shall be ineligible for all contests for the remainder of that day. In addition, the player shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in that sport until four regular season/tournament contests (two in football) are played at the same level as the ejection or disqualification."

Thank You.
I’d say the above picture should be a 2 Gamer. Straight shot to the Head not going to be tolerated in any OHSAA Sport.

Thank You.
I’d say the above picture should be a 2 Gamer. Straight shot to the Head not going to be tolerated in any OHSAA Sport.
What am I missing? It looks like an open hand push to the face while the other kid has his hand in his facemask. It was dumb on Thomas’ part and he deserved to be booted and even serve a 1 game suspension, but missing 2 games? That’s excessive.

And I think I’ve proven myself to not be a homer, if he really hit him with a close fist and it’s not captured in this pic, I have zero objection to him missing two games.

Only question is should it be considered fighting,

The OHSAA General Sports Regulation states... (posted prior)

I highlighted and underlined the first part because the NFHS definition for fighting is.....

"Fighting is any attempt by a player or nonplayer to strike or engage a player or nonplayer in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact."

Please note....

A fist is not a prerequisite for fighting.

Is there an appeal process? I get being tossed & serving a 1 game suspension. However, 2.5 games missed, in a shortened season, bc of that? There’s been legitimate brawls in the past, mostly during b-ball games, that were the impetus for the rule change, but this is draconian.

I agree. The Elder player was defending himself, not fighting. Missing one more game is not the end of the world though. He will be back for Moeller and probably more motivated than ever to make up for his mistake.

I agree. The Elder player was defending himself, not fighting. Missing one more game is not the end of the world though. He will be back for Moeller and probably more motivated than ever to make up for his mistake.

If you get struck illegally by an opponent, and you defend yourself by striking back....

By rule in every rule set..... You are fighting

That’s why Elder should appeal, even if it’s a long shot.

If you get struck illegally by an opponent, and you defend yourself by striking back....

By rule in every rule set..... You are fighting
You also have to ask the spirit of the rule. This was hardly a melee, and you have to assume the rule was created with the intention of limiting actual brawls, not some ticky tac shove to the facemask

Don’t know how to attach a video, but these should be enough to say he wasn’t defending himself

Attachments

• 14FE8788-6F82-4859-B527-3D34AA0DD5F5.jpeg
    14FE8788-6F82-4859-B527-3D34AA0DD5F5.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 62
  • 348A63C7-7BC4-4562-9226-70462CB43EF2.jpeg
    348A63C7-7BC4-4562-9226-70462CB43EF2.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 63AB1268-60E0-4050-9829-1D0336482083.jpeg
    63AB1268-60E0-4050-9829-1D0336482083.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2FAD9104-9041-45BC-97B4-DE11C9F995FC.jpeg
    2FAD9104-9041-45BC-97B4-DE11C9F995FC.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 66
I’m now hearing was 3 Gamer by OHSAA and he may have to sit a 4th for Team consequences. I’m with 2 Games, 4 seems a tad excessive.

You also have to ask the spirit of the rule. This was hardly a melee, and you have to assume the rule was created with the intention of limiting actual brawls, not some ticky tac shove to the facemask

As usual.. You are wrong.

If a player gets sucker punched and that player retaliated in the same way (or by what's described in the rule), he is gulity of fighting.