Midwest Athletic Conference 2020

Can someone please fill this in with opposing team and score?

Chip Otten's state finals appearances:

2010: __ defeats CW
2011: __ defeats CW
2012: CW defeats Kirtland 9-7
2013: CW defeats __
2014: CW defeats __
2015: CW defeats __
2016: some Catholic school defeats CW bc Muhlenkamp has only one good leg & excellent CW qb/punter/db/kicker (Thobe?) just barely misses a tackle

2010: Ursuline defeats CW 52-21
2011: Kirtland defeats CW 28-7 Christian Hauber looked and ran like a 30 year old man
2012: Coldwater defeats Kirtland 10-9.
2013: Coldwater defeats Bishop Hartley 24-7
2014: Coldwater defeats Canton CC 62-21
2015: Coldwater defeats Canton CC 35-18
2016: Canton CC defeats CW 16-13. Dylan Thobe. And that WR stepped out of bounds on that out route too but ?‍♂️

2010: Ursuline defeats CW 52-21
2011: Kirtland defeats CW 28-7 Christian Hauber looked and ran like a 30 year old man
2012: Coldwater defeats Kirtland 10-9.
2013: Coldwater defeats Bishop Hartley 24-7
2014: Coldwater defeats Canton CC 62-21
2015: Coldwater defeats Canton CC 35-18
2016: Canton CC defeats CW 16-13. Dylan Thobe. And that WR stepped out of bounds on that out route too but ?‍♂️
Thanks state!

Can someone please fill this in with opposing team and score?

Chip Otten's state finals appearances:

2010: __ defeats CW
2011: __ defeats CW
2012: CW defeats Kirtland 9-7
2013: CW defeats __
2014: CW defeats __
2015: CW defeats __
2016: some Catholic school defeats CW bc Muhlenkamp has only one good leg & excellent CW qb/punter/db/kicker (Thobe?) just barely misses a tackle
2016: Unfortunately for CW this was a game where the kicking game was needed but we still had opportunities to win. Coach Reed started a tradition (Coach O has continued it) of putting importance of a strong kicking game and ever since then it has been well above average and has been directly, and indirectly, involved in many Cavalier W's.

I do not have any direct "evidence" of this being the case, but I wonder how much the youth soccer program at the Park has helped develop kids who kick?

Of course it starts at the HS level when a coaching staff shows an importance of the kicking game. Kids see it and dont look at them as being just a flaky kicker, but as an important tool. They see the importance, makes it look "cool" and the next thing you know there are kids in Junior High and younger working on kicking on their own on the practice field.

Don't forget though, CW benefited from an injury of the QB, and stud defender, from tUYCM when they were nationally ranked and didnt squeeze the Schlarmin on the EP. The QB was also injured in the first matchup when CW had Ross Homan, but I feel CW likely was the better team that season.

Injuries suck, but they happen. I would have loved to see how well we did the year Kevin Hoyng got hurt. Injured his shoulder in week 10 vs DSJ running the ball when the game was in hand. Week 11 he played DB and covered the opponents best receiver. Week 12 against Reading he played QB, but you could tell his shoulder was bothering him.
Oh welll....

Last edited:
If I owned a local bar say the Korner, you could hire a drone pilot and do a live feed on the TV's. Also many of the sidewalk and areas along the fence have a good amount of half decent views. I have watched a few (really nasty weather) games from the car while listening to the radio, Minster in front of the drug store comes to mind.

2014 was the MAC's greatest year of playoff football ever, with the league taking three state titles.

D-V ... Coldwater defeats Canton Central Catholic 62-21 (Cavs score over 40 in the first half!)

D-VI ... Minster very narrowly defeats/upsets Kirtland 46-42, benefiting from a successful onside kick late that follows a scintillating catch and long down-the-sideline run for a td by Eli Wolf

D-VII ... ML, fielding what is likely the greatest Flyer team ever, defeats Norwalk St. Paul 41-0

And I believe ML in D-IV and Versailles in D-III won state titles in volleyball that fall as well.

For several days, I have been fantasizing that so many teams will opt out of the playoffs that ML (or Coldwater or whomever else from the MAC) can play in, and win, the state title already in week 9 - then play Massillon at a neutral site in central Ohio in week 10.

And if it happens, I will gladly arrange for a dairy farmer to bring a cow to the stadium and allow a MAC fan to milk it by hand at the center of the field before the game. Winning team gets the raw milk!!

Last edited:
I have been fantasizing for several days now that so many teams will opt out of the playoffs that ML (or Coldwater or whomever else from the MAC) can play in, and win, the state title already in week 9 - then play Massillon at a neutral site in central Ohio in week 10.

And if it happens, I will gladly arrange for a dairy farmer to bring a cow to the stadium and allow a MAC fan to milk it by hand at the center of the field before the game. Winning team gets the raw milk!!
On PAPER, that sounds riveting......

CW put out info today or last night. They are waiting for the powers-that-be announce attendance. They did say, the MAC did raise ticket prices to $7 this year. That is an increase, right? Seems like forever ago.....

Great, so do something about it. You’re the reason he’s here, and it’s irritating as hell. Swallow your pride and make it stop.
Wow, couldn't even last a week.
Like, realtalk, what did Massillon do to you, or Coldwater, to make you so fixated on "trolling" their fanbase, voice?

Serious question, how long does it take to clear the cows off the field before a MAC game?

According to my father in law, a few minutes He played for Maria Stein's 1st football team in the late 40"s the St John Blue Jays. The players would line up before practice and games with shovels and such to clear the field. I believe the school owned the property but let Charlie Wendlin graze his cattle there to keep it manicured properly.
Charlie would run them in every day before games or practice (I think he had a dog help), but it was up to the team to clear the field of patties "especially before games."

Also part of the field was the infield of the ball diamond.

Another interesting story was the Minster game. After a very heavy rain there was about 6"+ water in some spots. They made a gentleman's agreement before the game to get up and pull each-other as quick as possible to prevent drownings.

Both true stories to the best of my recollection.
Probably would have your boys huddled in the corner too traumatized to move. LOL

Last edited:
Wow, couldn't even last a week.
Like, realtalk, what did Massillon do to you, or Coldwater, to make you so fixated on "trolling" their fanbase, voice?
He just can't help himself. I don't wanna be here in the basement of Ohio High school football, but here is where I find myself. I mean....it's only fair, if he continues to derail Massillon threads, guess I'm gonna have to set up camp here.

Speaking of the olden days of Marion football:

In 1947 I believe, Marion Local football began operations directly across from the Catholic church in Maria Stein at the St. John High School (the district did not became ML until maybe 1955 or 1956). I think ML football games were still played at the district's St. John property through the 1964 season even though the new high school was opened on the west end of town in 1958.

Venerable Maria Stein elder statesman Uppy Berning claims that this St. John school in Maria Stein, in its inaugural football season in '47, played a high school team from Lima (or somewhere a decent distance away) that actually had a WWII vet on its roster, a man believed to be 21 years of age!

According to my father in law, a few minutes He played for Maria Stein's 1st football team in the late 40"s the St John Blue Jays. The players would line up before practice and games with shovels and such to clear the field. I believe the school owned the property but let Charlie Wendlin graze his cattle there to keep it manicured properly.
Charlie would run them in every day before games or practice (I think he had a dog help), but it was up to the team to clear the field of patties "especially before games."

Also part of the field was the infield of the ball diamond.

Another interesting story was the Minster game. After a very heavy rain there was about 6"+ water in some spots. They made a gentleman's agreement before the game to get up and pull each-other as quick as possible to prevent drownings.

Both true stories to the best of my recollection.
Probably would have your boys huddled in the corner too traumatized to move. LOL
Then there was the time Coldwater watered their field so much to slow MSML, right Flyer fans?!?!?!?
Classic MSML baseball moment, they would have hogs roaming in the field down the first base line. Someone hit a FB, hit hog and it went squealing pretty good! Was H I L A R I O U S!

On PAPER, that sounds riveting......

CW put out info today or last night. They are waiting for the powers-that-be announce attendance. They did say, the MAC did raise ticket prices to $7 this year. That is an increase, right? Seems like forever ago.....
They did last year or at least we did. Still $6 a game for season pass though! To bad I cant use that this year