Dayton Area Basketball

Good hire for Springfield. I do not see a lot of kids from Dayton heading east on 70 for the simply fact that the proximity will make it hard. They said the same thing about Mo Doug when he moved out there. What I do believe, coach Shawn will be able to do is keep those Springfield kids there, which has been the real problem. He keeps those kids in house. He will just be just fine. Mo has shut that pipeline down and Coach Shawn will too. I will go out on a limb and and say the folks up in Huber are a little worried?
Nope but the kids are trying to go with Dixon to Dunbar he has alot of AAU ties. Don't be surprised if Thurgood's best player somr how emds up at Dunbar.

I wish both Coach Dixon and Coach McCollough the best. However, ties to AAU has absolutely zero/nothing todo with building a successful high school program. Great coaches build it from the ground up to develop long term success. Not just one two years of being good once in a while.it is not about recruiting athletes. It’s about developing basketball players. Just a thought

Not a good analogy with football. Football was bad when the Douglass coach inherited. Basketball has been very successful throughout Carson era. Last year can be excused with the chaos surrounding program. And that 2021 class that was so successful is middle school turned into a football class, thanks in part to the success of Douglass among the reasons.
It was the 20 class and they didn’t lose a game in football in middle school and barely lost in basketball

I wish both Coach Dixon and Coach McCollough the best. However, ties to AAU has absolutely zero/nothing todo with building a successful high school program. Great coaches build it from the ground up to develop long term success. Not just one two years of being good once in a while.it is not about recruiting athletes. It’s about developing basketball players. Just a thought
I could be wrong but I believe ASVSM could prove this wrong. It could be one special case but I always had an understanding that that's how things went down there. An AAU team recruited to play high school together. They win 3 our of 4 state championships from 2000-2003, and after that the program was rolling. As stated this could be one specific case, but that's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

I could be wrong but I believe ASVSM could prove this wrong. It could be one special case but I always had an understanding that that's how things went down there. An AAU team recruited to play high school together. They win 3 our of 4 state championships from 2000-2003, and after that the program was rolling. As stated this could be one specific case, but that's the first thing I thought of when I read this.
you are correct. I was referring more to the public school scenario. I was also making a point that very few public schools in southern Ohio have any really sustained long term success. That is all. Also, the ones who have had long term success have a coach who has been there a while and established a real program

you are correct. I was referring more to the public school scenario. I was also making a point that very few public schools in southern Ohio have any really sustained long term success. That is all. Also, the ones who have had long term success have a coach who has been there a while and established a real program
Got you, and you are right that that's different with the public school scenario. I do think have a long term coach who is helping to build from the youth levels is very important.

I disagree some coaches start out getting players to transfer and then it takes off from there for example Wayne boys side was just ok at best then hired Trice he had a few guys come in and it took off. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but I can’t blame any coach for attempting it especially when you see whats going on at schools like Moeller

I disagree some coaches start out getting players to transfer and then it takes off from there for example Wayne boys side was just ok at best then hired Trice he had a few guys come in and it took off. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but I can’t blame any coach for attempting it especially when you see whats going on at schools like Moeller

Let’s be honest... it is very hard to win big (i.e. get to state/win state) in basketball if you aren’t a school that is recruiting/open enrollment/getting transfers... whatever you want to call it.

Let’s be honest... it is very hard to win big (i.e. get to state/win state) in basketball if you aren’t a school that is recruiting/open enrollment/getting transfers... whatever you want to call it.
I agree, and the same thing happens in some small schools as well. Tri Village has been one of the better D4 programs in the Dayton area over the last 10-15 years (that's not counting a few down years recently). They even have a state championship in 2015. They are known for getting transfers/move ins. They started 2 Freshman guards last year that transferred into the community.

If "it is not about recruiting athletes" then why do Moeller coaches attend every 7th and 8th grade CYO game . . . Are they just bored?

I am not doubting what Moeller does. I am just stating what it takes to have long term success at a public school.. the private schools play by a different set of rules.

I am not doubting what Moeller does. I am just stating what it takes to have long term success at a public school.. the private schools play by a different set of rules.
Problem is public have to play against those different set of rules. Look at Moe roster last year size wise they resembled some college teams

Problem is public have to play against those different set of rules. Look at Moe roster last year size wise they resembled some college teams
You are right. That is precisely why these a d and principals need to hire someone who knows what they are doing for the long term. The only way to compete with that is to build a program where the team is better than the individual talent. It takes a lot of work but it can be don

We're going to find out if it can be done over the next couple years with Centerville. I tend to think the talent level at Moeller is so overwhelming at the moment that you pretty much have to have some quality reinforcements via transfers to compete on their level.

We're going to find out if it can be done over the next couple years with Centerville. I tend to think the talent level at Moeller is so overwhelming at the moment that you pretty much have to have some quality reinforcements via transfers to compete on their level.
Agree . . . talent level is so high that 3 bench players on 2019 state championship team left for senior seasons--1 had D2 offer; 1 going to Mt. St. Joe to play and 1 going to Louisville as a PWO. Most public school teams are lucky to have 1 starter go on to play in college regardless of level.

Agree . . . talent level is so high that 3 bench players on 2019 state championship team left for senior seasons--1 had D2 offer; 1 going to Mt. St. Joe to play and 1 going to Louisville as a PWO. Most public school teams are lucky to have 1 starter go on to play in college regardless of level.
Look how long it took Hayes to get into starting lineup and he was a lottery pick

Interesting article... I know it's already been talked about on here, but I thought I'd go ahead and share..

Thanks for sharing the report. The judge must not have been happy with former Springfield coach Carson for taking his case to trial. He gives him 60 days in jail and then denies him an early release at the beginning of the covid-19 pandemic. Most with a misdemeanor domestic violence charge work out a plea deal with maybe a day or two in jail and probation.

Interesting article... I know it's already been talked about on here, but I thought I'd go ahead and share..

What championships have Coach McCullough won that warrants all of this praise? Also, what are all the coaching awards that the article is speaking of? I seriously want to know. I really wasn’t aware of all of this success. I still think it is too much to expect Dayton kids to follow him thirty miles to Springfield.

What championships have Coach McCullough won that warrants all of this praise? Also, what are all the coaching awards that the article is speaking of? I seriously want to know. I really wasn’t aware of all of this success. I still think it is too much to expect Dayton kids to follow him thirty miles to Springfield.
I'm thinking the same thing about kids following to Springfield from Dayton. I think it's more likely they go to Dunbar, Trotwood or West Carrolton as the article also noted.

He has won every stop. His stivers job was more impressive than Thurogod. Good hire

Exactly my point and that's what's going to take place at Dunbar. The AAU connection is very important, the logistics coaching in a city league is very different from anywhere else.

AAU connections do not win games and championships on a consistent basis. Yes, the city schools may be a bit different, but you have to buld from the ground up for long term success

AAU connections do not win games and championships on a consistent basis. Yes, the city schools may be a bit different, but you have to buld from the ground up for long term success
No it doesn't but what I'm saying is that many new or young coaches believe that you have to have that AAU connect on your staff to get that one "player" to bring in more "hi-profile" high school players particularly in the metro leagues. Kids that grew up playing together want to play together in high school especially if their AAU coach that's been coaching them since the 5th grade is now their H.S. coach and they won. Do not be surprised if several DPS kids from other DPS schools are at Dunbar the next few years. It doesn't =championships more than not but that's how these kids think in today's world. Personally, I'm not upset at all, I get it but I believe in developing from bottom up it's more rewarding.

High School is just a microcosm of how the NBA is today. It's the LeBron James effect!

Last edited:
I saw this on Twitter...

‘23 Antaune Allen, Antone Allen, & Randy Latham have all officially announced they’re transferring to Dunbar along with Chanze Amerson. The former Belmont trio will add some youth to the Dunbar team. All three are considered to be top sophomores in the city. More news to come ...

New Dunbar coach still committed to doing it the old fashion way. How about developing players instead of going the AAU route?