Confirmed Covid Shutdowns- OHIO

I'm sorry, but they are taking this testing way to far. Who is paying for all these tests? I know we all will be in do time.
You answered your own question. The NCAA schools. But they have the $$$. High schools don't. That is why there MAY be college and pro football. But 0% chance of HS football.

These are fair points but with respect to comparing states like NY to Fl & TX we need to note that Florida & TX will have to have a lot more deaths over the next 6 months just to catch up with NY.

Deaths per One Million People:
NY = 1612
Fl = 155
TX = 79

And I think it's reasonable to assume that the collateral damage from shutting things done will end up being a lot less in Fl & TX then in NY. And that collateral damage may ultimately prove to be as bad or even worse then that caused by the virus.

I get why folks are panicking at the case load surges in Fl & TX but looking at all the data these two states have done a lot better then places like NY & NJ.
Even the NY numbers are skewed as a result of NYC. It's hard to imagine a more perfect or deadly setting for the virus to take an initial foothold than NYC which is basically an island with a huge, densely packed population and more international travel than probably Los Angeles and Washington DC combined! And remember, Cuomo is getting a lot of accolades now, but he was slow to put his foot to the pedal when the virus first began to spread. Hopefully Fl and TX and other states have learned from what NY and other states have gone through in the area of tracking, etc. You have to be concerned about Florida though if for no other reason than its large retiree population. That is NOT the segment of our population that has fared well with this virus.

I'm sorry, but they are taking this testing way to far. Who is paying for all these tests? I know we all will be in do time.

Right now I would guess it's the school's athletic departments. Every pro leagues making players get tested as well. Eventually those costs will be passed on to the consumer. Might not be this year being that it's looking more and more like fans will not be part of the equation.

I believe they're taking it serious because that's what the so called experts are telling them is necessary. Really doubt they're looking to message boards for advice which is a shame because there are a ton of public heath experts on here.

You answered your own question. The NCAA schools. But they have the $$$. High schools don't. That is why there MAY be college and pro football. But 0% chance of HS football.
Haven't you learned anything posting on here over past 4 years? 0% is a too absolute. Use 1% so you have some wiggle room!

I don't question re-opening. We had to do that. But it's the how we did it and are doing it. And because of that we are heading south and may have to shut down again. When they put out the guidelines for reopening by phases and benchmarks, those were pretty much ignored from the beginning. And the leadership at every level regarding the guidelines given to re-opening was pathetic.

For those interested in the numbers and underlining science here's some good news from the covid front:

The most critical part of this review is their evidence that we've been grossly over counting covid deaths.

A review of Minnesota deaths through late May, for instance, found that of 741 registered COVID-19 deaths, fewer than 41% listed it as a “primary cause.” By that standard, George Floyd, who died in police custody and tested positive for the Wuhan coronavirus, could have been counted as a COVID-19 fatality had his death not been so well publicized.

Another interesting tidbit:

Goldman Sachs’ state-level tracker shows similar trends. The volume of coronavirus tests has risen 23% in the past two weeks, but positive results have increased just 1.3 percentage points to 6.2%. Meanwhile, deaths have fallen over the past two weeks by 12%.

Greenville County School District (largest school district in South Carolina) just announced they are shutting down summer workouts until July 20th.

Texas is shutting down future reopening plans and hospitals are stopping elective surgeries again. Seriously, this has gone too far.

For those interested in the numbers and underlining science here's some good news from the covid front:

The most critical part of this review is their evidence that we've been grossly over counting covid deaths.

A review of Minnesota deaths through late May, for instance, found that of 741 registered COVID-19 deaths, fewer than 41% listed it as a “primary cause.” By that standard, George Floyd, who died in police custody and tested positive for the Wuhan coronavirus, could have been counted as a COVID-19 fatality had his death not been so well publicized.

Another interesting tidbit:

Goldman Sachs’ state-level tracker shows similar trends. The volume of coronavirus tests has risen 23% in the past two weeks, but positive results have increased just 1.3 percentage points to 6.2%. Meanwhile, deaths have fallen over the past two weeks by 12%.
mn_excessdeathes.PNG

Whether it was listed as primary cause or not, excess mortality in Minnesota was at least +10% (about +1000 deaths per week) for May.

Maybe it was the mosquitoes?

View attachment 7986

Whether it was listed as primary cause or not, excess mortality in Minnesota was at least +10% (about +1000 deaths per week) for May.

Maybe it was the mosquitoes?

Or maybe all that happened in Minnesota was that nursing home deaths that would have naturally happened from May to December were all concentrated in May.

We know that in May a staggering 81% of all Minnesota covid19 deaths were among nursing home residents.

And given that the average life expectancy of someone entering a nursing home is a little over 13 months with the medium being 5 months, it's safe to assume that most of these deaths would have occurred for reasons other then covid19 over the next 8 months.

So yea given that almost half of all covid deaths in America have been in nursing homes is the increase in total deaths simply cramming 6 - 12 months worth of deaths into 3 months?

Sure covid19 may be nudging people who were going to die into the grave a little bit sooner then otherwise would have happened. But this is an important distinction when looking at the true virulence of this virus.

"In December medical experts said this was nothing to worry about."

Given the virus was discovered that month, and the analogous virus' were SARS and MERS which had little impact on the U.S. and our history of reaction well to contagions like those and H1N1, that was probably reasonable.

"In March it was going to wipe out a large portion of our country in 30 days."

Excess mortality in the U.S. in April was roughly +30% (about 15,000 deaths per week above average). That was with mitigation that began in stages in March.

"In June the same experts suggest safe practices and recommend good health choices to control it. Lots of changes have been made. Of course we have learned a lot too."

Are you saying, what we know now, we should have known then?

Also, thanks for a good faith discussion.
The virus was first known in Nov and the experts had the same statements in Dec and Jan.

15,000 per week may be more than what actually happened according to the CDC. And most of the people involved in mitigation were never affected since a high volume of the numbers were people in correctional facilities and assisted health care facilities.

I'm saying we knew nothing then but we have facts and data now so the experts comments have changed.

Maybe for the NCAA. But they have way more $$$ and resources to draw from to help them manage trying to pull it off than High Schools.
And they have to deal with travel plans across state lines, over night facilities, massive crowds and huge work forces. High schools can run a much more confined practice and game with much less chance of contact and spread. Specially with smaller contact pool in a smaller community.

Gee, thanks, I didn't realize. There are also not specific guidelines in place for pneumonia like there will be with COVID, so I fail to see your comparison with pneumonia.
You're welcome. Glad I could help you. There may be now but I doubt there will be a Covid protocol forever like there is concussion and heat stroke.

Or maybe all that happened in Minnesota was that nursing home deaths that would have naturally happened from May to December were all concentrated in May.

We know that in May a staggering 81% of all Minnesota covid19 deaths were among nursing home residents.

And given that the average life expectancy of someone entering a nursing home is a little over 13 months with the medium being 5 months, it's safe to assume that most of these deaths would have occurred for reasons other then covid19 over the next 8 months.

So yea given that almost half of all covid deaths in America have been in nursing homes is the increase in total deaths simply cramming 6 - 12 months worth of deaths into 3 months?

Sure covid19 may be nudging people who were going to die into the grave a little bit sooner then otherwise would have happened. But this is an important distinction when looking at the true virulence of this virus.

People over 75 make up 80% of total deaths every year.

And they have to deal with travel plans across state lines, over night facilities, massive crowds and huge work forces. High schools can run a much more confined practice and game with much less chance of contact and spread. Specially with smaller contact pool in a smaller community.
Wash, rinse repeat. 1. But they have no one willing to step, put THEIR neck on the line and own any consequence to giving the full go on playing games. 2. If a player gets covid = quarantine, contact trace: their teachers, their classmates, their teammates, their coaches, their families, etc.. And that is not going to happen. Game over.

If they are so worried about kids testing positive, then don't even bother opening. Everyone knows there are going to be some positive tests. Toughen up, it not that bad. My goodness are the higher ups soft

People over 75 make up 80% of total deaths every year.

That's true but in the case of your example, which was for May in Minnesota, we may be seeing a super concentration of nursing home deaths that would have occurred over the next 8 months. Bottom line is that 81% of covid deaths were in nursing homes in May. So any covid death boost over the background in Minnesota in May had to be driven by nursing home deaths.

Even worse these deaths may have been largely self inflicted. The incomprehensible practice of placing covid infected people in nursing homes likely contributed to this number.

That's true but in the case of your example, which was for May in Minnesota, we may be seeing a super concentration of nursing home deaths that would have occurred over the next 8 months. Bottom line is that 81% of covid deaths were in nursing homes in May. So any covid death boost over the background in Minnesota in May had to be driven by nursing home deaths.

Even worse these deaths may have been largely self inflicted. The incomprehensible practice of placing covid infected people in nursing homes likely contributed to this number.
I haven't seen any data that says death rates by age group are abnormal for COVID

For 2018
Age Group---Deaths per 100K---Percentage
85+----------13573---------------63.07%
75-84--------4472----------------20.78%
65-74--------1790 ----------------8.32%
55-64--------885------------------4.11%
45-54--------401------------------1.86%
35-44--------195------------------0.91%
25-34--------132------------------0.61%
15-24--------74-------------------0.34%

The incomprehensible practice of placing covid infected people in nursing homes likely contributed to this number.

Agree, not a smart decision. I hadn't seen any reporting of that being the case outside of NJ, NY, and CA.

Wash, rinse repeat. 1. But they have no one willing to step, put THEIR neck on the line and own any consequence to giving the full go on playing games. 2. If a player gets covid = quarantine, contact trace: their teachers, their classmates, their teammates, their coaches, their families, etc.. And that is not going to happen. Game over.
As of June 25th, when did they announce the season was canceled? Keep guessing.

I haven't seen any data that says death rates by age group are abnormal for COVID

For 2018
Age Group---Deaths per 100K---Percentage
85+----------13573---------------63.07%
75-84--------4472----------------20.78%
65-74--------1790 ----------------8.32%
55-64--------885------------------4.11%
45-54--------401------------------1.86%
35-44--------195------------------0.91%
25-34--------132------------------0.61%
15-24--------74-------------------0.34%

The incomprehensible practice of placing covid infected people in nursing homes likely contributed to this number.

Agree, not a smart decision. I hadn't seen any reporting of that being the case outside of NJ, NY, and CA.

I assume those are yearly numbers not monthly. My point is that the epidemic has concentrated these deaths into a much shorter period of time then normally would have occurred, leading to blips in the data.

As for placing infected patients back in nursing homes - I see it at as bordering on criminal negligence. What could have possibly possessed them to do it.

I’ll never say never but it’s going to take a whole lot for fall sports to suddenly get walked back to not happening. Idk who’s neck is on the line besides the family willing to let kids play. I would say any kid willing to VOLUNTEER to play ball will assume the risk. As long as our governor opens up the state to contact sports, then there will be football.

As of June 25th, when did they announce the season was canceled? Keep guessing.
I'm seeing the numbers getting worse every day. We have/are shooting ourselves in the foot. This thing is spreading like wildfire and shows no signs of stopping. We are just not equipped to handle this. We have let our guard down and opened the wrong way. And now we will pay. The clock is ticking and time is running out. And schools still have NO idea what they are going to do. So how can football? Not a guess. Using something called common sense.

Uh, we are at 892 today, 4th highest since this all started...we are about to be not in a world of hurt, but a world of panic.

Then you have this going on with the NFL...

If NFL isn't essential, what do you think HS is? As much as football is my concern, I think getting shutdown again could really happen now, our numbers are about to take off. If you live in Cincy, forget it.

I'm seeing the numbers getting worse every day. We have/are shooting ourselves in the foot. This thing is spreading like wildfire and shows no signs of stopping. We are just not equipped to handle this. We have let our guard down and opened the wrong way. And now we will pay. The clock is ticking and time is running out. And schools still have NO idea what they are going to do. So how can football? Not a guess. Using something called common sense.
You just don't quit. Let our guard down, and open the wrong way? We should have never closed to begin with. This is obviously, a government mess. I just can't believe how easy people are minipulated, by the fear mongering media

You just don't quit. Let our guard down, and open the wrong way? We should have never closed to begin with. This is obviously, a government mess. I just can't believe how easy people are minipulated, by the fear mongering media

He's right. We probably shouldn't have opened up as quick as we did as much I love the opportunity to coach, have a few drinks on a bar's patio, go to the store. As much as people can complain about protests and what not, we have kids gathering all across the state, no masks, working out, which in reality is probably more dangerous with these new stats coming out. I have no solution to the issue, but you know, think about if summer conditioning is closing down some summer activities, what plan is in place if one student at a school has Covid? Whole school shuts down? It is such a mess and I don't even know how admins could have even close to a solution. So many people vacationing in the SE as well...keep in mind, we anticipated cases and hospitalizations to fall in the Summer, instead we are seeing an incredible surge, that's not good.

He's right. We probably shouldn't have opened up as quick as we did as much I love the opportunity to coach, have a few drinks on a bar's patio, go to the store. As much as people can complain about protests and what not, we have kids gathering all across the state, no masks, working out, which in reality is probably more dangerous with these new stats coming out. I have no solution to the issue, but you know, think about if summer conditioning is closing down some summer activities, what plan is in place if one student at a school has Covid? Whole school shuts down? It is such a mess and I don't even know how admins could have even close to a solution. So many people vacationing in the SE as well...keep in mind, we anticipated cases and hospitalizations to fall in the Summer, instead we are seeing an incredible surge, that's not good.
Incredible surge in positive cases? Asymptomatic cases?

We are certainly not seeing a surge in deaths. Nor are we seeing a surge in critical care from illnesses. If the only thing people look at is a slight spike in positive cases, then we haven’t learned anything over the course of five months.

This seems to be an “I told you so” moment from the people screaming for more testing. Just think if we tested for all viruses like this. The world would be full of more hypochondriacs than we already have.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, and you are not going to change how I feel. But We do agree that it would be awesome if we were fortunate enough to have Ohio HS football this year.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, and you are not going to change how I feel. But We do agree that it would be awesome if we were fortunate enough to have Ohio HS football this year.
They have to loosin up the guidelines, but the uppers are scared. No football will spell trouble this fall. Maybe we will have some riots. Lol