OHSAA Updates - April 30th

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
1588298049604.png

Last edited:

Looks like they closed a couple newly created loopholes for the off-season. A team that did not have a scrimmage or game would have been able to compete in the Fall together without observing the 50% rule because none of the players would have been recognized as members of the team. It also affects transfers that are now considered to have played that sport at their prior school if they made the team.

I don't like that. For example, for baseball if kids wanted in the fall play together what does that hurt? Also a kid should be able to transfer this spring without sitting out, they didn't have any games.

Yea I don't think the transfer things going to fly. And realistically, if things can go in the fall, let whoever play together. Make it a one time waiver or something.

I have a real tough time understanding the complete shut down of things for student athletes. Look at the statistics. The covid virus does not affect people under 40 years old. Unless you have some kind of physical issue or have respitory problems, this will not make you sick. You will likely not even realize you have it, or that you HAD it already. Why take a summer of activities away from kids? This is government overstepping their bounds, and not realizing the mistake they made so they just keep going along with this. Yes, don't invite grandma and grandpa to the summer games, but this is absolutely not necessary.

^^ That is exactly why it is important. You might not realize you had it, but if you still have it, you can still give it to other people who MAY be at risk for complications. Let's make sure to think of others.

^^ That is exactly why it is important. You might not realize you had it, but if you still have it, you can still give it to other people who MAY be at risk for complications. Let's make sure to think of others.

And until there is a vaccine, it will still spread. Seems to me that if you are at risk or think you are at risk, shelter at home until the vaccine is available. It may be harsh, but people die every day from all kinds of things.

If we believe we must save every life, then let's go all in and save every one we can.

Start with the low hanging fruit, outlaw motorcycles. That would save 100 - 200 lives in Ohio, every year.

For the last time, and the Kentucky Governor articulated this accurately (one of the few things that I agree with him on ): If you are one of the vulnerable (i.e. elderly, diabetic, morbidly obese, extremely high blood pressure, bad asthma , etc.) you are going to have to self quarantine until there is a vaccine or this thing goes away. That means STAY IN THE HOUSE and you cannot meet with your grandchildren or maybe even your children. If you do, you do at your risk. That way a child cannot give it to you because you are not in contact with them. I am sorry but that is how this is going to go. I told my dad that last night . (He is 83). Unless they get a vaccine together (highly doubtful that this ever happens (see cold vaccine)) or I test positive for the antibody test (I guess this has not been FDA approved yet), I and my kids will not be visiting my parents. That way, I cannot be responsible for infecting them. Otherwise, I will be shopping, working, running and having beers with neighbors on a weekly basis.

Looks like they closed a couple newly created loopholes for the off-season. A team that did not have a scrimmage or game would have been able to compete in the Fall together without observing the 50% rule because none of the players would have been recognized as members of the team. It also affects transfers that are now considered to have played that sport at their prior school if they made the team.
But they did extend the season until August 31 for the more than 50% player rule and school coaches coaching. That is a positive move. And after listening Dewine today, I think it is possible that he can change some of these orders as he sees fit. If one strips out the care facilities and the jails we only had 98 new cases yesterday and that is a positive thing.