Will there be a season?

OHSAA should have Cancelled Spring Sports today along with Winter. If MLB is talking about July 1st,no way High School plays this yr. Supposedly the “experts” say the amount of Positive Budweiser Virus cases will really increase in the next few weeks so the chances of High School Baseball starting by April 10th is really slim to none.

OHSAA should have Cancelled Spring Sports today along with Winter. If MLB is talking about July 1st,no way High School plays this yr. Supposedly the “experts” say the amount of Positive Budweiser Virus cases will really increase in the next few weeks so the chances of High School Baseball starting by April 10th is really slim to none.
I concur.
Ohio was to have 100K cases about a month ago and growing. By my predictions we should ahve around a billion Ohioans with this highly deadly virus and around a million deaths by the end of May.

In today's briefing, Governor DeWine said the latest estimates suggest COVID-19 will not peak until mid-May, and that the next two weeks are going to get much worse. The state is being broken up into regions, each of which will have a rough draft on his desk tomorrow morning to outline their plans to gain hospital beds as the projection is that we will be vastly short of what will be needed.

They are not doing enough testing and Dr. Acton's models are not matching up with her predictions They really don't know how many have or had the virus (just as important) and where the hot spots are. She said two weeks ago that 100K had the virus and with death rate of 3% we were looking at 3k dead already. Test more, do the epidemiology, strategically target areas or this is not going to work. Carpet bombing the sate with shut downs is not going to work in the long run.

In today's briefing, Governor DeWine said the latest estimates suggest COVID-19 will not peak until mid-May, and that the next two weeks are going to get much worse. The state is being broken up into regions, each of which will have a rough draft on his desk tomorrow morning to outline their plans to gain hospital beds as the projection is that we will be vastly short of what will be needed.

This is Ohio State University's projections. They are saying a peak in about two weeks. This one also says things will get much worse but the timeline appears much shorter than what DeWine believes.

Personally, I trust Ohio State's projection more than I trust DeWine's.

So long story short, no spring sports and we're looking at maybe having to shorten fall sports as well if everything goes well. It sucks but it's a sacrifice worth making if it keeps people alive

So long story short, no spring sports and we're looking at maybe having to shorten fall sports as well if everything goes well. It sucks but it's a sacrifice worth making if it keeps people alive
I cannot fathom the thought that thr restrictions last through the fall but then again I never thought so many would be subservient to giving up our rights.

I just don't see this extending past the summer. The numbers are going to nowhere reach the fear mongering stats they first put out andAmericans won't stand for it.

I know Herbsteit gave an interview stating he thinks there will be no NFL or college this fall and I think that is insane

I cannot fathom the thought that thr restrictions last through the fall but then again I never thought so many would be subservient to giving up our rights.

I just don't see this extending past the summer. The numbers are going to nowhere reach the fear mongering stats they first put out andAmericans won't stand for it.

I know Herbsteit gave an interview stating he thinks there will be no NFL or college this fall and I think that is insane
Giving up your right??? Lol

Giving up your right??? Lol

It's my God damn right to endanger the innocent people around me so I can watch 16 year old kids play baseball!! The even worse part is these people are going to see the numbers fall lower than were projected because of the drastic measures that have been taken and react to it like it was no big issue at all. Another Y2K scenario, where the work done to prevent a catastrophy is overlooked and all people remember is the end result being less than the warnings projected

This is Ohio State University's projections. They are saying a peak in about two weeks. This one also says things will get much worse but the timeline appears much shorter than what DeWine believes.

View attachment 6494
If this graph is true...

you look at mid May in your graph its exactly when the Dewine peak is supposed to happen for the stupid Ohioans that have no idea what that means. I really think most Ohioans don't know why they are flattening the curve or that the peak means we are it its worst...not the end. I've read so many stupid comments on twitter and facebook that flattening the curve will get us back to normal as fast as possible. Its the total opposite...its about not overwhealming the hospitals with a spike of patients.

View attachment 6494

Incidentally, the projection DeWine was referring to the other day was a model produced by the Cleveland Clinic. There is at least some science behind it.

With Trump's edict last night that he is extending social isolation until the end of April put he writing on the wall.

Man, I feel horrible for those seniors who will not have a last season, or a last game. It's gone. It's done.

Mike DeWine this morning: "If we're playing by July, we'll be lucky."

Granted, he was discussing Minor League baseball, not High School, but it's still foreshadowing.

Again, nothing new that we didn't know, but this is the latest I've heard from him in regards to sports.

It will be interesting to see how things play out these next couple of weeks. Nothing should be written in stone by anyone for something that is over a month away at this point.

It will be interesting to see how things play out these next couple of weeks. Nothing should be written in stone by anyone for something that is over a month away at this point.
Agree. But I'm still shocked he hasn't pushed back the back-to-school date. There is 0% chance kids are back in school a week from today. The earlier he makes that next move, the earlier the OHSAA has an idea what they can or cannot do.

Agree. But I'm still shocked he hasn't pushed back the back-to-school date. There is 0% chance kids are back in school a week from today. The earlier he makes that next move, the earlier the OHSAA has an idea what they can or cannot do.
I project Supreme Leader DeWine will extend it by 3 more weeks, with an eye on possibly going back May 1 and exnting school through June because, well, he can.

I project Supreme Leader DeWine will extend it by 3 more weeks, with an eye on possibly going back May 1 and exnting school through June because, well, he can.
I think he will extend the school closures to May 1st but I don't think he will extend the school year. I'm guessing most schools will do their schooling online and kids will end their year at the same time as normal.

Now that Trump has extended social distancing guidelines to last until April 30, the order by DeWine to extend school closures will follow.

I think he will extend the school closures to May 1st but I don't think he will extend the school year. I'm guessing most schools will do their schooling online and kids will end their year at the same time as normal.
Isn't everybody doing online schooling now?

Isn't everybody doing online schooling now?
Not sure. I would assume most are but since there are some issues with poorer districts with students that don't have internet access, some might not be yet.

I know that our local school took the week off before Spring Break and used calamity days. Then had Spring Break off. Today was the first day of online schooling.

Not sure. I would assume most are but since there are some issues with poorer districts with students that don't have internet access, some might not be yet.

I know that our local school took the week off before Spring Break and used calamity days. Then had Spring Break off. Today was the first day of online schooling.
Wow. Our school anticipated DeWine and had already scheduled Friday the 13th for teacher meetings about online schooling. There were more meetings starting Monday and online schooling started ASAP. So we're into our third week.

Wow. Our school anticipated DeWine and had already scheduled Friday the 13th for teacher meetings about online schooling. There were more meetings starting Monday and online schooling started ASAP. So we're into our third week.
No Spring Break?

That Friday the 13th, all the school supplies and computers were passed out but they still had teacher meetings during the next week. With no snow days this year and our school having well over the minimum hours for the school year, they decided to take a break for that week. Fortunately, it was a mild Winter for cancellations.

DeWine just announced schools are closed until May 1.
Figured as much after Trump stated last night.

It will be "at least" May 1. Any chances they would extend the school year?

Unfortunately, I believe the season is now over and the OHSAA just had to wait for this announcement.

Extremely sad for those Seniors who never get their last season, and to make matters worse there is nothing more.......you dont have a next sport to move on to.

I still remember the wee hours of the morning after our last game as Seniors, when it hit us that we were done, and things really would never be the same again. That was tough, really tough especially after playing ball with the same kids for 12 years.

Figured as much after Trump stated last night.

It will be "at least" May 1. Any chances they would extend the school year?

Unfortunately, I believe the season is now over and the OHSAA just had to wait for this announcement.

Extremely sad for those Seniors who never get their last season, and to make matters worse there is nothing more.......you dont have a next sport to move on to.

I still remember the wee hours of the morning after our last game as Seniors, when it hit us that we were done, and things really would never be the same again. That was tough, really tough especially after playing ball with the same kids for 12 years.

This will be even tougher on these seniors as this is a sudden end....... that had no beginning.

As the OHSAA mentioned in their last press conference, even if schools are closed until May 1, there is still a chance at a spring sports season. They alluded to already having a plan and/or dates in place if that were the case. This tweet moments ago confirms that:

.@GovMikeDeWine has announced schools will continue with “distance learning” through May 1. As previously announced, there cannot be school sports if school facilities are not open. #OHSAA staff & @Jerry_Snodgrass will send update to schools with adjusted spring sports timeline

However, if we go any past that, I agree, spring sports are toast. (and I think that is likely, but still holding out a sliver of hope)