Teams of the decades

What year did the Bonner(sp) twins play? They looked like the Globe Trotters.

The Bodnar twins and Carter Scott graduated in 1977. Mark and Marty went on to Michigan, while Scott went to OSU. Barberton won the state title in 1976 (82-70 against Middletown), but lost in the finals in 1977 (80-74 to Columbus Linden McKinley). The final's loss snapped the Magics' 51 game winning streak!

McKinley was 23-1 in 1976 with there only loss to Barberton.McKinley had the lead at Half time but the Magics shot out the lights in the 2nd half like I have never seen before.

McKinley was ranked #1 in the AP poll that year.

McKinley was 23-1 in 1976 with there only loss to Barberton.McKinley had the lead at Half time but the Magics shot out the lights in the 2nd half like I have never seen before.

McKinley was ranked #1 in the AP poll that year.

That Magics' team could certainly shoot! There was another pair of brothers who filled out the starting five; Harold and Fred Grisby. Who was on that Bulldog team? Sounds like there was plenty of talent on both sides of the court that evening!

That Magics' team could certainly shoot! There was another pair of brothers who filled out the starting five; Harold and Fred Grisby. Who was on that Bulldog team? Sounds like there was plenty of talent on both sides of the court that evening!

Played on the 1975 State Semi-finals team also,who beat Barberton 91-73.

Elmer Jackson
Roy Groce
Len Washington
Carl McKenzie
Lonnie Richardson
Allan Myles
Stan Brooks
Bill Poulos
Ray Ellis (Went on to play in the NFL)

Other players.....

Jonathan Johnson
Kevin Jackson
Kevin Knox
Melvin Weatherspoon
Mike Elliot
Brainard Reed
DeWayne Broyles

Canton McKinley 1974,75,76

1974 State Runner-ups (25-1)
1975 State Semi-finals (23-2)
1976 (23-1)

1974,75,and 76 (71-4)

McKinley was favored coming into that big 1976 game with Barberton.But the Magic's up-set McKinley 77-70.

Then went on to win the State Championship in 1976 and undeafeted in 1977 only to get upset in the State Championship game breaking there 51 game winning streak.

Canton McKinley continued.....

5 time undefeated season"s

30 time 20 wins(or more) season's.

17 time a single loss season

Canton McKinley continued......

Ohio's #1 ranked all-time winning basketball program.

104 winning season's(Most in USA)

#1 in overall winning % of top teams in the USA.

With the void in the basketball season upon us, I thought I'd resurrect a couple of old threads to see if anyone wanted to add to the lists. Who would you add as the teams of the 2010 decade?

McKinley’s extended run is just unbelievable. I believe they had a run from the early 70s to the late 00s of having at least one alum in the NBA that entire stretch. I believe it included these players:

Nick Weatherspoon
Phil Hubbard
Gary Grant
Eric Snow
Michael Hawkins
Keith McLeod

With the basketball season getting under way, I'd like to look back a little bit! I am interested in who you would list as the teams of the decades. Help me fill in the schedule below! I've listed my ideas of schools and I have not included the 2010's since they aren't over yet! Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, let me stress 2 points: (1) I am NOT a high school basketball historian by ANY stretch of the imagination; and (2) my knowledge of basketball outside of NEO is pitiful! Given that, who would you include/exclude?

1950's (1)Middletown (2)Cleveland East Tech (3)Lockland Wayne
1960's (1)Middletown (2)Columbus East (3)Akron Central
1970's (1)Cincinnati Elder (2)Canton McKinley (3)Barberton
1980's (1)Canton McKinley (2)Central Hower (3)Wehrle
1990's (1)VASJ (2)Benedictine (3)
2000's (1)ASTVM (2)Canton McKinley (3)Dayton Dunbar/
N. College Hill
You’re going to leave out Lima Central Catholic? 4 appearances and 3 state championships in the decade.

You’re going to leave out Lima Central Catholic? 4 appearances and 3 state championships in the decade.
I hadn't listed any teams for the 2010's, yet. But I agree that Lima Catholic should be on that list. (Somewhere behind STVM;))

I would suggest the teams of the 2010's decade: STVM, VASJ, Lima Central Catholic.
That is a fine and exclusive club. Thank you for not including that mercenary, private school that is located in Lakewood. They do not belong in this CHAMPIONSHIP group.

I’d give an honorable mention nod to Hamilton for the 1950’s (won state in ‘54, lost state in ‘51.) The “Big Blue” used to be a cage powerhouse.

Regarding the 1960’s: Columbus East was more dominant than Middletown.
Typical Big Blue fan : )

I’d give an honorable mention nod to Hamilton for the 1950’s (won state in ‘54, lost state in ‘51.) The “Big Blue” used to be a cage powerhouse.

One of the very best all time teams Ever in Ohio

What was that league that Middletown, Hamilton, I think Lima and maybe Springfield were in?

With the basketball season getting under way, I'd like to look back a little bit! I am interested in who you would list as the teams of the decades. Help me fill in the schedule below! I've listed my ideas of schools and I have not included the 2010's since they aren't over yet! Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, let me stress 2 points: (1) I am NOT a high school basketball historian by ANY stretch of the imagination; and (2) my knowledge of basketball outside of NEO is pitiful! Given that, who would you include/exclude?

1950's (1)Middletown (2)Cleveland East Tech (3)Lockland Wayne
1960's (1)Middletown (2)Columbus East (3)Akron Central
1970's (1)Cincinnati Elder (2)Canton McKinley (3)Barberton
1980's (1)Canton McKinley (2)Central Hower (3)Wehrle
1990's (1)VASJ (2)Benedictine (3)
2000's (1)ASTVM (2)Canton McKinley (3)Dayton Dunbar/
N. College Hill

Moeller has to be in the 00's -10's with 5 titles since 1999, tied for #1 in Ohio, (6 including them being 2020 Pool champs and rightfully being declared this yr state D1 champs). BTW, 6 titles will give them the all-time titles in Ohio.

That is a fine and exclusive club. Thank you for not including that mercenary, private school that is located in Lakewood. They do not belong in this CHAMPIONSHIP group.
VASJ is winning D4 titles, they would not compete vs D1 teams that is for sure, VASJ has lost 14 in a row to Ed's so you might beat up the little sisters of the poor you don't win vs the big teams from D1. Back in the day at least you competed in D1 most of your recent titles are D4 I believe when you moved up to D3 and D2 you haven't won anything. Can you imagine if some D1 teams got to move down and play D4 teams? They would win it every year.