Championship Quarters
106: Magness dec Parker Lee (Butler) 4-0
113: Doepker tech fall Cameron Chaney (Trenton Edgewood) 19-1
126: Collins dec Nolan Moore (Moeller) 7-1
132: Kaimann lost pin Josue Dawson (Princeton) 1:05
145: Lambers lost pin Clyde Wells (Tecumseh) 3:16
152: Thomas tech fall Zaine Brewer (Lakota West) 17-1

Consolation Round 1
120: Roth forfeited to Josie Davis (Sidney)
138: Williams lost dec Blake Brown (Springfield) 12-5
160: Barrett pin Evan Thompson (Kettering Fairmont) 0:46
170: Weber lost pin Liam Hamill (Loveland) 1:45
182: Klayman dec Enrique Mendiola (Princeton) 13-11
195: Tucker dec Todd Watson (Colerain) 5-0
220: Mitchell lost pin Tressel Cochran (Springfield) 2:39
285: Tolbert pin Sawyer Bowin (Loveland) 1:52

Last edited:
Mason has this history of great kids missing weight big time. Six over! Hahahaha
.6 over not 6 lbs . Unfortunate for a young man to end a career that way ! I don’t find it amusing . Roth had to double default out due too illness , I would hope another grown man/ woman wouldn’t find humor in his misfortunes !

After Day 1 of the District meet, the Panthers have 50.0 points and are tied with Centerville for third place behind leader Springboro (72.0) and second place Beavercreek (50.5). LaSalle has 49.5 points and Lebanon has 45.0 points.
Four Panthers – Magness (106), Doepker (113), Collins (126), and Thomas (152) - are in the championship semis, while six others – Kaimann (132), Lambers (145), Barrett (160), Klayman (182), Tucker (195), and Tolbert (285) - are still alive in the consolation bracket and in the hunt for a third place finish.
The action resumes tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.

After Day 1 of the District meet, the Panthers have 50.0 points and are tied with Centerville for third place behind leader Springboro (72.0) and second place Beavercreek (50.5). LaSalle has 49.5 points and Lebanon has 45.0 points.
Four Panthers – Magness (106), Doepker (113), Collins (126), and Thomas (152) - are in the championship semis, while six others – Kaimann (132), Lambers (145), Barrett (160), Klayman (182), Tucker (195), and Tolbert (285) - are still alive in the consolation bracket and in the hunt for a third place finish.
The action resumes tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.

Thanks for the Updates! Keep grinding boys, it will all be worth it!!!

Kettering Fairmont District Tournament - Day 2

Consolation Round 2

132: Kaimann lost dec Lucas Rodgers (Tecumseh) 6-4
145: Lambers pin Nolan Fitz (Mason) 4:02
160: Barrett lost dec Carlos Quintero (Troy) 5-1
182: Klayman lost dec Isaiah Benson (Northwest) 9-5
195: Tucker lost pin Phillip Tracey (Clayton Northmont) 1:48
285: Tolbert lost dec Vincent Munlin (Princeton) 10-4

After Consolation Round 3
(1) Springboro 79.0
(2) Beavercreek 57.5
(3) Elder 53.0
(4) LaSalle 51.5
(5) Centerville 50.0

Go Panthers!

Last edited:
Championship Semifinals
106: Magness lost dec Brandon Mitchell (Oak Hills) 6-5
113: Doepker lost dec Damion Ryan (Centerville) 3-0
126: Collins dec Matt Verdes (Butler) 8-6
152: Thomas lost dec Andrew Knick (Clayton Northmont) 4-2

Consolation Round 3 (win = will place, will wrestle a semifinal loser in the next round)
145: Lambers lost pin Tim Smith (Colerain) 4:22

12:50
(1) Springboro 107.5
(2) LaSalle 93.5
(3) Centerville 83.0
(4) Beavercreek 74.5
(5) Butler 69.0
(6) Elder 64.0

Last edited:
Championship Semifinals

106: Magness lost dec Brandon Mitchell (Oak Hills) 6-5
113: Doepker lost dec Damion Ryan (Centerville) 3-0

126: Collins vs Matt Verdes (Butler)

152: Thomas vs Andrew Knick (Clayton Northmont)

Consolation Round 3 (win = will place, will wrestle a semifinal loser in the next round)
145: Lambers vs Tim Smith (Colerain)

Worst officiating I have ever seen in the 106 match... Zero chance that kid deserved that.... Gift.

Worst officiating I have ever seen in the 106 match... Zero chance that kid deserved that.... Gift.
I’ve felt that way many times ! Best advice to give a wrestler, as a parent or a coach. Never ever leave a match in the hands of a referee! Just going to end up losing more then winning!

Consolation Semifinals aka “The Blood Round” (win = will wrestle for third but regardless of the outcome of that match he’s going to the Schott; loss = will wrestle for fifth but no trip to the Schott)

106: Magness dec Jacob Philbeck (West Carrollton) 5-4
113: Doepker tech fall Hayden Hollis (Springboro) 15-0
152: Thomas dec Judah Thomas (Middletown) 8-5

These three Panthers, along with Collins who is in the 126 championship match, will be going to the Schott next week!!

2:14
(1) Springboro 118.5
(2) LaSalle 104.5
(3) Beavercreek 98.0
(4) Centerville 83.0
(5) Wayne 82.0
(6) Lebanon 80.5
(7) Butler/Elder 75.5

Last edited:
State Qualifiers
Championship Finals
126: Collins lost maj dec Antoine Allen (Princeton) 19-6

For Third Place
106: Magness dec Parker Lee (Butler) 5-4
113: Doepker tech fall Jack McCall (Lebanon) 19-4
152: Thomas defaulted to Avery Bair (Centerville)

6:47
(1) Springboro 124.5
(2) LaSalle 116.5
(3) Lebanon 104.5
(4) Beavercreek 104.0
(5) Centerville 99.0
(6) Elder 85.0

Last edited:
Huge congrats to the four Panther grapplers who placed at Kettering and will be going to the Schott next week! They are Magness (third 106), Doepker (third 113), Collins (second 126), and Thomas (fourth 152). Collins will be making his third straight trip to the Schott, while this will be the second trip for Doepker (in ’18 he finished eighth at 106). For Magness and Thomas, this will be their first trip to the Schott (but hopefully not the last).
Props also to the ten other Panthers who represented Elder at Kettering: Roth, Kaimann, Williams, Lambers, Barrett, Weber, Klayman, Tucker, Mitchell, and Tolbert. For some, this weekend marked the end of their season. But for Lambers, Barrett, Weber, Klayman, and Tolbert, it marked the end of their Elder wrestling careers. Best of luck to them in all their future endeavors.

LaSalle had seven wrestle at Kettering. Of those seven, five will be at the Schott: Norris (120, first), Wiles (132, second), Niffenegger (138, first), Walker (182, second), and Skinner (126, third).

Just a few sentences on the four Panthers who will be at the Schott this week.
106: Drew Magness, sophomore, 34-13 (I have him at 35-13 but, hey, what do I know?)
I haven’t done any research to back this up, but I would bet a dime to a dollar that Magness is a member of a distinct minority of all of this year’s state qualifiers, all divisions: he didn’t start wrestling until he started high school. Last year his math teacher was Coach Roush, who we can figure early every year is always on the lookout for possible recruits for the team. Roush suggested that Magness should give wrestling a look-see; Magness joined the team and tallied a 4-5 varsity record. This year, except for the Elder Duals where he wrestled 113, Magness has wrestled only at 106, and has wrestled in every tournament and meet. He finished third at Ryle, fourth at SWOWCA, fifth at the CIT, and fourth at the Rieman.
Magness is in the upper half of the bracket with freshman Chris Earnest (Wadsworth, 32-9, Mentor District champ) and senior Corey Crawford (Dublin Coffman, 31-11, Hilliard Darby District champ). Magness will square off with Elyria junior Colin Noel (Elyria, 31-7) in the opening round.
113: William Doepker, senior, 24-4 (23-5)
Doepker is making his second trip to the Schott; in ’18 he placed eighth at 106.
This year he wrestled once at 113, twice at 120, and once at 126 until Brecksville, where he wrestled 120. He suffered an injury at Brecksville and did not return until the Lakota East Sectional. Doepker finished second at Ryle, first at SWOWCA, and sixth at Brecksville.
Doepker is in the lower half of the bracket with junior Jacob Moon (Oregon Clay, 39-3, #14 nationally by InterMat, Perrysburg District champ, ’19 third at 113) and junior Dylan Le (Dublin Scioto, 37-11, Hilliard Darby District champ, ‘16 sixth at 106). Doepker will tangle with sophomore Corey Haney (Medina Highland, 29-12) in the opening round.
126: Jack Collins, senior, 42-8 (43-8)
This is the third straight year Collins has qualified for the Schott at 126.
Collins has wrestled in every tournament and meet this year, and other than the Elder Duals and Western Brown Dual, both of which he wrestled at 132, Collins has wrestled only at 126. He finished second at Ryle, third at SWOWCA, seventh at Brecksville, and second at the CIT and Rieman.
Collins is in the upper half of the bracket with senior Logan Agin (Lancaster, 45-2, #15 nationally by InterMat, Hilliard Darby District champ, ’19 second at 113, ’18 third at 106, and ’17 fourth at 106, Duke) and junior Colin Roberts (Austintown Fitch, 49-4, Mentor District champ). Collins will do battle with freshman Joey Blaze (Perrysburg, 41-5) in the opening round. This match will be the only Panther opening match that is a rematch: Collins lost 9-1 to Blaze in the quarters at Brecksville.
152: Bartley Thomas, sophomore, 33-14 (33-14)
This is Thomas’ first trip to the Schott. He didn’t wrestle at the Elder Duals (the only tournament or meet he didn't wrestle at this year), but starting with the Western Brown dual he wrestled mainly at 170 until the CIT, where he dropped down to 160. He stayed there until the GCL-S meet, where he wrestled at 152 against LaSalle. Thomas finished fourth at Ryle, sixth at SWOWCA, and third at the CIT and Rieman.
Thomas is in the upper half of the bracket with senior Daniel Patten (Stow-Munroe Falls, 39-5, ’19 fifth at 145, ’18 sixth at 138, Mentor District Champ, Cleveland State) and senior Andrew Knick (Clayton Northmont, 50-2, ’19 sixth at 145). Thomas will face Patten in the opening round.

The state wrestling tournament, along with all roundball and ice hockey action, have been postponed until further notice.
Press release coming soon.

Last edited:
it's all hype to overwhelm the system. "never let a crisis go unused ... " the powers in charge didn't do any of this 11 years ago when the H1N1 (swine-flu) was killing 100's of thousands of people around the world. just one story from 2012 -- https://abcnews.go.com/Health/swine-flu-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-15-times-higher/story?id=16646281 another one from the CDC in 2010 -- https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm ... "These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1." Do you remember any of this hysteria ?

it's all hype to overwhelm the system. "never let a crisis go unused ... " the powers in charge didn't do any of this 11 years ago when the H1N1 (swine-flu) was killing 100's of thousands of people around the world. just one story from 2012 -- https://abcnews.go.com/Health/swine-flu-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-15-times-higher/story?id=16646281 another one from the CDC in 2010 -- https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm ... "These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1." Do you remember any of this hysteria ?
Media is a different beast now than it was then. With everything going digital, people have to do what it takes to drive clicks and impressions on their sites. As messed up as that is

Are your #s confirmed? Not arguing just want to make sure before quoting.

A friend of mine (an engineer) that works at P&G just said that they (P&G) announced that everyone needs to work from home the rest of the month.

The sky is falling - The sky is falling ...

Last edited:
When it comes to these kind of things I rely on the word of the health professionals and statistics. I am guarded on what politicians and media say and present.

With that said I agree with the approach the health professionals are taking with containing and controlling the spread of the virus. And the biggest factor is the Fatality Rate. If we compare the fatality rate of the swine flu versus the coronavirus there is a huge difference. The swine flu had a fatality rate of .02%. So of the 60.1 million people who had the swine flu in the US from 2009-2010 12,649 died. The coronavirus has a current Fatality Rate of 3.6%. If the coronavirus was allowed to grow to that same number of 60.1 million infected over 2,160,000 Americans would die based on those projections.

Also the elderly are at a higher risk. Numbers coming out of China and Italy show a Fatality Rate over 20% for that group once infected.

So the best strategy is not to overreact. But to use facts and preventive measures to contain the spread of the virus. It also buys time to come up with a vaccine and best practices to treat those who have contracted the virus.

So I agree we should all stay calm and do what it takes to stay healthy. Good health to all.

Maybe not the time to discuss , however high school sports seasons are too long ! Football needs to be shortened to 8 games , then play offs . Wrestling season needs to begin dec 1st and end in February!

Great article ... sad for the boys not getting to compete ... I wish they would just push State out till 3rd week in May and hope the virus is on its way out. Weight loss will be tough but I’m sure all would take on that part of the sport for a few more months to try to get Name up on the Wall as a State placer. You may not be defined for getting name up there or not, but sure is a cool thing! Not having a chance to compete just stinks ! Go Panthers

Well, the wrestling season ended Thursday morning the way we all figured it would, with no tournament. Congrats again to the four state qualifiers: Magness, Doepker, Collins, and Thomas. Sadly, they’ll never know what they would have done at the Schott, what a huge disappointment for them. While Magness and Thomas will return next season, last Thursday marked the end of the Elder wrestling careers for Doepker and Collins.
Doepker leaves as a 2x state qualifier and a state placer (’18 eighth, 106). I believe he has 127 wins (31+39+33+24), which if correct places him fifth on the Panther career win list.
Collins leaves as a 3x state qualifier; I have him with 126 wins (32+25+27+42), which if correct ties him with Evan Morgan for sixth place for career wins. If I am wrong about either or both, I’m sure someone will set me straight.
In addition to Doepker and Collins, the Panthers also will lose Lambers, Barrett, Weber, Klayman, and Tolbert to graduation; best of luck to all seven in all their future endeavors.
I think it would be accurate to say that at the end of the regular season the Panthers were the best dual team in the Greater Cincinnati area.
Looking forward briefly to next year, here’s the Panther Lakota East sectional lineup minus the seniors but with the other starters’ classes as of next year:
106: Drew Magness (junior)
113:
120: Jack Roth (senior)
126:
132: Kody Kaimann (senior)
138: Aiden Williams (senior)
145:
152: Bartley Thomas (junior)
160:
170:
182:
195: Jack Tucker (senior)
220: Gaillin Mitchell (senior)
285:
Going into next year, you have to figure they all will hold a place somewhere in the lineup, leaving seven spots to be claimed. Here’s an admittedly brief and therefore incomplete list of some of the other Panthers who wrestled varsity and jv matches this year and their class next year (my apologies to those I missed):
Kyle Brogan (senior)
Ryan Roell (senior)
Beau Bryson (junior
Brent Stahl (junior)
Cody Wolf (junior)
Connor Woods (junior)
Neal Roth (sophomore)
Reece Chagman (sophomore)
Jimmy Finley (sophomore)
Liam Hulen (sophomore)
Andrew Thamann (sophomore).
Come August, we’ll see if an eighth grader who is talented enough to challenge for a varsity spot walks through the doors of Elder.
As for next year’s GCL-S, LaSalle will return all five of their state qualifiers: seniors Dustin Norris (120, ’19 champ 113), Cole Skinner (126, ’19 third 106), Casey Wiles (132, ’19 fourth 132), and Dillon Walker (182); and junior Jake Niffenegger (138, ’19 second 138). The Lancers also will return senior Darnai Heard (’19 seventh 145) and juniors Nate Hammann, Chase Stein (district qualifier), and Paul Haywood.
Moeller will return seniors Nolan Moore (3x district qualifier) and Brayden Zenni (’20 state qualifier, 132); juniors Brad Hornback (district qualifier), Kurt Thompson (’20 state qualifier, 160), and Jonathon Sanchez (district qualifier); and sophomore Joe Anastasia (district qualifier).
St. Xavier will return junior LaVeall Trimble (2x district qualifier) and sophomore Ty Wynn (district qualifier).
That’ll do it for me for this year’s wrestling thread; as always, it was great fun following the Panther grapplers and posting updates.
POTP is leaving his front porch and heading inside to hunker down like everyone else. Until next year’s wrestling thread, everyone be safe, and aloha.