Peyton Ramsey has entered The Transfer Portal

You're right that Jurkovec hasn't been granted a waiver yet by the NCAA, but from what I read a few weeks ago in The Athletic his family hired a lawyer so in my head I figured he'd get it approved.
Never ever ever tell this man he’s right ! Elder thread rule #1 ! Complete sarcasm! I believe in redemption so I’m hopeful he lands at Northwestern! Break out year and gets Northwestern to bowl game of some importance !

Lost a lot of respect for BC when they didn’t want to even play the bowl game against UC!

Same here. I was listening to WLW during the game and they couldn’t believe how hard BC was lobbying for the game to be cancelled during the weather delay. Terrible look for that program.

? The proper sentence structure should have been ... Do you know the difference between periods and exclamation points and how they are supposed to be used? They are not interchangeable. ?

At least BC would give him a chance to compete for a spot with a p5 school, live in a big city, and attend a great school. That would check all the boxes for me.

? The proper sentence structure should have been ... Do you know the difference between periods and exclamation points and how they are supposed to be used? They are not interchangeable. ?
OK! My sentence structure needs work! I will be certain to work on that moving forward! Thanks!

Peyton announced Northwestern on Twitter.

Best of luck to him. I know 20K+ fans already wearing purple, who will be rooting hard for him!

Last edited:
A great opportunity for Peyton on so many levels. I have been to Northwestern many times. A wonderful campus and curriculum to match. For Doug it's a five hour drive with a hour time change on Saturdays. Unless he knows someone with a small charter to fly him and the family to Evanston.

Congratulations to Peyton and all the best on your new challenge.

I went to Twitter after I saw this, unfollowed IU football. Followed Northwestern Football.

He still looks good in Purple.

He gets to avoid Ohio State and Michigan. Still get Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan State, and Nebraska.

Is the Andrew Marty mentioned in this column the kid from Wyoming HS?
Briefly mentioned in the thread. Seems like the QB will either be Ramsey or Hunter Johnson with Trent Greene’s son also having a distant shot.

Great article from the Chicago Tribune on Peyton going to Northwestern. Gives good insight on the transfer portal process and what was going on behind the scenes of him making a decision.

Column: Peyton Ramsey could have started at Indiana this season. Instead he’s at Northwestern — where he belonged in the first place.
Teddy Greenstein
By TEDDY GREENSTEIN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
MAR 10, 2020 | 12:06 PM

Northwestern’s new quarterback wanted to wear purple all along.

Peyton Ramsey “camped” at Northwestern, in recruiting parlance, before his junior year in high school. He performed well enough to receive a scholarship offer the next day.

From Illinois — not Northwestern.

Northwestern coaches preferred a different quarterback in its 2016 class, one who was deemed more athletic and happened to be ranked 20 spots higher in the 247sports composite of pro-style recruits.
That recruit was Aidan Smith, who lost the job last season.

Oops.

This time around, Ramsey held the pocket aces. He put up terrific numbers in 32 games for Indiana, improving his completion percentage each season from 65.4% to 66% to 68%.

His Hoosiers teammates raved about him, with receiver Nick Westbrook saying: “I love that man to the death of me” and top pass-catcher Whop Philyor offering: “He’s tough as nails. You see him out there and he’s taking hits and everything for us.”

And Ramsey graduated Indiana with a 3.6 GPA, making him immediately eligible as a graduate transfer.

After Ramsey entered the transfer portal, many schools envisioned him as their Joe Burrow, with Boston College, North Carolina State, Washington, Virginia and Fresno State among those hoping Ramsey would visit.

On Sunday morning over breakfast at Farmhouse in Evanston with Wildcats coaches Pat Fitzgerald, Mike Bajakian and Louis Ayeni, Ramsey was asked if he had any more questions.

According to his father, Doug, Ramsey replied: “No, I just want to let you know I enjoyed it and I don’t want to take any more visits. I want to play here.”

That was exactly what Fitzgerald wanted to hear after telling Ramsey, “We didn’t offer you the first time, but give us a chance.”
Ramsey was told he still will have to earn the starting job against TJ Green, who is recovering from a broken foot, Andrew Marty and Hunter Johnson, who transferred from Clemson with high hopes. Each begins the season on equal footing with Bajakian entering his first season as Northwestern offensive coordinator.

Per NCAA rules, Wildcats coaches cannot comment on Ramsey until he submits a deposit or signs a scholarship agreement, likely over the summer.

One coach who can, though, is Doug Ramsey. He’s the top dog at football power Elder High School in Cincinnati.

Ramsey named his three sons after quarterbacks: (Joe) Montana, Peyton (Manning) and Drew (Bledsoe). He played quarterback for one year at Louisville, and his favorite all-time signal-callers are Fran Tarkenton and Dan Marino.

Ramsey describes Peyton as a typical coach’s kid: “Smart, tough and competitive and all those things that coaches expect from their players.”

And he’s fine with Northwestern not promising Peyton the starting job because “as a coach that’s what I’m telling people. Nothing is handed to you.”

Considering the mobile, 216-pound Ramsey posted a 147.7 rating with a 13-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio — while Northwestern quarterbacks combined for a national-worst 84.5 rating and 6-to-15 ratio — winning the job should not be a problem.

One misconception that Doug Ramsey wanted to clear up: Last season Peyton lost his starting spot to Michael Penix Jr., only to re-emerge after Penix was injured during the Hoosiers’ breakthrough eight-win season.
A healthy Penix, everyone figured, would resume as the starter this fall.

That’s not the case, Doug Ramsey said.

“To be honest with you, he is not leaving Indiana because he wasn’t going to be the starter,” Doug Ramsey said. “Peyton met with (coach) Tom Allen right before Christmas and was told he’d start. He’s not running away. He went into the portal because there were some things he didn’t have control over, some things I won’t get into.

“It was the right time for him to see what was out there.”

What’s out there is Northwestern. Which is where Ramsey should have been all along.

Wonder if Trey noticed this quote from Ramsey as he seems to think Elder guarantees/gives away starting positions.

And he’s fine with Northwestern not promising Peyton the starting job because “as a coach that’s what I’m telling people. Nothing is handed to you.”

Great article from the Chicago Tribune on Peyton going to Northwestern. Gives good insight on the transfer portal process and what was going on behind the scenes of him making a decision.

Column: Peyton Ramsey could have started at Indiana this season. Instead he’s at Northwestern — where he belonged in the first place.
Teddy Greenstein
By TEDDY GREENSTEIN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
MAR 10, 2020 | 12:06 PM

Northwestern’s new quarterback wanted to wear purple all along.

Peyton Ramsey “camped” at Northwestern, in recruiting parlance, before his junior year in high school. He performed well enough to receive a scholarship offer the next day.

From Illinois — not Northwestern.

Northwestern coaches preferred a different quarterback in its 2016 class, one who was deemed more athletic and happened to be ranked 20 spots higher in the 247sports composite of pro-style recruits.
That recruit was Aidan Smith, who lost the job last season.

Oops.

This time around, Ramsey held the pocket aces. He put up terrific numbers in 32 games for Indiana, improving his completion percentage each season from 65.4% to 66% to 68%.

His Hoosiers teammates raved about him, with receiver Nick Westbrook saying: “I love that man to the death of me” and top pass-catcher Whop Philyor offering: “He’s tough as nails. You see him out there and he’s taking hits and everything for us.”

And Ramsey graduated Indiana with a 3.6 GPA, making him immediately eligible as a graduate transfer.

After Ramsey entered the transfer portal, many schools envisioned him as their Joe Burrow, with Boston College, North Carolina State, Washington, Virginia and Fresno State among those hoping Ramsey would visit.

On Sunday morning over breakfast at Farmhouse in Evanston with Wildcats coaches Pat Fitzgerald, Mike Bajakian and Louis Ayeni, Ramsey was asked if he had any more questions.

According to his father, Doug, Ramsey replied: “No, I just want to let you know I enjoyed it and I don’t want to take any more visits. I want to play here.”

That was exactly what Fitzgerald wanted to hear after telling Ramsey, “We didn’t offer you the first time, but give us a chance.”
Ramsey was told he still will have to earn the starting job against TJ Green, who is recovering from a broken foot, Andrew Marty and Hunter Johnson, who transferred from Clemson with high hopes. Each begins the season on equal footing with Bajakian entering his first season as Northwestern offensive coordinator.

Per NCAA rules, Wildcats coaches cannot comment on Ramsey until he submits a deposit or signs a scholarship agreement, likely over the summer.

One coach who can, though, is Doug Ramsey. He’s the top dog at football power Elder High School in Cincinnati.

Ramsey named his three sons after quarterbacks: (Joe) Montana, Peyton (Manning) and Drew (Bledsoe). He played quarterback for one year at Louisville, and his favorite all-time signal-callers are Fran Tarkenton and Dan Marino.

Ramsey describes Peyton as a typical coach’s kid: “Smart, tough and competitive and all those things that coaches expect from their players.”

Considering the mobile, 216-pound Ramsey posted a 147.7 rating with a 13-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio — while Northwestern quarterbacks combined for a national-worst 84.5 rating and 6-to-15 ratio — winning the job should not be a problem.

One misconception that Doug Ramsey wanted to clear up: Last season Peyton lost his starting spot to Michael Penix Jr., only to re-emerge after Penix was injured during the Hoosiers’ breakthrough eight-win season.
A healthy Penix, everyone figured, would resume as the starter this fall.

That’s not the case, Doug Ramsey said.

“To be honest with you, he is not leaving Indiana because he wasn’t going to be the starter,” Doug Ramsey said. “Peyton met with (coach) Tom Allen right before Christmas and was told he’d start. He’s not running away. He went into the portal because there were some things he didn’t have control over, some things I won’t get into.

“It was the right time for him to see what was out there.”

What’s out there is Northwestern. Which is where Ramsey should have been all along.

Peyton Ramsey has handled himself with class during his time at IU and anytime I saw a quote or interview he always said the right things. That is why this line by his father surprised me. All that sentence does is created unneeded speculation and quite honestly casts the coaching staff in a disparaging light. He could have simply said he wanted a new opportunity and left it at that. No one would have questioned getting a graduate degree at an outstanding institution like Northwestern.

I hope he ends up being the starter and has a great end to his college career. I am sure the Northwestern fans will embrace his toughness and style of play

Peyton Ramsey has handled himself with class during his time at IU and anytime I saw a quote or interview he always said the right things. That is why this line by his father surprised me. All that sentence does is created unneeded speculation and quite honestly casts the coaching staff in a disparaging light. He could have simply said he wanted a new opportunity and left it at that. No one would have questioned getting a graduate degree at an outstanding institution like Northwestern.

I hope he ends up being the starter and has a great end to his college career. I am sure the Northwestern fans will embrace his toughness and style of play
The coaching staff, head coach included, deserves to be cast in a disparaging light. The kid wouldn't say it so the father did.

The coaching staff, head coach included, deserves to be cast in a disparaging light. The kid wouldn't say it so the father did.

He was never Allen’s guy, he was recruited by Kevin Wilson. My guess is they’re worried about Pennix staying healthy and wanted to string Ramsey a long as an insurance policy. Peyton did the smart thing, bc at the end of the day, he’s got to do what’s in his best interest.