Suburban League Tournament - 1/4/20 at Copley

bucksman

Track Wrestling is showing this as pools to bracket with four pools (three or four wrestlers each) feeding into semifinal/finals based on pool finish. I recall last year they did this as a bracket tournament where losers before the semis could finish at best fifth. So it's going to be one of those two formats since it's a one-day event.

I did hear they are starting at 9:00 and running straight through.

Brecksville enters as the favorite with Wadsworth and Aurora right behind. Battle for fourth is probably Medina Highland over Copley.

Wrestlers to watch (in some cases, contingent on actually wrestling in the event):
106 - Yarbrough (Copley), Castro (Brecksville), Cuerbo (Aurora), Earnest (Wadsworth)
113 - Brugh (Wadsworth), Van Voorhis (Copley), Jett (Brecksville), R. Sagaris (Aurora), Haney (Medina Highland), Tillet (Kent Roosevelt), Marconi (Stow), Diturno (Twinsburg)
120 - Lewarchik (Wadsworth), Wells (Copley), Scordos (Brecksville), A. Sagaris (Aurora), Gayner (Revere), Voszonyi (Medina Highland), Humble (N. Royalton)
126 - Hacker (Wadsworth), Butler (Copley), DiJulius (Aurora), Miller (Brecksville), Hill (Medina Highland), M. Valencia (Barberton), Miller (N. Royalton)
132 - Carmany (Brecksville), Griffin (Wadsworth), Olszko (Nordonia), Baker (Revere)
138 - Bronstrup (Brecksville), Willingham (Aurora), Krauth (Revere), Shue (Wadsworth)
145 - Voinovich (Brecksville), Cumberledge (Aurora), J. Scavuzzo (Medina Highland), Bryson (Wadsworth), Angus (Nordonia), Reed (Stow), Butler (Revere)
152 - Patten (Stow), Lillard (Aurora), Walsh (Wadsworth), Lloyd (Brecksville), W. Scavuzzo (Medina Highland), C. Valencia (Barberton), Turle (Twinsburg)
160 - Fishback (Aurora), Messer (Wadsworth), Linder (Medina Highland), Kupniewski (N. Royalton), McStay (Hudson)
170 - Ethan Anderson (Aurora), Corrigan (Twinsburg), Rizzo (Brecksville), Shiarla (Wadsworth), Lehman (Revere), Stiles (Medina Highland), Austin (Copley)
182 - List (Wadsworth), Perrine (Nordonia), Evan Anderson (Aurora), Kanatzar (Tallmadge)
195 - Vanadia (Brecksville), Loparo (Wadsworth), Amato (Tallmadge), Rakic (Stow), Demuynck (Hudson)
220 - Hatcher (Brecksville), Gasic (N. Royalton), Jackson (Wadsworth), Blankenship (Tallmadge), O'Connell (Medina Highland)
285 -

Will Brugh be wrestling? If not what is his injury? Thanks!
I don’t think anyone will divulge the nature of an injury but I was told it wasn’t serious from the father of a teammate. He has been out 3 weeks so who knows. Does anyone know why they are holding the tournament so early this year?

I don’t think anyone will divulge the nature of an injury but I was told it wasn’t serious from the father of a teammate. He has been out 3 weeks so who knows. Does anyone know why they are holding the tournament so early this year?

Because the week before the sectional was an untenable date for a chunk of teams (I mean at least one team outright tanked the event at that date), and the date one week before state duals wasn't overly popular either.

Reactions: GWF
I had heard at ironman that it was his knee, that is where the injury occurred and hasn't wrestled since

Does anyone know why they are holding the tournament so early this year?

It was an open date and format all the coaches agreed upon at the end of year meeting. They scrapped the League Duals too as a way to free up scheduling.

Wadsworth without:
Lewarchick (120)
Walsh (152)
List (182)
Jackson (220)
Any other starters not wrestling?

Fishback vs Messer should be a tough match at 160. Haven't seen Messer this year but I saw Fishback at Brecksville and he was just an absolute stud there.

Fishback vs Messer should be a tough match at 160. Haven't seen Messer this year but I saw Fishback at Brecksville and he was just an absolute stud there.
Definitely! Not sure how this was seeded but Messer vs Fishback in the semi doesn't seem right. I’m curious how Messer was the 4 seed ?

Messer has been on fire and Fishback is coming off of a big weekend. Should be a dandy. Maybe best match of entire tournament.

Messer has been on fire and Fishback is coming off of a big weekend. Should be a dandy. Maybe best match of entire tournament.
I’m only following along on track so it’s hard to gauge how kids are wrestling but Messer went scoreless in the first period of the final two pool matches. His last match was relatively close. Seeding definitely off for 160 and I’m sure some other weights. The 3 seed, Gwinn from Barberton, loses his pool to the Wadsworth back up. Messer should have been the 2 or 3 seed to set a possible Fishback vs Messer final.

Brecksville took a lead after the semis where they went 7-2, Aurora was 4-7 in their semis, Wadsworth was 3-4. Wadsworth is missing at least one starter from what they're going to have the rest of the year, Brecksville and Aurora seem full strength.

I'm not sure how they're defining district placer, but from what I hear the seeding criteria was as follows:
2019 state placer
2019 district placer
2019 Suburban League champ
2019-20 record

Brecksville took a lead after the semis where they went 7-2, Aurora was 4-7 in their semis, Wadsworth was 3-4. Wadsworth is missing at least one starter from what they're going to have the rest of the year, Brecksville and Aurora seem full strength.

I'm not sure how they're defining district placer, but from what I hear the seeding criteria was as follows:
2019 state placer
2019 district placer
2019 Suburban League champ
2019-20 record

Lewarchick (120)
Walsh (152)
If Dom stays at 182, I’m not sure what that means for List. I’m hearing Jackson (220) might be done. For this tournament, Lewarchick would have been a significant point increase at 120. Walsh would have scored more. Having Dom at 195 and List at 182 would have been a point boost as well. Probably not enough to catch Brecksville but a solid second.

Definitely! Not sure how this was seeded but Messer vs Fishback in the semi doesn't seem right. I’m curious how Messer was the 4 seed ?
I'm not sure how seeding was done but that was a tough field at 160. Kupnewski wrestled Messer closer than I thought. Messer went OT with Fishback in semis. From what track is showing Linder turned Fishback in the finals and was up 9-2 at the end of the 1st period and Fishback came back to win 14-11 at the end. I'm shocked Linder was able to do that to Fishback at all. Linder had a tough Solon tournament losing 3x then was beaten by freshman Newsome at Liberty.

Brecksville 423.5 (6-1-2-0-3-1)
Wadsworth 359 (1-2-4-0-3-1)
Aurora 343 (1-3-5-2-0-0)

106: Yarbrough (Copley) won the league, Castro (Brecksville) was the runner-up; final not contested. Yarbrough pinned Cuerbo (Aurora) in the semi, Castro 9-2 over Earnest (Wadsworth) in the pool
113: Jett (Brecksville) won the league, beat Van Voorhis (Copley) 7-5 in pool and R. Sagaris (Aurora) 11-0 in the semi; Brugh (Wadsworth was runner-up, final not contested
120: Wells (Copley) won the league
126: Hacker (Wadsworth) 5-4 over Butler (Copley) in the final
132: Carmany (Brecksville) won the league
138: Bronstrup (Brecksville) 4-0 over Willingham (Aurora) in the final
145: Voinovich (Brecksville) over Cumberledge (Aurora) by forfeit in the final, Voinovich teched Bryson (Wadsworth) in pool; James Scavuzzo (Highland) was out, did not comepte at MIT either
152: Patten (Stow) over Will Scavuzzo (Highland) 12-2 in the final, the Patten over Lillard (Aurora) semifinal, which was 3-2 TB was really the final
160: Fishback (Aurora) over Linder (Highland) 14-11, was down 9-2 after one period, also beat Messer (Wadsworth) 7-5 OT in the semi; Messer 7-2 over Kupniewski (North Royalton) in pool
170: Lehman (Revere) 7-2 over Corrigan (Twinsburg) in the final after beating state qualifier Rizzo (Brecksville) 5-1 in the semi; Corrigan 9-7 over state placer EThan Anderson (Aurora) in his semi; Rizzo over Anderson in an un-contested bronze medal bout
182: Perrine (Nordonia) over Loparo (Wadsworth) 3-1 in overtime in a battle of state placers, Perrine 3-1 over Kanatzar (Tallmadge) in the semi
195: Vanadia (Brecksville) 18-8 major over Evan Anderson (Aurora) in the final
220: Hatcher (Brecksville) by pin in 3:21 over Gasic (North Royalton) in the final, Gasic pinned Blankenship (Tallmadge) in the semi
285: O'Connell (Hudson) pinned Luther (Revere) in 4:50 for gold

I'm not sure how seeding was done but that was a tough field at 160. Kupnewski wrestled Messer closer than I thought. Messer went OT with Fishback in semis. From what track is showing Linder turned Fishback in the finals and was up 9-2 at the end of the 1st period and Fishback came back to win 14-11 at the end. I'm shocked Linder was able to do that to Fishback at all. Linder had a tough Solon tournament losing 3x then was beaten by freshman Newsome at Liberty.
Linder had 1 week practice under his belt at Solon that had 8 ranked wrestlers at 170. Cut to 160 the next week at Liberty and lost 1st round to Newsome. Won next 6 matches to place 3rd at Liberty. Finished 1st at MIT last week in a descent field. Had 1st two takedowns against Fishback tonight. Also had him pinned in 1st period in everyone's eyes except the refs.

Linder had 1 week practice under his belt at Solon that had 8 ranked wrestlers at 170. Cut to 160 the next week at Liberty and lost 1st round to Newsome. Won next 6 matches to place 3rd at Liberty. Finished 1st at MIT last week in a descent field. Had 1st two takedowns against Fishback tonight. Also had him pinned in 1st period in everyone's eyes except the refs.
Are you saying everyone in the stands had a better view of the match than the ref on the mat?

As far as I'm concerned idk and haven't seen Linder but I watched Fishback take down the #4 kid in the country along with have a really dominant run at Brecksville. So Linder almost beating him is a pretty big deal in my eyes.

As far as I'm concerned idk and haven't seen Linder but I watched Fishback take down the #4 kid in the country along with have a really dominant run at Brecksville. So Linder almost beating him is a pretty big deal in my eyes.
It would be nice to hear a breakdown of the match from an impartial observer. He was up 9-2 after 1 and then was outscored 12-2. Or video if anyone has it

It would be nice to hear a breakdown of the match from an impartial observer. He was up 9-2 after 1 and then was outscored 12-2. Or video if anyone has it
Yeah, you’re right. But watch the tapes, Linder took him down 2x then stuck him on his back.... so unless you were there shut your mouth. Go ahead and say Fishback wrestled a match, he wrestled a great match...he beat Linder.... but Linder had him. So, unless you’re in charge of seeds sit down and shut your mouth..

Last edited:
Are you saying everyone in the stands had a better view of the match than the ref on the mat?
Ask the Aurora coaches who had a direct view of the mat. Watch the video. Why else would there be a tap out in the double bundle? Not saying that Linder is superior, but wrestled a stud very tough. Just responding to someone being surprised that Linder wrestled him tough.

Yeah, you’re right. But watch the tapes, Linder took him down 2x then stuck him on his back.... so unless you were there shut your mouth. Go ahead and say Fishback wrestled a match, he wrestled a great match...he beat Linder.... but Linder had him. So, unless you’re in charge of seeds sit down and shut your mouth..

Wow! Settle down Frances!

Ask the Aurora coaches who had a direct view of the mat. Watch the video. Why else would there be a tap out in the double bundle? Not saying that Linder is superior, but wrestled a stud very tough. Just responding to someone being surprised that Linder wrestled him tough.

lindor wrestler a tough match. He brought it. As far as tap out? A double bundle? Never heard of that move. Was he pinned? No but it was dang close. Rewatch the match Fishback gets off his back and then they stop it. While Fishback was on his back he got called for hands to the face which there for means 4 point near fall. He called injury time after they stopped the match. It was a great match and they will wrestle again in the dual. Good luck the rest of the season.

Settle down tough guy. This is why I asked for an impartial observer not someone who is obviously close to one of the wrestlers. I was genuinely curious how the match played out. When you see someone go up big right off the whistle and then get outscored big the rest of the match it can indicate the wrestler got “caught” or something flukey happened. I wanted to hear how it went down. You’re right, I wasn’t there. That’s why I’m asking! ??‍♂️ Based on another poster’s assessment, it sounds like Linder brought it and just plain outwrestled him the first period. He was obviously outwrestled the rest of the match.

lindor wrestler a tough match. He brought it. As far as tap out? A double bundle? Never heard of that move. Was he pinned? No but it was dang close. Rewatch the match Fishback gets off his back and then they stop it. While Fishback was on his back he got called for hands to the face which there for means 4 point near fall. He called injury time after they stopped the match. It was a great match and they will wrestle again in the dual. Good luck the rest of the season.
Thank you. This is more of the breakdown I was looking for. Facts of the match without a verbal assault lol. Can’t wait for the rematch!

If I remember correctly, Fishback beat Linder pretty convincingly in their dual meet last year. Fishback was up by major in the third before getting the pin.

In the end , last year doesn’t matter , this weekend doesn’t matter either ! Last weekend of the season matters ! The 2nd to last weekend helps out with where you will be placed in general for the state tournament. I don’t think mentioning kids injury on a social media format is appropriate. Good luck to all.

In the end , last year doesn’t matter , this weekend doesn’t matter either ! Last weekend of the season matters ! The 2nd to last weekend helps out with where you will be placed in general for the state tournament. I don’t think mentioning kids injury on a social media format is appropriate. Good luck to all.
Who mentioned a kids injury?

Who mentioned a kids injury?
Someone posted about a knee injury. Even if the world saw it, assuming it was a knee or knowing it is a knee injury then posting about it , it’s on this thread. Just not a good thing to post in my opinion. Mentioning a kid is hurt or got hurt and wishing well is a completely different thing !