Green Bulldogs 2019-20 Basketball Thread

Bull GreenDog

Under 2 weeks now until the season starts! After last year's glorious run to the Final Eight and first ever district championship, I am hyped to watch some Dawgs basketball this year. I think this team may be EVEN BETTER than last year's team, meaning this could be Green's best team ever! Why the bold prediction? Well, there are 4 returning starters and 6 seniors on the roster. All but one varsity player from last year return. Don't be fooled by our lack of size, this bunch is full of excellent athletes. Garrison Keeslar and Donovan O'Neill will be making highlight reel plays every game, and Shea Simmer and Ryan Smith will run teams off the court with their defensive skill. This is going to be a fast-paced team that will be able to outrun anyone. When this team gets going with their press and fast break, Look out! The Dawgs have won scrimmages against Livingston and Buchtel, Cleveland Heights, Cleveland central Catholic, and Lutheran East. Coach Kinsley will be running his proven system with veteran players that have experience playing together as a team. There may not be individual stars, but the Bulldogs will have great defense, teamwork, experience, and hustle. Cannot wait!

Looking forward to the season.....Will miss Martin but teamhas alot of experience. Trey Marting has a year under his belt and is a great athlete. O'neil needs to be a beat this year and keesler needs to steup up big time in absence of Martin. Simmer, I beleive, had a so so year last year and needs to step it up this year. Lack of depth may hurt them, but look forward to a great season.

Under 2 weeks now until the season starts! After last year's glorious run to the Final Eight and first ever district championship, I am hyped to watch some Dawgs basketball this year. I think this team may be EVEN BETTER than last year's team, meaning this could be Green's best team ever! Why the bold prediction? Well, there are 4 returning starters and 6 seniors on the roster. All but one varsity player from last year return. Don't be fooled by our lack of size, this bunch is full of excellent athletes. Garrison Keeslar and Donovan O'Neill will be making highlight reel plays every game, and Shea Simmer and Ryan Smith will run teams off the court with their defensive skill. This is going to be a fast-paced team that will be able to outrun anyone. When this team gets going with their press and fast break, Look out! The Dawgs have won scrimmages against Livingston and Buchtel, Cleveland Heights, Cleveland central Catholic, and Lutheran East. Coach Kinsley will be running his proven system with veteran players that have experience playing together as a team. There may not be individual stars, but the Bulldogs will have great defense, teamwork, experience, and hustle. Cannot wait!

Can't wait for the Dawgs and the Bulldogs to lock horns.:p

Should be a good game. I'm expecting Green to win the game but any outcome is possible this early in the season.

Green, underestimated by me, gave Mentor one of their more surprising (at least in my eyes) losses in tournament play last year. I was very surprised at how they handled the Cardinals from start to finish. Hopefully our paths cross again in March. Like Green, Mentor returns a lot of their key players from last season - including their top three scorers. Both teams are in the top 5 on Cleveland.com's pre-season poll. Good luck this season in a challenging Fed schedule.

First Home Game of the Season tonight against the Knights of Nordonia! Nordonia lost their opener 53-41 to Mayfield. The Dogs obliterated Stow on the road by 37 last Wednesday. Stow did not score a point in the third quarter and were held to 9 the whole second half. GHS defense absolutely suffocating (as I predicted it would be) constantly forcing turnovers. Our old Suburban League rival will need to bring its a-game to compete, but the Bulldogs cannot afford to take anyone lightly. Let's hope the Dogs take care of business and give the home crowd lots to cheer about today and throughout the year!

Hoover is coming up next for the Bulldogs. We blew a fourth quarter lead and lost the league opener to the Vikings last year. Can't happen again! I think Green is going to come in focused and really make a statement early in the year with their play tonight. Expect a big crowd. I predict Ryan Smith has a huge night for Green.

Green won a sloppy game.....Solid defense in second half. Keesler was out, ankle injury in practice I'm told.

Battle of Uniontown tomorrow night! Can Green make it 5 in a row? Key for Green is being able to defend Vaughn's outside shooting. Offensively Bulldogs need to take use the big guys and pound it down low. Blue Streaks aren't usually very big. Donovan O' Neil had a big game in the sectionals against Lake last year, he'll be a handful for Lake to defend. Kinsley has gotten the best of McBride the last two years. I think this game is winnable for the Dogs.

Been waiting for these kids to be seniors. If they stay healthy...another Federal league title and potential regional showing!

Been waiting for these kids to be seniors. If they stay healthy...another Federal league title and potential regional showing!
That's what I'm hoping. Were you at the Green- Lake game yesterday? I had to work late so I don't know how they looked.

I was going to predict McKinley to beat Green or give them a close game until I looked at there schedule

The Pups play Cleveland St Ignatius the following night.So there going to have to play a lot of 2nd stringers in the game against Green.

Some thoughts from the victory at Perry

This was the first game of the year where the shots really weren't falling, but the team pulled together by playing fundamentally sound ball. Shout out to Alex Casper and Trey Martin for coming off the bench to make some timely shots in the second half. The team's biggest strength is the depth.

Defense was fantastic. Haynes is the best player Green has seen so far and holding him to 11 is not easy. O'Neill did a terrific job defending him. Smith controlled the game in the backcourt on both sides of the ball. Perry's guards could do nothing. Panthers didn't know what to do when Haynes wasn't open. They need to find a second scoring option or they could be in trouble in league play. Holding a Federal League team to 26 is fantastic!

It was strange how for the whole first half Perry's student section was split into two. All guys on one side and all girls on the other side. They actually sat in separate sections with a decent amount of space between them. Come on Perry, it's a basketball game, not a middle school dance!

GHS never gave up more than seven points in a quarter, which is awesome. Through five games, they have given up 35 points total in the third quarter. Got a one week break before heading to the field house to face the Pups next Friday. Looking forward to it!

Next four games are gonna be tough. @McKinley, Solon, GlenOak, Jackson. Brutal. All winnable, but they have to stay focused. The level that they showed during the playoffs last year, that might be what it takes to win these games. Either way, we're all going to see what this team is made of. The easy early-season games to pad the stats are over now, it's time to get down to business! Come on Dogs, let's show everyone what Green is all about!

Home game against Solon this Saturday. Comets beat Lake last week and have a good basketball tradition. I think Green will be motivated after the loss to McKinley. Bulldogs are probably a slight favorite.

Green looked really sloppy against Solon and were lucky to come out with a win. I have no idea why they keep trying to push the ball down court with long passes....rarley do they pull it off. Oneill really struggling, Keesler will be a welcome return.

Green looked really sloppy against Solon and were lucky to come out with a win. I have no idea why they keep trying to push the ball down court with long passes....rarley do they pull it off. Oneill really struggling, Keesler will be a welcome return.
Agreed. They are playing too fast and rushing everything. Too many turnovers. Considering our size advantage, and the fact that we were leading the whole second half, slowing down the tempo and milking the clock would have made a lot of sense. Also think that we should take fewer 3 pointers and shoot higher percentage shots, especially the big guys. We need to play to our strengths!

Agreed. They are playing too fast and rushing everything. Too many turnovers. Considering our size advantage, and the fact that we were leading the whole second half, slowing down the tempo and milking the clock would have made a lot of sense. Also think that we should take fewer 3 pointers and shoot higher percentage shots, especially the big guys. We need to play to our strengths!
Yep.....Totally agree. Oddo is good around the basket and Martin is really athletic when driving. Puzzles me why Simmer doesnt take more shots (seemed like he took more as a sophmore) and why Smith continues to drive. He's not Kaleb. I get that you have to keep their defense on their toes but he rarley gets the layups. Also seems like Oneill gets in a funk right after they play McKinley every year.