Should the clock stop with under 1:00 left in the game after made basket?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
This is one rule change that I would want to make. Seems like an easy change and stops games from ending on a play where the offense can delay.

It's been proposed in the past, but has not garnered the support that is needed for the Rules Committee (multiple committees over the years) to experiment with this change.

There are already remedies to address a team "delaying" getting the ball inbounds.

Having said that, (and for what it's worth....which isn't much) I cannot recall any game that I have worked that a team did this, legally or illegally. Not one colleague of mine has ever mentioned that a game ended this way and I've never had a coach mention/inquire/complain about a game ending this way.

Again, like all other rule changes, if the matter becomes an issue on a wide scale, it will be addressed.

There are already remedies to address a team "delaying" getting the ball inbounds.

Having said that, (and for what it's worth....which isn't much) I cannot recall any game that I have worked that a team did this, legally or illegally. Not one colleague of mine has ever mentioned that a game ended this way and I've never had a coach mention/inquire/complain about a game ending this way.

Again, like all other rule changes, if the matter becomes an issue on a wide scale, it will be addressed.
I have seen multiple times team down 4 make a basket at 4 seconds left in regulation with no timeouts. The game is over since the inbounding can just hold. Is that what were talking about?

The OHSAA has very few rules that vary from the NFHS, so the NFHS would first need to adopt this nationwide. However, I think this is a reasonable rule change that would not cost schools any money and would be easy to implement nationwide. It fits all the criteria, IMO.

Would be a great rule IMO, however just another thing for refs and clock operator to keep track of. I would be in favor of adding this rule and decreasing the number of timeouts given to each team to either 3 or 4. 5 timeouts is way too many, but they are needed to stop clock at the end of the game in many situations.

I agree with this. Sounds a little like a solution in search of a problem.

I have seen multiple times team down 4 make a basket at 4 seconds left in regulation with no timeouts. The game is over since the inbounding can just hold. Is that what were talking about?
Think that is what we are considering. Have also seen a team make a basket with 4 seconds left to take the lead then proceed to act as moving screens to prevent the clear inbounds of the ball. The remedy in either case is to save a timeout to stop the clock. You had five timeouts available, keep one in preparation for needing to stop the clock as time runs out. A second option if it is a stopped clock you want is to foul the opponent on the floor before they can get a shot off especially if there are at least 6 team fouls.

Going to say no to this rule as it is a slippery slope to bringing in the shot clock. I have thought many times as team A is 5 points behind team B, so team A starts fouling team B, why not start the clock after the second made free throw just like any other offensive basket? This awards team B by running a little more clock and since team A can run the baseline following a made basket, that is same as a field goal anytime during the game.

Please no.

We have enough trouble with this rule at the lower college levels. High school timers (and unfortunately, many officials) do not need another thing to potentially screw up in crunch time.

Think that is what we are considering. Have also seen a team make a basket with 4 seconds left to take the lead then proceed to act as moving screens to prevent the clear inbounds of the ball. The remedy in either case is to save a timeout to stop the clock. You had five timeouts available, keep one in preparation for needing to stop the clock as time runs out. A second option if it is a stopped clock you want is to foul the opponent on the floor before they can get a shot off especially if there are at least 6 team fouls.

Going to say no to this rule as it is a slippery slope to bringing in the shot clock. I have thought many times as team A is 5 points behind team B, so team A starts fouling team B, why not start the clock after the second made free throw just like any other offensive basket? This awards team B by running a little more clock and since team A can run the baseline following a made basket, that is same as a field goal anytime during the game.

God please anything that creates a shot clock. These maniacal head coaches have seemingly killed the fast break

I
Would be a great rule IMO, however just another thing for refs and clock operator to keep track of. I would be in favor of adding this rule and decreasing the number of timeouts given to each team to either 3 or 4. 5 timeouts is way too many, but they are needed to stop clock at the end of the game in many situations.
Would rather see 2 TO full, and the rest simply stopping of clock.

No and a team being fouled should have the option of inbounding the ball instead of shooting.
I go back and forth on this. This, to me, especially makes sense when the foul is committed off the ball. If a player is going for a steal and commits a foul, so be it. But when they jump on the back of the worst free throw shooter on the other team before the inbound pass, then that gets pretty ridiculous. Then again, there is a lot to be said about making a team hit its free throws. And if the team in the lead has a good defender who couldn't make a free throw if the basket were twice as big, then make the coach make the decision to play him or sit him. So, I can see the argument to make rule changes that favor the team trying to catch up, and I can see the argument to make rule changes that favor the team in the lead. Given there are pros and cons to each of them, likely the best scenario is to stay with what we've got. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

Please.....

There's a reason why this silliness used only in gimmick (TBT) settings.
My post was a little tongue-in-cheek. Although, to be honest, it kind of grew on me as I watched the TBT. It was gimmicky, but it was also refreshing. I'm not sure I'd like it on a routine basis in regular games, but especially for tournaments like Flying to the Hoops, for example, where you have the next teams waiting to play, I could see the charm.