Moeller coach resigns

Well, at least we know that Moe got the last name right :)

As long as they run the program in the right way and are successful idc if the coaches name is Xavier LaSalle Elder lol. Besides we have never won a state title with at Moeller Alum as head coach, only with Lancer and Bomber alum besides where ever Faust went. CJ maybe?

Great hire. I wonder who he will bring on staff, and if anyone from EKU will come along with him? Also, what do you think he will be making?

Great hire. I wonder who he will bring on staff, and if anyone from EKU will come along with him? Also, what do you think he will be making?

70-80k if I had to guess. Helps that he was recently let go by EKU so they wernt in a bidding war. Not sure how many coaches would want to go with him from EKU, I assume assistants make a lot more for an FCS team than HS. I do hope he retains a few of the current Moe assistants.

70-80k if I had to guess. Helps that he was recently let go by EKU so they wernt in a bidding war. Not sure how many coaches would want to go with him from EKU, I assume assistants make a lot more for an FCS team than HS. I do hope he retains a few of the current Moe assistants.

Who you want a see come back? They was 2-8 and bad at every position group. He need to clean house and start fresh. Maybe he a bring some LaSalle coaches over?

How you gona throw out a random number and when someone ask you about it say you have no idea?? smh

I can't guess? Sorry for not lying and acting like I have some kind of insider information and perpetuate rumors. And they should keep the strength coach Ross and DL coach Tony Acito. Tony has been putting out scholarship players for 15 years. Coached all over cincinnati and MSJ. Most importantly hes a really good teacher, is able to coach kids up very well and works well with high school kids. That's what this staff needs is guys who are more familiar with high school kids considering the coach is coming from college ranks. Tonys D-line operate like a small college program. Players are expected to play with gap discipline and fundamentally correct. There's no playing with your dominant hand down in your stance all the time. A lot of college players don't/can't play with either hand down.

In fact one of his players (Pabst) was just offered by the University of Akron today.

I can't guess? Sorry for not lying and acting like I have some kind of insider information and perpetuate rumors. And they should keep the strength coach Ross and DL coach Tony Acito. Tony has been putting out scholarship players for 15 years. Coached all over cincinnati and MSJ. Most importantly hes a really good teacher, is able to coach kids up very well and works well with high school kids. That's what this staff needs is guys who are more familiar with high school kids considering the coach is coming from college ranks. Tonys D-line operate like a small college program. Players are expected to play with gap discipline and fundamentally correct. There's no playing with your dominant hand down in your stance all the time. A lot of college players don't/can't play with either hand down.

In fact one of his players (Pabst) was just offered by the University of Akron today.
Agree with Acito. Always been a huge fan of his D-Lines.

Ross is staying. He's hired by the Athletic Department and handles the strength programs for all the teams at Moeller.

Ross is staying. He's hired by the Athletic Department and handles the strength programs for all the teams at Moeller.
Ross has been a fantastic addition to Moeller athletics. A significant reduction in training injuries was noticible even his first year.

I don’t really know much about coach Elder, other than that unfortunate name, but wish him the best. Having a coach with College connections and an insider understanding of the recruiting process is a huge draw for parents and players. Winning is of course the goal, but having guys get the chance to play at the next level and earn scholarships is equally important these days. Rosfeld in just one year did a great job with this because of his experience at UC- Nauman did not and it left many parents and kids understandably frustrated.

Ross has been a fantastic addition to Moeller athletics. A significant reduction in training injuries was noticible even his first year.

I don’t really know much about coach Elder, other than that unfortunate name, but wish him the best. Having a coach with College connections and an insider understanding of the recruiting process is a huge draw for parents and players. Winning is of course the goal, but having guys get the chance to play at the next level and earn scholarships is equally important these days. Rosfeld in just one year did a great job with this because of his experience at UC- Nauman did not and it left many parents and kids understandably frustrated.

I guess with my name I am permitted to root for both my Panthers and Coach Elder at Moeller!! Best of both worlds I suppose!

I’m not sure if adding a picture on here is possible or not, I’m getting too old! But I came across the following looking at Mark Elder’s Facebook, from what it seems to be a former EKU/ Cov. Catholic player and current CovCath coach Alex Shelton wrote about Mark Elder:

“Congratulations to Mark Elder for taking over the Moeller football program. Moeller has got themselves an incredible coach, father, and Catholic to lead them. It was an honor being recruited by and playing for Coach Elder at EKU these past 3 seasons and I have learned so much from him. I owe him a great deal as he offered me a scholarship to play D1 football, fulfill a childhood dream of mine, and create some bonds and relationships that I will cherish forever! I cannot wait to watch you bring Moeller back to the top of Ohio football, compete for state championships, and lead young men in life. Effort, Toughness, Teammate! Welcome back to Cincinnati coach!”

Great to see former players so supportive of Coach Elder and this one example shows how good of a hire this was! Cannot wait for Elder/ Moeller game this year!

Here are a couple articles:

Looks like the AD at EKU resigned and Elder's contract was set to expire in Dec anyway. Last two seasons were 7-4 and 7-5 and it really looked like he was turning it around, so the AD resignation has got to be what that was about.

Enquirer Article:

Having the college credentials and connections will be a needed shot in the arm. Kids wanting to get a college football scholarship might want to play there again.

So is he making $70-80k just to coach football or does he hold an administrative position as well?
Mark Elder will make around $115k annually. That figure is an aggregate of “salary” and ancillary compensation from booster funds, endowment to the position, etc All told, he will be WELL compensated. He better earn it.

Your whole post is FALSE. Not even close, and Moe doesn’t have “boosters” BTW

Mark Elder will make around $115k annually. That figure is an aggregate of “salary” and ancillary compensation from booster funds, endowment to the position, etc All told, he will be WELL compensated. He better earn it.

If you're counting on a boosters club in high school to pay your football coach, it seems you may have lost some perspective.

Anyone else find this a little absurd (if true)?

Diocesan schools have Archbishop oversight on budget issues. Using Boosters may side step that issue.
Exactly. That’s why I mentioned the overall compensation being an aggregate of salary and ancillary sources. Obviously, it’s a private entity, so it won’t be disclosed but the salary is probably probably around $70k. The rest is comprised of endowment and booster $. Arnold Rothstein doesn’t seem to agree but I’m confident in what I’ve been told. Total compensation is around $115k. Mark Elder damn near didn’t accept the offer if Moeller couldn’t get near that number. Remember, this is a guy who was making well over $200k previously so exercise some logic. Moeller had to pay more than which they were maybe comfortable.

For a solid program manager and coach, this is the correct number. Again, this stuff is important to Moeller and its constituents. they are willing to provide the resources. It is the market place. Moeller's boosters, fans and parents darn sure are not tolerating another season like the last. Like I said in a previous post, when tuition is close to 15K, parents expect the best. No excuses.

Last edited: