Northern Lakes League 2019 (NLL)

Been down this road. I KNOW what I KNOW. You HEARD what you HEARD. Big difference.

A CCHS fanboy sneaking in the bushes at the Alexander residence was creepy. I could not tell you where he lived. I know they rented a place in WLS. I also KNOW Joe Palka did not recruit him for football.

Do they go looking? How do they know who to give the "waivers" to? Show up to a Mid-City game and you will have your answers. They are not the only ones either. Is what it is, but to pretend it is something else, or to suggest they do not go "looking for them" is ridiculous.

Talk about what you know.

So you can sit there with a straight face and say they don't recruit.

All credibility is gone...

So you’re saying there should be no limit of jurisdiction of their recruiting area?
So you can sit there with a straight face and say they don't recruit.

All credibility is gone...

Well since its a closed district they call it move-ins. I believe the RB and QB are both from Michigan.

So you’re saying there should be no limit of jurisdiction of their recruiting area?

Well since its a closed district they call it move-ins. I believe the RB and QB are both from Michigan.
Keller lives in Michigan. He can go to Whitmer because his dad works for Washington Local. He can play for Whitmer because he has been going to Washington Local schools since he was little. His was not a recruiting situation by any stretch. His dad was the QB there back in the day.

Whitmer may have had other issues in the recruiting arena. But Keller is not one of those.

Anthony Wayne 56 Maumee 0
Perrysburg 38 Bowling Green 21
Springfield 49 Southview 7
Northview 28 Napoleon 17

AW vs Maumee wont be close. It will be a running clock before the game starts.

Perrysburg & BG will battle for a quarter and a half before PBurg pulls away late in the first half.

Springfield will dominate Southview. It will be a running clock at halftime.

Northview and Napoleon will be a good game. But Northview is deeper and will wear down Napoleon and pull away in the 4th.

Whimer tried to recuit me! For that 2012 team I think it was. Palka, I think it was Palka saw me, four dogs, pop and popcorn in hand and said "we can use you, we'll get you an apartment and an Ideal Gold Card." I had to say "no," my loyalties were elsewhere. He backed off. Good thing he didn't know about the Tom's Italian under my jacket or he'd have broken me down.

Northview 28 Napoleon 17

Hard to quibble except for a few points here or there. I've not seem them but BG's score show a porous D so I might give PB's seconds and thirds a couple more TDs. At the same time, it does seem like BG pulls off a but upset on occasions, so this could happen. I guess that's enough equivocation for one day.

CHS71...as an former coach/administrator, what do you think Maumee should do? I have been tossing ideas out and am curious what you would do if you were the AD at Maumee?

Conferences should not necessarily be all encompassing. I'd rather have one giant conference with different divisions based on program quality. Central is great at football. Girls soccer they are decent. Whitmer is great at football. Girls soccer they are not good at all. Clay is average at football. Girls soccer they are pretty solid.

I'd rather have a mega conference with relegation. The top programs in the top division. Example:

Girls Soccer Gold Division: AW, NV, PB, NDA, SUA, Clay, Findlay, SV
Girls Soccer Silver Division: Central, Maumee, Rossford, Springfield, BG, Eastwood, Liberty Center, Napoleon
Girls Soccer Bronze Division: Lima, Fremont, Whitmer, Bowsher, Start, Scott, Waite, Rogers, Woodward

Football Gold Division: Central, Whitmer, AW, SF, SJJ, PBurg, Springfield, Findlay
Football Silver Division: NV, BG, Lima, Napoleon, Clay, Start, Rogers, SV
Football Bronze Division: Fremont, Maumee,

just an example. Check out the Northwest Hockey League for something similar.

Its hard to just throw away decades of conference tradition and rivalries. I think that the OCC is a unique situation because of the proximity of all the schools and their rapid growth over the years.

Its hard to just throw away decades of conference tradition and rivalries. I think that the OCC is a unique situation because of the proximity of all the schools and their rapid growth over the years.
True. You would still want to keep some of those rivalries. But something tiered based on program strength is better, in my opinion. And some schools can move up based on getting a better program or slipping. Central used to be the dominate girls basketball team for a long time. Now they are still pretty good, just not dominate. Southview won the D2 title not too long ago and could have beaten anyone in the area. Now they aren't very good. It wasn't so long ago that Anthony Wayne was just an average to slightly above average program. But they are now dominating in multiple sports.

True. You would still want to keep some of those rivalries. But something tiered based on program strength is better, in my opinion. And some schools can move up based on getting a better program or slipping. Central used to be the dominate girls basketball team for a long time. Now they are still pretty good, just not dominate. Southview won the D2 title not too long ago and could have beaten anyone in the area. Now they aren't very good. It wasn't so long ago that Anthony Wayne was just an average to slightly above average program. But they are now dominating in multiple sports.

I remember Rossford beating Perrysburg three years in a row and AW at least twice with enrollment only slightly higher than it is now. Ironically, the only NLL team that Rossford hasn't beaten since I've lived here is Maumee. I can't remember if Rossford beat them in 2002 when they won the NLL.

Maumee won 12-10 that year. Negated Darren Paige in the rain. Boles had some really gritty teams in that stretch with guys like Schneider and Goatley.

Maumee won 12-10 that year. Negated Darren Paige in the rain. Boles had some really gritty teams in that stretch with guys like Schneider and Goatley.

I still remember Paige's dad or uncle starting a fight at the Rossford-Maumee basketball game that year over the football game. Maumee was 6 INTs by Alex Reece in a game against a terrible BG team away from winning the NLL that year too.

Yep. Right before SV began their dominant stretch. Right after Rossford ended a 1-19 streak the year before.

Lost in the playoffs to Vicars and Delta. Had 4 chances to tie the game from inside the 10 with 6'3" Kyle Ingraham single-covered by a 5'7" DB and never threw the ball his way.

Nate Kmic was a junior, but Rossford couldn't stop Mark Nagle, Delta's 230 LB state champion wrestler fullback. 3 or 4 yards every time he got the ball, dragging tacklers with him. I think that Delta team made it to the state semis.

Biggest problem I see for AW now is getting their starters enough playing time the final two weeks of the season so that they are not rusty in Week #11 when the playoffs start.

As an AW fan, I'm looking at their final regular season game against Springfield. I hope the Blue Devils play like their hair is on fire, throwing a scare into the Generals as the playoffs loom ahead. It wouldn't really break my heart to see the Generals lose this game -- perhaps as a wake up call.

Northview 28 Napoleon 17

AW vs Maumee wont be close. It will be a running clock before the game starts.

Perrysburg & BG will battle for a quarter and a half before PBurg pulls away late in the first half.

Springfield will dominate Southview. It will be a running clock at halftime.

Northview and Napoleon will be a good game. But Northview is deeper and will wear down Napoleon and pull away in the 4th.

Anthony Wayne 62 Maumee 0
Perrysburg 49 Bowling Green 14
Springfield 49 Southview 21
Napoleon 28 Northview 24

Pretty much as expected for 3 of them. But I got Northview wrong again. I picked them to lose last week and then ended up winning. I thought they would pull it out this week and then ended up losing.

I do not believe he is retiring from teaching as he more than likely does not have enough time in. He will wind up somewhere else as there is such a demand for HS coaches.

It is easy to take shots at the guy but Springfield could not get out of their own way prior to Gooch. From Gwin to Gooch, Springfield went through 3 (?) coaches and a bunch of mediocrity. With Gooch the team won, the facilities were improved, he sent a gob of kids to the next level, and levies passed. Lets see how the district and football team do post Gucciardo?

He was given a chance to resign and he did. He isn't teaching there anymore either

Last edited: