Recent content by zebrastripes

1. Z

What was the game of the decade?

I understand completely. That's why the rules allow a player to grab the rim for safety. Unfortunately, this kid may have grabbed it for safety initially, but while hanging on he chose to showboat. If you can't see that he intentionally kicks his legs forward, I can't help you. Not only that...
  2. Z

This is the key. When you grab the rim and do something you don't have to do, a technical foul is likely coming your way. I don't know how anyone can watch the video and not think "the kid intentionally swung his legs forward." It's too bad that he made that poor decision in the last minute of...
  3. Z

It’s only “not a T” for those who don’t know the rule (or are ignorant, or know the rule but think “the kids should decide the game”).
  4. Z

Exactly, he intentionally swung himself forward such that his body went parallel to the ground. No amount of “momentum” would cause that on its own. You can see the kid’s elbows bend and his legs kick up and no players around him–that was not the dunk itself that caused that. And if he doesn’t...
  5. Z

Actually, it was 100 percent the correct call and the official should be (and was, by people who matter) praised for having the conviction to make it, knowing the backlash and threats he would receive.
  6. Z

Are cheerleaders essential to the game?

We are paid to officiate basketball. Just like we aren't paid to police the spectators (but we should be at this rate), we aren't paid to accommodate cheerleaders. First HS game of the season last year, of course there were visiting cheerleaders on the endline (which was already pretty tight at...
  7. Z

Okay Mr. Holier-than-thou, that doesn't mean I have to like it when cheerleaders encroach upon the room I have along the endline to do my job. And of course, Lord forbid you inadvertently run over one who gets in the way or you accidentally brush one of their breasts - someone's mommy or daddy...
  8. Z

What do we have to do to stop this behavior ??

If officials started having more fans removed regularly and were unequivocally supported for doing so (or if game administrators would grow the stones to do it since it is their job, after all), you would see this behavior problem get fixed really quick.
  9. Z

Most people who behave atrociously towards officials justify it by "fighting for their guys" or some stupid BS cliche like that. And unfortunately too many are willing to give them a pass because officials are an easy scapegoat that people love to hate. What's funny is more often than not, when...
  10. Z

Found "that guy."
  11. Z

And he probably thought he was justified in behaving like an idiot because of this opinion. Alas, not much has changed today.
  12. Z

All the more reason to get rid of the practice entirely. ;)
  13. Z

The problem is it's not supposed to be the officials' job to police the stands. But it becomes our job when game administrators don't do it, and then we are the bad guys. Unfortunately too many ADs don't do their job until we ask them to - so they can pass the buck.
  14. Z

No. As a referee who has worked in other states where cheerleaders aren't on the endline, it's one of the most obnoxious things about officiating in Ohio. And if you try to make them move when they're in the way, you stick out like a sore thumb. When in Rome...