Recent content by sehs

1. S

2020 St. Edward Football

Responding to a few posts here. National Titles are meaningless. Unless you schedule a team like St. John Bosco, IMG Academy or whoever and beat them handily, I don't know that it will ever change the national perception enough for the votes to come our way. Hardly anything like that helps us...
  2. S

2020 St. Edward Football

Athlete: Carney (hooper, quarterback and if he didn't play quarterback he would have been a helluva linebacker) Passer: Frohnapple (between he and Kean I think the most traditional pocket passers we've had in the last 20 years) Runner: Burke (I don't think I ever saw him lose yards, different...
  3. S

2020 St. Edward Football

Great post and point. It's not that junior quarterbacks can't do well, but I do think there is something to be said for a program that has sustained success for a long time and a junior feeling that pressure. Even with Carney, the football program was still attempting to ascend to being a...
  4. S

2020 St. Edward Football

In the "win now" mode I wonder if the coaching staff figures if their path to wins is more using an athletic defense to snuff out drives and force turnovers and then pound the ball with a good o-line. The passing game works off of the run and it is nice to see more receivers get involved like...
  5. S

OHSAA Ice Hockey 2020

Ed's will have a strong team and with Ignatius losing much of their Varsity to graduation, I think they will compete really well. Year 2 with a new coach.
  6. S

2020 St. Ignatius Football

Excellent post. I would also say that while it pays dividends athletically for sure, it also pays dividends for the entire community.
  7. S

2020 St. Edward Football

I'm surprised Ignatius only has 4 at the most on a winning streak. Between their dominance in the late 80s and through the 90s and the early edge they had in the 50s, I would have thought they would have had 5 or more at one time. If we played in the 60s, I think it would have probably happened!
  8. S

2020 St. Edward Football

I'm sure it has happened before, we were the dominant team in the 70s but I think the shut outs this year are more due to the Wildcat's lack of game experience this season rather than a harbinger about their program. The St. Ed's freshmen are big and talented but at that level that's all you...
  9. S

Holy War 2020

This game will be a bit of a tune up. It is a rivalry game but I suspect if they play again in the playoffs it will be a much closer contest regardless of tomorrow night. A lot of advantages to Ed's going into it but that's happened before and we've lost. Keeping with the theme of 2020, it's...
  10. S

Holy War 2020

I think the last time the score was that one sided was the Crawford/Schurmur team that beat Lerner's Ignatius squad 37-0. As juniors they lost at the Varsity level 23-17 or something like that, Shaun Crawford had a tough game. Then he took over the game his senior year for one of Ed's biggest...
  11. S

2020 St. Edward Football

Totally agree with this. Their system since 2010 hasn't really asked their quarterbacks to do a lot of traditional pro-style play. Going all the way back to Shaun Carney, who could make a case to be considered among one of the St. Ed's greats at the position, I can't remember the last time we...
  12. S

2020 St. Edward Football

Last night's game is a nice building block. They took a couple punches and punched back, made plays when they had to. The defensive stand at the 6 after a turnover was huge! It was nice to see the running game provide some consistency on offense, they will need to continue that. Finding some...
  13. S

2020 St. Edward Football

I'm not sure anyone thought that 35-0 was going to be the final score. They were a better team at most positions and had much more experience. No need to panic for Eagles' fans. Through two games we have barely had a run game, which is a young qb's best friend. Massillon and Hoban are big...
  14. S

2020 St. Edward Football

I agree with that. They have the district advantages that Mentor has in being larger, well funded and good facilities. This is not to say that they have not had success but they have not really been a state contender, just a perennial playoff team. Scheduling tougher would be a good next step...
  15. S

2020 St. Edward Football

I'd love to see them branch out a bit. If the Solons, Euclids, and others of the world can get like Mentor then high school football in NEO will be pretty healthy. The big public schools need a solid program and to compete consistently with Ed's and Ignatius.